• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Mario Match-Up Discussion Thread

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
There you go soul now quit bugging me
........................... Thanx?

ill say make sure your not always offensive, Utilt beats most of his aerials, falcons Dthrow
can get you faired, uairs juggle falcon pretty well, do not get caught in the air, and angle your smash upwards.......it helps

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
only thing Im wondering what should I do if I get setup in Uair....personnaly when I do know im begn Uair across the stage I attemp a Up b breaker but well any idea...Falcon is pretty an anti DI character for this

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I want to bring this back. I know its been a while but i would like to do discussions again. The only problem is if there is even anyone so discuss the match ups with.......any takers?

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
I want to bring this back. I know its been a while but i would like to do discussions again. The only problem is if there is even anyone so discuss the match ups with.......any takers?
ehhh no point. i think it's just me and you at this point. instead of discussing match-ups, we could give each other advice on match-ups. because any difference in how we play our match-ups would lead to a discussion with no resolution! what are your fave match-ups bro?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
im surprised that mario didnt go up on the tier list at all when mango was ****** everyone with mario. i guess everyone was like "oh, it's just mango"

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Mario always has a bunch of mediocre, relevant tools. This is better than most other characters in his tier placing can say.

I think this game generally rewards extremes though. Being good at a handful of things and sucking at other stuff is probably better than being consistently subpar.

His f-smash is good though.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
his ground moves are pretty good, and his aerials are good for comboing, but his KO power is kind of low. the thing is, mario really relies on combos, so in order to be good with him you have to be able to 0-death your opponent damn near everytime you hit him, and because he doesnt have a good aerial finisher like doc does, the job just becomes that much harder. and you have to have amazing spacing because of his short range. i do love his fsmash though

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
ok somewhere down the line I lost myself in the competition that is melee. I only played this game to really keep myself out of trouble. i used to be a person to easily fall under peer pressure and I avoided it by playing melee. I wanted to always get better and knew that changing mains was the best option I have but thats not what I ever really wanted. I played this game because I enjoyed this game so i think im actually going to go back to mario......somebody has to to rep mario and its might as well be me

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
You used to be a Mario main, didn'tcha? But I see that weegee-vatar right there, lol.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Mario's got everything he needs to win vs conventional combat.

Cheese sucks.

I think he's the quintessential mid-tier. He's playable and he's got winning potential but he's subpar compared to the good characters so his handler needs to be hella good. He's like the least fraudulent character ever.

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys any anti mario advice for a marth player. ive got the edge guarding down thats about it lol. Im aware of marios sh bair then hew free a few frames. THats about it. Thanks :). Basically principal basics that a player needs to beat mario as marth. Thank you. :)

j3ly

Smash Champion
Hey guys any anti mario advice for a marth player. ive got the edge guarding down thats about it lol. Im aware of marios sh bair then hew free a few frames. THats about it. Thanks :). Basically principal basics that a player needs to beat mario as marth. Thank you. :)
You shouldn't have too much trouble, counter to edgeguard and never approach.

Marth can do an excellent job keeping mario out simply by doing a late fair infront of him (that is, not trying to hit mario - just making a wall infront of him), then reacting to marios reaction with jab/dtilt or early fair/nair autocancel. Repeat the process until you can get mario offstage with a tippered ftilt, then edgeguard with counter/fair.

Dont try to fsmash mario ever really - you'll get punished way more often than you hit him. Every time you miss, a good mario is going to waveshield then wavedash grab and you're in big big trouble.. everytime you want to fsmash, dtilt -> fair instead. It will improve your game in a big way.

TheLake

Smash Master
I suck at edgeguarding,

Whats the toughest hit to hit with as mario?

like to punish someone who just landed

is nair good enough?

or do I bair?

I feel like folks with good DI just dont get torn apart enough by any of those moves

or am I wrong?

j3ly

Smash Champion
I suck at edgeguarding,

is nair good enough?

or do I bair?

I feel like folks with good DI just dont get torn apart enough by any of those moves

or am I wrong?
It really depends on the situation. 60%-80% on shiek and marth you definatly want to dthrow -> pummel -> fsmash. With fox and falco, you want to uthrow -> wavedash fsmash between 60% and 90%. Ganon you want to dthrow -> uair -> combo, and peach.... well you normally want to hit her with a fair instead of a throw, because it's a better setup.

A little lower if they're near the edge, you might want to bair waveland -> something. You could scoop them up with uair -> nair, you could do a late nair -> uair/reverse bair... you could fair -> fsmash.

Kirbykaze gave some good general advice. Most characters want to grab as often as possible - I'd take that advice and follow it if you haven't already. Fair is better sometimes as the opponent can't DI behind you like they can on a throw, but fair isn't as safe and easy as grab.

I just know you do name searches so, HIYA KIRBY.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
On a character who has landing lag during recovery? Fair into a smash attack is pretty good. You could also just hit them before they get to the "landing lag during recovery" step because Mario can go pretty far and I feel people don't do this enough with him but it's kind of tricky so I can also appreciate the consistency of a lag punish.

Ledgedashing by someone into f-smash or d-smash is pretty solid too. Stand > grab > move is pretty solid and will generally lead to good things. If Sheik (or another character [Ganon in this case, I suppose]) is at d-throw CGable percent then I almost strictly recommend you do that just because it will give you the most bang for your buck and you will probably do a good chunk with regrabs and then put them back offstage to be ***** (assuming you don't fail the throw combo as a result of sucking).

Hi j3ly. SWF doesn't let you namesearch lately using the main search feature and I'm not checking character boards individually because of the minute wait between searches. Otherwise I would have been here sooner.

On Fox and Falco, while I agree that throw > move is good for punishing illusion lag I also think fair > move (likely d-smash, although other stuff sometimes works) and ledgedash into u-tilt / u-smash can also provide solid follows. Ledgedash > d-smash is also solid simply because it hits hard and comes out fast and not putting them in the air can sometimes be useful to keep them from gaining height. The different trajectories on the alternative launchers can sometimes be important for preventing them from hitting a platform to ensure you get an aerial. Or they can lead into a cleaner uair follow (or just more u-tilts prior to knocking them back off). Just some food for thought. Otherwise I generally agree with j3ly.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
I suck at edgeguarding,

is nair good enough?

or do I bair?

or am I wrong?
vs fox/falco jump off the edge and nair back to the edge, this will egdeguard their side B more effectively

j3ly

Smash Champion
vs fox/falco jump off the edge and nair back to the edge, this will egdeguard their side B more effectively
The cape is a more effective way to achieve this without risking getting spiked/jew combo'd. If your opponent is one of the few people who knows to tumble out of sideB cape, you need to ledgegrab and invincible nair the upB

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
The cape is a more effective way to achieve this without risking getting spiked/jew combo'd. If your opponent is one of the few people who knows to tumble out of sideB cape, you need to ledgegrab and invincible nair the upB
i'm agree with the cape thing, but sometimes you don't have that much time to legdegrab and nair back up (i'm talking about the side b fox's/falco's recovery, up bs should always be edgeguard with the cape or fsmash/dsmash), the nair has enough hitbox to hit that side b just in time without you get the exact spacing, for any other situation the cape works fine ;)

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
Hey melee guys whose the closest smash melee players closest to Clinton, MS? Im off for thanksgiving and want to practice my matchups. Im a peach main and can play marth, sheik, fox, falco, falcon, jiggs and some low tiers. Im trying to train specifically my peach and can offer yall my others as practice for yalls matchups. Let me know :D. MELEE ONLY LOL

a rookie

Smash Ace
Sorry for responding really late. But you can post in the MS threads. This is more of Mario specific :p Plus, there's not too many of us left that's why we haven't responded xo

a rookie

Smash Ace
What should I do and not do when playing a Marth?
What I don't recommend:

-Fair approaching will get swatted. So be careful w/ those.
-Using your double jump UNLESS you're avoiding an up tilt spammer
-Misjudge their fsmash range (and get tippered/killed in the process)when you're falling to grab the edge
-Messing up on the edge, his dtilt/fsmash is easy prey for people that make mistakes

What I do recommend:

-Fireball approaches(to help you get in, full hop ones of course)
-Ftilt footsies/pokes(it goes further than your fsmash and safe on shield if you poke w/ the tip of your foot)
-Up air blind!(get him above you w/ a dthrow/uptilt and juggle him like a mad man)
-Fsmash his falling diagonal recoveries(fsmash tilted upward)
-Dthrow upsmash at low percents. At mid percents, replace upsmash w/ uptilt/upair to start combos
-Challenge him in the air w/ your dair(then convert into falling upair ---> uptilt --> etc)
-Rolling(a fixed amount, low amount since Marth's can't get too much off a grab vs Mario) when you're in the corner/danger

Hopefully this helps, all I can think of atm.

doctorayegee

Smash Cadet
What I don't recommend:

-Fair approaching will get swatted. So be careful w/ those.
-Using your double jump UNLESS you're avoiding an up tilt spammer
-Misjudge their fsmash range (and get tippered/killed in the process)when you're falling to grab the edge
-Messing up on the edge, his dtilt/fsmash is easy prey for people that make mistakes

What I do recommend:

-Fireball approaches(to help you get in, full hop ones of course)
-Ftilt footsies/pokes(it goes further than your fsmash and safe on shield if you poke w/ the tip of your foot)
-Up air blind!(get him above you w/ a dthrow/uptilt and juggle him like a mad man)
-Fsmash his falling diagonal recoveries(fsmash tilted upward)
-Dthrow upsmash at low percents. At mid percents, replace upsmash w/ uptilt/upair to start combos
-Challenge him in the air w/ your dair(then convert into falling upair ---> uptilt --> etc)
-Rolling(a fixed amount, low amount since Marth's can't get too much off a grab vs Mario) when you're in the corner/danger

Hopefully this helps, all I can think of atm.
I learned about fairs the hard way and fell prey to the tipper many times. How would you recommend to recover without getting ***** by his dtilt/fsmash?

Britex

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a tough time trying to recover versus Marth. Not just getting on the ledge, but trying to gain back stage control. I feel like every option on the ledge gets me forward smashed. Is trying to bait it by leaving/regrabbing the ledge a good option?

a rookie

Smash Ace
I learned about fairs the hard way and fell prey to the tipper many times. How would you recommend to recover without getting ***** by his dtilt/fsmash?
There's A LOT of different ways you can recover. One way to avoid dtilt/fsmash is to do an early sweet spot. I'll post an example later today.

I'm having a tough time trying to recover versus Marth. Not just getting on the ledge, but trying to gain back stage control. I feel like every option on the ledge gets me forward smashed. Is trying to bait it by leaving/regrabbing the ledge a good option?
Stage control vs Marth is TOUGH. Especially if you're in the corner/on the edge. My suggestion, if you can't get that control back, STAND YOUR GROUND and fight like a warrior and work w/ the space God gave you! Fireballs help you neutralize a swing(neutral A, ftilt, fsmash, etc.) that might give you enough time to get center stage. Roll if you have to. WD'ing oos isn't that great.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
To add onto what rookie said whenever you up b at the stage always be prepared to tech a d-tilt/f-smash versus marth. It is more often than not the difference between the living or dying assuming you up b is even a little off.

My personal experience from the ledge is pretty awful as well. Wavedashing from the ledge is generally your best bet(especially if you can keep invincibility), but marth can easily bait that and more often than not your invincibility isn't going to last long enough to reach marth if they are careful about it. Ledgedash d-smash is also good, but other than that getting center stage back is imo one of the hardest things about marth(second to trying to fall back down against an amazing marth who just juggles you around the stage).

Last edited:
Top Bottom