• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I always wanted another Wario character to join Smash. Unfortunately, it couldn't happen in this game due to a variety of reasons. Still, the future of the franchise is bright. As long as there isn't another Game&Wario I think the Wario franchise will get another character in the next Smash game.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I always wanted another Wario character to join Smash. Unfortunately, it couldn't happen in this game due to a variety of reasons. Still, the future of the franchise is bright. As long as there isn't another Game&Wario I think the Wario franchise will get another character in the next Smash game.
Can't really wait 10 years for that.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So, I've been meaning to ask... Why is the thread so quite?

Did everyone just give up on Ashley now?
As far as I personally go:
- Life got busy and so I have less time to spend on SB.
- When I do have time to visit the thread, nothing new has happened.

And I haven't given up on Ashley, as far as her presence in the future of Smash...but unless those rumored "dummy slots" end up being significant, I can't say I see her making it in this game specifically.

Yeah, I used to be optimistic about her odds (even as DLC), but the only way I would redevelop any hope for her as DLC is if the slots expand to ten or fifteen. I'm sure, at some point in the series, Sakurai will utilize the glory that is "Playable Assist Trophies!!!" as a marketing strategy for a wave of DLC. I just don't know how soon that will be.

But yeah, as long as WarioWare builds its popularity back up and Ashley maintains her role as the pseudo-breakout character (or she actually breaks out), Ashley should be fine.

D

Deleted member

How likely would you find the idea of Ashley or any WarioWare character in general appearing in a Mario Sports title?

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
How likely would you find the idea of Ashley or any WarioWare character in general appearing in a Mario Sports title?
I think their best bet would be a new Mario Baseball installment. Of all the Mario Sports games, Super Sluggers has been the best about having a sizable and interesting character selection (especially since you need enough characters to form two baseball teams and still have a wide variety to choose from). There were plenty of characters from the vanilla Mario games, Mario Sunshine, Yoshi's Island, and even DKC, being K. Rool's last substantial role in a video game until Smash Ultimate.

I think, if a new Mario Baseball game expanded the roster and added a few new captains (like Rosalina or Captain Toad) and made it a true celebration of the Mario-verse, then there's no way that Wario's team wouldn't be WarioWare/Land centric.

As far as other Mario Sports games, I suppose stranger things have happened. It's not like anyone expected ROB or Funky Kong to ever be playable in a Mario Kart game. But since the rosters in Golf or Tennis are typically not that big, I think Baseball is the best bet...

...unless Ashley just randomly shows up in something. Which, like I said, isn't totally unprecedented.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Well since it seems most of us are burned out and hopeless with Smash speculation, how about if we change gears...

Instead of supporting Ashley for Smash specifically, how about supporting her in general and for other titles? Such as the above idea of Mario sports games.

Maybe start asking for an Ashley game?

With Mario Maker 2 incoming, any hopes of Ashley making an appearance in there? The original had tons of Ashley levels, hopefully we get more.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Well since it seems most of us are burned out and hopeless with Smash speculation, how about if we change gears...

Instead of supporting Ashley for Smash specifically, how about supporting her in general and for other titles? Such as the above idea of Mario sports games.

Maybe start asking for an Ashley game?

With Mario Maker 2 incoming, any hopes of Ashley making an appearance in there? The original had tons of Ashley levels, hopefully we get more.
If Mystery Mushrooms come back in Mario Maker 2, then there's no way the Ashley costume isn't coming with it. I'm curious if they'll update the voice lines/sound effects at all, considering Ashley's role in the first Mario Maker was very Game & Wario-centric.

And I'm always down anytime Ashley shows up in something. If I had to pick a game for her to be in (that isn't Smash), I'd pick Mario Kart. Between ROB, Funky Kong, Link, Isabelle, and Inkling, there's a precedent in that series for off-the-wall inclusions. And while the same can be said for Mario Baseball, Mario Kart is a surefire staple of any Nintendo console, so not only do we know we'll be getting a new one somewhere down the line, but we know that if Ashley shows up, that she'll get pretty significant exposure. (Also, Mario Kart is one of the few Mario spin-offs that hasn't taken some sort of dip in quality in the past few years, so that's a plus...)

Beyond that, of course, I'd love a new WarioWare that puts an emphasis on multiplayer on the Switch, and/or an Ashley spinoff, whatever form the latter may take. I have my doubts about Crazy Galaxy being the form that a final Ashley-centric product would take, but its existence at least shows us that Nintendo is/was at some point bouncing the idea of an Ashley spinoff.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
This positive and optimistic energy is what this fanbase needs right now. Even without Smash, the Wario cast can get in the Mario spin-offs and branch out from there. Ashley has already appeared in games outside WarioWare so it's not that far-fetched to think she'd appear in Mario-Kart, god knows that game needs some actual good character additions and not boring and uninspired clones (I'm looking at you pink gold peach).

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone on this.
I can think of a few reasons why Ashley's support has been hit harder than many of the other disconfirmed characters. Some of that support was unfortunately only due to her being a bandwagon choice between E3 and the August direct, and that bubble burst immediately after her AT was shown. Others were put off by some infamous comments made by a couple of Ashley fans out there. WarioWare Gold also helped the hype, but that's old news by this point.
But I think there's still plenty of support to be had. There just needs to be a greater sense of direction beside just a Smash appearance in order to get people engaged about Ashley again.
Look at some of the other characters whose threads are still active. Banjo? Geno? Isaac? These are vocal communities because the they need to be active. The stakes are higher for them than just Smash. If their support isn't heard, these characters may never make a meaningful appearance again.
Conversely, there is no major reason for concern that WarioWare or Ashley won't be back. The only question mark was Smash Bros, and once a playable appearance obviously wasn't going to happen, there wasn't much to talk about other than patiently waiting for the next Wario game.
It's a good thing that we don't have to be loud just so our character will make any kind of appearance, but it is obviously problematic in getting much traction for anything beyond the expected WarioWare role. So we need something more. Unlike asking for a new Banjo or Golden Sun game, campaigning for a new WarioWare is kind of redundant, so asking for these characters in spin-off games is the next logical choice. And really, why shouldn't they be? If we can make our interest known, maybe we could get Ashley instead of Patina Copper Baby Rosalina as our next Mario Kart character. And the more places she appears, all the better for Smash as well.
This might be something that could be done in cooperation with other characters from series that are loosely tied to the Mario universe (WarioWare, Wario Land, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc.). It does have the potential ill effect of making Ashley get lost in the shuffle, but having a louder voice might be worth the risk. If Nintendo did dip into these franchises more, I trust Ashley wouldn't be too far down the list of options. They've already shown her special attention before.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone on this.
I can think of a few reasons why Ashley's support has been hit harder than many of the other disconfirmed characters. Some of that support was unfortunately only due to her being a bandwagon choice between E3 and the August direct, and that bubble burst immediately after her AT was shown. Others were put off by some infamous comments made by a couple of Ashley fans out there. WarioWare Gold also helped the hype, but that's old news by this point.
But I think there's still plenty of support to be had. There just needs to be a greater sense of direction beside just a Smash appearance in order to get people engaged about Ashley again.
Look at some of the other characters whose threads are still active. Banjo? Geno? Isaac? These are vocal communities because the they need to be active. The stakes are higher for them than just Smash. If their support isn't heard, these characters may never make a meaningful appearance again.
Conversely, there is no major reason for concern that WarioWare or Ashley won't be back. The only question mark was Smash Bros, and once a playable appearance obviously wasn't going to happen, there wasn't much to talk about other than patiently waiting for the next Wario game.
It's a good thing that we don't have to be loud just so our character will make any kind of appearance, but it is obviously problematic in getting much traction for anything beyond the expected WarioWare role. So we need something more. Unlike asking for a new Banjo or Golden Sun game, campaigning for a new WarioWare is kind of redundant, so asking for these characters in spin-off games is the next logical choice. And really, why shouldn't they be? If we can make our interest known, maybe we could get Ashley instead of Patina Copper Baby Rosalina as our next Mario Kart character. And the more places she appears, all the better for Smash as well.
This might be something that could be done in cooperation with other characters from series that are loosely tied to the Mario universe (WarioWare, Wario Land, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, etc.). It does have the potential ill effect of making Ashley get lost in the shuffle, but having a louder voice might be worth the risk. If Nintendo did dip into these franchises more, I trust Ashley wouldn't be too far down the list of options. They've already shown her special attention before.
I've noticed a few things about Ashley and the level of attention she gets, so prepare for some observational rambling:

1) You are right about the E3 bandwagoning. Heck, it's what led me to come back to Smashboards, the difference being that I actually stuck around because I legitimately want Ashley in Smash.

2) Smash speculation heavy-hitters seem to revolve heavily around nostalgia, and Ashley is a relatively new character, especially compared to characters originating from the SNES and N64. Like you said, characters like Geno and Isaac are faced with an extreme situation of either maintaining a constant Smashboards presence or being obsolete, but they are also characters that their respective fans grew up with. And since SNES/N64/GBA fans are generally older than DS fans, they probably have more of an influence due to their seniority, at least on SB.

3) WarioWare has stumbled quite a bit. Snapped, G&W, and even WarioWare Gold, to an extent, are far cries from the success that Touched and Smooth Moves saw. Gold had the potential to be a return to form, but it was at the wrong place at the wrong time, whereas Game & Wario was simply underwhelming...and on the Wii U. This increase in obscurity, while not a threat to the fate of the series, has possibly shifted the franchise to the background, covered up by up-and-comers like Xenoblade and Splatoon, as well as the nostalgic picks mentioned above.

In short, Ashley was the bandwagon pick that people expected, rather than actually wanting her. Now that she's been disconfirmed, actual fans have scrambled to characters who have some degree of hope, while Ashley herself shifts to the background due to the nature of her niche franchise, making way for fresh faces with mainstream appeal and nostalgic picks who will be ever-present until they miraculously make the cut. That's my take on why Ashley's support has seemingly tanked/gone quiet, and I'd say it lines up nicely with your thoughts.

Anyhow, enough of that. As for the Mario Kart thing, I think the only other Mario spin-off characters with more of a chance of appearing are Dixie, Funky, Poochy, and, to a lesser extent, K. Rool. The former three all have better mainstream appeal than Ashley (Dixie is one of the three main protagonists of the original DKC trilogy and a fan-favorite; Funky is a nostalgic character given new life via Tropical Freeze's Funky Mode; Good-Feel has been pushing Poochy as a secondary mascot to the Yoshi series, what with the amiibo, Woolly World port featuring his name in the title, and appearance on Crafted World's box art (I think)), and K. Rool...well, I'm sure Nintendo took note of just how marketable K. Rool is. But once those four are in, Ashley suddenly floats to the top, especially compared to her WW colleagues, who don't have the same tendency to appear in crossovers.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Still, for a next game, I think the general perception is that Ashley was one of the biggest fan wants before disconfirmation. So that might help us rally back support.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Still, for a next game, I think the general perception is that Ashley was one of the biggest fan wants before disconfirmation. So that might help us rally back support.
I don't think we have to worry about the next game this soon. It's gonna take a while until the next Smash comes out which is an opportunity for the Wario franchise to expand and recover from it's previous failures. If the franchise recovers and starts achieving high sales once again then this might impact the roster selection for the next Smash game.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, does he do stuff like this often?
No. I was surprised to see the drawing this morning 'cause he wrote in a deleted tweet nintendo doesn't allow him to draw the rhythm heaven characters (and presumably anything else he created at nintendo) outside the games, and certainly never danced around that line like he does here. he does ocassionally RT fan art and "warioware touched is two centuries old today"-type stuff but always quickly undo it.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No. I was surprised to see the drawing this morning 'cause he wrote in a deleted tweet nintendo doesn't allow him to draw the rhythm heaven characters (and presumably anything else he created at nintendo) outside the games, and certainly never danced around that line like he does here. he does ocassionally RT fan art and "warioware touched is two centuries old today"-type stuff but always quickly undo it.
Interesting. So is that why he tried to pass off Ashley as a cosplayer? I mean, sure, it's pretty funny to have a known cosplayer be cosplayed, but it's still kinda out of nowhere until you take what you said into account. Now what I am wondering is this: Could this be hinting at something? He really could just be sketching for the fun of it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Reading this, it's really odd that he toed this line. If that is indeed accurate, I'd imagine he got approval before doing this.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Saw that Ko Takeuchi drawing a couple days ago. A wholesome sketch, per the norm, haha.

Yeah, he typically draws non-Nintendo stuff, so its odd that he skirted the line like this. I'm not gonna look into too much, but if something comes of it, then awesome!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Something I just noticed, the sketch is a look Ashley has never had before. It's similar to her Crazy Galaxy appearance, but it feels more natural to the cannon Ashley, if that makes any sense.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
So apparently... a year has passed since I made my account and first post here.... how time flies!
EDIT: I was wrong -_-

I've been thinking in ways to support Ashley and get some momentum going, but I've had to deal with some stuff lately.

In the meantime, crossing fingers for an Ashley appearance in tomorrow's mario makers direct!

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So apparently... a year has passed since I made my account and first post here.... how time flies!

I've been thinking in ways to support Ashley and get some momentum going, but I've had to deal with some stuff lately.

In the meantime, crossing fingers for an Ashley appearance in tomorrow's mario makers direct!
Oh yeah I almost forgot about the Mario Maker direct for tomorrow.
Since it's 15 minutes long I can see them saving a small section in the video talking about costumes in the game.

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Dang... no mentions of costumes at all... this kinda worries me.

On the bright side Takamaru got a cameo!

But if there is no playable Ashley at all... I will be sad :(

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dang... no mentions of costumes at all... this kinda worries me.

On the bright side Takamaru got a cameo!

But if there is no playable Ashley at all... I will be sad :(
Hmm
Maybe they're saving more information about the game for E3?
I'd be disappointed if the mystery mushroom was taken out.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'll be legitimately upset if costumes don't return. You can't give me the option to play as Shaun the Sheep and then just take it away from me!

And happy fake one-year anniversary, Princess_Ashley Princess_Ashley !

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Haven't been back here on Smashboards for a long while.. and I see my Ashley stamps and support signatures aren't working properly anymore DANG IT :c:sadeyes::crying:

Anyone have a neat one I can borrow for a while in the meantime? :b: peas

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Sad to say, peeps, but amiibo support, and by extension mystery mushrooms, are biting the dust for SMM2, for whatever reason...

So much for the change of playing as K. Rool in oodles of SMB1 levels...:urg:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sad to say, peeps, but amiibo support, and by extension mystery mushrooms, are biting the dust for SMM2, for whatever reason...

What a shame. It's sad to see the mystery mushroom cut from the game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Sad, but it makes sense that having both that and multiplayer would possibly cause a lot of confusion gameplay wise.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Out of the Switch's lineup for the entire year, I'm only certain that I'll buy two games: CTR and Yo-kai Watch 4 (no, I can't speak Japanese, but it looks too good to wait 4 years for (at best)). SMM2 had my interest up until the Mushroom thing. Now, the only other game I can think of that's been announced this year that I'm interested in is AC.

You might say that I'm petty for letting Mystery Mushrooms get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, and I won't say that you're wrong. But I like what I like, and what I like is being able to switch between playing as Ashley, a Mercedes-Benz, and a Mahjong tile in the middle of a Mario level.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Out of the Switch's lineup for the entire year, I'm only certain that I'll buy two games: CTR and Yo-kai Watch 4 (no, I can't speak Japanese, but it looks too good to wait 4 years for (at best)). SMM2 had my interest up until the Mushroom thing. Now, the only other game I can think of that's been announced this year that I'm interested in is AC.

You might say that I'm petty for letting Mystery Mushrooms get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, and I won't say that you're wrong. But I like what I like, and what I like is being able to switch between playing as Ashley, a Mercedes-Benz, and a Mahjong tile in the middle of a Mario level.
At least you can still drive a car in-game.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
At least you can still drive a car in-game.
One out of three isn't bad, but it isn't going to get me to run to the store and buy the game Day One. Maybe....Day Forty-Seven.

MAYBE.

I want to get excited about the multiplayer aspect, too, but personally, I don't have anyone to play with. So, as nice of an addition as that is, it wouldn't affect my personal experience with the game in any meaningful way.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I don't know where to post this, but a recent leak turned out to be true and it said we might get WarioWare for the Switch revealed soon.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I don't know where to post this, but a recent leak turned out to be true and it said we might get WarioWare for the Switch revealed soon.
So, uhmmm, details on this?

There was already a WarioWare Gold leak that mentioned WW Switch, but I guess this is a different one since you say recent?

P47

Smash Apprentice
Here's Vergeben saying he's heard about WW Switch

Also I'm new here so add me to the support list :p Ashley is my 2nd most wanted newcomer (behind Bandana Dee) and I adore Warioware

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So, uhmmm, details on this?

There was already a WarioWare Gold leak that mentioned WW Switch, but I guess this is a different one since you say recent?
Vergeben posted a whole list of games that will get shown at E3, and most of them got showcased at Microsoft's E3. In his leak he mentioned a new WarioWare for the Switch is being developed and might get revealed at E3 at the earliest.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Here's Vergeben saying he's heard about WW Switch

Also I'm new here so add me to the support list :p Ashley is my 2nd most wanted newcomer (behind Bandana Dee) and I adore Warioware
Welcome! May both Bandanna Dee and Ashley someday have their well-deserved time in the limelight (preferably, sooner rather than later).

As far as the Vergeben leak, I'm trying to maintain my composure, since both the Nintendo games he talked about, he said they might not be announced at E3.

But anyone who knows me knows that Metroid and WarioWare are two of my favorite game franchises. So if we can get both in one day, then I'll be beyond ecstatic.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
So... with rumors of Waluigi being DLC revitalizing... I think it's time to make a push to support Ashley. The time is just right to ask for her. Ask for a new Wario Ware switch, ask for her to be in mario maker, ask for her to get her own game, and of course, ask for her to be in Smash.

It may not be much but I will be writting an email to nintendo by tomorrow. Who else wanna join?

Top Bottom