• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Eh, not that much.

Kamek is poorly placed franchise-wise, but he's still a Yoshi character first and foremost. Also, the Yoshi series feels magical at times.

A witch sounds pretty neat, and Wario has tons of transformations, so "magic" doesn't sound that odd.
I am not saying that it's unnatural for those two series to have magical characters, I am just saying how it's kinda funny that the two happen to have their most probable newcomers be so similar in mystical occupation as well as both series origins being that of the Mario franchise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I am not saying that it's unnatural for those two series to have magical characters, I am just saying how it's kinda funny that the two happen to have their most probable newcomers be so similar in mystical occupation as well as both series origins being that of the Mario franchise.
Ah, that's what you meant.

Well, they just don't feel that similar other than a slight occupation. We barely know of what Ashley can do while Kamek throws out his blocks like a Lego man.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anyone know the optimal way to make ashley's eyes for a mii fighter? (well everything else too)

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Well, that was...a Direct. And nothing Wario/Ashley-related. Poo. Maybe that Ashley game will randomly pop up at E3? A guy can hope, haha.

Sorry I've been away for so long. And I apologize in the future for my huge absences. I'm still here, just not as much. My personal life has taken off in a positive way, but it also demands more of my time. When I come home at the end of the day, I just want to hang out with my family, play a video game, and go to bed, but I'll try and make a little more time for SB, just to see if y'all are up to anything on this thread.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Pretty confident that Warioware switch is a thing. Going aaaaaaaall the way back to the original Warioware Gold leak and we finally got Link's Awakening.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Pretty confident that Warioware switch is a thing. Going aaaaaaaall the way back to the original Warioware Gold leak and we finally got Link's Awakening.
Oh yeah, haha. I forgot about that leak.

I mean, WarioWare has had perfect attendance since the Game Boy Advance, so a Switch installment is inevitable. But they need to time the release better than they did with Gold. I'm no economist, but maybe releasing a game in the midst of a console's death throes isn't the best idea. Which is a darn shame, because that meant a lot of people missed out on the fun that WWG had to offer...

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
But they need to time the release better than they did with Gold. I'm no economist, but maybe releasing a game in the midst of a console's death throes isn't the best idea. Which is a darn shame, because that meant a lot of people missed out on the fun that WWG had to offer...
While Gold certainly would've done better if it was on Switch/was released years earlier, I think it's a good omen for the series that it was the best-selling of the 2018 3DS releases(*) by a comfortable margin

*in Japan, but that's the only place where we have hard numbers anyway

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
While Gold certainly would've done better if it was on Switch/was released years earlier, I think it's a good omen for the series that it was the best-selling of the 2018 3DS releases(*) by a comfortable margin

*in Japan, but that's the only place where we have hard numbers anyway
I'm confident that the franchise can sell well when marketed properly. It's got an iconic Mario character on the cover (with a really colorful supporting cast backing him), a great sense of humor, and it makes for an awesome casual party game, with plenty of single player replayability. What else could you ask for?

Out of curiosity, what games were Gold competing with in 2018? I must confess that I wasn't really keeping up with the 3DS all that much, but there weren't many 3DS releases that I can think of last year, and the few that I can think of (Yo-kai Watch Blasters and Detective Pikachu) released in Japan years earlier, so they presumably wouldn't be considered for the statistic you bring up.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, what games were Gold competing with in 2018? I must confess that I wasn't really keeping up with the 3DS all that much, but there weren't many 3DS releases that I can think of last year, and the few that I can think of (Yo-kai Watch Blasters and Detective Pikachu) released in Japan years earlier, so they presumably wouldn't be considered for the statistic you bring up.
A eshop release of Detective Pikachu was released in Japan 2016 that only covered the first three chapters, but the full game was 2018.

First-party:

Detective Pikachu: 106.977

Luigi's Mansion: 90.50

Captain Toad 3DS: 84.130

Mario & Luigi BIS remake: 20.678 (ouch!)

Sushi Striker: 2.652

Notable 3rd party releases:

Etrian Odyssey Nexus: 100.422

Persona Q2: 98.388

In comparison, WW Gold sold 132.570 according to the sales tracker I got all of the above numbers from and 138k according to another one. So yeah, not a huge hit but that it did better than a competent port of LM (considering just how huge Dark Moon was in Japan) and a Pokemon game that has the hype of a hugely-anticipated blockbuster movie behind it (even if it's just a spin-off) is a pretty good showing I think.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
A eshop release of Detective Pikachu was released in Japan 2016 that only covered the first three chapters, but the full game was 2018.

First-party:

Detective Pikachu: 106.977

Luigi's Mansion: 90.50

Captain Toad 3DS: 84.130

Mario & Luigi BIS remake: 20.678 (ouch!)

Sushi Striker: 2.652

Notable 3rd party releases:

Etrian Odyssey Nexus: 100.422

Persona Q2: 98.388

In comparison, WW Gold sold 132.570 according to the sales tracker I got all of the above numbers from and 138k according to another one. So yeah, not a huge hit but that it did better than a competent port of LM (considering just how huge Dark Moon was in Japan) and a Pokemon game that has the hype of a hugely-anticipated blockbuster movie behind it (even if it's just a spin-off) is a pretty good showing I think.
Oh, awesome! Thanks for this. Gotta say, WarioWare doing the best out of four Mario-related releases is pleasantly surprising. And then a Pokemon game as well? What a strange timeline we're living in.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, what are people's thoughts now on that old WarioWare leak? It got quite a bit right about Gold, but obviously there's a lot wrong since Link's Awakening isn't a 2018 3DS game and Wario Land never happened.
Lucky guesses? A real but not fully reliable source? That it's all true and Link's Awakening got delayed due to being moved from the 3DS to the Switch and Wario Land's development simply fell apart? I kind of lean towards the middle possibility since the details about Gold just seem to be too accurate to be made up, but I'm not putting too much stock into the rest of the leak at this point.
Whatever the case, we'll probably get our WarioWare game on the Switch eventually. It's good to see that Gold did well compared to other games from last year. Surely Nintendo is smart enough to keep the context of a 2018 release in mind and not just look at the hard numbers alone.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I guess, but I always thought Kamek would be a Yoshi rep, as he did make his debut in Yoshi's Island.
Actually, Kamek made his debut in Super Mario World.

All that would be left to do is the herculean task of getting F-Zero a second rep and then we would be golden.
I think Mother could get a 3rd rep, potentially Porky since he is the only Subspace Emissary boss that doesn't have a spirit and Mother's 30th anniversary is coming up as well as maybe Mother 3 finally getting localized and released in the west.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So Kamek is basically like the predecessor to Kammy Koopa from the first two Paper Mario games.
Kinda. Despite his long history, Kamek has no differences from normal Magikoopas in his appearance. Kammy was likly an attempt to make a unique Magikoopa leader. He has a more prevalent role in the Yoshi series, later Paper Mario and M&L games, and even a cameo in SMRPG.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
That is when Magikoopa's first appeared, but the character of Kamek was made in Yoshi's Island.
worth noting that in Japan, all Magikoopas are called "Kameks" and the times where there's a single Magikoopa character are not given a different name (barring a few freak exceptions like SMRPG). So it's like the Yoshi situation, if the western translators decided that they should call the green Yoshi who's really not distinct from other Yoshis but is agreed by the fans to be an individual character due to being vaguely more proeminent in some ways "Yossy", but not always consistently.

-and to prevent this thread from sliding further into off-topicness, here's a Valentine's Day Ashley

https://twitter.com/meiwari/status/1096070357734195201

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Hey Ashley fans, so what do you guys think about the idea of Ashley crossing over to Mario spin-off games like Mario Kart, Party, sports, etc? Just a random idea.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Just curious, what are people's thoughts now on that old WarioWare leak? It got quite a bit right about Gold, but obviously there's a lot wrong since Link's Awakening isn't a 2018 3DS game and Wario Land never happened.
Lucky guesses? A real but not fully reliable source? That it's all true and Link's Awakening got delayed due to being moved from the 3DS to the Switch and Wario Land's development simply fell apart? I kind of lean towards the middle possibility since the details about Gold just seem to be too accurate to be made up, but I'm not putting too much stock into the rest of the leak at this point.
Whatever the case, we'll probably get our WarioWare game on the Switch eventually. It's good to see that Gold did well compared to other games from last year. Surely Nintendo is smart enough to keep the context of a 2018 release in mind and not just look at the hard numbers alone.
I'm still pretty leery of that leak, due to the amount of time it's taken to prove itself, and even then, it's only half-true at this point. Sure, there was a 3DS WarioWare with voice acting, but there has been no Switch WarioWare. Link's Awakening happened, but on the wrong console. And Wario Land is still MIA.

I think that best-case scenario, it might be possible that the leaker simply had outdated information, but that's being generous. I don't have much reason to believe it was anything more than a rando who got kind of lucky with a couple of their guesses.

Hey Ashley fans, so what do you guys think about the idea of Ashley crossing over to Mario spin-off games like Mario Kart, Party, sports, etc? Just a random idea.
Every time I see Ashley appear outside of her home series, I get pretty ecstatic, because it slowly solidifies her position as a member of the Nintendo Cool Kid's Club by way of mainstream exposure. So if she showed up in a Mario spin-off, I would be happy, plain and simple.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes guys, Nintendo is sleeping on her and she should be in Mario Kart by now.
You'd think by now we'd have two Warios, one per design. Would've been a lot better than Cat Peach/etc. At least acknowledge his other key series besides Wario Land among the Mario games, really.

Though I'd like Dr. Mario in there too. Really, if you're going to do clones, they can do better than outright make up characters alone like Pink Gold Peach(which is still better than Cat Peach and Baby Rosalina, since there's far fewer Metal characters... though it's not much better).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You'd think by now we'd have two Warios, one per design. Would've been a lot better than Cat Peach/etc. At least acknowledge his other key series besides Wario Land among the Mario games, really.

Though I'd like Dr. Mario in there too. Really, if you're going to do clones, they can do better than outright make up characters alone like Pink Gold Peach(which is still better than Cat Peach and Baby Rosalina, since there's far fewer Metal characters... though it's not much better).
Anything would be better than Pink Gold Peach. I hope Peachette replaces that character, because Peachette at least actually existed beforehand(And I did make her thread, so I guess I am a bit biased).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Anything would be better than Pink Gold Peach. I hope Peachette replaces that character, because Peachette at least actually existed beforehand(And I did make her thread, so I guess I am a bit biased).
I'll take a Metal character over another random Baby character, who is even worse. It's our first unique Metal since Gold Mario/Luigi. And actually a unique design color variation too. We should've only had Baby Mario and Baby Luigi instead of the other ones. If they wanted to add another baby with Peach, they could've chosen things like Donkey Kong Jr. instead. Hell, even Baby Wario or Baby Yoshi would've been better than Baby Daisy.

No reason to replace an actual reasonably unique character. Replace Cat Peach instead with Peachette. And replace whatever extra Mario it was(Tanooki, I think?) with Dr. Mario. Just a far better option and nothing feels shoehorned in. Plus, a Metal version of Peach exists in Mario Party 2. It's just a different color from that. It's more like an evolved Metal Peach at this point.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So, how do y'all feel about Reggie retiring soon? Most people seem to be okay with Doug Bowser taking over, but it still kind of feels like the end of an era.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, how do y'all feel about Reggie retiring soon? Most people seem to be okay with Doug Bowser taking over, but it still kind of feels like the end of an era.
That's because it is. It's a rather sweet end, all things considered.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
See? K Rool loves Ashley

Unlike all the memes of him beating her up, those were in poor taste.
I mean…

CL6tafp.jpg

You need wholesome mutual support, not treat everything like it's the ****ing US presidential campaign.

That's because it is. It's a rather sweet end, all things considered.
Yeah, especially compared to Iwata's unfortunate end a few years beforehand, and Kimishima getting shuffled out on both sides of the pond at different points.

Reggie got to bow out at the height of his career and spend time with his loved ones, which is what anyone should aspire to once they retire.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
somone on reddit posted a switch survey so I got the word out the only way I can.

I don't understand what's taking so long with the Themes. I'm not even talking about Ashley-specific themes, just...anything beyond "Basic White" and "Basic Black". Slap a picture on the menu with a couple sound effects and a catchy tune in the background, for crying out loud, Nintendo.

(And, if the 3DS is any indication, there's a good possibility Ashley will rear her head once again the second Themes are better realized on the Switch.)

Also, regarding Reggie, I'm happy the guy gets to spend more time with his family. I envy the life of a man who makes oodles of cash working at Nintendo, and retires before he turns 60 to spend the rest of his life living comfortably with his family.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand what's taking so long with the Themes. I'm not even talking about Ashley-specific themes, just...anything beyond "Basic White" and "Basic Black". Slap a picture on the menu with a couple sound effects and a catchy tune in the background, for crying out loud, Nintendo.

(And, if the 3DS is any indication, there's a good possibility Ashley will rear her head once again the second Themes are better realized on the Switch.)
I know right?... I loved throwing my money away just buying cute 3ds themes... I had way too much to even use... Not to mention the Ashley badges! Nintendo really did raid my wallet with something so simple... So yeah... I really want them back on the switch!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
there are tons of non clasic mario related character that would do great in stuff like mario kart or mario party.

Wario ware's crew would be pretty nice, ashley, mona, jimmy t.
Paper mario's companions would also be super sick, Vivian, goobella, koops...
Just the rest of teh DK crew, considering how many already is in there, Dixie, cranky, ..... ..... .... Lanky

Top Bottom