• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

BSP

Smash Legend
Herb 3: Lozr v Hungrybox

First second of the match, "Baby Brother!"

Melee matches aren't nearly as interesting as the people lol

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Dude, what're y'all talkin about? I'd totally do S Ryu. Y'all are crazy.

Hey noobs, know what all the cool kids are doin? Postin like less than 6 times a minute. Quit ****in postin so ****in much unless y'all got something to say. And if it's to an individual, PM them. And **** y'all.

Drunk. Thank you. John Lynch is ballin. He oughta be on MvC3. Just like IceMann. Except I'd have cooler moves than the other Iceman. And FergieFerg got a penis, y'all knew that? Oh, and y'all get to pick what my new sig is. Give me some ideas.

Edit: (Namesearch) Nicknyte, I wanna play your Luigi. Loo v Loo, sex kick only.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
baby brother?
Nope, and still wouldn't say here even if I had one :p

Saph is a Rockies fan lol. I'll convert you to a different team.
Not a Rockies fan. I took their logo and took out the baseball but everyone still sees it as the team... :/ I like the mountains.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
My dad just won his lawsuit, which means that i will no longer have to share a car.

I might show up at dibbz tonight.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Eh. Jerseys are 80 dollars. ****. Foot Locker has it for 50 dollars, but I don't wear XXL lol.

EDIT: ****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEAH!

ChKn

Smash Ace
I just want the Eagles to beat the Packers. Idk if the Seahawks win again lol. That crowd was hype.

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
Did Brees actually get hurt this year?
Actually he had a knee injury, a torn ligament I think, but I know it was his knee in Week 3. He played through it, but I'm sure it could've been the cause of him throwing double the INTs he did last year or decline in performance.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
WE GOIN TO OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!11!!!1

Awww yee Roni Lee Curlz Jio and me gonna go **** some shiz. Expect me and Lee to go 1-2 respectively
in Brawl-

ChKn

Smash Ace
Alright, this is something I wanted to get off my chest for a few months.

My first actual tournament to get into this community was LAST 3 in Baton Rouge my junior year in high school. I lost like 3 of my four pool matches and was eliminated. I was so bummed out(and constipated) from losing so terribly against BadNewsBear, Lee Martin, and Arcadia, that when I got home, I had a hard time sleeping. I spent the next few weeks away from Brawl and nearly gave up on the game. However, my competitive spirit kept me going. That spirit keeps me going to this day. No matter how much I try to quit the game, I still stick to it. I know that I have something unaccomplished, but I needed to figure out what.

Now in late 2009 to early 2010, Louisiana experienced a rebuilding phase. LAST 4 wasn't nearly as successful as its predecessor. That signaled our last impressive regional showings(NOM tried). Throughout 2010, Louisiana had its peaks and valleys tournament wise. Curlz did a decent job in getting new members in Lafayette interested, but something was still lacking. I tried my hand at hosting, but due to a few circumstances(venue pushing back the date on late notice & not enough resources to promote the tournament) I couldn't get a decent amount of people. The tournament, Spring Smash, made have led many to believe that I was inadequate in hosting tournaments. Spring Smash left a giant impression in my mind and I still haven't forgotten the affects from it. All I could do was move on.

Throughout the rest of 2010, a sour taste was growing in my mouth. I saw many things that I disagreed with tournament organization wise. My disdain came to full realization the first tournament "we" had at UL. Curlz wanted to abuse his power and try to put me in a ****ty spot. The next few weeks, TASOL completely failed for actual reasons that I won't mention on here. I was fine with failure, but I got pissed off even more at the events that happened at Game Over 1. After that tournament, I knew that I wanted to actually venture into being a TO again.

I want Louisiana to be better attendance-wise in Brawl AND Melee come 2011. We have enough TOs to raise the average(20s?) by at least 10-20 people. I would like for the community to come together and get that average up. Once we do that, I think we'll be in good shape to successfully host a tournament that involves people from other states.

To get 2011 kicked off, Curlz will be hosting a locals-only(the tournament was originally scheduled for the 15th, but Curlz wants to go to Oh Snap) the day before my tournament on the 22nd. Now, you may know of what Curlz is capable of(you better not steal my venues ho =]), but I want to assure you guys that I will do my best not to screwed up CSM 1. I'm starting to advertise at different stores and will advertise on campus with a few people I know the next few weeks. I also was able to get the owner of Electronic Gaming Lounge on board with helping the community.

Since Lafayette has two TOs, and to avoid competition, I hope that Curlz will be open to discuss tournaments and not try to be the alpha-male. We both have two venues that we can work with and I would like to not actually compete over who hosts at which venue. I have UL and EGL and he has PNT and GO. If Curlz tries to take over one of my venues, then I will fight to every tooth and nail to get it back. We should both be mature adults, unlike what we have been in the past. Working against each other will be ultimately counterproductive in hosting a successful regional.

My pledge as a TO is to make the tournament experience enjoyable for all skill ranges. I want both communities to thrive, so I will be open to discussion to make my tournaments better. For the Brawl side, I want to prepare you guys under the Unified Rules to be ready for WHOBO and other nationals. We already have Lee Martin as a threat nationally. I would love to see Hyro and JNig and others become as great as possible. For the Melee side, I don't know what the history is for this game in the state. I'll admit that I'm pretty much clueless with the game lol. I would love to know what I can do to help the attendance grow in the community. I've talked to Ken about getting hype for CSM 1, but I should have ventured further that getting hype. Please let me know what I can do as a TO to make it better.

Overall, as a community, we have the potential to flourish. We need to come together and make 2011 one of the best years in recent memory for Louisiana Smash.

Please don't be cynical or pessimistic. Those attitudes have no place in this community.

ChKn

Smash Ace
lol Sudai. We worked out our differences somewhat. I just wanted to get **** up and hopefully get some beast attendances in this year.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Wow, Flounda goin in. I can dig it. Seeing you this hype may have convinced me to go to your tourney instead of the one in Alabama...

We need to not only find ways to get a lot of new people, but also find ways to keep them playing. Pools helps a little, but with the one actually good person in their pool, they can still see how far behind they are.

Ran's novice brackets were a good start, but then it was taken for granted, since it was free or $1 or whatever. The new guys were like "yay novice bracket" and left.

A place like Dibbz always helps, and getting them to see this site 9 times out of 10 will convince them that there's a much bigger community than they thought. Make sure to invite these new people to hangouts/practice sessions so that they feel welcomed by the local community and they won't feel completely out of the loop when the next tourney arrives.

The one thing that concerns me and I want to see changed is the lack of someone stepping it up. I haven't seen an upset or someone rising in the ranks in quite some time. All I see is older players quitting so the people under them move up. If I can do it, what can't you?

Yea, and if anyone were to ever take someone else's venue, they deserve a swift and righteous kick to the nuts.

EDIT: Oh and Flounda, I hope your hype lasts beyond your huge post, because one-post-hype tends to happen often.

eet

Smash Ace
If we really want more people in our community we could just stop being douchebags to everyone who is new and try and earnestly teach them the greater, deeper aspects of competitive smash. But, like ... nah. It's funnier to just play random, cause new people always come in with a mindset of being the **** but they are terrible. Or they get ***** so hard they never want to come back to us again.

I think, overall, most people just don't want to have to work at a game to be good at it, they just want to do it for fun. So I say start by making the tournaments more fun and player-focused and less super serious brawl 1v1 no friendlies(not that this ever happens outside a randall tourny) and you will get new players -- but you'll have to make changes.

Another option is to just keep everything the same, and advertise the **** out of your tournies all over town and online (facebook too good for this ****) until 40 random people show up, all noobs, and get *****. Then maybe 1-3 of them will stick to the community lol.

Jnig, try to move up the melee ranks. I bet you guys anyone in the melee pr can beat the number 10 in brawl at least one match in a 3/5.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I have an idea for amateur brackets. If we charge a dollar plus venue fee for the AB, we can put the dollar fee into the pot. Most likely, the top 2 will be guaranteed free entry into the bracket. After 2nd place, it'll be dependent on how many people actually enter. I'll try that idea out for The Smash Lounge 1 after I talk to the owner about it. Would starting earlier affect the amount of entrants? I wanted to start in the afternoon to avoid work problems.

Another thing that can be stopped is showing up late to a tourney. I almost always see that in tournaments and it hold it up to an extent. With CSM 1, there will be some IEEE people and I'm trying to get other places to check it out. I want them to view us as a professional community.

I've never beaten a Melee player in Brawl, but I know why now and I've made the corrections.

@JNig: If the hype dies down, make a wake-up call. Lafayette is doing the best job possible to get the amount of tournament to go up. I'll try to make my parents think that I'm responsible enough to go OoT, but some issues are preventing me atm(Dad finally got a job lol).

Top Bottom