• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I've actually been getting in touch with alot of people as of late about tournaments. I'm expecting around 30+ for this upcoming Locals Only and I'm going to be advertising the **** out of CSM since its the very next day to show them the REAL scene. Also, TripleF 2 is right around the corner and that was such a big success last year, its going to be bigger this year. Some OoS people have actually already expressed interest.

Since our recent trip to Resist; Alabama, PCola, and surrounding areas have been very friendly to us. Hopefully our trip to Oh Snap will benefit us the same.

ChKn and I are good now. We're going to be working together from now on instead of competing for turnouts. ChKn has mad good organizing skills and getting things in order teamed up with my people-skills and being a bamf, we should expect a big turnout soon. (lol)

Lafayette is definitely going to step it up in 2011. MasterMajora, Trint, FPDav, and Oathkeeper are actually getting serious into the game, so you should expect to see us at ALOT more tournies.

I've also recently gotten in touch with Blaise (who remembers him?) and he says he's going to make a comeback in 2011. I'm meeting up with him today actually to play some smash with him.

The one thing that concerns me and I want to see changed is the lack of someone stepping it up. I haven't seen an upset or someone rising in the ranks in quite some time. All I see is older players quitting so the people under them move up. If I can do it, what can't you?
This.

D

Deleted member

melee will never get back to glory unless the brawl players (or younger generation of 'smash' players in general) start playing seriously. all the OG melee crew are getting old and have too many responsibilities to regularly practice and attend tourneys. (seriously if youre still in high school or in college but dont have to get a job and support yourself, take FULL advantage of it. this is the best time of your life) basically it's just unrealistic to expect the current best melee players to attend all tourneys and play seriously. someone else has to take the torch. ARCADIA?!

also, i feel like people are much more willing to read shorter paragraphs. keep that in mind. lazy community.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
We're total jackases to noobs. When we find a small community of noobs, or individual ones, we do everything in our power to crush their spirits. Not only are we jackases, but we're lazy. I mean, we play video games constantly, we're not exactly go-getters. We're not going to go out and 'recruit', we're not gonna try and teach people in any sort of patient matter. There are people who play in Laffy, there are definitely people who play in BR. There was a noob tourny at BRCC less than a year ago. Hypothetically, if we weren't lazy jackases, we're too disorganized to put things together. Now that I'm done with my diatribe, some suggestions.

Flyers work, Facebook works, Smashfests (and the like) work. I used to play in the Union with other OGs, and that allowed me to ease into a more competitive environment. Next tourny, I think before and after (if there's time), and even during (if there's enough setups) the tourny, we need to play the noobs and give suggestions, help them out, even play them with their own chars. I learned from RAM at a tourny the same way. I would do those things myself, but I'm one of those lazy jackases.

'V'

Smash Lord
If you want my opinion, I'd say we should just leave it all be. If people wanna play and get better, then all they have to do is ask and work for it. Keep in mind that the games are old now and most people have moved on, so it'll be hard to get that much more people.

I still play when other people are playing. That's all I really have to say.

Savon

Smash Ace
I disagree about the community not being helpful. Adam and I are both pretty new to the brawl scene, but we have gotten a lot of advice and help from people at Dibbz and local tournaments. Ran helped me out tons with improving my Snake, and Lee helped out Adam with his Diddy at Dibbz according to what he told me. I can't say anything about the Melee community, but the Brawl community has been extremely helpful and encouraging in helping me improve my game since I started playing competitively. We just need to advertise tournaments more.

ChKn

Smash Ace
If you want my opinion, I'd say we should just leave it all be. If people wanna play and get better, then all they have to do is ask and work for it. Keep in mind that the games are old now and most people have moved on, so it'll be hard to get that much more people.
Doesn't stop us from trying. I personally don't want someone driving me(or I drive myself) 2 1/2 hours for a tournament that has 16- entrants. I could stay in Lafayette for that. I'm sure that OoT people driving to Lafayette have the same concerns.

People will still play the game for their own reasons. I still see multiple, different people playing the game. It's all about getting those people in the same place.

I don't want to take a wait-and-see approach cause that's just goes against our goal of getting much more people to come here.

'V'

Smash Lord
It just seems like every time that we try to get more people into the scene, we get one or two people at best, and they never stay in the scene for long.

Just sayin'.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Aight.

So now I really gotta beat JNig.

Also whos going to whobo for melee cuz I need a doubles partner.

And why does no one acknowledge my t-ness.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Oh, it can work. It's worked before, and pepole just need to get their **** together. I blame the younger generations. Rap music and raves, whatever.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey, I'm not a Smash player anymore, but rather other FGs, but I'd like to see what the Smash scene is like in this state. I'm hoping to make it to the BR tournament this Saturday since classes don't start until Tuesday. I'd like to spend my Saturday doing something interesting.

I just made my cousin sell blazeblue cs.

Noel *****.
Actually, she's low tier in CS, but you like the character which is all that matters.

She got massive buffs in CS2.

It just seems like every time that we try to get more people into the scene, we get one or two people at best, and they never stay in the scene for long.

Just sayin'.
As it was mentioned, this game is nearly three years old. Most people would've gone on to something else by now. At least you guys are trying to get people into the scene. Wish I could say the same about the SRK LA scene. I can't think much of anything they've done in their thread.

If I might make a suggestion, if you don't do it already, why not do tournaments twice a month at the same place?

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
I remember the last GWare Brawl tourney having 40-50+ ppl. I'm still confused as to why no more smash is wanted, seeing as how the turnout for anything else is never really even half that or big at all. I want to get better, but everytime there's a get together it's always distant to the point of which I can't make it and if I ever ask for a ride no one replies =\

ChKn

Smash Ace
I think it's just the fact that different areas in the state come up with a bunch of tournies like Lafayette(srsly we have like 5 tournaments in two months in 4 different venues), so it makes it rather hard to schedule. It's also dependent on the TO as well.

I know some people that I talk to about Smash in general go "Oh! I love the game/series!" It's all a matter of figuring out an alluring way to get those people to go to tournaments.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Most people get pissed when their first experience of competitive brawl is getting grabbed and then chaingrabbed to death 3 times.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Melee.

In terms you might understand.

MVC2
Actually, I don't play MVC2. I just started venturing to other fighters two years ago when SFIV came out.

And what I meant by "gone on to something else", I was referring to people that don't already play the game competitively. At this point in time, you'd have a difficult time getting anyone but the semi-serious into the scene. I was not talking about scenes that still exist.

Oh, and ST still has a scene and that's from '94/'95.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Most people get pissed when their first experience of competitive brawl is getting grabbed and then chaingrabbed to death 3 times.
or getting paired against Lee Martin every tournament because theyre new and get seeded at the bottom.

:glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare:

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
The one thing that concerns me and I want to see changed is the lack of someone stepping it up. I haven't seen an upset or someone rising in the ranks in quite some time. All I see is older players quitting so the people under them move up. If I can do it, what can't you?
Your wish is my command.

1/9/2011 $1 MM results

Blaise (Fox) 2: Curlz (Metaknight/Pikachaingrabbinchu) 0
Blaise (Ike) 2: Curlz (Metaknight) 1

I'm either going to chinese inn or oh snap next week, 2 lafayette tourneys next week, and to february fight fest. 2011's gonna be sweet. Roni, money match me.

D

Deleted member

you dont get seeded low for being new. you get seeded low for being bad.

'V'

Smash Lord
I remember the last GWare Brawl tourney having 40-50+ ppl. I'm still confused as to why no more smash is wanted, seeing as how the turnout for anything else is never really even half that or big at all. I want to get better, but everytime there's a get together it's always distant to the point of which I can't make it and if I ever ask for a ride no one replies =\
The last GWare Brawl tourney had 20 people at most. I don't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't big at all. This was during the really big tournament drought and right before I introduced the Smash Reformation for Melee, which had 33 people and was the biggest turnout for a smash tournament that we had in about 6 months and stayed that way for quite a long time until Curlz had a large turnout for his local tournament.

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
Picking up Ike and Olimar...

Also by last tourney, I meant the last one I went to, which was a hella long time ago. I still have an AIB entry to prove attendance.

D

Deleted member

i see all this mention of ike for no reason. yall know hes a bad character right? but fyi, if i played brawl i would play ike...

Top Bottom