• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
This doesn't seem like a friendly way to start discussion. Just saying.
That was mostly me talking to myself, haha. Back then (my name was Zabadoo, so I've been here a while, and used to spend a lot of time on this thread), I had myself convinced that Ashley was happening. And yet, for all the stuff going for her, it just didn't happen. I guess it was meant as another way of me saying "I don't want to jump in with both feet and get everyone's hopes up, because last time, we got burnt". Nothing hostile meant by it.

As far as the Arms character goes, obviously I want it to be Spring Man. There are Arms characters I like more than Spring Man, but there aren't any Arms characters I like more than Ashley, and Spring Man would potentially open the flood gates. At the very least, a Spring Man confirmation would make me 100% believe Waluigi's down the pike, and while he's not Ashley, he's certainly a close second or third, haha. But my hopes in Ashley would certainly skyrocket.

Which do you think is more likely: a solo Spring Man confirmation, or a multi-character confirmation, similar to Hero? I know that Arms characters have more variety than Dragon Quest protagonists, but I think there are at least a few characters who could probably get away with sharing the same base model.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I agree that this thread needs to come back to life. Maybe we can't get it back to its former glory, but at least we can try, right? Especially now that things are looking brighter.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Regardless of what the actual outcome is, Nintendo has already put Spring Man on the table as a possibility. To me, that's more than enough to put hope in the announcement. I just really want a perfect roster. lol

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Regardless of what the actual outcome is, Nintendo has already put Spring Man on the table as a possibility. To me, that's more than enough to put hope in the announcement. I just really want a perfect roster. lol
That's a good point. The character could be Biff for all we know, but the fact that they positioned Spring Man as a possibility is exciting, in and within itself.

I know, for some people, Spring Man being "a possibility" for a few months won't be good enough to undo the fan-written gospel of the Rule of Assist Trophies, but for me, it's enough to get me pretty excited. As I said above, though, a flat-out Spring Man confirmation would effectively register in my brain as an indirect Waluigi confirmation, as well as sending Ashley back into the big leagues.

I gave up on a perfect roster a long time ago, because my idea of a perfect roster is pretty antithetical to Smash Ultimate's guest character-friendly nature and "Everyone is Here" mantra, but I always maintained that I wouldn't ask for anything else if Ridley, K. Rool, and Ashley all made the cut. Well, we got the first two, as well as Isabelle, Banjo-Kazooie, and a Fire Emblem Three Houses character, so if Ashley happens, I will be morally obligated to never complain about Smash again.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just really want a perfect roster. lol
A perfect roster is a different idea for everyone that wants it.

For me it's most of the characters we currently have plus:

Missing Nintendo All Stars:

Captain Toad/Toadette
Dixie Kong
Waluigi
Pig Ganon
Bandana Dee
Krystal
Paper Mario
Porky Minch
Ninten
Giygas (Mother 1)
Skull Kid
Impa
Elma
Rex & Pyra
Ashley
Mona
Captain Syrup
Medusa
Hades
Viridi
Wart
Tatanga

Missing 3rd Party icons:

Crash Bandicoot
Master Chief
Sora
Lara Croft
Kratos
Doom Slayer
Rayman
Spyro
Ezio Auditore
Sly Cooper
Ratchet & Clank
Jack & Daxter
Hehachi
Nightmare
Goemon
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Knuckles
Metal Sonic
Amy
Shadow
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Sephiroth

Ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect.

So many gaming icons still not yet in the roster that deserve to be in along with more additional reps for franchises underrepresented in the roster.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I could go on and on and on about what the perfect roster would look like to me. But, in short, part of it would be majorly reworking Wario to take more inspiration from Wario Land, and give the duty of repping Ware to Ashley. There are a few franchises that I think need major restructuring in Smash. Fire Emblem, Zelda, and Pokemon are the first to come to mind, but Wario is next on the list.

Last edited:

SniperGabe

Smash Cadet
So Min Min means that spirits no longer deconfirm and it sounded like Sakurai considered Spring Man (the assist trophy, so that means we still have a shot, a small shot, but it's still there)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My only takeaway is that Springman being an AT wasn't used against him not being selected. It sounds more like whoever the producer wanted was going to be who was added. Now, I don't think that makes AT promotions at all likely, but I do think if that was an obstacle for Springman, it would have been stated in the video.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Long time no see. I noticed something interesting/concerning... Remember those short character animations for Wario Ware Gold, such as Ashley trying out different costumes? It seems that the Japanese Nintendo youtube channel privated away those videos. Look at this post previously in this thread which mentioned the video:

It's gone now.

I have to wonder why Nintendo would do anything like that. At least the other Nintendo channels have mirrors of the videos so there is that. I already downloaded the Ashley one just in case, any one interested in the rest should archive them too.

thecursedside

Smash Rookie
Well, that's certainly peculiar. Perhaps they're preparing to release advertisements for a new WarioWare game for Switch. Unlikely, but I'll hope either way.

alexxxela

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7240-1590-9437
Hey everyone! I'm new here and I want to let everyone know I support! I have been stalking this thread for a while and decided to finally join :).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

alexxxela

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7240-1590-9437

smash puffle

Smash Ace
This is something I've been thinking for a very long time now (basically since I played WarioWare Gold when it first came out):
Screenshot_2020-12-28-22-20-53.png

Is it just me or does this model used in Pumpkin Panic looks like it could fit well in Smash? Or at least if you tweak and polish it a little bit... (it does give me Smash 4 vibes, specially if you increase the poly count.)
Maybe Intelligent Systems originally made this model to pitch it to Sakurai when Ultimate was in very early development or something... But they made it too late and after the roster was already decided. So they repurposed this model for this minigame because they didn't want all that work to go to waste.
I know this is some very tinfoil hat theory stuff but I just wanted to write my thoughts on this after so long. Sorry if anyone else has pointed this out before me.

Gold. She and Penny got the best design upgrades IMO. The biggest downgrades... Dribble and Spitz. poor, poor, Dribble and Spitz.
Honestly my least favorite design is Wario himself. I don't know, his look in that game kind of unsettles me.

alexxxela

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7240-1590-9437
This is something I've been thinking for a very long time now (basically since I played WarioWare Gold when it first came out):
View attachment 297601
Is it just me or does this model used in Pumpkin Panic looks like it could fit well in Smash? Or at least if you tweak and polish it a little bit... (it does give me Smash 4 vibes, specially if you increase the poly count.)
Maybe Intelligent Systems originally made this model to pitch it to Sakurai when Ultimate was in very early development or something... But they made it too late and after the roster was already decided. So they repurposed this model for this minigame because they didn't want all that work to go to waste.
I know this is some very tinfoil hat theory stuff but I just wanted to write my thoughts on this after so long. Sorry if anyone else has pointed this out before me.

Honestly my least favorite design is Wario himself. I don't know, his look in that game kind of unsettles me.
I don't really think that that model was originally going to be used for Smash, but I've always wondered why they didn't just use her Assist Trophy model for Pumpkin Panic.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
This guys been drawing Assist Trophies and Playable characters in different artstyles. Here's Ashley in the style of Little Witch Academia.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't really think that that model was originally going to be used for Smash, but I've always wondered why they didn't just use her Assist Trophy model for Pumpkin Panic.
They'd probably rather use something they'd made themselves, I guess. Wouldn't put it past them. :drshrug:

As far as I've seen, direct references to Smash are usually made from scratch, without having to ask permission for anything to recycle.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So it's been about two years since I last posted here

I've done a lot of thinking and research about Ultimate's character choices. I have however not been able to wrap my head around why Ashley didn't make it in the base game. By all means she had everything going for her, she was heavily marketed by Nintendo of Japan, to the point of transcending her own series' popularity, had very clear demand for her inclusion judging from the fact Sakurai had to literally had to correct that she wasn't playable in Smash 4 when she was revealed as an Assist Trophy, was very relevant at the time planning began, and even had a Mii Costume released at the end of Smash 4's DLC.

By all means, I really do not know what it was that prevented her, she and Takamaru are the only Assists that boggle me as to why they were excluded in the base roster. By all logical sense it made perfect sense but it seems she just missed the cut. And we may never know what it was that prevented her from being added, but I just wanted to reflect, it admittedly was shocking then and it's still perplexing thinking now so thinking back is interesting.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So it's been about two years since I last posted here

I've done a lot of thinking and research about Ultimate's character choices. I have however not been able to wrap my head around why Ashley didn't make it. By all means she had everything going for her, she was heavily marketed by Nintendo of Japan, to the point of transcending her own series' popularity, had very clear demand for her inclusion judging from the fact Sakurai had to literally had to correct that she wasn't playable in Smash 4 when she was revealed as an Assist Trophy, was very relevant at the time planning began, and even had a Mii Costume released at the end of Smash 4's DLC.

By all means, I really do not know what it was that prevented her, she and Takamaru are the only Assists that boggle me as to why they were excluded. By all logical sense it made perfect sense but it seems she just missed the cut. And we may never know what it was that prevented her from being added, but I just wanted to reflect, it admittedly was shocking then and it's still perplexing thinking now.
All of the base game characters were planned all the way back in 2015 when Ultimate's project plan was finalized. The Assist Trophies were all probably planned as well all the way back then. Though, this doesn't completely deconfirm Ashley as if Min Min a Spirit can get promoted to a playable character than so could a Assist Trophy like Ashley. But Ashley was just never in the works for Ultimate's base game for some reason.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
All of the base game characters were planned all the way back in 2015 when Ultimate's project plan was finalized. The Assist Trophies were all probably planned as well all the way back then. Though, this doesn't completely deconfirm Ashley as if Min Min a Spirit can get promoted to a playable character than so could a Assist Trophy like Ashley. But Ashley was just never in the works for Ultimate's base game for some reason.
I could see Ashley getting in at some point (Hell if this was a normal Smash game she probably would've been in by now no question) but I will say her not making the base game is quite the head-scratcher.

I'll keep my head up though, who knows what'll happen haha.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I could see Ashley getting in at some point (Hell if this was a normal Smash game she probably would've been in by now no question) but I will say her not making the base game is quite the head-scratcher.

I'll keep my head up though, who knows what'll happen haha.
: She might be DLC! We will have to wait and see!

Last edited:

alexxxela

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7240-1590-9437
I still think Ashley is an inevitability in Smash at some point, not necessarily Ultimate. But her usage in marketing material and such did seem to die down for some reason. Maybe when the rumored Warioware switch is announced or something.
It is a bit concerning to me how there has been absolutely no sign of Ashley or WarioWare since the release of Ultimate. Although I think that WarioWare Switch is definitely due for announcement.

Top Bottom