• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lord of Calamity: Velvet Crowe for Smash

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Many people consider a Tales of character as DLC likely. Most think it's between Lloyd and Yuri. I would argue that there is a third potential candidate- Velvet Crowe.

1549482583258.png

Velvet is the main character of Tales of Beseria, which happens to be the most recent Tales of game. Currently it is not on switch, but with Vesperia coming, maybe Beseria is next.

Velvet used to be an average villager, until one day her brother in law sacrificed her little brother and turned her into a demon. That night, the world was ravaged by monsters, and Velvet was locked in a dungeon. Years later, she escapes to get revenge on her brother in law, who is now the leader of the world. She functions as a sort of anti hero, committing villainous acts as well as heroic ones. She becomes known to the world as the lord of calamity. With her group of outcasts, she takes on the world to defeat her enemy.

Why Velvet? There are a couple of reasons she could be chosen. First off, there was a recent leak that featured her as a newcomer.
I will add the image when I find it. It featured art of Velvet and Corrin facing off.

Found it. Courtesy of user Ayumi Tachibana, who translated it from 5chan. Found by Flyboy.

1549482287447.png
There was no evidence supporting it, so it was thrown out. However, something new has come out.
Twitter Post
Velvet Crowe's voice actor tweeted out that she is "about to start work on one of the biggest games ever".
It's likely nothing. Even if it is something, she is also the VA for Shantae and Edelgard. Despite this, it's enough to make me start a thread for my favorite Tales protagonist.

Update: The voice actor thing was fortnight. However Velvet has apparently become the subject of leaks on the Japan side.

As for why she would be chosen over Lloyd or Yuri, Sakurai has said he wants variety in newcomers. If he is going with Erdrick, perhaps he wanted a Tales character that didn't use a sword. Beseria is the newest one and Velvet is probably the most unique Tales protagonist, so it could be possible.

It may be a long shot, but it's not as much of a long shot as Joker was.

As for moveset, Velvet has quite a number of options. Her main weapons are four hidden blades. These little knives pop out of her sleeves and shoes when she attacks, making for a martial arts style that incorporates slicing attacks. She can also imbue her attacks with elemental attributes, such as water, wind, fire, and earth. She can creat fiery explosions, make blades of ice, split the ground, and throw tornados of wind.

What makes her even more unique as a fighter is her demon claw. When she hits an enemy with it, she becomes therionized. While therionized, she is much stronger and cannot go below 1 HP. The downside is that she constantly loses HP and cannot be healed while in this state. It's a double edged sword. Depending on the type of enemy she hit with her claw, she will have a different combo finisher when therionized. These are a variety of big attacks, from big sweeping claw swipe to a barrage of magical daggers, to slicing winds.

As for the final smash, Velvet has access to a number of mystic artes, which function as super moves in the game. Her best one, impulse desire, would probably function as the final smash.

Here is some gameplay that shows how she fights.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh hell yeah. My favorite Tales protagonist in a Smash context easily. Amazing moveset potential, killer design, great game. I want a Berseria port first, though! I gotta say Lloyd has the Nintendo history which is why I support him for the rep (and Yuri...doesn't excite me, to say the least) so I'd at least want Velvet to appear on Nintendo.

But like, she's much like Joker in that I see her as being totally cool and unique and specifically suited for Smash in style and energy. Also she's cool as hell and Berseria rules. Big time support.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Oh hell yeah. My favorite Tales protagonist in a Smash context easily. Amazing moveset potential, killer design, great game. I want a Berseria port first, though! I gotta say Lloyd has the Nintendo history which is why I support him for the rep (and Yuri...doesn't excite me, to say the least) so I'd at least want Velvet to appear on Nintendo.

But like, she's much like Joker in that I see her as being totally cool and unique and specifically suited for Smash in style and energy. Also she's cool as hell and Berseria rules. Big time support.
Welcome aboard! Do you know where I can find that Velvet leak? I want to post it here but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Welcome aboard! Do you know where I can find that Velvet leak? I want to post it here but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
I gotchu!
eQvbYPa.jpg

Originally posted by Ayumi Tachibana, who translates 5ch posts and fake Japanese leaks in the Square thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/spo...support-threads.464600/page-233#post-22946395

They later explain this was posted in a Smash thread with a message along the lines of someone posting it because they're angry. Likely fake but a cool piece of art nonetheless!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am a huge tales fan, been so for years(though i havent been able to finish the last few games due to rl :( ) I was expecting lloyd or Yuri, but Velvet would be a cool unique pick. Not being a sword user instead a brutal/feral brawler would be unique. Think wolf but more fluid.

So japanese leakers are using her a lot huh? And that last one, not bad picks i can see a RE pick, Jill i would prefer, and Nakoruru is interesting. Never thought much of an SNK pick. But she seems to be a popular one, alone with Terry, Mai, and Athena. Any one of those i could see happening... though Mai may be too.... lewd for smash?

Sign me up as a supporter

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Velvet looks awesome! I would definitely like to support.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Might as well revive this since that book with info about Ultimate's development has that tidbit about the Bayonetta and the ballot and the characters above her, and it aligning with the 5ch ballot rumor which also had Velvet as one of the supposed DLC fighters.

That said though. Hoping Lloyd, Yuri or Velvet make it in.

Titania would obviously be her stage. And correct me if I'm wrong but we don't have a prison type stage in Smash yet right?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Might as well revive this since that book with info about Ultimate's development has that tidbit about the Bayonetta and the ballot and the characters above her, and it aligning with the 5ch ballot rumor which also had Velvet as one of the supposed DLC fighters.

Titania would obviously be her stage. And correct me if I'm wrong but we don't have a prison type stage in Smash yet right?
I mean, the closest is Mementos though that's more metaphorical than anything.

It'd be really cool if she was added and we got cameos from Eizen and Magilou and the gang. Or at least Spirit battles.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I would love a Tales of Character, and Velvet would be great. I see lloyd happening more for the world wide appeal(NA loves him), but I think she had a very cool character arc and story. Plus we don't have many feral fighters. Wolf is the closest and hes a semi clone

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Wait what's this? How did the new info corroborate the leak?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Only part of the ballot rumor right now.

Sakura said this quote about Bayonetta.

Beyonetta was the first pick among realisable characters. Above her, there were old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected. (p63)
And in the Ballot part of the latest 5ch rumor line up this was the supposed results.

Overall, Inkling, Snake Ice Climbers were the top 3.
Then the other fired characters followed, but Sora, K.Rool, Phoenix Wright, Bomberman, Chrom, Beyonetta, and Ridley came in there.
And Pokemon, FF, DQ were strong enough to get in there too if you add up all the related characters.

The top ranking was almost fixed from the start, the other votes were scattered everywhere only some like popular internet characters stood out.
The others on the note;
Fire Emblem(total), Tales(total), Bandanna Waddle Dee, Monster Hunter, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Castlevania(total), Dixie, Megaman(total?), Magolor, Layton, Sonic(total?), Dante, Touhou(total?), Master Chief, Kid Icarus(total), Ashley, Crash Bandicoot, Fate characters, Waluigi, Street Fighter(total?), Minecraft, Fiora, Shovel Knight, Dry Bowser, Yokai Watch(total), Ryu Hayabusa, Rhythm Heaven, Banjo, Okami, Krystal, Impa, Resident Evil(total), Rayman, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Daisy, Kat, Mother Series(total), Puyopuyo, Midna, Oliver, Geno, Mai Shiranui, Takamaru, Neku Sakuraba, Wonder Red, Starfy, Metroid(total), Petey Piranha, Tekken, Skull Kid, Custom Robo, Spyro, Culdcept

I'm tired...
They aren't on the memo, but I also heard Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon's total were incredible, and there were bunch of anime characters and Marvel/DC heroes.
Darth Vader and Harry Potter got quite a lot too apparently.
In this rumor(posted in March). All of the cut veterans were higher than Bayonetta and Sakurai himself mentions the likes of Goku and Iron Man not getting in at all.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I've been meaning to try a Tales game at some point, so I finally settled on (and purchased) Berseria. Just because of this thread. I suppose it's still early as I still need to play through it, but I'd like to say support. Velvet has me interested based on her design alone (along with what's been mentioned here so far.)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've been meaning to try a Tales game at some point, so I finally settled on (and purchased) Berseria. Just because of this thread. I suppose it's still early as I still need to play through it, but I'd like to say support. Velvet has me interested based on her design alone (along with what's been mentioned here so far.)
Enjoy! It's one of the best.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Beseria is my favorite tales game by far. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. Welcome to the thread!

D

Deleted member

I'll admit I have played Berseria a little, but I came up with Berseria characters as Spirits for fun
Laphicet-:ultlucas:(Cyan)
Rokurou-:ultdarkpit:(White)
Magilou-:ultrobinf:(Pink)
Eizen-:ultken:(Grey)
Eleanor-:ultdaisy:(Blue)

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
This is the Tales character I would be the most excited about by far. Consider me a supporter.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So you know that rumor of the next character being a "Fighting Game Female"? Well according to some people, the actual translation from that poster is "Female who fights like a Fighting Game character". So Velvet Crowe might be that character if the rumor is true as it definitely applies to her a lot especially if she has arte chain gimmick along with her Break Soul.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So you know that rumor of the next character being a "Fighting Game Female"? Well according to some people, the actual translation from that poster is "Female who fights like a Fighting Game character". So Velvet Crowe might be that character if the rumor is true as it definitely applies to her a lot especially if she has arte chain gimmick along with her Break Soul.
I Don't mean to be that guy, but i think it's just a Female that looks like a Fighting game character. Now Velvet does fit that bill anyway so whatever

Also put me down as Supporter i guess. She looks cool enough, even if i don't really now anything about her

zferolie

Smash Hero
I mean, i keep hearing this rumor, but is there any credibility to it at all? I mean, guessing DQ rep and Banjo days before the direct is kinda easy...

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean, i keep hearing this rumor, but is there any credibility to it at all? I mean, guessing DQ rep and Banjo days before the direct is kinda easy...
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1073789370606354432

https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1139825526636343296

Guy Apparently guess DQ Hero back in December. He also guess no Female Alts for it. He also apparently got the Labo VR thing correct as well. he says his friend told him about DQ Hero. Also that there is female that looks like Fighting game character

zferolie

Smash Hero
https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1073789370606354432

https://twitter.com/niconico_test_1/status/1139825526636343296

Guy Apparently guess DQ Hero back in December. He also guess no Female Alts for it. He also apparently got the Labo VR thing correct as well. he says his friend told him about DQ Hero. Also that there is female that looks like Fighting game character
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on it, but honestly, female fighter could just mean a female character for this game(hence becoming a female fighter)

Hope its true, as there are a bunch of cool and deserving female game characters belonging in smash

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I'm all in for Velvet. Some people think that if we get a Tales rep it absolutely has to be either Lloyd or Yuri, but I think that Velvet could make for a strong third option being more unique and perhaps Namco is planning to do a Tales of Berseria port or special edition for the Switch down the line. Sign me up as a supporter!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm all in for Velvet. Some people think that if we get a Tales rep it absolutely has to be either Lloyd or Yuri, but I think that Velvet could make for a strong third option being more unique and perhaps Namco is planning to do a Tales of Berseria port or special edition for the Switch down the line. Sign me up as a supporter!
You get it!

As much as I love Lloyd I really think Velvet has the uniqueness factor and it helps that Berseria was both critically and commercially successful. If nothing else, I'd love a Switch port. I have it on PS4 but y'know, I like portable stuff.

KatKit

Smash Lord
She's from my favorite Tales game and she's my favorite protagonist of the series, so I support bonus points that she'd be the closet thing to Ragna in Smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Bad news guys, seems like the leaker was trolling

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Bad news guys, seems like the leaker was trolling

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Well, they said the same thing earlier. They don't know who it is, just that their source told them it's a female character with a fighting style. The trolling tweet was the "censored" one.

Hell for all we know it's Tifa.

I mean it's all probably super fake but at least Velvet is on people's lips now.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like Velvet is a serious contender. Tales is probably the most likely series to get a character in the pass at this point. The way I see it, it's between Lloyd, Yuri, and Velvet. One of these three will be in. I'd bet money on it. And with a swordie already in, Velvets chances are much higher now than they were.

D

Deleted member

I'm certain I'm asking an obvious question but is it possible that Velvet's design would get censored?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm certain I'm asking an obvious question but is it possible that Velvet's design would get censored?
I think it's somewhat possible but I also don't think she shows more skin than, say, Bayonetta doing a special. Apparently the big issue with CERO has to do with upskirts, which we don't have to worry about with Velvet but at the same time just make her outfit less tattered and she'd be fine.

StormC

Smash Hero
Probably, but only mildly.

I think this is a really good mockup done by DevaAshera DevaAshera . This would be about Zamus alternate costume level skin showing.

Top Bottom