• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Speaking of which, what do you guys think will be the reaction from the big smash/Nintendo personalities if Ashley gets revealed? I'm expecting a lot of "who the hell is this?", but hopefully they like her anyway.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Speaking of which, what do you guys think will be the reaction from the big smash/Nintendo personalities if Ashley gets revealed? I'm expecting a lot of "who the hell is this?", but hopefully they like her anyway.
Etika will flip his **** and break his shelf regardless of who it is. XD

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Etika will flip his **** and break his shelf regardless of who it is. XD
He'd have to one-up himself. He can't just keep breaking his shelf. Maybe punch a hole through his wall next. With the amount of money he receives through donations, I'm sure Etika's community will cover the costs.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I suspect it'd be similar to the Japanese fandom's reaction to Little Mac: https://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

tl;dr I expect to see a lot of "who is this?", "why her and not [insert fan-favorite here]?" and "oh i kinda recognize her, neat".

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Ashley reveal for Mario Tennis Aces and Smash Bros!
You know, Ashley being in Aces would be a very big motivator for me to come back to the Mario Tennis games. I have been considering it with the good things I've heard about Aces.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
A few days ago there was talk about Ko retweeting Ashley stuff and then deleting ithe retweets soon after.

I hadn't seen any of these, but a few minutes ago I saw he retweeted this 9-Volt request:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A few days ago there was talk about Ko retweeting Ashley stuff and then deleting ithe retweets soon after.

I hadn't seen any of these, but a few minutes ago I saw he retweeted this 9-Volt request:

The problem with that theory is that we already have a bunch of ACTUAL NES representatives representing Nintendo's history, including Game & Watch. 9-Volt's raison d'etre is kind of redundant in Smash at this point.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Er, I just noticed Ko has a habit of RTing and then undoing that in general, it's not specific to Ashley at all. Oops. :x

Iustinus Tempus

Smash Rookie

Did he deleted the retweet? Also, I took noticed that this image is still in his likes, are any of the Ashley retweets that he also deleted in his likes as well?

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I still don't think it's for any NDA reason. If it was then why would he do it repeatedly?

Last edited:

Tony Duck

Smash Rookie
If you take at as meaning a non NDA reason, it could also be confirmation that she isn’t in the game, sadly.

Having said that, I feel even if she was in the game as just an assist trophy, that’s still something worth of having a NDA over

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The problem with that theory is that we already have a bunch of ACTUAL NES representatives representing Nintendo's history, including Game & Watch. 9-Volt's raison d'etre is kind of redundant in Smash at this point.
There's a newcomer in every smash game that represents Nintendo's history, but different parts of their history. G&W, Duck Hunt, ROB, each represent something unique to Nintendo's past, but the point is there's always somebody in Smash that's there to showcase something historically significant. 9-Volt would represent the pre-video game era of Nintendo, with all of his old doodads and gadgets from back then, none of which are currently represented with anything in Smash so far. That's what would give 9-Volt the edge, if he's used in such a way.

Sorry to butt in on the Ashley thread, just wanted to give my two cents since my 9-Volt tweet was posted here. And I would love to see Ashley too, I just don't think she would carry as much potential or historical weight as 9-Volt would, just because he would bring along more historical importance than her.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's a newcomer in every smash game that represents Nintendo's history, but different parts of their history. G&W, Duck Hunt, ROB, each represent something unique to Nintendo's past, but the point is there's always somebody in Smash that's there to showcase something historically significant. 9-Volt would represent the pre-video game era of Nintendo, with all of his old doodads and gadgets from back then, none of which are currently represented with anything in Smash so far. That's what would give 9-Volt the edge, if he's used in such a way.

Sorry to butt in on the Ashley thread, just wanted to give my two cents since my 9-Volt tweet was posted here. And I would love to see Ashley too, I just don't think she would carry as much potential or historical weight as 9-Volt would, just because he would bring along more historical importance than her.
If the most unique thing about 9-Volt you can think of is stuff that could easily be handled with items...

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If the most unique thing about 9-Volt you can think of is stuff that could easily be handled with items...
People said the same thing about ROB and Duck Hunt too (Especially Duck Hunt), but when something is that important to Nintendo's history, it's worth giving the highest honor, which is playable character. The pre-video game era of Nintendo, I believe, is worthy of that highest honor. As a collective, everything old-school Nintendo (pretty much their first 100 years) as one character, and 9-Volt being the vehicle to represent it? It's just perfect in my mind.

Ashley doesn't really represent anything other than popularity... She's cool, for sure, but she's not even that important of a character in the Wario Ware series, when you look at it.

But, she is really cool. And I'd love to see her anyway. If only we could get more than one character from the Wario Ware series... And then a Rhythm Heaven character on top of that, heh. Ko Takeuchi really has created a lot of memorable Nintendo characters, and getting only one from him would be a shame.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?

Alright for real though that doesn't give 9-Volt any advantage over Ashley at all.

Exactly stole the words right out of my mouth.

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to butt in on the Ashley thread, just wanted to give my two cents since my 9-Volt tweet was posted here.
I hope I didn't bother you or anything! I shared the tweet here because I thought the significance of Ko retweeting it would be a good topic of discussion, especially since I had seen other people say he retweeted Ashley stuff before.

It just seems Ko really wants to see one of his characters in Smash, which isn't that surprising in the least.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It's the old Smash debate of Importance vs. Popularity. And with Smash Ultimate and the ballot, popularity may just finally have its chance. Because so far in the series, importance has won out. 9-Volt would represent something historically important to Nintendo, like G&W, ROB, and Duck Hunt have before him, Ashley simply represents a popular character. But that may be all we need this time to get Ashley in.

And it really was awesome seeing Ko retweet it! He's very enthusiastic about his characters in Smash, and the way he deletes his Ashley retweets so quickly is humorously suspicious... As if she may just be included!

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Keep dreaming bud
There's no need to be rude... Everyone has preferences. I personally would love to see 9-volt as well, its just unlikely. I think WarioWare would only get one new character if any, and it would have to be Ashley since she seems to be Japan's equivalent to Little Mac in terms of requests.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Are you saying that those gadgets and toys aren't historically important?.... 9-Volt himself isn't, sure, but those things absolutely are. And the Smash series has thus far, valued historical importance in every game so far. And doing so with actual playable characters.

That's really the main point of my 9-Volt art, I don't even think he'd fight Ashley for a spot. And if he does, forget him, just get someone else in as a vehicle for those pre-video game era Nintendo toys and gadgets. Those are the real star here. I don't think it's necessary to have to pick a fight with Ashley.

Luminario

Smash Lord
People said the same thing about ROB and Duck Hunt too (Especially Duck Hunt), but when something is that important to Nintendo's history, it's worth giving the highest honor, which is playable character. The pre-video game era of Nintendo, I believe, is worthy of that highest honor. As a collective, everything old-school Nintendo (pretty much their first 100 years) as one character, and 9-Volt being the vehicle to represent it? It's just perfect in my mind.

Ashley doesn't really represent anything other than popularity... She's cool, for sure, but she's not even that important of a character in the Wario Ware series, when you look at it.

But, she is really cool. And I'd love to see her anyway. If only we could get more than one character from the Wario Ware series... And then a Rhythm Heaven character on top of that, heh. Ko Takeuchi really has created a lot of memorable Nintendo characters, and getting only one from him would be a shame.
Firstly, don't knock Ashley like that. Wasn't even that good of an argument, she's just as important to Warioware as anyone else from the series as they're all pretty equal behind Wario.
That said, I do agree with you on 9-volt. He is the perfect candidate for a compilation character of all those forgotten or nonviable Retro series. I don't wanna see him in front of Ashley, but I think he'd be fantastic in the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's the old Smash debate of Importance vs. Popularity. And with Smash Ultimate and the ballot, popularity may just finally have its chance. Because so far in the series, importance has won out. 9-Volt would represent something historically important to Nintendo, like G&W, ROB, and Duck Hunt have before him, Ashley simply represents a popular character. But that may be all we need this time to get Ashley in.

And it really was awesome seeing Ko retweet it! He's very enthusiastic about his characters in Smash, and the way he deletes his Ashley retweets so quickly is humorously suspicious... As if she may just be included!
25m BARRELS INTO THE FRAY!!

See how silly that sounded? It doesn't matter if you're important or popular, if you can't credibly make a fun moveset out of it you become an assist, item, stage and/or trophy.

Limiting 9-Volt to just old Nintendo toys or peripherals would frankly be a disservice to a character who loves EVERYTHING about Nintendo, including games new & old.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
So you cherry picked a minor important aspect of Nintendo history that's already represented in Smash... Yeah, dude, not the same thing. My example is of an entire era of Nintendo that is currently not represented in Smash, the pre-video game era. And it could very well be represented as a collective for one playable character. 9-Volt could be the vehicle for it, or somebody else entirely, my point was that the pre-video game era of Nintendo is important enough to earn representation as a character in Smash.

It's like the old argument that Duck Hunt could've just been an AT or ROB could've just been a Subspace enemy. But I'd argue when something is as important to history as those things are, they do indeed deserve the highest honor. Perhaps that'd be doing a disservice to 9-Volt, just using him as a vehicle for the bigger and more important element, but I feel like 9-Volt wouldn't really be deserving to get in other than that.

Ashley is fine, she's mega popular, and I don't think this is a battle against her, so if that's the way you're taking it, stop, please. That's not my intention. Yeah, I had one remark that she's not very important in her own series, but then, nobody really is, they're all about equal. Her popularity should be more than enough to get her into Smash Bros.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So you cherry picked a minor important aspect of Nintendo history that's already represented in Smash... Yeah, dude, not the same thing. My example is of an entire era of Nintendo that is currently not represented in Smash, the pre-video game era. And it could very well be represented as a collective for one playable character. 9-Volt could be the vehicle for it, or somebody else entirely, my point was that the pre-video game era of Nintendo is important enough to earn representation as a character in Smash.

It's like the old argument that Duck Hunt could've just been an AT or ROB could've just been a Subspace enemy. But I'd argue when something is as important to history as those things are, they do indeed deserve the highest honor. Perhaps that'd be doing a disservice to 9-Volt, just using him as a vehicle for the bigger and more important element, but I feel like 9-Volt wouldn't really be deserving to get in other than that.

Ashley is fine, she's mega popular, and I don't think this is a battle against her, so if that's the way you're taking it, stop, please. That's not my intention. Yeah, I had one remark that she's not very important in her own series, but then, nobody really is, they're all about equal. Her popularity should be more than enough to get her into Smash Bros.
You made it seem as if because 25m is a stage and not a character, it's representation is insufficient. That is the point I'm trying to get across here.
But then you also siad you don't really care if it's 9-Volt representing the toys or not, so, uh, OK.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
About 9-Volt, I think that the problem with him lies in being a "old things that don't work as a fighter" character. There's exploitable things, such as the Ultra-Hand as a grab for sure. And using Nintendo things IS 9-Volt's own thing, so it's not out of character either. But my own concern is that it may become some sort of Nintendo "dump" without much theme, compared to Duck Hunt's "Zapper" theme. Or even Villager's recovery, as balloons are a important thing in Animal Crossing.

As you suggest, having only pre-video game items is an nice idea, I like it. But somehow, it would also make 9-Volt lacking the rest of Nintendo things and that would be a missed opportunity.

Personally I'd prefer to see things represented by themselves as much as possible (like the Color TV Game 15 being an assist trophy). This doesn't mean you can't represent things through characters of course, I'm a Zelda main and I still love that there's OoT spells and even ST Phantom in her moveset.

But that's why I personally prefer Ashley and Mona for Warioware reps, they may need some made up moves to have a full Smash moveset, but they can have their own references. Ashley through magic, Red, the game in Game & Wario, and Mona with her various jobs and her bike.

Edit: Somehow, I'd like to see a 9-Volt AT where he plays a NES and various sprites of playable characters appear, like the Advance Wars trophy.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I actually had my first Smash Ultimate related dream last night. Nothing in particular involving Ashley, though. It was like a bootleg Smash Ultimate and I was playing some sort of lame event mode. It was weird.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
What isn't already covered by playable characters (Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Pac Man) or Assist Trophies (Pong, Excitebiker, Sheriff) or Items (Galaga, Flipper, Freezie, Golden Hammer) or Stages (75m, Mario Bros., Duck Hunt) that 9-volt would cover? Why would 9-volt be the "logical" character to use to represent retro games when he, himself, is not a retro character? Why not just some random avatar that uses retro gaming as their attacks; the backlash would be far less and the player could project themselves unto the avatar and pretend it's them using the retro attacks. Even that makes more sense than 9-volt. And don't tell me a random avatar couldn't be the representative because Duck Hunt literally includes a guy in the "real world" shooting a Nintendo Zapper. Moreover, this theoretical character or 9-volt wouldn't even bring anything new to the table because we're already inundated with retro material as it is.

If it wasn't for the "only game characters" rule, even Captain N would represent retro gaming and Nintendo history far better than 9-volt could and he inherently carries importance as his own character. I'd think the development team would be more likely to break this cardinal rule than to include 9-volt. 9-volt, no disrespect, doesn't have the clout to carry the honor of representing retro gaming history. It's too important. It's more important than even him. Captain N would still be his own character if he used retro attacks because he has that clout. So when searching for a representative for this gimmick, you at least need a character that can stand on their own apart from their gimmick. No other character on the roster has this issue and we're up to 65 characters. That's A LOT of precedent.

Ashley and 9-volt face the same issues that ANY of the WarioWare characters face; they're both side characters from an (unpopular) spin-off series to a character which is, himself, a spin-off character (Wario). When examining any potential there, you need to search for the "breakout" character. There are characters that "arguably" are more important than Ashley (Mona, Jimmy T, etc.) but the fact is, they all face this problem. The only reason Ashley is viable is because she's popular apart from her series. She's cameo'd several times outside of her series, her (multiple) 3DS themes were top sellers, she's a top request in Japan. The fact is, without all of that, NONE of the WarioWare side characters are viable. 9-volt doesn't have the prominence outside of WarioWare that Ashley does. And Ashley's draw is... herself. People want her, not her gimmick. She has the clout. There would be massive fan backlash if 9-volt got in over her, especially in Japan. And WarioWare isn't important enough as a series to have 2 new characters. Especially not when All-Stars like Dixie Kong and K. Rool are still missing. Especially not with a limited number of newcomers.

It's either Ashley makes the cut on her own merits and own popularity or no one from WarioWare makes the cut.

Edit: Man, you guys are way too fast at responding. =P

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Ashley and 9-volt face the same issues that ANY of the WarioWare characters face; they're both side characters from an (unpopular) spin-off series to a character which is, himself, a spin-off character (Wario). When examining any potential there, you need to search for the "breakout" character. There are characters that "arguably" are more important than Ashley (Mona, Jimmy T, etc.) but the fact is, they all face this problem. The only reason Ashley is viable is because she's popular apart from her series. She's cameo'd several times outside of her series, her (multiple) 3DS themes were top sellers, she's a top request in Japan. The fact is, without all of that, NONE of the WarioWare side characters are viable. 9-volt doesn't have the prominence outside of WarioWare that Ashley does. And Ashley's draw is... herself. People want her, not her gimmick. She has the clout. There would be massive fan backlash if 9-volt got in over her, especially in Japan. And WarioWare isn't important enough as a series to have 2 new characters. Especially not when All-Stars like Dixie Kong and K. Rool are still missing. Especially not with a limited number of newcomers.

It's either Ashley makes the cut on her own merits and own popularity or no one from WarioWare makes the cut.
Couldn't had worded it better myself tbh. 10/10 post here, Jazzy.
Although I still think 9-volt would be a cool addition that Sakurai could make work regardless of likeness. (I would just prefer Ashley.)

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
You made it seem as if because 25m is a stage and not a character, it's representation is insufficient. That is the point I'm trying to get across here.
But then you also siad you don't really care if it's 9-Volt representing the toys or not, so, uh, OK.
No, you misunderstood me then. 25m is part of the DK franchise, a franchise that yes, is historically important enough for a character... and guess what, it has a character! Two even! Elements within that franchise can then be used for so many things throughout the series, like stages, items, and ATs (well, we aren't getting too many of those for DK... but we could, haha) And usually it's the important elements that are plucked from those franchises that are used for things like stages. That's exactly what 25m is.

As for pre-video game era Nintendo, there's nothing. Nadda, zip, zilch. There's no Ultra Hand item, no love tester stage, no Ten Billion Barrel assist trophy. There's nothing. And that's why I suggested that all of it combined, would be important enough to be represented as a character. They could easily pick apart those toys and doodads for things like items and such, but so far they haven't. It's like how Mr. Game & Watch is a collective character, used to represent a decade worth of every Game & Watch game. That's what this idea for a pre-video game era character would be, an amalgamation. 9-Volt would be a great vehicle for it, but also, I understand the argument that it would undermine his potential as well, and also that it would then pit him against Ashley, or that he'd bring in too much of modern Nintendo as well as the Wario series along with him. All great points. But I still believe he as a mega Nintendo fanboy, and one that already showcases pre-video game Nintendo in his own games, would be a good candidate for them.

And for the retro pre-video game rep to use the 'W' series logo would also undermine the pre-video game era content as well. I totally get that. But I still feel that it's worth representing, it's just difficult to conjure up a character that can be used as a vehicle for them as well as 9-Volt.

and I agree, nobody from the Wario Ware series is deserving enough on their own, aside from Ashley due to her mega popularity. Even though she as a character is on equal footing to every single side character in the WW series, it's not like we haven't had that situation before in Smash Bros.. Just look at Falco, he's on equal footing to Slippy and Peppy in terms of importance, but somehow he's still playable in the game over them. What Falco is to Fox, Ashley is to Wario. It can happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom