• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Remember; please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)

(And this is a general message, not to a specific person. I am not replying to anyone in particular)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I was a big believer in the Ridley Rumors, so I was fully expecting him. I got that and a confirmation of no cuts. It was great. Now that that 17 year desire is out of the way, I've finally put some effort into actively supporting more characters than Ridley. K. Rool is my most wanted at the moment, but Ashley is right behind him followed by Shantae and Vaati.
I'm a big Shantae supporter too!~

Keeping my expectations at ground zero for her though. If she does get in I'll lose my freaking mind.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
I like this fanart of Japanese and Western Ashley together:

Here is where I saw it (thanks to the recent Source Gaming video), and here is the source.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Given earlier conversations in this thread, we already know that some of us have dropped in on a few Japanese sites to spy and see if they're talking about Ashley. I wonder if any Japanese people drop by this site (or other Western sites) to see how the West feels about her? >_>

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I like this fanart of Japanese and Western Ashley together:

Here is where I saw it (thanks to the recent Source Gaming video), and here is the source.
Are they that different? I guess she's more of a tomboy in the west because she doesn't mention not brushing her hair in Japanese or casting spells on you. She only wanted one to make you laugh which is pretty sad.

I think both are neat as a weird duality of Ashley. And at the end of the day, they do the same actions in the games. I feel like this art depicts a more abrasive Ashley then we actually have. Still stunning art tho.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Are they that different? I guess she's more of a tomboy in the west because she doesn't mention not brushing her hair in Japanese or casting spells on you. She only wanted one to make you laugh which is pretty sad.

I think both are neat as a weird duality of Ashley. And at the end of the day, they do the same actions in the games. I feel like this art depicts a more abrasive Ashley then we actually have.
People keep saying they are pretty different, but I don't think they are that different.
At the core they are lonely and want friends. Western Ashley is a bit more edgy/sassy/twisted. Japanese Ashley is more shy/melancholic/quiet I think. Slightly different portrayals.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I'm willing to bet her Western incarnation is more of an appeal to the goth subculture. It seems like she's more tsun-/hikikomori in Japan.
I could see the goth archetype in her western song but she honestly appears more tsun in the west. "Maybe we could be friends, if you say no you're toast" sounds pretty tsundere to me.

People keep saying they are pretty different, but I don't think they are that different.
At the core they are lonely and want friends. Western Ashley is a bit more edgy/sassy/twisted. Japanese Ashley is more shy/melancholic/quiet I think. Slightly different portrayals.
I think West Ashley is all those things too plus what she is in the west, since her body language doesn't change from east to west, she retains a lot of those reserved traits. It's why I can't imagine our Ashley looking like a queen bee with her hands on her hips and bending on someone.

Maybe Warioware Gold will further this distinction more or try to merge the two. I don't know but I hope it's the latter.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I could see the goth archetype in her western song but she honestly appears more tsun in the west. "Maybe we could be friends, if you say no you're toast" sounds pretty tsundere to me.

I think West Ashley is all those things too plus what she is in the west, since her body language doesn't change from east to west, she retains a lot of those reserved traits. It's why I can't imagine our Ashley looking like a queen bee with her hands on her hips and bending on someone.

Maybe Warioware Gold will further this distinction more or try to merge the two. I don't know but I hope it's the latter.
That's kinda what I mean by they don't seem that different because the cutscenes are the same, just the flavor text changes.

I just think she is seen as having a resting ***** face/melancholic detachment and less like she is cold/sadistic in Japan.

Staarih

Smash Master
Having jumped to supporting Ashley, but never touched a WarioWare game, I went and downloaded the WarioWare Gold demo, and it's super entertaining (and addicting lol). Will definitely consider getting the full game once it comes out. WarioWare support = Ashley support, right? haha!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Day 5 is Kirby. It is day 5, right? Oh well. This is so much better than pencils and markers.

Um... Ashley Kirby isn't looking so hot. Maybe you should keep her out of your mouth, Kirby. You don't know where that thing has been.

Sidenote- I don't think people should get too hyped about the Japanese livestream of Smash Bros. It seems to be some sort of tournament like thing. That way y'all won't be too disappointed, and if one is revealed then it is a happy surprise. I am getting a bit hungry for more Smash content. Even a new assist or stage would be great.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh yeah Ashley is very neutral, but that doesn't stop Smash from switching up the personalities. They turned Wario into a frickin monster in Brawl for example. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to do the same for Ashley.
Wario is greedy in his games, he's greedy in SSE too. He just changes the target of his obsession since there seems to be no money in that universe.

What side Ashley ends up on will likely depend on who slights her first. She might not always have the best judgement on who to trust, but has proven to be quick to learn when they can't be.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Having jumped to supporting Ashley, but never touched a WarioWare game, I went and downloaded the WarioWare Gold demo, and it's super entertaining (and addicting lol). Will definitely consider getting the full game once it comes out. WarioWare support = Ashley support, right? haha!
Alright! Thanks for the support Staarih!

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Hey people.

Nice thread u have in here. U people are nice and the positive vibes are amazing :D

I heard about Ashley recently and decided to board the hype train! (Literally didn't know who she was till yesterday. I mean I saw her in smash 4 but forgot). But anyways im a fan now! Rooting fr ashely with fingers crossed

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Hey people.

Nice thread u have in here. U people are nice and the positive vibes are amazing :D

I heard about Ashley recently and decided to board the hype train! (Literally didn't know who she was till yesterday. I mean I saw her in smash 4 but forgot). But anyways im a fan now! Rooting fr ashely with fingers crossed
Yeah! With a name like Princess Ashley we know we've got a supporter! This Hype Train has no Brakes!

LancerJayden

Smash Rookie
Besides Ashley, I really hope geno and king k rool get in! I think they both have good chances since they've been highly requested characters! (I also want cooking mama to get in, but that's less likely.)

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That's kinda what I mean by they don't seem that different because the cutscenes are the same, just the flavor text changes.

I just think she is seen as having a resting ***** face/melancholic detachment and less like she is cold/sadistic in Japan.
Honestly, the difference only seems to come out in how they translate the theme song. Otherwise they're both quiet, reserved, easily angered, and a little ******. One of the Japanese WW sites has her tell the viewers she hates them, for instance.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Ashley between Japan and West are pretty a bit more different from each other when you think about it, for starters, In Japan, Ashley refers to herself in the third person. For example

"Ashley doesn't like the look of this." so that would be one more thing Japan Ashley has, she has done this several times over promotional material and in some of Game and Wario's drawing logs.

I have yet to see her do this in the west. Japanese Ashley also loves dressing up to make friends, though I believe in the west she did this because she was being paid to? I forgot, but there are a bit more differences to Japan and West Ashley, like we have our own Ashley!

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Japanese Ashley also loves dressing up to make friends, though I believe in the west she did this because she was being paid to?
I thought that Badge Arcade update was Japan-only and in it she was tricked into dressing up.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
So what iteration of Ashley do you guys want, and which one do you think is most likely,
I personally want Warioware touched ashley,
not really sure what iteration is most likely though.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I thought that Badge Arcade update was Japan-only and in it she was tricked into dressing up.
The Bunny wasn't lying to Ashley. The badge arcade did increase her notoriety and that's what he promised. And the Ashley story was Japan only. I think the west had a credits roll instead.

So what iteration of Ashley do you guys want, and which one do you think is most likely,
I prefer Ashley when she's taller and I think Game and Wario has the tallest version of her. Although if she's playable, they'll probably just tweak the assist trophy model and call it a day.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Personally I'm expecting something close to Game & Wario, maybe with red eyes, and added details, in a similar fashion to Wario (and everyone actually) with his belt or especially his jacket.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman

Anything but her gold design, please. I hope her design isn't going to stay like this, it's cute and has its own charms but I miss the old Ashley design. When she was taller and her hair was slicker. Ashley's gonna be in the game, playable or something else, I just hope they don't use her gold design. I don't want people associating that with Ashley.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Anything but her gold design, please. I hope her design isn't going to stay like this, it's cute and has its own charms but I miss the old Ashley design. When she was taller and her hair was slicker. Ashley's gonna be in the game, playable or something else, I just hope they don't use her gold design. I don't want people associating that with Ashley.
I agree, however I do like her new shoes.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I can see them touching up Ashley's AT model to be more ready for primetime. Taller, red eyes, more detail overall, that'd be perfect in my opinion.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I agree, however I do like her new shoes.
I especially miss her shoes, with the orange straps. I just think out of all the Ashley designs, Gold would be my least favorite. I actually had a sinking feeling in my heart when they showed off this new Ashley, I don't hate it, I just don't like it. And hope they return to the earlier designs, or improve on this design

1531251291863.png

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I especially miss her shoes, with the orange straps. I just think out of all the Ashley designs, Gold would be my least favorite. I actually had a sinking feeling in my heart when they showed off this new Ashley, I don't hate it, I just don't like it.
I personally miss her black stockings, they looked so nice with the red.

Last edited:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I personally miss her black stockings, they looked so nice with the red.
Same here, it added onto her design, now they are stripping her of what she was before by removing detail that made Ashley...Ashley! Her designs have been changing a lot during the years of 2015 - 2017, but I'd take those Badge Arcade designs over Gold's design anyday.

Sorry Ashley, but this look, it does not suit you.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
For me, I do prefer the Smooth Moves / D.I.Y. designs, but I just want Ashley in no matter what. Maybe she could have two different costumes like Wario does?

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
That would work perfectly! Her alts could work like Mario's, a few of her same dresses in different colors but then she gets her outfits from the Badge Arcade, there's so many it'll be hard to choose!

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
That would work perfectly! Her alts could work like Mario's, a few of her same dresses in different colors but then she gets her outfits from the Badge Arcade, there's so many it'll be hard to choose!
Her MM Link costume from the badge arcade would make me squeal with excitement.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Made this, feel free to use it!

I frickin love newcomer art that tries to look official! Thank you so much for this!
I especially miss her shoes, with the orange straps. I just think out of all the Ashley designs, Gold would be my least favorite. I actually had a sinking feeling in my heart when they showed off this new Ashley, I don't hate it, I just don't like it. And hope they return to the earlier designs, or improve on this design

View attachment 152427
Her old shoes looked great and I loved the simplicity to them. Simple yet stands out, that's like the classic Nintendo model for character design.

Last edited:

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Knowing Sakurai, we'll be able to choose from her various appearances since her design change is pretty major as the series went on. At the very least we'll be able to use a version with her original red-and-black eyes from Touched/Smooth Moves/D.I.Y.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Not sure why people keep saying they'll just touch up her assist and use that model for Smash. If they remade models for playable characters, then they won't be reusing/tweaking the assist. It has a really low poly count (block hands and awkward fabric folds.) I imagine it'd be like Little Mac from Brawl to Smash 4 (but less drastic because it won't be SD to HD and her design hasn't changed as drastically as Little Mac's.) They'll probably go with her Game & Wario design or a bit of a mix of designs since it was her last game prior to Smash Ultimate's project plan and to keep specific traits like give her red eyes.
Her taller build would be easier to animate and give nice strong/clear keyframes which are important to fighting games.

I also honestly think Red will be present in her moveset and maybe render if she makes the cut- He transforms between her Broom, Wand, Umbrella, etc.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Not sure why people keep saying they'll just touch up her assist and use that model for Smash. If they remade models for playable characters, then they won't be reusing/tweaking the assist. It has a really low poly count (block hands and awkward fabric folds.)
They even remade AT models, such as Waluigi who have actual fingers now.

Top Bottom