• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Living Courage of Magicant: Flying Man for Smash Switch

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Who is this Flying Man you speak of?

The Flying Man are one of the many strange inhabitants that live in the fluffy, colorful realm known as Magicant. Magicant itself isn't just any world, but one that is of the subconscious of the Mother protagonists (Ninten and Ness). These guys would normally aide the players as their "embodiments of courage" and fight fight the more higher level monsters like the Grouchos. If you were careful enough as to let them get defeated in battle, they would die a permanent death with their own personal grave near the house. In both games respectively, there were a totally of five Flying Men to use at your disposal if you lack the courage to fight the beasts of this Sugar Bowl alone.

Why should I care for that freaking bird thing?

While Mother was the game to introduce the Flying Men and Magicant, Earthbound also featured both and it's considered one of the more memorable games in the Mother saga. These guys are what made Magicant such a memorable place because you can have a badass bird fighter on your side to fight the strangest creatures in your dream world like colorful bears and creepy living trees. Not only that, but they even had their own vocal song in the original Mother remixed soundtrack with its own visuals. Did I forget to mention that these guys are arguably what made the Magicant stage for (in)famous in Super Smash Bros. 3D and Smash Tour to a lesser extent?

What is this unique potential that these bird brains can have?

These guys would have a weird and original moveset to suit his "world of origin" using things that you would normally see in Magicant (Like using flight through the means of balloons or other strange moves). If Smash is anything to go by, they can easily fulfill the role of being an agile character with heavy hitting attacks and the best aerial game ever. Whether it's the Flying Cross Chop or Somersault Kick, this is one Badass Bird of Prey that you don't want to mess with.

Flying Man's Miraculous Moveset

*coming soon*

Magicant's Courageous Dreamers
Yomi's Biggest Fan
TheSquishiestManatee

Kirbeh
Freduardo
Guybrush20X6
RetroGamersGuru

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh this is going to be good. As if the bloody things weren't frightening enough as stage hazards.

I would like to see what ideas you would give first before I support. But they wouldn't be too bad, though I'd prefer Hawlucha.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'll support luchador bird man, provided he's top tier of course. If he isn't Brawl Meta Knight broken then his character will have suffered a great injustice.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Added. Now that we have real activity here, I might get started on the Flying Man moveset. But after I take care of some personal business first.

I'll support luchador bird man, provided he's top tier of course. If he isn't Brawl Meta Knight broken then his character will have suffered a great injustice.
Right, Flying Man for top tier! :troll:

But seriously, I see him as a good air fighter with many great strengths and combo capability. At least going off Smash. But I may think about making them frail to go with their killable nature. Maybe have the gravestone appear in their losing animation.

Never played mother but after seeing these guys in smash i'd be totally down. They seem pretty goofy lol.
They represent your courage. I'm sure they were meant to be goofy and strong in order to protect your dreams.

Anyways, good to have you here.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like the Mii Fighter costume but unfortunately I don't think Flying Man will get promoted to playable character. I just want Magicant stage to come back in SSB5 or even SSB4 Switch.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
For me, nostalgia... and he was useful in magicant on smash 3ds.

For saving development time while giving me nostalgia, the second reason.
Fair enough, I'd like to see how they would handle his grabbing animations.

And welcome to the list. Now you can join us in the kingdom of Magicant.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Fair enough, I'd like to see how they would handle his grabbing animations.

And welcome to the list. Now you can join us in the kingdom of Magicant.
Fairly easy. Cause sprite animation is.

Three frames.

Frame one: extend hand out to person your grabbing.

Frame two: change the yellow of the hand part of the sprite to a darker yellow. It will look like the fist is tightening.

Frame three: change the yellow back again.

(Add frame to return to battle position if you missed your grab.)

To be fair the downside of a 16 bit sprite character is the fact that when the game gets hacked, they will be the easiest psa's in the world to make. Poorly or well.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'll throw my hat in with a "Why not?"

Would make for an interesting Mother 1 rep. Oh, I'm sorry, Earthbound Beginnings rep.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I don't understand this. Why vote for a non-character like Flying Man when you could vote for a fresh newcomer who's actually a main protagonist from the series? Why not Paula, Poo, Flint or Kumatora? All of those have way more potential than an NPC who only has two moves.

I'd be stoked for Kumatora.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't understand this. Why vote for a non-character like Flying Man when you could vote for a fresh newcomer who's actually a main protagonist from the series? Why not Paula, Poo, Flint or Kumatora? All of those have way more potential than an NPC who only has two moves.

Because luchador birdman is best birdman.

That aside I'm with you on Kumatora, she's the Mother rep I'd prefer if we ever got another. I'm surprised she doesn't have a support thread yet.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Characters speculation isn't about "why?", it's about "why not?" I bet everyone here would also love to see Ninten, Jeff, Poo, Kumatora or The Maksed Man be playable as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I don't know, I've grown to take a liking to these bird guys for a while (cheap deaths on the Magicant stage aside). You can't help but to get attached to them once they actually do die in battle despite few in existence. A semi-buff bird man that that fly around and wreck **** has enough appeal on his own. A non-PSI user would be unique, though Porky and Duster are also big contenders. And if they can't make it, we can have Hawlucha.

Besides, he would need Mother 3 in the West before Kumatora is a safe inclusion (Come on @Zebei, you know you want to make one). I'm fine with literally any Mother character in the series (Porky, Poo, Kuma, etc) and I can acknowledge that these brave birds are far more minor in comparison (hence no Magicant or Flying Men in Mother 3).

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Not to discredit them as playable character but I think these guys make the perfect Assist Trophy. In the Mother series they are the embodiment of courage of Ness and Ninten. They ASSIST him in his adventures in Magicant. So when you summon a Flying Man as an AT its basically your character's courage being personified to help you.

Now I also loved the Mii outfit they had but I wish the hat covered the whole head and not look like a Mii wearing a Flying Man suit.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
These guys are good as deconfirmed, but anyone can feel free to own this if they want.

Due to my departure from Smash speculation as a whole.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
These guys are good as deconfirmed, but anyone can feel free to own this if they want.

Due to my departure from Smash speculation as a whole.
They’re pretty much deconfirmed.

But why depart from smash speculation? You’re fun to have around. Hell, you even were around on the social threads between 4 DLC and the announcement of Ultimate.

I understand if it’s personal.

Top Bottom