• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Cyclone Button Mash Topic: Guides and Tips

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
How many stocks have you lost from being gimped? How many times have you cursed over having Sheik fair you offstage as she takes advantage of your non existent air speed, forcing you to rely heavily on BOTH your jumps? How many times have you seen an opponent just below the stage, and you've wanted to spike them so bad with cyclone...but just couldn't risk it?

Lets face it, one thing that is holding all of us Luigi players back is our ability to mash the b button for cyclone in order to get a jumpless cyclone. If we could accomplish better mashing, we could go for better gimps and recover better. Making Luigi a more threatening presence off stage is one big step to advance his meta game. Let's unlock his potential, together!

So yeah, post any tips, hints, videos, guides you found useful in order to help others master mashing that special button! I haven't decided on a format as to how i'll organize the information...but we shall see how it goes.

Remember... what might not work for you, may just be right for some!

Again, with no organization of info as of yet, I'll spout some tips I've learned: Work on your tricep muscles. I will also link the video pertaining to that info when i find it again for reference.

Ill try to go for a video section, general tips section, and whatever else I think of.

We need to help eachother develop this part of his game, one Luigi at a time.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I literally change how I hold the controller to do it. I mash much faster with my index finger, so that's what I do. I can go to that, then back to a normal position, without any real loss in functionality. Needs to be done very fast, though. I tech with L if I need to, but it allows me a lot of speed and control on the mash. It allows me to do the jumpless cyclone 100% of the time.

So my best advice is to locate what allows you to press the button the fastest regardless of how you hold the controller. After you figure that out, make the controller adjustment part of the Down-B process. It'll be sloppy at first, but it's worked since Melee (for me).

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
I feel like this topic and the board in general need some more input.

On the topic of jumpless cyclones, I really do feel like I'll never be as good as I can be without being able to do this consistently off stage - regardless of how well I master fundamentals and reading my opponent. The weird thing is I can almost always rise off of the ground by tensing my arm and hitting the B button in a jittery fashion with the tip of my thumb. But my results off stage are always much worse. On stage there are times where I can get a really impressive jumpless cyclone that exceeds the top platform on battlefield or miiverse, but any time I'm off stage the best I get is a stall.

Also, I'd been reading that old thread trying to get extra tips on the subject. Perhaps some of that info can get compiled here Yonder?

http://smashboards.com/threads/luigi-able-to-cyclone-recovery-without-2nd-jump.379965/

Last edited:

chic

Smash Ace
i finally decided to learn how to mash after i saw con con tweet that luigi is a mid tier character unless you can mash. i practiced at home for a few weeks before I busted a jumpless tornado mash at tournament. this video shows the first time I felt comfortable doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSX6aZhNciE (min 4:30) i'm even better now! i think the secret is doing it naturally and with confidence.

Last edited:

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
I too have just recently gotten it to work off stage. My go to is to use the hard joint area of my thumb and hit the B button in a tense circular sliding motion. This tends to make my shoulder hurt really bad after ~10 attempts, not sure why

Spectacles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Batfather
Anyone had any luck with the D-pad method? I have been testing it recent and when it works rises and to max height.

I've always been able to Gimp just never really recover with cyclone.

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
Anyone had any luck with the D-pad method? I have been testing it recent and when it works rises and to max height.

I've always been able to Gimp just never really recover with cyclone.
I tried that briefly and it didn't work at all. I feel like as far as alternative methods go, the c stick special is probably the best

Spectacles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Batfather
I tried that briefly and it didn't work at all. I feel like as far as alternative methods go, the c stick special is probably the best
C stick method? Please explain.

The D-pad method works for me. But it isn't consistent like I need.

chic

Smash Ace
i'm now able to consistently hit 14 mashes per second which is how much you need to hit max tornado height. i will try to post a video of my method this week.

Spectacles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Batfather
i'm now able to consistently hit 14 mashes per second which is how much you need to hit max tornado height. i will try to post a video of my method this week.

Awesome. Hope youre able to.

You use B button?

chic

Smash Ace
Yes only b button. I anchor the controller to the top of my right leg and jitter click the b button using the "meaty" part of my thumb. The rest of my fingers are pressing down on my leg to help stabilize. It was a little awkward at first but now i can recover low, gimp anything at a moments notice

Last edited:

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
C stick method? Please explain.

The D-pad method works for me. But it isn't consistent like I need.
In one of those older threads someone tried setting the c stick to "special" and then basically slammed it back and forth from top to bottom or left to right etc. I've tried it and it's kinda worked but I prefer just hitting the b button.

Yes only b button. I anchor the controller to the top of my right leg and jitter click the b button using the "meaty" part of my thumb. The rest of my fingers are pressing down on my leg to help stabilize. It was a little awkward at first but now i can recover low, gimp anything at a moments notice
This works great for me on stage but not off stage. I have to hit the B button as if I'm trying to violently rub a stain off of it

Last edited:

Spectacles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Batfather
I can get max heighth onstage no problem.

I guess its just practice. Ive even set 2 buttons to special and didnt work in the slightest. Would be nice to compile all the techniques here.

Ive read old thread where they tried to figure out Boss method. To no avail. Haha

Spectacles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Batfather
I been using Z button today. Mashing right side of Z button with my index. Achieved more height than i ever have pretty consistently.

Will keep testing.

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
I can get max heighth onstage no problem.

I guess its just practice. Ive even set 2 buttons to special and didnt work in the slightest. Would be nice to compile all the techniques here.
Well with my current method I can successfully rise offstage with about 75% consistency, and it seems to always work on stage. I wouldn't recommend trying multiple buttons; I can confirm that setting two different buttons to special actually hinders your ability to mash. It seems that the game cancels out any upward momentum if it detects that you are pressing more than one special button. As if... Sakurai knew we would all be scheming to try and make this crap easier...

a good tip for off stage is to make sure that you are already mashing at max speed prior to starting.
My prob with this lately is I get so focused on mashing that I forget to freaking input the move correctly, so I'll get random green missiles and other dumb stuff.

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
Yes, it looks like that using more than one button as a Special Move don't work . I tryed to assign Y as a Special Move, and I couldn't rise that much if it's not at all.

I've remarked that the Wii U Gamepad is more comfortable than the 3DS for me, simply because the Gamepad's buttons are less incremented in the controller. When I'm mashing B, I still use my thumb but hold the controller lower than usual, also it looks like my whole hand and arm become crazy. It's hard to explain, but it looks like I put all my nerves here. XD

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
When I'm mashing B, I still use my thumb but hold the controller lower than usual, also it looks like my whole hand and arm become crazy. It's hard to explain, but it looks like I put all my nerves here. XD
This is basically what it is for me; I get it to work about 85% of the time and it's not really about using my thumb. I drop the controller lower so I can straighten my arm against it and then I basically stiffen my hand and act like I'm grinding/rubbing clean the area of the controller where the B button is.

chic

Smash Ace
yes you're right and i should clarify - i only use this technique when I'm thrown off the stage and charge side b. when i need to gimp, or use tornado suddenly I just flex my arm out and jitter mash, which isn't quite as fast but still good. my ultimate goal would be to only use the latter method

doritos29

Smash Rookie
I find mashing a lot easier when my hands are warm. Cold hands lock your joints and makes it hard to mash.

HybridFlames

Smash Rookie
make sure you tense up your shoulder before mashing b something to also keep in mind is unless you can mash at the very least 10 times per second you wont go very far my mashing isnt amazing but i can keep luigi hovering in place half the time i get him a little higher with mashing but try to keep mashing faster and faster while you time yourself once you know how fast or slow you are just practice to get faster and faster dont be afraid to do it in the middle of a match either you might die a lot but if you master this it'll help you become an amazing luigi main.

Hukster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hukster
Okay guys. I know this isn't a recommended controller for like trying to do the whole Luigi Cyclone Button Mashing. But like, I play Nunchuck, I probably won't really get an answer for this. But like anyone else use this controller, and if so. What kind of layout or whatever would you recommend to try out for a mashing setup? I am not going to go to a GCC just for this, but I do second Luigi. So I'd like to see if anyone could possible give me any idea of what could be a pretty good idea to do.

Last edited:

doritos29

Smash Rookie
Okay guys. I know this isn't a recommended controller for like trying to do the whole Luigi Cyclone Button Mashing. But like, I play Nunchuck, I probably won't really get an answer for this. But like anyone else use this controller, and if so. What kind of layout or whatever would you recommend to try out for a mashing setup? I am not going to go to a GCC just for this, but I do second Luigi. So I'd like to see if anyone could possible give me any idea of what could be a pretty good idea to do.
I would try making the 1 button special so you don't have to rely on mashing the b button because it's very awkward.

Hukster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hukster
I would try making the 1 button special so you don't have to rely on mashing the b button because it's very awkward.
Yeah. I've been thinking I should probably do something like that. Probably will test something like this next time I get on Smash 4.

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
I use the nunchuk sometimes when I have to play online in team matches with friends. I use the B button and I have no problems with it, the input is easiest for me than the 1 button, I mean, it's for the taunts ... o_o

Hukster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hukster
I use the nunchuk sometimes when I have to play online in team matches with friends. I use the B button and I have no problems with it, the input is easiest for me than the 1 button, I mean, it's for the taunts ... o_o
Huh. That's weird, how do you mash with it then? Feels really weird to do it for me.

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
Huh. That's weird, how do you mash with it then? Feels really weird to do it for me.
For me the B button just feels like the LZ/RZ buttons of the GamePad, it probably sounds strange to mash a button like this but it works perfectly, you don't need to mash all the time. ;)
I can't hold the 1/2 buttons, I take almost 1 second to press one of them, 2 if I need to press them both and it"s not always successful. XD

Dugtrious

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have a suggestion for mashing if I want to use bidou? I can do it fine with standard setup, but mashing trigger isn't intuitive to me.

RobC

Smash Rookie
Once I realized all I had to do was vibrate my arm at my elbow it became easy for me. Mashing honestly takes muscle if you're going to do it consistently. Work out them triceps.

I'm not a fan of leaving the right part of the controller while mashing as I lose my focus on the others buttons, but it's indeed a good way to mash. It looks a bit the rythm I have when I'm mashing myself.
Wait..

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hey everyone, this is some great info, and i plan on organizing it soon. Thanks!

NeverKillAgain

Smash Cadet
I can understand not being able to recover with a jumpless Cyclone(I can't), but if you can't even GIMP with it, you have a problem. You only need to mash medium-fast, not 14 times per second.

Dugtrious Dugtrious Bidou isn't very good for Luigi

Last edited:

Daniel herrera

Smash Rookie
  • Currently i found my way to mash b i found it to be very effective as soon as i got use to it i have b and x set to special and i use the crease of my thumb and move it side to side from b to x it works pretty well for me let me know if ot helps

Top Bottom