• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Questions

Note: I'm a Meta Knight player.

• What's the best DI to escape the D-Air to D-Tilt lock combo?

• What's the best DI to survive Lucas's F-Smash/D-Smash?

• What's the best DI to escape Lucas's N-Air?

• Besides of Rainbow Cruise/Brinstar, where I should Counterpick Lucas?

¡Thanks in advance!

Chuee

Smash Hero
Note: I'm a Meta Knight player.

• What's the best DI to escape the D-Air to D-Tilt lock combo?

I think you can DI up and not get hit by the fourth hit, or you can tech it and avoid the lock.

• What's the best DI to survive Lucas's F-Smash/D-Smash?
DI up, don't get caught with bad DI because both kill stupidly low when you DI poorly.

• What's the best DI to escape Lucas's N-Air?
up iirc
I don't think it's too hard to DI since people I play get out of it most times.

• Besides of Rainbow Cruise/Brinstar, where I should Counterpick Lucas?
frigate

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I think you can DI up and not get hit by the fourth hit, or you can tech it and avoid the lock.

DI up, don't get caught with bad DI because both kill stupidly low when you DI poorly.

up iirc
I don't think it's too hard to DI since people I play get out of it most times.

frigate
¡Thank you very much for your answers Chuee!

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Well, if it's approaching, I think (don't quote me on this) that you can do a retreating fair and hit him while remaining undamaged. Also, pk fire obviously outranges it, as any of the 3 projectiles Lucas has, although PKF is obviously a quicker (and hence safer) choice.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
No. Nothing out ranges marth's attacks other than projectiles. Retreated foward air doesn't out range him.

U basically have to read the marth. If the marth chooses the correct option you are screwed. That's why u have to use mindgames, mixups, and cutting off options techniques.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Mekos you mentioned earlier that with your new Lucas strategy you can now take on any character
Do you still use a secondary even for your own personal bad matchups?
If so who do use as a secondary?

KoozyK

Smash Ace
lol what true lucas player has a secondary. the day i pick one up, is the day i stop playing this game.
lucas is the funnest character in the game. y play a game if ur not gonna have fun with it.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I don't have a secondary. Like Koozy, I don't have fun unless I am using lucas and wouldn't play brawl if I left him.

My worst matchups are sonic, snake, olimar, and tlink. Of course I am talking about just at high level play. Sonic, tlink, and olimar because lucas is bad at chasing. Snake because the risk/reward factors are just so terrible for us and it's hard to approach.

I'm not really worried about marth and dk. They only thing they have on us is the grab. Watch this match vs. Will. I see what I did wrong. Sometimes I went to aggro and got punished. Next time we face I will be a whole lot more careful than what I already was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So3c7d08NVU
With marth, yea he has more range on everything. But with my mixups and spacing I can get around them. That's why I have taken out the top marths except for Neo.

So for bad matchups instead of using a secondary, I build my mental game up. A bad matchup basically means that u have a whole lot less options than your opponent. With my new playstyle I have a lot less than what the current lucas matchup chart says imo. But to finish my point, against bad matchups I play extremely patient and don't approach when the opportunity is not in my favor. This is basically "spacing". When the small opportunity occurs I approach and punish. This is where mind games come into play. Most character will be playing their game but will go aggro wants they get fustrated. That is when u attack! For example, an olimar will spam all day right? No they wont! After they realize their spamming isn't working they will adapt and try something else. Wants they do that u approach with mixups and go for the win. That is just one example of one situation.

Smash is a heavy mental game. If your not thinking you are not playing at the highest level.
Of course u first need to reach a certain level in technical skill. I feel I have reached that level after clash 1 to where now it is purely about outsmarting your opponent. Before I had my new skills and tactics, I felt singles was just not possible for lucas. Many people remember here how I used to just say I would only focus on dubs.

Irsic

Smash Ace
A secondary is pretty much required. :\ I don't use Diddy very often, but in extreme cases I will and it's really not fun to fight a Marth who does nothing but abuse the grab release.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Irsic yer right and Koozy is wrong. U can't just not get grabbed. That is illogical that u will never get grabbed. I just lost to Kadaj this Saturday. It was last stock high% everygame and the only way he killed me except for once or twice was the grab release over and over into smash.

I didn't have the mental power to run away the way i needed to. I had already not lost a game in dubs(was satisfied) and didn't care for singles. That was my issue as singles is not my priority. I need to work on the mental part of my game for singles. Singles is about playing as gay as possible for as long as it takes. So for people with the grab release on us, it is for them to set up for it. And for us it to poke and run away the whole time.

I failed this weekend to do that but hope I am able to do that by apex. For at apex my goal is to make it out of pools for singles. Esam is helping me with my mental game for singles. It is my main struggle right now.

Clawdsf98

Smash Cadet
is lucas able to grab release wario like marth and other characters can or no?

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I seen a video of a Lucas that jumped in the air and used pk fire and it looked like a rising pk fire.
Like it rose up with him.
:phone:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah that's called a zap jump.

If you time a double jump and PK Fire, you will PK Fire while getting a boosted momentum from your double jump, causing you to shoot up in the air.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
You guys just won me some more low tiers lol. This character is the shiizz btw. Besides squirtle, he's the coolest character in the game

:phone:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'd definitely recommend using any other controller than just the wii-mote by itself. The wii-mote is rather limiting.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
lucas with wiimote is top tier just press buttons and win. all of lucas's moves get a 50% power boost when he's played with wiimote

psience doesn't know what he's talking about
come on man, it's not....
ROCKET PSIENCE!
BADUMCHING

Top Bottom