• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course pass DLC discussion and speculation

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That title is a bit of a mouthful but I need a place to talk about this thing because I'm so excited for it!!!!!

What tracks are you expecting? Do you think they'll add any characters? How do you feel about the reused assets from Tour? What do you think about getting this instead of a brand new Mario Kart?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If Wario Colosseum and Mushroom City from Double Dash don't get in otherwise I'm gonna riot.

(With a side of GCN Rainbow Road)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If they announce Maple Treeway as returning track, I'm gonna smile.
Given that seem to be primarily focusing on Tracks from Tour (even Coconut Mall and Shroom Ridge seem very likely as future Tour tracks) Maple Treeway seems very likely.

Though it will be interesting to see half pipes in Mario Kart 8.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've said this way too many times already but it bears repeating: I like the Tour asset reuse, the less realistic/detailed models look more in line with the Mario aesthetic.

I do, however, dislike the removal of certain things like Miis; Piantas; and escalators on Coconut Mall for example.
I'd think the more detailed graphics would be "more in line with the aesthetic" considering what Mario's got on the Switch. Even Paper Mario's trying to be photorealistic in terms of a paper/cardboard world.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think the Dlc is completly Backwards MK8 doesnt really need 48 worse Courses Instead i wouldve prefered 8 New/Retro Courses on the same level of Quality
+ Some new Drivers in my Case i want a Link that actually fits into Mariokart not mister im a slim 17 year old but im almost as heavy as bowser
AKA Give me toon Link you Cowards!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I guess it's appropriate to bump this thread now that Wave 2 just came out, I think it was cool to have an essentially original track release in 8 with the Ice Cream track (I know it's coming to Tour later, but it came out in 8 first).

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im still miffed that we dont get new Characters and Karts after all the original Mariokart 8 Dlc is so much Higher Quality than the "new" Tracks!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What new characters would you have liked to see in the Pass if each wave had one character? For me:
  1. Diddy kong
  2. Pauline
  3. E. Gadd
  4. Kirby
  5. PAC-MAN
  6. Sonic
1. Diddy Kong
2. Dixie Kong
3. Funky Kong
4. Pikachu riding those new Legendary Pokemon in bike form
5. Captain Falcon
6. Kirby

Lenidem

Smash Lord
1. Diddy Kong
2. E. Gadd
3. Captain Toad
4. King K. Rool
5. Pac-Man
6. Cranky Kong

The top three is by far the most important for me. I tried not to put too many DK characters, and I included Pac-Man because he was playable in the arcade. I would also like to have R.O.B. back, but he is less important.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
What new characters would you have liked to see in the Pass if each wave had one character? For me:
  1. Diddy kong
  2. Pauline
  3. E. Gadd
  4. Kirby
  5. PAC-MAN
  6. Sonic
1. Birdo
2. Diddy
3. Captain Falcon
4. Funky
5. Kamek
6. R.O.B.

For fun, I’ll also make list where a battle mode map was added each wave:

1. Block Fort
2. Funky Stadium
3. Tilt a Kart
4. Twilight House
5. Honey Bee Hive
6. Rainbow Rink (an original Rainbow Road themed battle map)

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I imagine new characters would probably match what came in tour. Heres what i think / want.

1. Pauline
2. Diddy
3. King Bob-Omb
4. Kamek
5. Dixie
6. Monty Mole

HM - for character not in Tour some sort of Goomba varient & another guest would be cool.

Aligo

Smash Ace
I can't wait to play as... acid green Birdo!? Also Yoshi's Island that isn't a Yoshi Island is a super good track idea, am excited to see it in full!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Interesting they are focusing on returning characters. My guess would be characters from Mario Kart Tour who were also in other entries. I am thinking Diddy Kong & Petey Piranha (DK Jr., who seems unlikely, is the only other returning character i can think of from Tour).

Would be cool if they dove into other new characters from Tour like Pauline & Kamek but I maybe they are being saved for a future game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting they are focusing on returning characters. My guess would be characters from Mario Kart Tour who were also in other entries. I am thinking Diddy Kong & Petey Piranha (DK Jr., who seems unlikely, is the only other returning character i can think of from Tour).

Would be cool if they dove into other new characters from Tour like Pauline & Kamek but I maybe they are being saved for a future game.
well they did say the tracks were only returning ones and we've had a couple new ones. i would say it's not impossible to get someone new from tour. so my thinking is diddy and pauline

Pupp135

Smash Lord

I think Pauline and Kamek are eligible since they are in Tour, which is treated as a mainline game. I assume only completely new characters like Pom Pom (I don’t think she’s in Tour), Kirby, or Captain Falcon would be ineligible.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
If Diddy gets added, I'll get the game. I haven't bought Mario Kart for this exact reason, but Diddy inclusion might just change my mind.
I think it's a bit extreme for a reason to buy or not buy a game, but I understand the frustration of not having such an important, fan-favorite character playable when there is room enough for mooks, babies, Pink Gold abominations, and other guests.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it's a bit extreme for a reason to buy or not buy a game, but I understand the frustration of not having such an important, fan-favorite character playable when there is room enough for mooks, babies, Pink Gold abominations, and other guests.
i didn't buy mario party when they dropped toad and toadette

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Diddy seems like a no brainer at this point, I believe he's the last Mario Kart Wii character not to be playable in any version of Mario Kart 8 now, and after he got added in Strikers with such a tiny roster in that game, I would genuinely be shocked if he wasn't the next one announced. I hope Tour characters like Dixie, Funky, and Pauline will also make it in, it's been a long time coming. I'd also hope for E. Gadd but I guess he's not even in Tour yet for some reason.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Frankly, Diddy and Birdo should have been added ages ago.

Bowser Jr. Was another huge missing character that got added. Diddy and Birdo are on the same tier essentially.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since Birdo will be available in wave 4's release, you do have to wonder if waves 5 and 6 will add a few more characters. We only need Diddy Kong and Funky Kong, and the whole Mario Kart Wii roster would be fully covered.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My friend, Diddy in Mario Kart is the closest am ever getting for a Diddy Kong Racing 2.

Top Bottom