• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
He's on the list of ATs on the site now. He's just never been shown off.
Oh. Ouch. Guess this is the dream dlc lineup for me:
Dixie Kong
Banjo and Kazooie
Impa (please, Zelda has earned a new rep after this long amount of torment)
Crash bandicoot (one can only dream)
Shantae

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
It was clear that the leak wasn't perfect like people said based on the background disparities and it conflicting with Sakurai's statements. People who caught on to that saved themselves a lot of disappointment. Still, even with that in mind I expected more than just 1 unique and 1 newcomer. So it was a pretty disappointing direct overall.

On the bright side, with so many beloved picks getting AT'd maybe more people will come around on Assists for DLC.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Still better than Skull Kid who was never even formally shown.
He's on the list of ATs on the site now. He's just never been shown off.
Yeah Skull Kid fans were done dirty; my condolences. I would have loved to see a new Zelda character, but instead we get PLANT

I still can't believe Ashley's plant made it in before Ashley herself! (Ashley is still on her way B-)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Skull Kid likely wasn't shown because his AT could have been revamped to emulate his Boss fight in Spirits

Anyway, My reaction towards the direct is fairly simple. I loved it. Disappointed that Kenciniroar was it for base, but Not much I can do about that. Whether we got the Grinch Roster or Box theory, the roster is still the same, quality wise, to me.

I will say this, as it relates to Ashley, If we want to get her promoted we gotta make it known. I'm 100% positive that she is not in that first pass of DLC meaning that, at the moment, She really won't make Ultimate. It's early in the Switch's life, I personally doubt we'll have 1 round of DLC. But if we want Ashley we should let it be known loud and clear that we want 1st party promotions including the likes of Waluigi, Springman and Isaac (Rex and Dixie too). I feel that with all of those characters (PLus the 5 that I theorize to be a DQ character, Lloyd, MS Character (Banjo) and promotional FE and Pokemon characters) it is really a roster that would be perfect to many people

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well, people seem to think that the DLC characters were already decided during the original project plan which, if true, would probably mean ATs as DLC aren't happening. By no means would I consider that a certain thing at this stage, though.
If ATs and Spirits aren't going to be DLC, what first party does that even leave, really, besides maybe Bandana Dee or Elma? That would mean most of the DLC will be third party characters once again, which, ehhhh. I might buy one or two if I'm particularly interested, like Banjo, but I'll probably skip the Pass. I only bothered purchasing Mewtwo and Ryu last time.
Even if I'm feeling pessimistic about Ashley DLC this time, I'll try to come back and support next time around if I'm not feeling too old and boring by that point. It's a shame it didn't happen this time, though. The timing would have been great for Ashley if the newcomer choices were more in line with Smash 4, but Ultimate's priorities weren't well suited for her. All we can do is keep supporting Ashley and WarioWare to keep her and her series relevant next generation.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Since Sakurai has hastily shoved just about every character worth paying for (IMO) into the Assist Trophy Graveyard, I'm getting pretty nervous about DLC. I'll continue to cling to the desperate hope that ATs can be promoted via DLC, but even if that fails to happen, Geno, Bandanna Dee, and Banjo are still kickin'.

As a beside, am I the only one excited for Piranha Plant? I've seen a lot of people upset about him, but I think he looks really fun. What can I say? I'm a simple guy: I see a Nintendo character with an interesting moveset and I'm sold.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Since Sakurai has hastily shoved just about every character worth paying for (IMO) into the Assist Trophy Graveyard, I'm getting pretty nervous about DLC. I'll continue to cling to the desperate hope that ATs can be promoted via DLC, but even if that fails to happen, Geno, Bandanna Dee, and Banjo are still kickin'.

As a beside, am I the only one excited for Piranha Plant? I've seen a lot of people upset about him, but I think he looks really fun. What can I say? I'm a simple guy: I see a Nintendo character with an interesting moveset and I'm sold.
I've seen plenty of people in both camps. If there's any measure to go by, the general thread's poll currently has 290 votes for "Piranhatastic" and only 82 for "Piranhacrap", so I guess that might suggest there's a decent number of fans?
I wish I could say I agree, but I unfortunately can't. I like good movesets, of course, but there's still plenty of characters that could have great movesets that are also popular. As for "joke" charactes, the ones we've gotten so far have either been easy to make (:ultpichu:) or actually make a lot of sense in hindsight (:ultwiifittrainer:). Piranha, though, doesn't fall in either bucket, though, so he'll always stick out as a sore thumb to me, and it's a bit of a bitter pill for a lot of people already disappointed by the final newcomers.
But hey, I'm glad you think he looks fun. This game already looks good to me, and there's no use being bitter that other people are happy. :)

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Well, people seem to think that the DLC characters were already decided during the original project plan which, if true, would probably mean ATs as DLC aren't happening. By no means would I consider that a certain thing at this stage, though.
If ATs and Spirits aren't going to be DLC, what first party does that even leave, really, besides maybe Bandana Dee or Elma? That would mean most of the DLC will be third party characters once again, which, ehhhh. I might buy one or two if I'm particularly interested, like Banjo, but I'll probably skip the Pass. I only bothered purchasing Mewtwo and Ryu last time.
Even if I'm feeling pessimistic about Ashley DLC this time, I'll try to come back and support next time around if I'm not feeling too old and boring by that point. It's a shame it didn't happen this time, though. The timing would have been great for Ashley if the newcomer choices were more in line with Smash 4, but Ultimate's priorities weren't well suited for her. All we can do is keep supporting Ashley and WarioWare to keep her and her series relevant next generation.
I said this to a few Isaac fans that they should hope for DLC. Even though Wave 1 is a no go, if there's a wave 2 then assists have a fair shot at getting in.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I can be be both a little upset AND interested in how he plays. I agree that his playstyle looks fascinating, and the fact that Sakurai found a way to create a fighter I don't think anyone guessed is a nice touch. Also, and this is mostly for me, hopefully it'll stop the silly "Goomba with a hat" argument for Bandana Dee.

Also, every Assist Trophy is now on the site right? So why is Ashley still not showing up? Is anyone else sort of confused about this?

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I can be be both a little upset AND interested in how he plays. I agree that his playstyle looks fascinating, and the fact that Sakurai found a way to create a fighter I don't think anyone guessed is a nice touch. Also, and this is mostly for me, hopefully it'll stop the silly "Goomba with a hat" argument for Bandana Dee.

Also, every Assist Trophy is now on the site right? So why is Ashley still not showing up? Is anyone else sort of confused about this?
Must just be something on your end. Ashley is showing up for me.

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 11.48.02 PM.png

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
For real tho. A year of Assist upgrades would be great. There's Ashley, Shadow, Lyn, Isaac, Waluigi, Bomberman. Shadow could probably be the free DLC.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
For real tho. A year of Assist upgrades would be great. There's Ashley, Shadow, Lyn, Isaac, Waluigi, Bomberman. Shadow could probably be the free DLC.
Any complaints I have about the game would seriously fly out the window if Sakurai just took this post and made it real.

(Bonus points if he makes Black Knight playable, too.)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Nah, dude. I’m about ready to main the thing just for the lolz (and also because it has the most unique moveset I’ve ever seen, but that’s beside the point). I honestly was confused when I first saw piranha. I thought it was just a little joke but then the splash screen came and I was a bit excited, but also disappointed dry bones didn’t come first.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Any complaints I have about the game would seriously fly out the window if Sakurai just took this post and made it real.

(Bonus points if he makes Black Knight playable, too.)
It's so good. They all have a good color balance as a unit along with not playing like each other.

Lyn could be a heavy quadruped spacey since she's a horse archer in Fire Emblem Heroes.

Waluigi would be a brawler that hits you with everything from the Mario spinoffs.

Bomberman is our item character that sets traps across the ground.

Isaac could work as a hybrid sword and magic fighter. I've seen what he can do with those giant hands, spawning ladders, and causing earthquakes. He's definitely no Robin clone.

Ashley of course is our lightweight status mage with lots of aerial combat capability. She's got a lot fancy spells too like that pumpkin transformation and summoning spell.

Edit: I really hope that people get that assists dont get excluded from DLC. I've seen those asking why they would excluded Springman from DLC by making him an assist when he was perfect for that. Probably because he's not excluded, fam.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Edit: I really hope that people get that assists dont get excluded from DLC. I've seen those asking why they would excluded Springman from DLC by making him an assist when he was perfect for that. Probably because he's not excluded, fam.
In all honesty, It's because of Springman that I'm sure that it's on the table in some form. I just do not see Sakurai taking him off the table instantly like that, same with Rex, even if he isn't an assist. After the Waluigi thing, the apparent hasty nature in shoehorning in Ashley in 8/8, I'm more thinking that he's open to it, with the former two examples (Springman and Rex) just getting something to be represented in the base game giving them the future to be fully represented.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
It's so good. They all have a good color balance as a unit along with not playing like each other.

Lyn could be a heavy quadruped spacey since she's a horse archer in Fire Emblem Heroes.

Waluigi would be a brawler that hits you with everything from the Mario spinoffs.

Bomberman is our item character that sets traps across the ground.

Isaac could work as a hybrid sword and magic fighter. I've seen what he can do with those giant hands, spawning ladders, and causing earthquakes. He's definitely no Robin clone.

Ashley of course is our lightweight status mage with lots of aerial combat capability. She's got a lot fancy spells too like that pumpkin transformation and summoning spell.

It'd be really awesome if Wave 1 of DLC had Waluigi, just to sort of wake people up to Sakurai's openness to AT promotion. Then, Wave 2 is exclusively AT promotions, haha.

Oh, and since The Waa is in W1, Skull Kid could take his place in W2.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Skull Kid likely wasn't shown because his AT could have been revamped to emulate his Boss fight in Spirits

Anyway, My reaction towards the direct is fairly simple. I loved it. Disappointed that Kenciniroar was it for base, but Not much I can do about that. Whether we got the Grinch Roster or Box theory, the roster is still the same, quality wise, to me.

I will say this, as it relates to Ashley, If we want to get her promoted we gotta make it known. I'm 100% positive that she is not in that first pass of DLC meaning that, at the moment, She really won't make Ultimate. It's early in the Switch's life, I personally doubt we'll have 1 round of DLC. But if we want Ashley we should let it be known loud and clear that we want 1st party promotions including the likes of Waluigi, Springman and Isaac (Rex and Dixie too). I feel that with all of those characters (PLus the 5 that I theorize to be a DQ character, Lloyd, MS Character (Banjo) and promotional FE and Pokemon characters) it is really a roster that would be perfect to many people
I agree she won't be in the first batch. You know what that means? Time to campaign. Now.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
I will say this, as it relates to Ashley, If we want to get her promoted we gotta make it known. I'm 100% positive that she is not in that first pass of DLC meaning that, at the moment, She really won't make Ultimate. It's early in the Switch's life, I personally doubt we'll have 1 round of DLC. But if we want Ashley we should let it be known loud and clear that we want 1st party promotions including the likes of Waluigi, Springman and Isaac (Rex and Dixie too). I feel that with all of those characters (Plus the 5 that I theorize to be a DQ character, Lloyd, MS Character (Banjo) and promotional FE and Pokemon characters) it is really a roster that would be perfect to many people
yeah, there's no damn way we're only getting only 5 dlc character + Piranha Plant

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I guess there's a little bit of good news. Robin's Final Smash is literally unchanged. So the possibility of "2 characters at once" Doesn't seem to be an issue.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think everyone who got sent to Assist Trophy Hell should start a massive campaign that is guaranteed to catch Nintendo and Sakurai's attention. Shadow, Skull Kid, Bomber Man, Lynn, Ashley, Waluigi and Isaac. Together we could possibly be louder than even some of the biggest support groups.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think everyone who got sent to Assist Trophy Hell should start a massive campaign that is guaranteed to catch Nintendo and Sakurai's attention. Shadow, Skull Kid, Bomber Man, Lynn, Ashley, Waluigi and Isaac. Together we could possibly be louder than even some of the biggest support groups.
The Isaac support thread has already suggested that. The movement is #UpgradeAssists and will unite the voices of all the fans whose characters are Assist Trophies.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone i'm from the Isaac support thread. Since many popular characters were sent off to the assist graveyard, I think we should join forces. I believe if Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Skull Kid and Shadow supporters joined up and signed one petition we may be able to generate enough attention for Nintendo to take notice. If anyone is interested they can sign here (you don't need to use money to advertise it so don't feel pressured to). This could be nothing, but if we all give it a real effort we could make Nintendo or Sakurai reconsider these characters for DLC fighters, or base roster characters for the next game. #UpgradeAssists

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone i'm from the Isaac support thread. Since many popular characters were sent off to the assist graveyard, I think we should join forces. I believe if Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Skull Kid and Shadow supporters joined up and signed one petition we may be able to generate enough attention for Nintendo to take notice. If anyone is interested they can sign here (you don't need to use money to advertise it so don't feel pressured to). This could be nothing, but if we all give it a real effort we could make Nintendo or Sakurai reconsider these characters for DLC fighters, or base roster characters for the next game. #UpgradeAssists
Good job keeping it respectful. The best thing to do is keep buying games that future these characters and if there is ever is a new ballot vote for your favorite assist trophy. Maybe Nintendo and Camelot will consider making a new Golden Sun or a remake with all of the demand for Isaac down the line.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Well, I may have finally talked my friend into buying WarioWare Gold. Between buying the Ashley Mii Costume and 3DS Themes (and trying to get as many Badges as I could when they were available), playing the heck out of Pumpkin Panic with SpotPass turned on, and possibly swaying people to purchase Gold, no one can say that old Zabadoo ain't doing his part.

Speaking of Ashley-related stuff, I'm also working on better illustrating the Ashley moveset that I wrote down quite a ways back. I think I came up with a design that everyone will like. Sorry for the mediocrity of the drawing (and the fact that it's sideways), but I think it gets the point across.

15413914890931294612347314240091.jpg

I have some other Ashley things potentially in the works, but they're in the early EARLY stages of development. In the meantime, I'll remind everyone to keep up the good fight. If we keep our flame kindled, we could see Ashley playable by the time Smash 6 rolls around (and possibly before that, if we're lucky)!

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
What opportunities does she to be a DLC character?
is she still important in Japan?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hey, I haven't posted here in a long time!
So, now that we know the full roster of playable and assists, I think it's important to note that Ashley stays while Kat & Ana are removed.

As said above, Chrom is something really important, being both a playable character and a final smash: this do mean that something that interact with character can exist twice. Assist trophies, stage hazard (like Tingle) aren't deconfirmed. At least, not a hard deconfirmation. As said, wave 1 is probably something already decided, according to the game content. But indeed, a wave 2 isn't impossible, and that's where popular assists can get a chance.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So, now that we know the full roster of playable and assists, I think it's important to note that Ashley stays while Kat & Ana are removed.
Kat and Ana do seem to be repurposed as Characters in the Spirit Dojo, though. So it's something atleast.

What opportunities does she to be a DLC character?
is she still important in Japan?
Since the Badge Arcade is done, it's a bit harder to gauge. But, she was rather prominent on the Marketing for Warioware Gold. At the very least, it's promising.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

As said above, Chrom is something really important, being both a playable character and a final smash: this do mean that something that interact with character can exist twice. Assist trophies, stage hazard (like Tingle) aren't deconfirmed. At least, not a hard deconfirmation. As said, wave 1 is probably something already decided, according to the game content. But indeed, a wave 2 isn't impossible, and that's where popular assists can get a chance.
Good to see(?) you again! It's been a while!

Yeah, the Chrom thing is really odd. It's almost like a little nod from the devs, as if to say "don't take the canon of a silly party game so seriously".

I'm still worried that DLC will be a bunch of third-parties that I don't care about (Smash 4 has set that precedent, after all), but it would be really amazing to get some of those AT'd characters onto the playable roster.

I know Sakurai hasn't said whether or not the five DLC characters are it, but I certainly hope that isn't the case. All this game needs is Ashley, and I'll be perfectly content. (Throw in Skull Kid, Isaac, and Waluigi, and I'll be SUPER-content.)

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice

Seems like they cut the ones who have not had a game in a while in the case of Saki, replaced them with more fun ones in the case of Lakitu and cut Kid Icarus and WarioWare down to 1 to make room for some new assist trophies.

Good to see(?) you again! It's been a while!

Yeah, the Chrom thing is really odd. It's almost like a little nod from the devs, as if to say "don't take the canon of a silly party game so seriously".

I'm still worried that DLC will be a bunch of third-parties that I don't care about (Smash 4 has set that precedent, after all), but it would be really amazing to get some of those AT'd characters onto the playable roster.

I know Sakurai hasn't said whether or not the five DLC characters are it, but I certainly hope that isn't the case. All this game needs is Ashley, and I'll be perfectly content. (Throw in Skull Kid, Isaac, and Waluigi, and I'll be SUPER-content.)
The reason why there might not be a wave 2 is due to the characters taking longer to balance and 80 characters in all seems like a nice even number to stop at. On the other hand Furukawa seems to be pushing for lots of DLC and if the profits are good from wave 1 I'm sure he will want a wave 2 to be made and Sakurai will keep making it if Nintendo demands him to do so.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
People still like her if that's what you're asking. Compare the # of views and likes on her WW Gold character trailer vs Jimmy's and Mona's
That's reassuring to see. She's got more clout than her coworkers in Japan for sure. And that Warioware Gold still has legs 3 months after launch.

What would be nice is some data that shows she's some of that popularity too. I hate adding the suffix that she's popular with "In Japan".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing I like to think on with Chrom is that because it's a cutscene Final Smash, it's really fast and easy to not get him confused with the playable version.

While it doesn't mean AT's can't be upgraded in the same game, it doesn't lead that much to the same logic. It's a different context of which he's an NPC, which is a short moment. AT's last for a while and can be confused with regular characters entirely. My guess is they'd disable an AT while the character is playable. Not unlike how Toon Link was a state element but replaced while either Link was being played as on the Spirit Train stage. That said, I would love her to be DLC~

Either way, I'll make sure to get the costume(if it needs to be bought in-game) or unlock it, or whatever as soon as possible~

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I think this cap of Nintendo UK's youtube page might give some idea

(Let it be known I can't crop for ****)

As well as the number of views on this video (seriously, what the hell?)
It's reassuring to see that the character has gained some steam outside of Japan. Heck, that Nintendo Unity video has quite a few views, to say the least! Of the NU WarioWare videos I saw, the least-watched one was, surprisingly, Wario Man.

If only Nintendo released a WarioWare game on the Switch in a timely fashion, I'm sure it'd sell well...

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
It's reassuring to see that the character has gained some steam outside of Japan. Heck, that Nintendo Unity video has quite a few views, to say the least! Of the NU WarioWare videos I saw, the least-watched one was, surprisingly, Wario Man.

If only Nintendo released a WarioWare game on the Switch in a timely fashion, I'm sure it'd sell well...
Based on Gold's sales (for a 3DS game released in 2018) and game sales on Switch, I'm certain a Switch warioware has the potential to be the best-selling game in the series if:

-it doesn't suck
-has marketing
-is released at a sane time
-has a strong local multiplayer component

Hey, Gold teases it! Certainly it's coming for the Year of Wario in 2020, along with a Virtual Boy Wario Land remake and Crazy Galaxy... *eye twitch*

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Based on Gold's sales (for a 3DS game released in 2018) and game sales on Switch, I'm certain a Switch warioware has the potential to be the best-selling game in the series if:

-it doesn't suck
-has marketing
-is released at a sane time
-has a strong local multiplayer component

Hey, Gold teases it! Certainly it's coming for the Year of Wario in 2020, along with a Virtual Boy Wario Land remake and Crazy Galaxy... *eye twitch*
A Switch version of Gold (not a port, just ... a similar game with more content and multiplayer) would be perfect, in my opinion. And it's true that there's dialogue teasing a Switch game in Gold. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

For something a little different, I thought of a cool idea for an Ashley game. It could be like a minigame compilation/Adventure game combo, where you explore Ashley's mansion, and interacting with certain items instigates some sort of separate game. For example, going to the garden could be where you play a revised and extended version of Pumpkin Panic, and going to bed would take you to a dream where Ashley is a teenager and is in space (where have I heard that before...). Stuff like that. I think it'd be a happy-medium between keeping Ashley as the same little witch we all know and love, while making Crazy Galaxy a reality.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
I'm honestly pretty spooked about DLC. If it's anything like Smash 4's, the best way to describe it will be "disappointment".

But the fact that he clarifies that "this time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo" is odd. How does that bode for us? Should I be scared, or reassured?

Top Bottom