• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I hope that someone has told Sakurai about the various reactions today so he can finally learn that not all Assist Trophies are beloved and actual depress fans of a character. Maybe he'll realize to knock that crap off. It's almost as if he knows this, judging by his "He still isn't playable" comment about Waluigi during Miiverse posting last game.
I think you're attributing a certain malice to Sakurai that just isn't there. Once Sakurai decides his roster, he adds Assist Trophies in as easy fanservice. If Ashley didn't have an AT, that doesn't mean she would have been in the game, it just would have prolonged our false hope of her inclusion in the base game. Personally I prefer to have something rather than nothing, and to have my expectations dashed quickly rather than build the hype in my head just to have it crash down at the end zone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm sad she isn't playable, but an AT is still something to give to the fans. It's love and care put into the character so they still add something to the game.

It's fine if you're disappointed, but there's no way Sakurai has malice behind the idea. He more jokes about Waluigi, but is well aware of his popularity too.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think you're attributing a certain malice to Sakurai that just isn't there. Once Sakurai decides his roster, he adds Assist Trophies in as easy fanservice. If Ashley didn't have an AT, that doesn't mean she would have been in the game, it just would have prolonged our false hope of her inclusion in the base game. Personally I prefer to have something rather than nothing, and to have my expectations dashed quickly rather than build the hype in my head just to have it crash down at the end zone.
This. People don't realize that the roster is one of the things Sakurai (and most developers would) set in place first in a project plan. The assists aren't stopping anyone from being playable- just means they weren't chosen to begin with but the team thought they were popular, important, or unique enough to add into the game in some way. Not everything needs or logically can be a playable fighter.

Fanservice seems to be the focus of this game, so if a ballot does happen, then I imagine Ashley has a (albeit small) chance still. We are seeing some things play dual roles in the game (Toon link is both a stage element and a fighter, the Moon is both an assist and a stage element, Rathalos is both a boss and an assist.

She is a popular character and I am happy to see her in the game in some form.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's a shame she didn't make it in the base roster. However, I don't think all is lost. Sakurai is a crazy man. It's always a possibility that he breaks another "rule" and makes a character an Assist and a playable character. I don't want to give you guys false hope but just make your voices heard. Be loud, really loud. And maybe, just maybe, the made up rule can be broken.

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame she didn't make it in the base roster. However, I don't think all is lost. Sakurai is a crazy man. It's always a possibility that he breaks another "rule" and makes a character an Assist and a playable character. I don't want to give you guys false hope but just make your voices heard. Be loud, really loud. And maybe, just maybe, the made up rule can be broken.
Just think of all the rules Sakurai has broken thus far. In Brawl he went out of his way to make Smash uncompetitive, now we have a training mode with a grid and launch lines. He repeatedly said Ridley wouldn't work as a fighter, and he was the second newcomer announced.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I have no doubts this silly assist trophy rule can be broken for DLC. It's as easy as removing the assist trophy from the game or when that fighter is in the match. Popular characters are assist trophies. It doesn't make sense to exclude them.

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
Okay guys so regarding the movement in social media, I was thinking in something like this:

It's not finished yet, it is just a sketch, but the idea is that Ashley is looking for ingredients to break out the assist trophy cursed. So I'm going to draw her recollecting a little something for each new fighter. What do you think? #AshleyforSmash #BreaktheCursed

That is my first idea that we can share all over social media. Then I want to try to animate her moveset, but I not good with 3D models, so it would be warioware style :3

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just think of all the rules Sakurai has broken thus far. In Brawl he went out of his way to make Smash uncompetitive, now we have a training mode with a grid and launch lines. He repeatedly said Ridley wouldn't work as a fighter, and he was the second newcomer announced.
Remember when a character can't be a hazard and playable? Duck Hunt shows that is way off. (75m is using Cranky Kong's younger form, so it's not a good example)

Remember when a character can't be on a stage and playable? Toon Link, baby.

Fan-made rules should not be taken as gospel.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Okay guys so regarding the movement in social media, I was thinking in something like this:

It's not finished yet, it is just a sketch, but the idea is that Ashley is looking for ingredients to break out the assist trophy cursed. So I'm going to draw her recollecting a little something for each new fighter. What do you think? #AshleyforSmash #BreaktheCursed

That is my first idea that we can share all over social media. Then I want to try to animate her moveset, but I not good with 3D models, so it would be warioware style :3
Please continue to do what you do <3

Remember when a character can't be a hazard and playable? Duck Hunt shows that is way off. (75m is using Cranky Kong's younger form, so it's not a good example)

Remember when a character can't be on a stage and playable? Toon Link, baby.

Fan-made rules should not be taken as gospel.
And lets not forget that ROB was disconfirmed due to being an Enemy in Subspace.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Better luck next time Ashley. On the bright side I finally unlocked Ashley's Pumpkin Panic mini-game in WarioWare Gold and it's by fair the best of the mini-games.

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Hey Ashley thread, friendly visitor from the K. Rool thread here. I hope I'm not rubbing salt in any wounds here, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry that things didn't pan out for you guys during the Direct. I've never really been an Ashley supporter myself, but I've certainly never been opposed to her, either, and I was kind of rooting for her for you guys.

This annoys me more than anything tbh. More than the fact that she got Assist'd. She didn't get a placard. It rubs me the wrong way and really wants me to bring out my tin foil hat
On the topic of Ashley not receiving a placard when she showed up as an Assist Trophy, I noticed that Ashley is also the only AT that showed up during the Direct that isn't listed as an AT on the Smash Bros. website. I hasten to add that this could very well mean nothing at all, since the list is non-exhaustive and specifically includes a catch-all line that says "and more..." at the end of it. (Again, I'm really trying to avoid rubbing salt in wounds or giving false hope or anything.) Even so, this was just something I noticed that I thought might be worth sharing with you guys; as always, it could warrant a tinfoil hat, or it could mean nothing at all. Take it as you will.

Anyway, that's all from me. Hope you all get a win someday soon!

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ashley thread, friendly visitor from the K. Rool thread here. I hope I'm not rubbing salt in any wounds here, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry that things didn't pan out for you guys during the Direct. I've never really been an Ashley supporter myself, but I've certainly never been opposed to her, either, and I was kind of rooting for her for you guys.

On the topic of Ashley not receiving a placard when she showed up as an Assist Trophy, I noticed that Ashley is also the only AT that showed up during the Direct that isn't listed as an AT on the Smash Bros. website. I hasten to add that this could very well mean nothing at all, since the list is non-exhaustive and specifically includes a catch-all line that says "and more..." at the end of it. (Again, I'm really trying to avoid rubbing salt in wounds or giving false hope or anything.) Even so, this was just something I noticed that I thought might be worth sharing with you guys; as always, it could warrant a tinfoil hat, or it could mean nothing at all. Take it as you will.

Heh, that's funny, I was actually the same as you but opposite. My heart was rooting for Ashley, but would have liked a K. Rool inclusion as well, the biggest reason being because I love it when people get happy about their dude getting in. Congratulations on your win dude! You guys earned it ten times over!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think a good chunk of Ashley supporters are also K. Rool supporters, myself being one of them. So it's really been a bittersweet day filled with odd feelings for this thread's population.

I've noticed, and it just wants me to put my tin foil hat even more. I learned my lesson with Ridley last cycle, and rather than think out conspiracy theories that involve Ashley's trailer involve breaking out of Snowglobe jail, I'd rather focus efforts in showing that she is a character that is wanted in Smash in the very slim hopes of getting her in as DLC.

Let the record show that if that conspiracy is true, I want full credit for it.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

I have a feeling Ashley was put there last minute so people knew she wasn't playable. it could point to Nintendo knowing she's popular, but that's just my tinfoil hat speaking. Anyways, thanks for your condolences. I'm really glad K Rool made it. He really deserved a spot, even more than Ashley.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I now have this headcannon of Ashley and Waluigi scheming together to become proper fighters. I'm imagining some Rick Dastardly/Wile E Coyote level stuff

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I now have this headcannon of Ashley and Waluigi scheming together to become proper fighters. I'm imagining some **** Dastardly/Wile E Coyote level stuff
This is just wishful thinking on my part but I always wanted characters that were already in the roster to be Assist Trophies as well that have a chance to pop out if they weren't picked for that specific battle. Like if you were playing Ike Vs. Zelda, you pick up an assist trophy and then Fox jumps out and helps you for a bit. That would be awesome.

Wouldn't it be troll-ishly awesome of Sakurai if at the end of the hype cycle, Waluigi and Ashley get a double trailer together and then Sakurai casually drops that playable characters can be Assist Trophies now!? It'd be hilarious to see yet another popularly accepted fan theory get BTFO like that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The fan made rule that states AT's can't be playable is just begging to be broken!
Well it's not a fan rule, as the Smash Brawl Dojo says:

What’s an Assist Trophy?!

Well, these are characters who appear to aid the fighter that called them forth. Basically, they’re guest characters separate from Smash’s playable roster!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is sort of like a festival that all sorts of characters show up for. Bear in mind, though, that you can’t control any of the characters appearing on these pages. Let there be no mistake about that.

In any case, you won’t know who is in an Assist Trophy until you use it.
Which isn't to say that can't change but it's not like people decided that they wouldn't be playable out of nowhere.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I know you're trying to be helpful and nice, and I appreciate it greatly, but I've been over this earlier: People, do not encourage crackpot theories.
We have seen her in the Direct, at the end of a segment focusing on Assist Trophies where she did not act or react as a fighter. She is an Assist Trophy in the base game, she will be one on release. DLC may be a possibility, but we will not be playing as her on day 1.

Sorry if I'm coming off too harshly or anything, I just think back to the... eccentric portions of the Waluigi fandom when I hear stuff like this, and I would like to think we're above that.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well, this has been a mentally exhausting day. I'm going to bed. The Dawn of a New Day is coming. Not letting this hype train die.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
At least you know that she is still regarded as the second most valuable Wario character after Wario himself... she has come a long way. I remember in the pre-Brawl days, Ashley was nothing but a pipe-dream. Now she is up there as one of the most requested reps. Besides, you never know what DLC can bring.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
This is just wishful thinking on my part but I always wanted characters that were already in the roster to be Assist Trophies as well that have a chance to pop out if they weren't picked for that specific battle. Like if you were playing Ike Vs. Zelda, you pick up an assist trophy and then Fox jumps out and helps you for a bit. That would be awesome.

Wouldn't it be troll-ishly awesome of Sakurai if at the end of the hype cycle, Waluigi and Ashley get a double trailer together and then Sakurai casually drops that playable characters can be Assist Trophies now!? It'd be hilarious to see yet another popularly accepted fan theory get BTFO like that.
If only. That'd be really awesome. At this point I'm desperate

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Better luck next time Ashley. On the bright side I finally unlocked Ashley's Pumpkin Panic mini-game in WarioWare Gold and it's by fair the best of the mini-games.
I got it too (and of course, it was the very last thing in the machine before it sold out), and the game really is in a class of it's own with the gallery unlocks and nuanced gameplay of shooting and pumpkin-kicking for combos. It does have a problem a lot of Gold minigames have in that the diffculty plateaus rather quickly resulting in repetition, but that could easily be fixed if the game was expanded upon.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I think a good chunk of Ashley supporters are also K. Rool supporters, myself being one of them. So it's really been a bittersweet day filled with odd feelings for this thread's population.

I've noticed, and it just wants me to put my tin foil hat even more. I learned my lesson with Ridley last cycle, and rather than think out conspiracy theories that involve Ashley's trailer involve breaking out of Snowglobe jail, I'd rather focus efforts in showing that she is a character that is wanted in Smash in the very slim hopes of getting her in as DLC.

Let the record show that if that conspiracy is true, I want full credit for it.
Snow globe Jail is a pretty nice name for a hashtag.

Also If anyone has Ashley content they want to share on Twitter or instagram, be sure to post it here so we can all share it around. Just one small way to boost her traction.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Is there still a chance this is all one big troll on Sakurai's part? I mean look at the K Rool trailer. Not getting my hopes up but what if she has both a trophy and Character, and the trophy cannot be used if shes in the match, and this is Sakurai's way of forshadowing future DLC of current trophies?

Its a long shot and not getting my hopes up, but possible right?

mouthofxenu

Smash Rookie
Is there still a chance this is all one big troll on Sakurai's part? I mean look at the K Rool trailer. Not getting my hopes up but what if she has both a trophy and Character, and the trophy cannot be used if shes in the match, and this is Sakurai's way of forshadowing future DLC of current trophies?

Anything's possible at this moment. I think it's good to remain hopeful that, even now, something completely unexpected could happen and she gets in. However, don't raise your expectations.

Hope and expectations are two different things. Expectations get fans into trouble because we feel robbed of something we convinced ourselves that we deserved and this can lead to resentment.

Hope is simply a wish. It is the happiness you envision in the future. Try to hold onto hope without tying yourself down to the expectation you will get what you want. This is the healthy way to wear a tin foil hat, so to speak.

We can and should strive passionately for our hopes, but it's important to always remember nothing is certain and risk is part of the spice of life.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

It's possible yes, but super unlikely. It's best not to entertain the conspiracy theories. Showing support is the best we can do.

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
Prepare your tin foil hats
Hmmm this is a leak that came way back

If the "pic related" reffers to k rool, this may be a leak with potential to be true, this even discuss the bayonetta not winning the ballot thing before it was mentioned by sourcegaming.

Also it still bothers me that Ashley didn't have her name and she is not on the website.

Final note. My my look at colors of the chair behind sakurai, what franchise has a main characters with those color ;)

Do not lose hope.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

If the "pic related" reffers to k rool, this may be a leak with potential to be true, this even discuss the bayonetta not winning the ballot thing before it was mentioned by sourcegaming.

Also it still bothers me that Ashley didn't have her name and she is not on the website.

Final note. My my look at colors of the chair behind sakurai, what franchise has a main characters with those color ;)

Do not lose hope.
The "pic related" wasn't for K. Rool.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Do not lose hope.
It lacks Richter and, thus far, none of the assists are in. Please, Let's stop indulging conspiracy theories for now and focus on actual support.

SpookySociopath

Smash Rookie
I just want you all to know that even after that direct, i'm still here supporting Ashley. I'm not giving up so easily!

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
i have one thing I’ve been thinking about all day: why deconfirm Ashley, but not give her a proper deconfirmation? Also, she is, I think the only AT from the direct not on the official site. I think Sakurai knows of her popularity, and could’ve changed his mind. Even if he didn’t, she has an amazing shot at dlc, considering pretty much all of the most highly requested fighters are in (except for Geno and Isaac), and it’s pretty much guaranteed that we will get more for dlc than smash 4, with this one being the ultimate smash game. Her only real competitition for playable AT replace are the likes of shovel knight and zero. So yeah, I refuse to give up hope, even when we get to the last dlc fighters

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
i have one thing I’ve been thinking about all day: why deconfirm Ashley, but not give her a proper deconfirmation? Also, she is, I think the only AT from the direct not on the official site. I think Sakurai knows of her popularity, and could’ve changed his mind. Even if he didn’t, she has an amazing shot at dlc, considering pretty much all of the most highly requested fighters are in (except for Geno and Isaac), and it’s pretty much guaranteed that we will get more for dlc than smash 4, with this one being the ultimate smash game. Her only real competitition for playable AT replace are the likes of shovel knight and zero. So yeah, I refuse to give up hope, even when we get to the last dlc fighters
All the assist trophies they gave a banner with their name were new except for Ashley, which explains why she didn't get one. I have no idea why Sakurai waited until now to disconfirm her when she's so requested. Maybe it was a mistake he was rectifying so we don't get our hopes up.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
All the assist trophies they gave a banner with their name were new except for Ashley, which explains why she didn't get one. I have no idea why Sakurai waited until now to disconfirm her when she's so requested. Maybe it was a mistake he was rectifying so we don't get our hopes up.
Gray Fox got a placard, fwiw.

VillagerX3

Smash Cadet
Midna, Knuckle Joe, Andross, Riki, Waluigi, etc. have their own spot on the Assist Trophy Page, but Ashley isn’t even mentioned anywhere.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I think it's possible that Sakurai slipped in that little Ashley AT reveal because Nintendo was seeing a swelling of Ashley support a little too late, and wanted to let the fans down easy. If that's the case, it would explain why she isn't on the website, as they initially planned to announce her later, but felt it necessary to do so now.

One could call it misguidedly optimistic, but considering how there was a Western explosion of Ashley support post-E3 (at least on this site), there's a glimmer of credence, I would say.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
There is one more thing: Sakurai has slipped in characters after the making the project plan before, examples being wolf, toon link, and jigglypuff in brawl, and just pushed back release date. Just saying this because it could possibly happen again with Ashley after he saw the spike in popularity.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
There is one more thing: Sakurai has slipped in characters after the making the project plan before, examples being wolf, toon link, and jigglypuff in brawl, and just pushed back release date. Just saying this because it could possibly happen again with Ashley after he saw the spike in popularity.
Pretty sure the release date being pushed back was because of Sonic. Not sure if Ashley would be given the same attention as Mario's "rival." Wolf/Jigglypuff/Toon Link were late additions because they don't appear in the story, but I don't think they were what pushed the release back.

Top Bottom