• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy for DLC Support Thread - Reignite TEH PHIR3!!

"We fight to win this war. But how can we call it a victory with the deaths of so many innocents?" -- Roy

Roy has been leaked. Praise the data mining lords. To get you up to date on everything: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/heres-a-ton-of-new-information-from-todays-super-smash-bros-leaks#

===

With the 1.0.6 update, there has been some dedicated people who have decrypted files found on the 3DS version. Roy's victory theme has been discovered, as well as sound files relating to Ryu (Street Fighter). What could this mean? Nothing is officially confirmed remember, so keep your eyes opened.

Sources:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/
https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/status/588467223833882627
https://twitter.com/crediar/status/588452304539418624

===

On the Smash 3DS/Wii U website, using the official Smash Bros. DLC fighter ballot, people can vote and give reasons why they would like to see their favourite characters. This is a great opportunity for Roy, especially if we could spread the word around. At the very least, we're given a chance to provide feedback, which never hurts. Deadline is October 3rd, so there's no hurry currently.

Vote for Roy here: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us

Name: Roy
Game: Fire Emblem

Feel free to talk about why you would like to see Roy return, why do you like playing as Roy, what improvements you would like to see him have (for example, unique moves), impact he has on the FE series, and anything else that you think is important. Also doesn't hurt expressing that you'd like to see Roy's game, Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, get a Western release (VC, remake, etc.).**

===

Welcome! Now that character DLC has been confirmed (with Mewtwo coming in 2015), speculation and focus has shifted to support Roy for DLC. You could say the general idea of this thread is to provide a hub for Roy fans/supporters, or anyone else, that would like to discuss Roy's potential for DLC, as well as contribute anything. Do you think we will see the return of Roy? Maybe not? Contribution could also include moveset speculation, costume ideas, providing resources/links for those who wish to further extend their support elsewhere, etc. Even saying, "I support Roy" and a little explanation why is great -- it's the little things like these always puts a smile on my face.

Before I get into Roy's impact on the Smash series and why should he return, I'd like to briefly look at of the events that happens in the Sword of Seals, and who exactly Roy is. The Sword of Seals is a Japanese-only game; as such, I feel like I should go over various things, since there may be a lot of people who haven't experienced the game. There will be some minor spoilers.

Who is Roy?

Pfft, that's easy. He's the dude with the fire sword in Super Smash Melee!

In all seriousness, that's sorta true. Roy's first appearance -- his big debut -- was in Melee. However, he is a Fire Emblem Lord, and like every Lord, he starts in his own game.

Roy in FE6

Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals (or Nintendo's official translation, "The Binding Blade", but I'll keep things short and call the game "FE6") was released in Japan on March 29, 2002, which is a little over four months after Melee's Japanese release. The setting takes place in Elibe, in which the continent consists of five countries: Lycia, Bern, Etruria, Sacae, and Ilia, and many other regions. Lycia in particular consists of 14 noble houses, including Ostia and Pherae (which Roy hails from). The basic premise shows our hero, Roy, originally studying in Ostia (Lycia's capital). However, later he leads Pherae's army against Bern's invasions on Lycia, after his father (Eliwood) falls ill. Roy (who's officially 15) joins up with the rest of Lycia's armies, effectively leading the League of Lycia's armies against Bern's forces.

A map of Elibe

Despite being thrown into a heated war against one of most powerful military nations, over time Roy gains more faith in himself as a leader and dependence in his allies.

Closer to the end, Roy obtains a divine sword, the Sword of Seals, which has fire and magical properties. Some include:

• Can ignite and create fire projectiles
  • Healing properties
  • Bonus effects like more damage versus dragons
  • Can help to seal away beings
  • Can react and adjust its power accordingly to the wielder's emotions (for example, if the wielder does not want to kill the opponent, the sword can knock the opponent unconscious instead)
  • Considered stronger than the legendary weapons of Elibe

Roy wielding the SoS

And throw in some dragons and there you have FE6...

That being said, Roy has also appeared during the ending in FE7 (prequel to FE6), but more of a small cameo.

A younger Roy

In Awakening, Roy's available to join your army through a DLC episode and SpotPass. DLC Roy is available by purchasing Xenologue: Champions of Yore 2, in which Roy's given a kickass redesign by artist Kimihiko Fujisaka (The Last Story) for his artwork.

Roy's redesign

An interesting thing to note, is that the DLC episodes featuring Ike vs Roy and their armies is called "Xenologue: Smash Brethren", an obvious reference to the Smash Bros. series. The episode's name is different in the Japanese version though (thank you based NoA).

In the upcoming crossover, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Roy is set to appear, if the first teaser is anything to go by. CONFIRMED TRAILER, YO!

Roy also appears the Hasha no Tsurugi manga, which was serialized in Monthly Shonen Jump. There are pre-downloaded events available in special FE6 cartridges that are influenced by the manga. Check them out here!

Roy In Smash Bros.

Roy's appearance in Super Smash Melee

Most people first got introduced to Roy through Melee (unless you knew about FE6 prior to Melee's release by some means. Click here for early FE6 footage from Space World 2001!). In fact, originally Marth and Roy weren't going to be included in the Western release of Melee. However, American employees insisted that they stay. It was because of Marth and Roy's inclusion that sparked curiosity in the West, thus helping to make the decision to localize the FE games (starting with FE7). Interestingly enough, NoA seemed interested in localizing FE6, sometime after Melee. It could be because of Marth and Roy's popularity, or more specifically Roy's since I'm not sure why would they pick FE6, considering FE7 was coming around.

There are many reasons why people love to play as Roy. It could be because of his play style. Or his fire sword and cool looks. Or perhaps Roy helped introduce them to the FE series. Or maybe because of his red hair... any reason is valid. I'll briefly go over some reasons as to why Roy would be a good choice for DLC:

• A decently popular requested character in both Japan and in the West during Smash 4' development. Also, there were some Japanese polls done some about cut characters some time ago: http://smashboards.com/threads/roy.324203/page-25#post-15647046 Thanks SSBF for the pics. These polls were constructed a long time ago, but they're still interesting to look at for the heck of it
  • FE6 had a big impact on series (at least looking at it form Japan's perspective). Can be considered a game that revived the series, and included many staple elements. In a nutshell, the transition from FE5 --> FE6 was big (almost like the previous FE games to Awakening, but not as drastic). Shouzou Kaga (the creator of FE) left after FE5. After FE5 (a game that's know for its difficulty), it seemed like Nintendo wanted the series to be more accessible -- a game that's not only for the hardcore fans, but for new ones. For example, making FE6 more simpler, including a tutorial mode (that's optional), more cute and young-looking characters/brighter art style to perhaps attracted the younger crowd, etc., etc., may have helped
  • FE6 generally has great recognition from Japan (check FE6's reviews here and Awakening's here for comparison). If you're curious about some Japanese FE sales, check out a sales chart here (I personally don't use sales a lot in arguments, but I'd rather have some sources handy just in case)
  • Roy could be an easy character to implant if going the clone-ish route. If not, then the SoS has many characteristics and properties that could make Roy unique
  • Higher up at IS stated that remaking FE6 would give Roy a chance to be properly introduced in the West. Whether that remake is ever going to happen, idk, but if Roy's in, I think that remake will have a good chance at being green-lit. Or perhaps Roy would be a good character to help promote the remake
  • TEH PHIR3!!

I do think that if Roy were to be DLC, he'd still retain some clone-ish properties, seeing that characters like Ganon and Falco aren't totally revamped. On the bright side, Roy's tipper mechanic (doing more damage near the centre of the blade, er, well, I guess it's more like hilt lol) is still a unique and interesting thing. If implanted, he could fit a rush down archetype, getting into the face of an opponent to deal some strong damage. Perhaps Roy could also dip into being a glass cannon a little. Although, giving Roy a projectile could help with zoning and make him stand out more versus Marth, Ike, and Lucina.

Moveset Ideas

"Feel the wrath of my fire! ARRGHHH!!... (it's a good thing I'm wearing non-flammable clothing)"

[collapse=Moveset #1 - SchAlternate]So, as for a moveset:

Roy's playstyle is heavily centered on high risk, high reward. Most of his stats are pretty tame: he has moderately high speed, lackluster jumping prowess and somewhat light weight (slightly lighter than Mario). However, Roy's main perk relies on his sword. At the tip, it deals averange damage and knockback, but if you are hit by the blade, you are welcomed with brutal ammounts of damage, and enemies hit at the very hilt of the sword will be sent really far away, even at low percentages. Here's the catch, though; if Roy lands a hit with the hilt of the blade, he recieves recoil damage, which becomes more significant with his stronger moves.

Think of Roy as a merge between his gameplay style and that of Pichu's; most of his attacks hurt him, but the hurt the enemy even more.

• :GCB:- Flare Blade: Roy's signature move. Like Eruption, this move involves Roy charging up his blade before releasing a powerful slash. Charge it too much and it will cause a deadly explosion that hits opponents far away and recoil on Roy. Sweetspotted, this attack can become a OHKO, dealing even more damage to his foes and himself.
    • Great Flare Blade: A variant on his original move. The charge on this on takes less time and has additional range. However, the sweetspot is significantly weaker.
    • Solar Blade: Pretty much the opposite of the original move. Instead of causing a double edged explosion, it will heal Roy if he connects the move with a target, at the expense of killing power. A safer option to compliment Roy's risky playstyle. Based on the Sol skill in Fire Emblem.
  • :GCR:- Peril Dance: A revamp on his original side special, Double Edge Dance. Roy still performs a series of slashes that variate by the player's input, like Marth's Dancing Blade. However, this time Roy releases a wave of flames with every slash he performs. Tilting the joystick at a given direction alters the angle of the waves, and Roy can perform up to three slashes. Based on Roy's ranged attack in FE6.
    • Danger Dance: Like Peril Dance, but only produces a wave on the last wave. This wave, however, is larger and slower, being great for stage control.
    • Double Edge Dance: Roy's classic Side B. This version doesn't produce any waves, making it more viable for combos. First two slashes deal considerable damage and set knockback, while the last one deals brutal knockback.
  • :GCU:- Blazer: Another of Roy's signature moves. Roy charges briefly before rising in a spiral of flames caused by his sword. During the charge, he is invulnerable to knockback and opponents touching Roy will be sent upwards before they get trapped in the fiery tornado Roy engulfs himself in. It can be angled in much more directions than Marth's Dolphin Slash, but doesn't recover as much; to compensate, he won't go into helpless mode after using this move (but he won't be able to use the move again in midair)
    • Rapid Blazer: Roy goes further away with this move than with normal Blazer. However, it doesn't trap enemies in and the charge time is higher.
    • Impact Blazer: The KO variation of this move. It doesn't require a charge before the rising, and at the apex of the jump, it causes a small explosion that sends victims flying away after drilling them all the way up (ew). Doesn't go as far as the regular version, and renders Roy helpless.
  • :GCD:- Counter: Roy's trusty Counter. The window of activation is limited, but deals twice the damage of the attack that connects with the counter.
    • Meteor Counter: Sends opponents plummeting into the ground while only countering half the damage it counters.
    • Mirror Counter: Lasts longer and is able to reflect projectiles, but deals the same amount of damage as the countered attack.
  • :GCA:- Limit Breaker: Roy's Final Smash. Based on Roy's Critical Hit animation when wielding the Sword of Seals, Roy leaps into the air and launches a freaking GINORMOUS fire wave into the battlefield, wreaking havoc on everyone (think of Zero's Genmu Zero move in Mega Man X5/Marvel Vs Capcom 3).
[/collapse]
[collapse=Moveset #2 - Unicorn]Custom Movesets! I'll do mine too.
ROY THE BOY, YOUNG LION OF PHERAE, WIELDER OF THE SWORD OF SEALS
His sweetspot is in the center of his blade getting slightly weaker the farther it gets in either direction. So the hilt is just as weak as the tip. It's not the wet noodle of melee, but still noticeably weaker. He would be a semi-clone of Marth, with recognizable similarities, but still mainly a character of his own (a la Falco).

:GCB: Flare Blade: Awaken the power of the Sword of Seals!
Ignite your foes with a quick strike of flame, or purge an entire area of evil by charging up and unleashing a massive explosion. A classic move that defines Roy.

Courageous Blade: Stand strong in the face of your enemies!
Roy gains super armor during his attack animation, but will take recoil damage from from the attack as well.

Flare Hammer: Strike down your foes!
The attack is much weaker, both in knockback and damage potential, but gains a meteor hitbox at the bottom third of the blade and hilt (get it? Strike DOWN your foes? Cuz you're spiking them! Ha... ha... please don't hurt me)

:GCUR::GCB: Let the decloning begin.

Sol: Unleash the power of the sun! TM
Stab your enemy, dealing respectable damage (~15-20) and healing for half the amount done.

Lion's Claw: Become the predator.
The predator does not "suck" from the prey. He crushes them without a doubt. Forsake the healing element of Sol, changing it into a dangerous and versatile KO move that can be also be used in the air.

Slow Burn: They will know pain...
Thrust your sword into your opponent, twisting your blade and igniting them from the inside. This move operates as a command grab, and will deal damage while the opponent is being grabbed, and then afterwards for a short time due to them being on ph1r3.

:GCD::GCB: Rush: Revel in the glory of the charge.
Sprint towards the enemy with your shoulder, knocking them into their trip animation and dealing light damage. Moves you in close for a sweet spotted Forward Smash.

Counter: Strike when the moment is right.
These are a dime a dozen nowadays. Roy's is extremely powerful, but has a small window just like it always has been.

Inspire: BOKU WA MAKUNAI!!!!
Roy raises his sword and shouts one of his many beautiful lines. The enemies can't help but stop and watch as he shines radiantly, women everywhere swoon, men bow down their heads in awe. Even the lowliest of beasts stops crawling across the ground to recognize the might of the Lord Roy. If the sun had set, then it rises immediately, realizing that such a scene must be properly illuminated. The oceans lay silent, ceasing their battering of the shores, if only for a moment, to observe the greatness before them. Those who were not really feeling it, are now feeling it. This is the ultimate power.

(It's actually just a self buff that raises the power of his next two or three smash attacks)

:GCU::GCB: Blazer: Light the Way.
Roar with the fury of the Young Lion, then defy gravity's hold on you, launching yourself up with willpower and flame alone, dragging anyone foolish enough to get close along in the inferno. Personally I love this move, so I wouldn't change it at all.

Rocket Man Emblem Ignition: 3...2...1...
I've seen this move in other mock movesets for Roy and I really like the idea. Roy slashes beneath himself, causing an explosion that launches him upwards with some control. He does not go into helpless afterwards, so he retains some defensive ability.

Critical Hit: Not like Aether at all
This is the Mercenary/Hero Crit animation from the GBA games, which Ike's Aether attack is based off of, so aesthetically they are similar. Roy leaps upwards, does a somersault, then slams down. Roy's is waaaaaaaaay cooler though because he leaves a trail of fire behind him as he goes up, then comes down with the impact of a meteor...er... figuratively. The knockback would be upwards and horizontal.

NORMALS
I
'll just list the ones that would be changed.

Up smash: A broad slash above him that leaves a trail of fire with a hitbox of its own.
Down smash: Roy slams his sword straight into the ground, causing fire to spew out to both sides of him.
F tilt: A two hit attack, starting with a short ranged bash with the hilt of his sword, then a horizontal slash.
Nair: Gimme dat sexy PM nair.
Up Throw: Roy tosses the opponent up, then strikes them with his sword, causing high knockback. Kill throw at 140% on average fall speed characters.
Back Throw: Roy ignites his sword, then slashes his opponent, spinning in a circle and sending the enemy behind him. Sends at a low angle.

TL:DR- I liek smash broh. and I liek roy duh boi.[/collapse]
[collapse=Moveset #3 - Steelia]I'd argue that with the Sword of Seals alone, Roy has the potential to become one of the most unique swordsmen in Smash, right up there with Shulk. His sword always lights ablaze before it strikes, it has the ability to shoot long-ranged explosive projectiles that covers the distance of an archer's bow, and it can even heal its master! I was amazed at just what could be done with Roy... so here are some examples :)

Altered dash attack, keeping the sword near his chest as opposed to swinging lower to the ground

Altered up-tilt attack, keeping it close and dangerous but covering more towards his body

New Up Smash; Roy thrusts his sword skyward, nudging his opponent above him, and after a small delay, the tip of the sword explodes

New Down Smash, my personal favorite; the Sword of Seals strikes the ground, creating explosive pillars that travel a little ways from Roy

And of course, every single hit with Roy's sword (save for the very tip) gives fire damage to his opponents... trust me, it never gets old :upsidedown:[/collapse]
[COLLAPSE=Movetset #4 - Strider_Bond00J]
Alternative Roy Moveset Inspired by Swampasaur

This is an alternative moveset for Roy that was inspired by @Swampasaur’s thoughts on Roy. This incarnation is a blending of Roy’s techniques as a Mercenary in Fire Emblem Awakening and his abilities from Super Smash Bros Melee and Fire Emblem: Binding Blade.

Appearance: Roy’s default costume is his DLC costume from Fire Emblem Awakening, based on the Mercenary class, which will have four colours. Likewise, his traditional armour from Melee and FE6 is an alternate costume much like Wario with his Warioware costume and his traditional purple and yellow overalls costume.

Gimmicks/Defining Feature: Much like in Melee, Roy’s defining gameplay feature is the positioning of his sword’s hitbox, being stronger at the base of the blade. This is intended to make him part of a ‘trio,’ where Marth focus on spacing with the tip of his sword, Lucina able to swap from between close range and spacing without power variation while Roy’s playstyle revolves around getting up close to the opponent to deal more damage. However, his new appearance sees him wielding his blade from Fire Emblem Awakening and his trademark weapon from Melee and FE6, the Sword of Seals, thus making him comparable to a stance-based character like Gen from Street Fighter.

To compare the two swords, Roy’s Blade plays similarly to Melee, with many attacks outside of Specials lacking a fire effect, and is slightly weaker in power, but allows Roy greater mobility. With the use of a revamped Down Special, Roy is able to swap out the Blade for his iconic Sword of Seals, which allows Roy to use fire outside of his Specials, allowing for greater range, damage and launching power. (Explained in attacks) The Sword of Seals is however limited by a small gauge represented by a flaming sword, similar to how Scorpion plays in Injustice. When the gauge runs out (represented by the sword flames dying out), Roy goes into overheat, where he begins to take gradual damage to himself and is launched even further by oncoming attacks.

Attacks

Idle Animation: Based on the Merc idle animation from Awakening when using the Blade; When holding the Sword of Seals, he adopts his idle animation from Melee.

Jab A: Roy swings the sword once horizontally. Follows into a second swing in Blade form. A follow-on with the SoS creates a small explosion in front of Roy, much like Robin’s Elfire jab finish.

Forward Tilt: Roy lunges forward with the tip forward in style of his attack animation from FE6 and Project M. The SoS creates a small explosion in front of Roy, adding a spacing option.

Up Tilt: Roy swipes his sword in an overhead arc, much like his up-tilt in Melee. Equipping the SoS adds a fire effect and boost in power.

Down Tilt: Roy quickly jabs the sword out while in a crouching position, launching the opponent into the air, setting up for Roy’s combos in the air. Much like the U-Tilt, the SoS adds a fire and extra power boost to the attack.

Neutral Aerial: Roy swings his sword in a vertical spin, similar to the Critical Hit animation of the Mercenary class in Awakening.

Forward Aerial: A quick swipe of the sword, near identical to its Melee incarnation.

Back Aerial: A backwards swipe, very fast. Similar to Melee incarnation.

Up Aerial: Roy elegantly swings his sword in an arc. Knocks the opponent further into the air to set up further combos.

Down Aerial: A fast and powerful swipe from above, serving as Meteor Smash should the opponent touch the base hitbox. Has greatly reduced lag from Melee.

Smash Attacks

Side Smash: Roy readies his sword for a powerful spin attack, based on a Merc’s finisher animation from Awakening. Sword of Seals adds a greater fire effect to the attack, with a slight power boost.

Up Smash: Roy jabs his sword into the air and it catches alight to deal fire damage. The Sword of Seals version sees a small explosion above the tip, dealing extra damage to an opponent caught in the initial hit.

Down Smash: Roy swings his sword in a crouching spin, any opponent caught in the first hit will fall into the second hit from behind, much like Captain Falcon’s Down Smash. The Sword of Seals version sees Roy create an explosion in front and behind him, much like the Mii Gunners’ Down Smash.

Specials:

Neutral Special (Blade): Flare Blade: Roy charges up his sword as it cloaks itself in fire. Eventually, he will start to glow white and eventually bring down his sword in a powerful explosion, dealing massive amounts of damage and knockback, but damaging Roy by around 15%. Faster than Ike’s Eruption, but not as powerful.

Neutral Special (Sword of Seals) Flare Burst: Roy charges up the Sword of Seals like normal, but when the Roy reaches full power, he unleashes a directed pillar of fire that deals strong fire damage upon contact. This doesn’t have the same recoil that Flare Blade has, so Roy escapes unscathed. It drains the meter very quickly, so it should be used with caution.

Side Special (Blade): Sol Rush: Roy quickly rushes forward, and should he hit the opponent, he will deal minor fire damage around 15% damage, but low knockback. Not ideal for a K.O move, but it’s main use is to restore Roy’s health by 7% on a successful hit.

Side Special (Sword of Seals): Double-Edge Dance: Roy’s Side Special from Melee, and remains functionally the same as the Dancing Blade Special - The attack changes based on the control and button input. It is reversible mid-combo like it is in Project M, allowing for feints, and the down-directional inputs will now send a small wave of fire forwards along the ground.

Up Special (Blade): Blazer: Roy quickly rises upwards while the Blade is coated in flames, similar to its incarnation in Melee. The arc that Roy rises upwards can be angled, tilting the Control Stick to the direction Roy is facing will see him gain more horizontal range at the cost of vertical recovery.

Down Special: Class Change: Roy sheaths his Blade and draws the Sword of Seals, changing the properties of his attacks.

Final Smash: Critical Flare: Inspired by Roy’s Project M Final Smash, initiated as he rushes towards the opponent at blinding speed like Marth and Lucina. Should he collide with a character, Roy will attack with a flurry of fiery strikes with the Sword of Seals, finishing with a powerful explosion. Should he miss, he will most likely self-destruct when he goes offscreen.
[/COLLAPSE]
[collapse=Moveset #5 - SMX]Neutral Animation: Same as his old Melee animation.

:GCA: Jab: Same as his Melee jab.

:GCR::GCL::GCA:Forward Tilt: Like his PM F-tilt

:GCU::GCA:Up Tilt: Tilts his sword diagonally as opposed to Marth and Lucina's horizontal tilt.

:GCD::GCA:Down Tilt: Like Shulk's though it has the same effect as his Melee D-tilt.

:GCR::GCL::GCA:Forward Smash: Brings his sword towards his body and thrusts his sword horizontally as opposed to Marth and Lucina's vertical slash.

:GCU::GCA:Up Smash: Thrusts his sword in the air twice quickly that has a fire effect.

:GCD::GCA:Down Smash: Sweeps his sword in on direction as opposed to both that covers a lot of space and has a fire effect.

:GCA:Neutral Air: Pretty much the same as his PM N-air

:GCR::GCL::GCA:Forward Air: Swings his sword horizontally as opposed to Marth and Lucina's vertical swing.

:GCL::GCR::GCA:Back Air: Like his PM B-air.

:GCU::GCA:Up Air: Swings his sword twice quickly

:GCD::GCA:Down Air: Same as his Melee one only with better hitboxes and a fiery spike.

:GCB:Flare Blade (Revamped): Roy charges his sword; holding it upwards instead of near his shoulder and lunges his blade horizontally instead of thrusting it towards the ground. This will make his attack more in line with his FE6 Sword of Seals animation.

:GCR::GCL::GCB:Flame Charge: A brand new side B where he uses fire projectiles. Roy's start up animation is similar to Ike's side B only he chages and shoots fireballs from his sword. Damage and knockback depend on how long the attack is charged.

:GCU::GCB:Blazer (Revamped & Buffed): Roy moves in a 360 degree motion upwards that has great vertical and horizontal recovery.

:GCD::GCB:Double-Edged Counter: A combination of Roy's Melee counter and his Double-Edged Dance (which would be replaced by his Flame Charge in this case). Roy can use his Counter like normal though he can futher extend the attack by pressing :GCN::GCB:which lets him use his old Side B with an added fire effect.

:GCB:Ultimate Flare: Roy's Final Smash. Like Marth/Lucina's Critical Hit, Roy goes from one end of the stage to the other and instead of directly hitting his opponents, he traps them in a fiery volcano-like eruption that does massive damage and knockback to his opponents.[/collapse]
[collapse=Moveset #6 - Royvolution Ream]I feel like he should definitely be decloned and made more unique, similar to Falco and Luigi. However, I think he has even more potential than that. With his unique animations, flame projectiles which have a lot of potential as shown by Robin, Palutena, and Zelda who have barely tapped into fire's potential which Roy specializes in, his ability to heal himself with the Sealed Sword, the ability to seal foes in ice as shown by the Champion's Blade manga, his acrobatic prowess, his brusque fighting style, and his unique attributes in Melee such as fast-falling, a mid-blade sweetspot that favored aggressive play and pressure, his unique special and multi-hit moves, falling into the rare glass cannon archetype, and his trajectory on moves being far different from Marth and Lucina's, I feel like he has the potential to not only be a returning veteran for those who enjoyed his charm and unique personality; not only in Fire Emblem, but Smash as well, but also pretty much a newcomer through a declone. How so?

To avoid alienating veteran players, he could carry the same playstyle, a lot of the similar combos/strings, similar function in moves, movement, and general play, and carry some of his stronger moves either unchanged, improved, or simply given new animations. To defeat "third Marth" complaints and complaints of Roy being "weak," provide fans with one of the most requested and loved characters and veterans, and create a truly unique character with Roy realizing his potential, a declone route is wise. How do we start on this? I have a lot of ideas I'd like to present.

SMASHES:

1: Forward Smash:
A staple move of Roy's, with a lot of power and satisfaction behind it.
A terrifying move, being beefy with a fair amount of range in the sweetspot.
How do we make it even more unique and satisfying?
I suggest having Roy step forward with the move, slamming with his whole weight put into it in a two-handed swing. He is exposed longer than Marth, and he exposes himself to the foe more by moving forward, but the attack hits fairly hard. Being tipped, it doesn't deal much damage, but it sends the foe far enough away for Roy to recover and rush right back into the fight, fixing one of his biggest problems in Melee where he could be easily punished for landing a tipped move.

2: Up Smash:
Fire moves look beautiful in the newest iteration, and multi-hit moves feel just right. I feel like this move should be ported directly over, but with an animation more faithful to Roy's game, where he raises his blade over his head with two hands and ignites it.

3: Down Smash:
Roy's double swing hit really hard, but I feel like it shouldn't stay. It wasn't quite a staple move on Roy, and there's already many characters with it.
Please replace the move with a strong, downward lunge that creates a slow-moving wall of flame that moves forwards. It has a fair amount of power, and is about as tall as Roy, even if this would be Roy's weakest Smash Attack, and could set up for a combo via an aerial or a way for Roy to retreat and form better ground. Too many swordsmen have a two-hit Down Smash, and I feel like this would really make Roy stand out and bring a unique move to Smash.
One-handed lunge.

TILTS:

1: Jab
I feel like Roy's jab from Melee would be a good choice to keep exactly the same. It feels unique enough from Marth's and Lucina's, and I like the move.
One-handed swing.

2: Forward Tilt:
Roy gives a short, feint slash horizontally that lets out a slow-moving horizontal flame. It doesn't cover as much vertical range as Marth and Lucina's forward tilt, but it covers slightly more horizontal space with a lingering hitbox and the move comes out and ends about as fast.
One-handed swing.

3: Down Tilt:
I enjoyed the downwards stab that popped foes upwards to combo into them.
I feel like it's highly important to keep it as a combo move, but with an animation that makes popping up a foe more logical. Perhaps a swing at the feet, similar to Ike's, with the speed of Marth/Lucina's downward stab.
One-handed move.

4: Up Tilt:
This move could start at the opposite end of where Marth/Lucina's starts, similar to Donkey Kong. It moves slower, but it creates some lingering flames, good for catching air dodges or foes who try to dance around Roy in the air, but it leaves him exposed for a bigger punish opportunity if they play around it.
Two-handed swing.

AERIALS:

1: Neutral Air:
I like the two swings from Melee. I feel like they should be made event more extreme than Marth's, where they take even more time to come out, but they hit harder.
Alternative: Roy could use his acrobatic ability to spin with forward flips, similar to Sonic, with his blade. Less reach than Marth/Lucina, but it's more constant coverage around him.
One-handed swings, or two-handed spin.

2: Forward Air:
A one-handed forward lunge where Roy pulls his arm back and delivers a vicious, fiery thrust forward that could be a knockout move could work really well. It could be the first aerial to be angled like a tilt, too. This would be faithful to his original fighting style with rapiers and bring something unique to Smash overall.

3: Back Air:
Roy could give a surprise turn-around swing in an arc, similar to Marth's back air but with a two-handed swing. This would let the player balance between a high-knockback, long horizontal range lunge, or a general arc to swat them away, and would give a lot of room to have fun with turnarounds on aerials.

4: Down Air:
I like the old move, and I can see where it can be made more unique. Roy could swing with two hands, having decent power at the tip and below, a lot of power at the mid-blade, but having an incredible amount of power where his arms and hands are at any given part of the move, hitting with a vicious meteor that ignites foes if his arms and hands land a blow.

5: Up Air:
His old juggling move was nice. I suggest making it a two-handed swing with a decent amount of power behind it, good for juggles. Since Roy excels at the ground more than the air, this will help Roy show that it's a bad idea to be directly above him if you're near the ground.

THROWS:

I feel like a blend of Marth and Ike's throws could work really well for Roy, or just Marth's throws. Either way, they'd look really good on him, and still function really well. Pit and Dark Pit also have throws that would work well on him or blend well with other types of throws.

SPECIALS:

1: Flare Blade:
The good ol' 5 second, 50 damage charge. I feel like this move should remain a 50 damage OHKO, since it doesn't have as much range as Ike's Eruption. Super Armor would be a welcome addition to this move, too. Marth has a lunge, Ike has a plummeting sword, Roy has an overhead swing. A welcome dynamic.

2: Double-Edged Dance:
I always enjoyed this move on Roy much more than Marth and Lucina's Dancing Blade. However, I can see it becoming even more fleshed-out, unique, and satisfying. There could be more experimentation and use of Roy's flame projectiles. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th horizontal swings could all be horizontal flame projectiles, each larger than the previous. Downwards swings can form walls of fire, while the multi-hit stab at the end of the downwards variation (it looked so much better and felt much more satisfying on Roy than Marth/Lucina to me) is kept and beefed up, it could become even more of a throwback to Roy's fencing days. The fourth hit upwards can form a Palutena-esque (with her Up Smash) vertical pillar of flame. All of these would have new animations to differentiate them from Dancing Blade a lot, keeping the final horizontal and upwards variations as finishing moves while the final downwards strike racks up lots of fiery damage. How do you feel about that? A variable projectile in some parts, and strong melee swings in the others.
Weaker swings could be one handed, while all finishers would be two-handed.

3: Blazer:
I really liked this move as a recovery move, as it annoyed pesky edgeguarders, and seemed like a whole new move compared to Dolphin Slash. I don't think it needs to change, I think it'll look beautiful after seeing Mega Man's Flame Sword.

4: Counter:
This move was really unique and fun! I loved how skill-based it was, with the variable damage and short window to land. It could remain a hard-to-hit move that would be weak if it countered weak moves, but to compensate for that, it could have a much higher damage multiplier than other counters, like 2x or 3x against all moves; an entirely different damage and knockback formula than the counters we had both in Brawl and here.
Alternative: He could do away with the counter entirely with a move that coats his sword in more flame the longer the button is held. The longer it's held, the longer its effect will last, and the more damage it will deal while active. All non-fire moves will be blessed with fire, and all fire moves will have even more fire. This will motivate the player to score more star KO's to get more opportunities for a full five second charge. Using Flare Blade at any point during this charge removes the whole charge, but all of its power goes into Flare Blade. Let's say you charge down-b for two seconds and immediately Flare Blade, you can either release instantly for 2 seconds worth of power, or continue charging for 3 more seconds for a full hit instead of 5 full seconds.
If the Alternative is chosen, I urge that you please place Roy's old Counter (first idea) into Custom Specials.

FINAL SMASH:

I have multiple ideas on this. I feel like Roy has many potential options, and this is only the surface of it.

1: Final Flame:
Roy coats the ground of the entire battlefield in magma, showing his mastery of ground combat, and launches flame waves, orbs, pillars, and walls around the battlefield for a period of time.

2: True Potential:
Roy promotes into a new, third-tier class that Smash would introduce. He possesses the most powerful, intense swordfighting on the roster with this final smash, showing the true potential of a hero. All attacks bounce off of him, similar to when a highly-experienced unit in Fire Emblem who has realized their potential fights much weaker units. This new class could be tied in with a Binding Blade sequel, wink wink.

CUSTOM SPECIALS:

If Roy does receive custom specials, I have two sets in mind.
1: Marth's specials from Melee. This would appeal to those who liked Marth in his debut iteration, gaining sales and attention from them. This would also add some defensive opportunities to Roy, for those who find his playstyle too risky but still want to play him, or for those who want a certain balance in their offensive and defensive play.
2: New, exciting variants that open up Roy to even more opportunities to be a hazardous, glass cannon fighter.

B:
1: Default (Flare Blade)
2: Marth's Shield Breaker swing from Melee. Lots of shield damage, less time to charge up.
3: A swing that can't be charged up, but it deals more damage than an uncharged swing from default.
Alternative for 3: A move that has weaker damage scaling, but can be charged for 10 seconds and hits for up to 100 or 150 damage.

Up-B:
1: Default (Blazer)
2: A Blazer variant that functions like Marth's Melee Dolphin Slash, where it's incredibly strong at the start but really weak at the end. Reverse Dolphin Slash, or Dolphin Slash out of shield for knockouts from Marth were extremely satisfying and I liked when that move used to be a reliable kill move. The start of the move could have an explosion, to make it logical for Roy and unique.
3: A shorter-distance Blazer with really strong flame, damage, and knockback throughout the whole move.

Side-B:
1: Default (Double-Edged Dance)
2: Classic Double-Edged Dance. While the default has been decloned and made highly unique, there can always be the option of using his old variations, which would be easy and quick to bring over, to appeal to a wider range of veterans and alienate even fewer Roy fans.
3: Slower swings, but higher knockback and damage, and larger flames.

Down-B:
1: Default
2: Marth's Melee counter, where it always deals 7 damage but has a much larger counter window. Doesn't diminish over time like Shulk's long window.
3: Whichever part of "SPECIALS" under Counter did not make the cut. If he keeps his Counter, his flame coating would be a really neat idea here. If he loses his classic Counter, it could go here.[/collapse]

Custom Specials
[collapse=Moveset #1 - Croph]Assuming Roy would retain similar Specials in Melee, some ideas:

Neutral Special 2: Something that plays with the momentum if used. Also could help with horizontal recovery
Neutral Special 3: Weaker knockback or damage, but bigger hitbox (as in, the fire arc + explosion)

Down Special 2: Heals reasonable amount of damage if successful (easier to pull off than regular counter), but does less damage + knockback (or maybe none at all)
Down Special 3: Similar to Marth's Rush Counter + fiery explosion

Up Special 2: Only drags a single opponents upwards, but does a mini explosion at the end of the move
Up Special 3: Changes the trajectory path (maybe the angle or something) and sacrifices a little bit of vertical height for more horizontal coverage

Side Specials: I dunno, could be something similar to Marth's but... with Roy's own fiery flair.[/collapse]
[collapse=Moveset #2 - Roy-Kun]Since custom special moves were introduced, I thought it was finally time to give him his projectile attack. As either his Side special, with variations like:
  • Special 1 (Default): Projectile. The more it's charged the farther it'll appear and the stronger it'll be. A fiery circle starts forming as an indicator of where it'll appear. (3% - 17%)
  • Special 2: Longer charge, stronger explosion. (7% - 32%)
  • Special 3: Reduced damage, faster movement for the explosion's location. (1% - 12%)
Of course, this is pure speculation. I can see Roy once again as someone who as commented in a guide in Melee, is a good character with special attacks, making use of them more often than anyone else. And also I'd see him as more of a close-and-personal fighter compared to Robin, who has more projectiles at his/her disposal.

I think if Roy were to be taken away the Double-Edge Dance, he'd go through changes like Pit - he'd be powered up in his melee combat.[/collapse]

Colour swaps/costume ideas

Credit goes to SchAlternate
[collapse=Royvolution Ream]

Credit: Royvolution Ream[/collapse]
My Costume Ideas:

Default - Roy's epic look from the FE: Awakening DLC, albeit with the proper Sword of Seals instead of some generic gray sword like in his artwork.
The other usual colored costumes would just be similar to his costumes from Melee. (Green, Red, Yellow, and Blue.)
New Costumes:
Black - Make's Roy's armor mainly black and gray colored. Cape could be green or some proper color.
Light Blue - Colors Roy like Marth's older design from Brawl/Melee. Reference to Marth having a costume based on Roy's old color scheme. Blue Hair is optional since they didn't give Marth red hair for his Roy costume.
Purple - Color's Roy's armor a black, white, and purple color.

Fanart

[collapse=Artworks]Some Miiverse posts I've made a looong time ago:

^ internet glitched up, and I couldn't post but I took a pic with my webcam

Smash 4 icon:

Credit goes to J04KlM

Credit

Credit: N3ON
[/collapse]

Videos

What you could do to help: SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!!

Spread this site around: http://www.royforsmash4.com/

I'm going to go over various ways people could show their support and reach out via social media. This will be quick and to the point.

Twitter: Follow @roy4smash4 and tweet to important people and those who you think could spread the support around. Be sure to include links to any external sources/sites you feel are relevent to Roy's support, such as this site: http://www.royforsmash4.com/ and #Roy4Smash4 everything! One of the best things to get our voices heard, especially if we could get a lot of supporters on this!

List of important people:

• @Sora_Sakurai (Masahiro Sakurai, Game Director)
  • @Nintendo (Nintendo of Japan)
  • @NintendoAmerica (Nintendo of America)
  • @HIGUCHI_BNG (Yoshito Higuchi, Game Director)
  • @Harada_TEKKEN (Katsuhiro Harada, Namco Bandai producer/Game Producer/Lead Developer of Tekken)
  • @BandaiNamcoUS (Bandai Namco Games)
  • @trintran (Bill Trinen, Nintendo Treehouse Member)

Feel free to add anyone else you think is important.

Letters: Sending a physical letter shows commitment and thought -- it's probably one of the best ways to get through to people. I hope to be sending letters out soon, and when I do, I will post an example for people to copy if they are short on time. However, in the meantime, grab some nice stationery paper to print, and start typing out letters to mail! or write if you have nice handwriting... ya, that will never be me. For now, brief letter structure idea:

1) Greeting/Introduction (who are you and what are you going to be talking about?)
2) Body (why do you support Roy, why does his absence have a negative effect on you, what can he bring, ect., and anything else you think is important)
3) Closing/last words (be sure to leave a polite and good impression)
4) Signature (or anonymously signed if you prefer)
5) Postscript ("P.S." at the end of the letter. Usually applies to pen & ink written letters. If you forgot something/have something else to say that may be a little off topic [usually applies to e-mails], here's your chance)

Letter example: Here's a letter I've sent to Nintendo of America customer support (nintendo@noa.nintendo.com) that could be copied for those short on time. It can also be edited to your liking, especially if you're mailing to a different company.

Dear Nintendo of America,

I'm an avid fan of the Super Smash Bros. series and I am aware that there will be character DLC for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U in the future, with Mewtwo being available next year. As such, I thought it would be appropriate to contact you in regards to a suggestion I have: would you consider developing Roy (from the Fire Emblem series) as a DLC fighter for Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U?

Roy was introduced in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a clone fighter, however, he hasn't returned since. His removal has negatively affected me, as Roy is the main fighter I use in Melee. In addition, I miss the various fun things he brought to the series such as his fighting style and character. Many other "clone" fighters from Melee have gotten unique characteristics and moves attributed to them in this installment, and I'm sure the same thing would happen to Roy if he were in. Not only that, but his unique sword has fire and magical properties, which can be a starting point for an interesting, new moveset. Roy's sword also does more damage near the middle of the blade, making him have an interesting rushdown playstyle -- a playstyle in which a fighter has to get close and in his opponent's face is something I'm fond of. Although the game Roy hails from (Fire Emblem: Binding Blade) has never been released in the West, I am still intrigued by Roy and I also love his youthful character he brought to the Smash Bros. series.

I appreciate Nintendo taking the time to read my request. I am willing to purchase Roy for DLC, and I know many others would as well. If you have some time to spare, please check out this website made by Roy supporters: www.royforsmash4.com. The site goes over reasons why we want to see Roy again, why he would be a great choice for DLC, what could he offer as a fighter, and many other things. The site has also gathered over 1, 200 supporters for the return of Roy.

Thank you,

[name here]
I'd recommend bolding or underlining important questions you're asking. It's a neat trick that helps emphasize on what's being said, catching the reader's eyes on what's important more easily.

Snail mail addresses:

• Nintendo of America: 4600 150th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052, United States
  • Namco Bandai: 1740 Technology Drive, Suite 600; San Jose, CA 95110
  • Nintendo head office: Nintendo Company, Ltd., 11-1 Kamitoba-hokotate-cho, Minami-ku, Kyoto 601-8501, Japan
  • Intelligent Systems main office: INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS CO., LTD., 10 Daimotsu-cho Kamitoba Minami-ku, Kyoto-shi Kyoto-fu 601-8121, Japan
***Don't forget to buy international stamps if you're sending mail outside your country!***

You can also send letters by email. Here's some addresses:

- Nintendo of America: Contact Nintendo directly here. The site allows you to contact Nintendo through a support ticket process, however, there is a max character limit for what you want to write. Instead, I recommend contacting NoA via email through this support address: nintendo@noa.nintendo.com
- Namco Bandai: support@namcobandaigames.com (website, customer support)
- Intelligent Systems: webmaster@intsys.co.jp (website)

***Please remember to be polite and courteous when reaching out via social media. There's nothing wrong with trying to make a strong, loud impression, however, we should also make a good impression***​

Other ways:

- Miiverse. There's a big Smash 4 community there, no?
- Club Nintendo surveys. Codes are found within the games you buy, and you could register them to partake in surveys. I suggest people to sign up (it's free, website) and when you buy Smash 3DS or Wii U, participate in the survey. I know for the Smash 3DS survey, near the end there's a question that asks what are you looking forward to/what are you excited about. So, perhaps it's a good time to express that you're excited for character DLC, but also mention you would like to see Roy return. I'm sure developers do check these surveys as Paper Mario: Sticker Star's lack of story was supposedly because a low amount of people expressed interest in story elements, taken from the Club Nintendo survey. It's feedback in the end, and we're allowed to give it
- Online character polls. Vote for Roy every time you see a Smash DLC popularity poll, whether on this site or elsewhere. It's a good way to gauge interest in Roy in the West
- Call people. Nintendo of America: (425)-882-2040 and Namco Bandai: (408)-235-2000

The future isn't bleak

Roy will need all the support he could get. However, even if Roy does not become playable in the end, there may be some positive outcomes to look forward too. A higher-up at IS has previously stated that he would like to see FE6 remade. As such, showing support for Roy in Smash and a FE6 remake (or even for the game to be localized on VC) may eventually lead to Roy getting a proper introduction here. No doubt Roy's more popular in Japan (FE6 is usually highly acclaimed too), but if Japan sees the West's interest in Roy, well, then who knows. Please don't be shy to spread the movement around -- tell your friends, family, and everyone else in between. Most of us are viewing this thread on some sort of device with wifi... why not spend 5 min tweeting your support for Roy, or writing an email? It doesn't hurt to at least try.

Gotta give credit when it'e due. Thanks @BKupa666 for the many campaign ideas.
And thanks to all the supporters!

List of Supporters

•Col•
_Magus_
-Rhythm-
~ Valkyrie ~
Adeptmune
AlMasterX
Another K-2L Survivor
Awesomedude4444
Azure Warrior
b2j135
Ben Holt
BluePikmin11
BoN~
Boo Jr.
CadePirate
CamZ
CardiganBoy
Chris_Skorniak
ChronoBound
Croph
Dark Emperor Hardin
Davregis
Deathlightning21
dezeray112
DoodleDuck97
DougX
Extremmefan
FalKoopa
ferioku
Floppeh
Formaldehyde
Geoffrey Druyts
Ghirahilda
Guineapig126
Hellrazor
IceColdSoda
ItsRy
J04KlM
Jaden
JJpalmer
Johto&SinnohFan
KFrosty
Kirbyfan391
LEGOfan12
loganhogan
LozNerd
Lucimar
Marthmario
MarthOfHyrule
Masonry the Brick Lord
MewKwota
mynameisv
Narth
Nauzgo
Nekoo
NintenPunk92
NotLightningRunner
Oblivion129
oni333
Pelleas
Psionic
Rabbattack
RockerJay
rodriGOAT
royalblue
Roy-Kun
Roy Pharae
Royvolution Ream
ScatmansWorld25
SchAlternate
ShionKaito438
SmasherBZ
SMX
Speed
SSB4 Roy Pharae
Steelia
Strider_Bond00J
Tahu Mata
Tantei
the8thark
The Revolutionary Cafe
Troykv
Umbra of Shadows
Waluigi is too big
wildvine47
Wintropy
XStarWarriorX
Xtreme Dragon
Young Horsetail
zkaka3000
ZRoy

Please tag me/reply in this thread if you'd like to be added

MORE COMING SOON!!

If you'd like to contribute anything for the OP, feel free to tell me and I'll get on it.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I would be ecstatic if Roy returned, hopefully with at least a luigified moveset and his (godly) FE13 appearance.
Nah Roy isn't coming back, there's nothing supporting Roy in fact his game is old and he was already removed one...and if the redesign was your redeeming point, remember that "he isn't the only character with a redesign" and if you saw his game model you will know they barely worked in him....

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Nah Roy isn't coming back, there's nothing supporting Roy in fact his game is old and he was already removed one...and if the redesign was your redeeming point, remember that "he isn't the only character with a redesign" and if you saw his game model you will know they barely worked in him....
Then again, Roy was in the Forbidden 7, removed due to time constraints. It's not too unreasonable to say he could come back.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Can't you let us dream?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Can't you let us dream?
Dream while you are sleeping bro, here we only work with facts , and facts aren't showing any sympathy with Roy's case...."My main in Melee is Roy"...

Then again, Roy was in the Forbidden 7, removed due to time constraints. It's not too unreasonable to say he could come back.
I hardly find the Forbidden 7 as a good point, no one knows why they were removed...time constraints could've been a factor but maybe they didn't want to include them...after all Sakurai single-handedly took over the balancing of characters...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Dream while you are sleeping bro, here we only work with facts , and facts aren't showing any sympathy with Roy's case...."My main in Melee is Roy"...
Well right now, there aren't ANY facts in terms of characters in Smash 4. When it comes to Roy, the fact is he was going to be in Brawl but didn't make it due to TIME.

BSP

Smash Legend
Isn't some of Roy's data actually in Brawl?

Don't quote me on it, but I could've sworn some of it was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Roy is still the second most requested character in Japan, where character popularity matters more anyway. And while he wasn't in Brawl, it's not because he was "removed" as Young Link and Pichu were, he was still planned, and was the second closest to completion, which shows that Sakurai still cared about adding him.

And I wasn't using his redesign as a point for his inclusion, I was just commenting on how awesome it looks. But him appearing again, while one of many redesigned characters, doesn't hurt his chances.

I hardly find the Forbidden 7 as a good point, no one knows why they were removed...time constraints could've been a factor but maybe they didn't want to include them...after Sakurai single-handedly took over the balancing of characters...
The Forbidden 7 is a fine point. It's quite obvious Roy and the other 6 (except perhaps Dixie) weren't included due to time constraints, but all at one time had the intention to be included. If they didn't want to include them they wouldn't have gone to the effort of partially programming them. And Sakurai single-handedly balancing characters is nothing new to Brawl, he's been doing it since 64, and only now with SSB4 is getting help with it.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Isn't some of Roy's data actually in Brawl?

Don't quote me on it, but I could've sworn some of it was.
Yes you are correct, but the thing is, there was no reason given why such big chunk of leftover data were there on first place, people are speculating that it is because of time constrains but I highly doubt it, I don't know but I think it's about Sakurai not wanting to balance any more characters...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Didn't we tend to ignore Ike-Sama in the old thread.

Roy absolutely has a good shot. If his FIRE SWORD were played up in a new moveset, that'd make him much more interesting and stand out among the entire roster. The only other option for a Fire Emblem character is Krom. It's even possible Ike may leave.

PREDICTING FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS IS ALWAYS A MESS, but with only four options and it being likely that we'll have at least three characters from it, Roy's got it pretty good.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would be ecstatic if Roy returned, hopefully with at least a luigified moveset and his (godly) FE13 appearance.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Krom is destroying Roy's chances....now Krom gotta be the most likeable Lord of all time in Fire Emblem....Roy have alot of haters (I hate him in his game he was weak)..... Ike chance are way higher than Roy's...it seems Intelligent Sys have high regards for Ike to...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Do you have a source for this?
Chronobound's Japanese's findings:
Anyway, here is what I found:
- Mewtwo and Roy are BY FAR the most requested characters for Smash 4. There are no other characters that come close to them in the amount of requests in the comments.
- For Fire Emblem, the only character to receive a notable amount of requests was Roy (of which he probably had the most requests of any character).
- For Pokemon, Mewtwo left every character in the dust (except Roy). However, there were quite a few Pokemon that received a lot of requests. Zoroark received many requests. However, both Victini and Black/White Trainer also received quite a few requests.
[COLLAPSE="Non-Roy related stuff"]- The true newcomers with the most requests are Waluigi and Starfy.
- For Mario characters its Waluigi>Geno=Dr. Mario>Bowser Jr.=Toad
- For Donkey Kong its Dixie Kong > K. Rool, both got many requests, though Dixie Kong more so, usually its the over way around.
- Ridley, Little Mac, Takamaru, Samurai Goroh, Krystal, Isaac, Saki, Lip, Sukapon got barely any requests (2 or 3)
- Black Shadow is easily the favorite for a F-Zero newcomer.
- Gooey (the second playable character from Dream Land 3) has quite a bit of support in the comments for some reason. The next most supported Kirby character is Galactica Knight.
- Kumatora is the most requested female character outside of Dixie Kong. She is the only Mother character to get a decent amount of requests.
- Basically no requests for Zelda characters.
- Barely any requests for Kid Icarus characters (I think Palutena came up three times though).
- Mega Man is the most wanted third-party character.
- Ryu and Leon from Resident Evil also have quite a bit of support.
- For Square-Enix characters, the characters that got the most support were Geno, Cloud, Terry (Dragon Quest), and Sora
- No other third-party characters outside of Capcom and Square-Enix were heavily requested.
- Lots of idiots suggesting anime characters. Doraemon, Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanaho were what I saw come up the most[/COLLAPSE]
These results are a several weeks old, but most of the info is still probably fairly accurate.

My bad I forgot, though I can see why. ;):awesome:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Chronobound's Japanese's findings:
These results are a several weeks old, but most of the info is still probably fairly accurate.
Hmm. Is this from him searching through a Smash Bros. fan forum or something? I can imagine that Smash Bros. fans would have a bias towards characters they know from Smash Bros. games, as opposed to the general public. I find it hard to believe that Roy is generally favored over Krom, especially with how well Fire Emblem: Awakening is selling in Japan.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not for or against Roy coming back.

It's more like months old. Might have been before even Awakening was announced.
Oh.. well, nevermind then.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I'd give Roy a 25% chance of returning. Fuuin No Tsurugi dates back to 2002, and despite his redesign in Awakening, I question whether his role there will be enough.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's more like months old. Might have been before even Awakening was announced.
It's from March. So, once Awakening came out, I would guess that Krom probably gained alot more support, but I'm not sure if that means Roy lost support or they're both fairly popular.

I could use some new ChronoBound findings. :laugh:

sheik93 said:
Hmm. Is this from him searching through a Smash Bros. fan forum or something? I can imagine that Smash Bros. fans would have a bias towards characters they know from Smash Bros. games, as opposed to the general public. I find it hard to believe that Roy is generally favored over Krom, especially with how well Fire Emblem: Awakening is selling in Japan.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not for or against Roy coming back.
I believe it's the results of a few Smash forums or sites, but I don't know which ones. And yeah, I believe Krom is more popular than Roy right now in general, but Roy is still more requested for Smash. But those results I posted were older than I thought, so now it might be a little different, although even if Roy lost some popularity, he would still be one of the most requested.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Please... Roy should back and replaces Ike
With that, we can have a perfect FE roster <3
btw, still the char with lowest % to come back, along with Pichu (in my opinion)

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Please... Roy should back and replaces Ike
With that, we can have a perfect FE roster <3
btw, still the char with lowest % to come back, along with Pichu (in my opinion)
Why should Roy replace Ike when Roy = Marth in SSBM and even in his game like most Lords Marth and Roy are similar in class and style....so Roy doesn't have anything that makes him special, there are way better candidates than Roy, he was put to promote the game...I remember reading Marth was the only character presenting Fire Emblem but it seems that Int Sys. have persuaded Sakurai to add Roy to boost the game sales....Ike was suggested by Int Sys. ....because Sakurai wanted a second Rep for SSBB....so you can say Roy never existed in SSB. he was only a one time character while Ike is considered the second character that Sakurai asked for.....

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

Roy absolutely has a good shot. If his FIRE SWORD were played up in a new moveset, that'd make him much more interesting and stand out among the entire roster. The only other option for a Fire Emblem character is Krom. It's even possible Ike may leave.

PREDICTING FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS IS ALWAYS A MESS, but with only four options and it being likely that we'll have at least three characters from it, Roy's got it pretty good.
We did.

I keep hearing about a thrusty gameplay he should have.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Too be honest I really hope Roy doens't return. He is one of the most boring lords in the series and he is really not all that interesting.

Plus he was Marth's clone in melee.

I'd rather see any other Fire Emblem Lord instead of him, or even better, a non lord character.

That'd be just too great to even happen.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Too be honest I really hope Roy doens't return. He is one of the most boring lords in the series and he is really not all that interesting.

Plus he was Marth's clone in melee.

I'd rather see any other Fire Emblem Lord instead of him, or even better, a non lord character.

That'd be just too great to even happen.
Someone speak something out of his mind, finally...Roy is only popular because he was in melee, if he wasn't in melee he would've been the last lord you'd want in your roster....he isn't that awesome in his game, in Fuuin no Tsurugi he sucks...literally even worse than his father Eliwood...you'd hate the game because of him of how sucky he can be....I wish Dieck or Oujay were the main characters atleast they wouldn't have sucked....

And what's the deal with ignoring me ? people should know better...you can't ignore everything you don't like....you must hear the bad and the good...and TBH you gotta admit I bring some damn good points about Roy.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Lol

now Krom gotta be the most likeable Lord of all time in Fire Emblem
Probably due to the fact that he's the Lord for IS's previously hinted FE All-Stars game, not to mention the fact that he takes things from the majority of previous male FE lords.

Marth's Sword, Ike's Style and Skills, Ephraim and Alm's personalities, Roy's special abilities (lances and whatnot), ect.

I could use some new ChronoBound findings. :laugh:
Should have some more in the info thread on the first page or so.

I believe it's the results of a few Smash forums or sites, but I don't know which ones. And yeah, I believe Krom is more popular than Roy right now in general, but Roy is still more requested for Smash. But those results I posted were older than I thought, so now it might be a little different, although even if Roy lost some popularity, he would still be one of the most requested.
This.

Also am stealing this from my blog:

Roy:

Was added in Melee by Sakurai for the heck of it, not for promotion, and not because he was new. He was planned to be in Brawl but was cut at the last second like Mewtwo, he also had the second largest amount of programed data after Mewtwo too. And yet again, after Mewtwo, he has the second highest amount of requests to make it back into Smash.Ike’s Eruption move was given to Ike after Sakurai got rid of Ike’s projectile attack for balance, Eruption, I think we can all bet, was obviously made for Roy, so Sakurai even had him planned to the extent of changing his moveset (Marth also got a few moves changed too). IS wants to see his game get a remake for the west, so they have his back too. Roy has plenty in his favor, but still, for me at least, there's something holding him back.
^^^ Used to have links included, so feel free to request them.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Lol

Probably due to the fact that he's the Lord for IS's previously hinted FE All-Stars game, not to mention the fact that he takes things from the majority of previous male FE lords.

Marth's Sword, Ike's Style and Skills, Ephraim and Alm's personalities, Roy's special abilities (lances and whatnot), ect.

Should have some more in the info thread on the first page or so.

This.

Also am stealing this from my blog:

^^^ Used to have links included, so feel free to request them.
Well you can't blame me for not knowing, but if you would share the links I appreciate it :).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Roy:

Was added in Melee by Sakurai for the heck of it, not for promotion, and not because he was new. He was planned to be in Brawl but was cut at the last second like Mewtwo, he also had the second largest amount of programed data after Mewtwo too. And yet again, after Mewtwo, he has the second highest amount of requests to make it back into Smash. Ike’s Eruption move was given to Ike after Sakurai got rid of Ike’s projectile attack for balance, Eruption, I think we can all bet, was obviously made for Roy, so Sakurai even had him planned to the extent of changing his moveset (Marth also got a few moves changed too). IS wants to see his game get a remake for the west, so they have his back too. Roy has plenty in his favor, but still, for me at least, there's something holding him back.
Probably should have just done this to begin with. lol

The last link also mentions FE All-Stars, which I think we all know now is FE13.

EDIT: Stole this from the info thread:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I definitely wouldn't mind Roy being included, now that Chrono isn't around to make me hate him. His new style is awesome, and since Micaiah, and Caeda are forbidden subjects, ill put my token on Roy for what FE character I want. Try, you should make a Caeda thread!

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I definitely wouldn't mind Roy being included, now that Chrono isn't around to make me hate him. His new style is awesome, and since Micaiah, and Caeda are forbidden subjects, ill put my token on Roy for what FE character I want. Try, you should make a Caeda thread!

:phone:
Been wondering where Chrono is. But nah, I'd support a Caeda thread, but I don't see the point in starting one anymore. Would feel as silly as that Black Knight Social Group.

I'll probably be the one to do the Palutena one at some point though.

Also to keep on topic, here's my thoughts on Krom:

Krom:

The most recent FE lord character, but he has a lot to contend with besides Ike and Roy’s popularity and place in Smash before him. FE13 was IS’s all-star Fire Emblem game that they said they hoped to do in an interview a while back. Krom himself is a mix of all the Smash lords too: he has Marth’s weapon, Ike’s special attacks, and Roy’s abilities (can use lances too). He’s also from the same FE timeline as Marth and is his descendant too, so over-representing Marth’s games is something that may be avoided. Still Krom himself has plenty to work with to make himself his own character, and has an up and coming Smash fanbase (I haven’t seen it yet though), and his game is the bestselling in the series. It really just depends on what Sakurai thinks of him as a standalone character in comparison to what he already has (Marth, Ike, Roy) and if his Smash fanbase can catch up.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Roy, as a matter of fact, is our boy. That's reasoning enough right there.

Also, shoutouts to chibi Hatsune Miku.

Chronobound, where you at.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
To be honest I am sure Roy's popularity is entirely due to him being in smash.

Not that there is anything wrong with it since thanks to Smash obscure games like Fire Emblem and EarthBound became better known.

But seriously. Roy as a character both gameplay-wise and story wise is just awful. He is really bland as a character. And as unlikely as it may be due to the nature of smash's cast selection I'd rather see any of the supporting characters in any Fire Emblem rather than a lord (Unless Hector) Not just because they are usually more interesting than the main characters, but also because they would be really interesting gameplaywise.

Having a Mage would be pretty cool in smash.

Hell they could add Krom and his sister, at least she would show some more variety in the franchise's rep of 3 Cape-wearing swordsmen with bad anime hair.

Steelia

Smash Champion
To be honest I am sure Roy's popularity is entirely due to him being in smash.
Same with Lucario. Same with Pit. Same with many other fighters from the games. It just so happens that Roy's character in Smash is very distinct... whether it's his voice (awesome voice) or playstyle, he found a way to stick out. Marth has the moves, but Roy has the character.

Either way, I'm loving the support Roy has been gathering, him and Mewtwo. Roy and Marth have really good chemistry together, it just didn't feel the same without him in SSBB. I'm hoping the two of them can reunite on the roster once more in either SSB Wii U or SSB 3DS; hopefully Krom or Ike don't screw things up.
Plus, we need a little more redhead. Too much blue hair everywhere.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wait a second

This is so dumb. Are we trying to discredit Roy from a gaming series he got his popularity from? Oh god.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Same with Lucario. Same with Pit. Same with many other fighters from the games. It just so happens that Roy's character in Smash is very distinct... whether it's his voice (awesome voice) or playstyle, he found a way to stick out. Marth has the moves, but Roy has the character.

Either way, I'm loving the support Roy has been gathering, him and Mewtwo. Roy and Marth have really good chemistry together, it just didn't feel the same without him in SSBB. I'm hoping the two of them can reunite on the roster once more in either SSB Wii U or SSB 3DS; hopefully Krom or Ike don't screw things up.
Plus, we need a little more redhead. Too much blue hair everywhere.

You think Roy and Marth have good chemistry together because they are basically the same....except one have a red hair and the other have a blue hair...when you see Ike and Marth together you know that those two are different because one is quite rough looking and the other look girly...people saying they are similar because of hair color are the most shallow.... anyways even though Roy have things going for him I still want any other character instead of Roy...

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
You think Roy and Marth have good chemistry together because they are basically the same....except one have a red hair and the other have a blue hair...when you see Ike and Marth together you know that those two are different because one is quite rough looking and the other look girly...people saying they are similar because of hair color are the most shallow.... anyways even though Roy have things going for him I still want any other character instead of Roy...
You salty, bro?

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Wait a second

This is so dumb. Are we trying to discredit Roy from a gaming series he got his popularity from? Oh god.
Actually a good point.

And as I said before, there's really nothing wrong with that.

BUT, What I am trying to say is.
Practically 3/4 of the entirety of the Fire Emblem cast would be a more interesting choice than him.

Roy had his chance. Is time for another character to become well known.

Also as an unnecessary note, I used to think Roy was cool.
Then I actually played FE6.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
This I understand, but the fact I saw a con for Roy being his popularity lies in Smash...it doesn't make sense since we're talking about Smash.

That's all. I personally would like Sothe in, but this is the Roy thread.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Alright then.

Too be honest I would only like him to come back if he gets a completely different move set.

At least that way he would be different from Marth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom