• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
People are going to have to actually Tweet things AT Sakurai for him to notice them (Nintendo's Twitter accounts won't pass these along, especially not NoA,) and right now (as in today) would be an incredibly stupid time to do it because it would be overshadowed by everyone praising him for today's reveals, so maybe in a week after this has cooled down. Saying we're going to do all this is fine and dandy. One of us has to actually stand up, endure the trolling that is 100% going to happen, and make a complete jackhole of themselves to make sure Nintendo notices them.

Saying #Ashleyforsmash in a dozen tweets, even @'d at Sakurai himself, isn't going to do anything. You have to think of this the way a YouTuber does to get their name out: make a non-violent nuisance of yourself. Mention her across multiple tweets, websites, forums, subreddits, do everything you possibly can to make sure people know this character exists without insulting others or doing something to get yourself banned.

(Personally I like the sound of #assistnomore but I don't know how well it would catch on.)

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
People are going to have to actually Tweet things AT Sakurai for him to notice them (Nintendo's Twitter accounts won't pass these along, especially not NoA,) and right now (as in today) would be an incredibly stupid time to do it because it would be overshadowed by everyone praising him for today's reveals, so maybe in a week after this has cooled down. Saying we're going to do all this is fine and dandy. One of us has to actually stand up, endure the trolling that is 100% going to happen, and make a complete jackhole of themselves to make sure Nintendo notices them.

Saying #Ashleyforsmash in a dozen tweets, even @'d at Sakurai himself, isn't going to do anything. You have to think of this the way a YouTuber does to get their name out: make a non-violent nuisance of yourself. Mention her across multiple tweets, websites, forums, subreddits, do everything you possibly can to make sure people know this character exists without insulting others or doing something to get yourself banned.

(Personally I like the sound of #assistnomore but I don't know how well it would catch on.)
Yes, we could always make the account sooner, but wait a week until we put it to use, that way it won’t be overshadowed.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace

Sounds like a plan. I'm gonna comment something along those lines in every video talking about the direct. Also if someone wants to make a video pushing that garbage "Ashley is both playable and an assist trophy" conspiracy, you have my blessing.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So if Ashley were to be a DLC character, anyone think she’d use her WarioWare Gold appearance?

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
King K Rool got a mii costume and made it in. I'm sure Sakurai is aware people want Ashley because she also had one.

I have a feeling time constraints might have been a factor in why she is not on the main roster.

if she were to be DLC, do you think they'll replace her trophy with someone else?

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
So if Ashley were to be a DLC character, anyone think she’d use her WarioWare Gold appearance?
Probably not. Her old design is more well received and iconic then her Gold one, though I do admit that its grown on me.

King K Rool got a mii costume and made it in. I'm sure Sakurai is aware people want Ashley because she also had one.

I have a feeling time constraints might have been a factor in why she is not on the main roster.

if she were to be DLC, do you think they'll replace her trophy with someone else?
I think the timing of the project plan was ultimately what did her in. It only overlapped a few sets of her badges and one theme. Honestly this was always a concern of mine the whole time and didn't want to bring it up.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Nah, I feel that design strays too far from Ashley's normal look. We'd probably get something similar to the assist trophy model.

I doubt it. I'd be a lot easier just to scrap it or leave it in. If they were going to replace it though, I could see another WarioWare character taking over. I could even see them just using a rip off of Ashley's wand. It wouldn't necessarily have to make sense

Hat Kid

Smash Cadet
Don't give up on Ashley! Would Ashley give up on any of us? HELL NO!!! She wouldn't!

We can't hide until Smash 6 to crawl out of the floorboards! Now our friend Ashley is in dire need! We need to help her!

Don't stop supporting Ashley! We can do this! We can get Ashley in Ultimate DLC!
I just want to say man, I really love your attitude. Ever since I first joined I would see you and think “that’s that cool hype guy!”. After today’s Direct, I’m over here all sad with 0% hope, then I see comments like yours and it somewhat starts reigniting my fire for Ashley again. I still believe it is almost impossible. But as others have said, one thing holding her back for being DLC now is the “fan theory” that no Assist Trophy can be DLC. Like I said, I still think the odds of that are almost impossible (in my eyes at least) but there always is a first time for everything. And Sakurai is a really unpredictable guy. So I guess we’ll see. I will always support Ashley 110%.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

In all honesty, her assist trophy effect isn't something that's intrinsically linked to her. I feel she can be easily replaced without any "Content removal" complaints. Like, maybe something like Maple or Syrup from Zelda

mouthofxenu

Smash Rookie
Hey, just got a chance to see the Direct. While I am extremely happy for all the new content revealed, I just wanted to offer my condolences to all Ashley supporters.

Stay hopeful though! I remember believing Ridley was a lock for Smash 4 back in the day. Times like these hurt, but time is also your ally. Defeat will make you stronger and it will make victory even sweeter.

I'm even hopeful that Sakurai may have something in mind for Ashley as a character in Smash Ultimate too. Isn't it odd how she was the only returning assist trophy from Smash 4 specifically shown and the only assist shown without a name? Sure, this could be because Sakurai wanted to rip the bandage off so to speak out of recognition for her popularity, but I'm going to be suspicious of this til the day the game launches.

Most of all, stay positive. I was serious when I said in my support pledge that the Ashley thread really made an impact on me in terms of how congenial the people here are. Something pretty magical happened here and can continue to happen. It's time to get back up and rise from the ashes.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
I just want to say man, I really love your attitude. Ever since I first joined I would see you and think “that’s that cool hype guy!”. After today’s Direct, I’m over here all sad with 0% hope, then I see comments like yours and it somewhat starts reigniting my fire for Ashley again. I still believe it is almost impossible. But as others have said, one thing holding her back for being DLC now is the “fan theory” that no Assist Trophy can be DLC. Like I said, I still think the odds of that are almost impossible (in my eyes at least) but there always is a first time for everything. And Sakurai is a really unpredictable guy. So I guess we’ll see. I will always support Ashley 110%.
Yeah That's the spirit! Being down in the dumps doesn't help anyone! Everyone who said they supported Ashley don't leave! Stay and fight!

AT THE END OF THE DAY THE ONLY THING YOU'LL REGRET IS NOT DOING ANYTHING!!!

If the Rathalos can be a Stage boss AND and AT then what should stop Ashley!

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
You guys are so optimistic. That's pretty awesome.
I was a little bummed that Ashley didn't make it, but the game is looking so incredible so far I couldn't stay upset. Dlc is always a possibility, and I'll probably be supporting her as best as my antisocial introverted self can ^^;

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm even hopeful that Sakurai may have something in mind for Ashley as a character in Smash Ultimate too. Isn't it odd how she was the only returning assist trophy from Smash 4 specifically shown and the only assist shown without a name? Sure, this could be because Sakurai wanted to rip the bandage off so to speak out of recognition for her popularity, but I'm going to be suspicious of this til the day the game launches.
This annoys me more than anything tbh. More than the fact that she got Assist'd. She didn't get a placard. It rubs me the wrong way and really wants me to bring out my tin foil hat

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, it hurts seeing all these reaction videos of people being happy af while I couldn't muster any joy from watching the direct myself.
I was enjoying the Direct quite a lot, right up until the Ashley disconfirmation. It put a real damper on my good mood, and as great as a trailer it was not even the K. Rool reveal was able to truly lift me out of my funk.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Through out the day I've went through the 5 stages of grief. It wasn't fun but I eventually got over it especially after rewatching the direct a hundred times.
I do get stabbed in the heart every time I see an anti Ashley memes that have popped up to shove in our faces that Ashley is still an assist.

I guess next time I back a character for speculation I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I was enjoying the Direct quite a lot, right up until the Ashley disconfirmation. It put a real damper on my good mood, and as great as a trailer it was not even the K. Rool reveal was able to truly lift me out of my funk.
I know exactly how you feel. It hit hard and and the whole day just felt weird. After watching the K Rool trailer a few times, I'm cheering up a bit, but it does hurt. But it doesn't hurt enough to give up and I'm not. I still want to see her get in even if it's DLC. This game is once in a lifetime after all and Sakurai is putting out all the stops.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
My podcast crew were pouring salt in my wounds. I had a break down that was similar to how I behaved after playing Splatoon 2 for 8 hours strait.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Been posting this in Nintendo's Smash and WarioWare videos and will continue to until DLC ends or is confirmed to not happen:

#AshleyforDLC, don't let a good fighter go to waste. There's no rule that says an Assist can't be DLC and even if you believe it can't but still like her, support her! #AshleyforDLC #AshleyinSmashley

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
What makes you say that?
While it sucks Ashley didn't make it, that direct did a great job hyping me up, even though I don't personally care for Simon his move set looks great, and I also like Chrom, and I adore Dark Samus, who I didn't think had much of a shot. Plus the K. Rool trailer at the end was really funny. Hard for me to stay upset even though Ashley was far and away my number 1.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I had another thought. Has anyone tried contacting Ko Takeuchi? I'm sure he'd be happy to see Ashley in Smash. I could see it helping to have an insider at Nintendo support Ashley.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Honestly, I'm impressed with you all: we all took this like mature people and didn't throw a fit or get mad at her being deconfirmed today even long after the direct's conclusion. Sure, there was the right to be disappointed and a bit frustrated when we saw her at the end of the Assist Trophy showcase, but we're all mostly calm and ready to continue supporting her, so I'm proud of you guys for that. :)

Hopefully, I helped contribute to that as I honestly try to stay positive and help others stay positive as much as I can.

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Yes. If nothing else, than to differentiate her from her assist trophy appearance.
I feel like giving her the red eyes back was a last minute decision. Probably to get it closer to being in line with her design in Gold, but not exact.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I think that the main reason Ashley did not make the base roster is because this game seems to be all about legacy picks and easy to make echoes so far.

Besides Inkling who is a mandatory new Nintendo IP. All the other characters have quite a bit of history. Simon Belmont is a classic from the NES era, and Ridley and K. Rool have had serious campaigns since the Melee days.

I think Ashley just came into popularity a bit too recently to match up against characters with 20+ Years of history. However there are not very many of this type of character left, so we can hope the smash team looks at more recent fan demand for DLC picks.

And I mean imagine a Nintendo employee coming onto smashboards just to see that a “deconfirmed” character has over 3 times the replies than the second place newcomer candidate who has nothing going against them. That probably speaks a lot about her support.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Considering 67 or so characters (so far) is a really small piece of the pie of hundreds of Nintendo affiliated characters that didn't make it into smash as playable, it's just something people have to accept without taking personally as if it was some kind of insult to their fanbase. Assist trophies aren't just there to throw shade at the fans, they're legitimate compromises to get characters that for one reason or another aren't in the roster to still participate in the game.
I'm all for showing support when the time comes (ballot and other polls), but pestering Sakurai or Nintendo because of character entitlement is just childish. There are better things to spend your time on.

cj.

Smash Journeyman

Cammy Koopa from Paper Mario could fill that role
Even the Bomberman assist can be replaced with another character from the his franchise!

https://smashboards.com/javascript:void(0);

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Dang. While Ashley wasn't one of my most wanted characters. I honestly was beyind confident that she was going to be playable. Sucks to see her as an assist again. It's unfortunate that happened.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Reggie said that Sakurai would be made aware of the groundswell of support for Waluigi, just gotta have that same groundswell for Ashley. Get those creative types active on the various social media platforms, and get the word out that this is something the community as a whole wants.

Just, ya know, don't resort to harassment like some idiots did.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Reggie said that Sakurai would be made aware of the groundswell of support for Waluigi, just gotta have that same groundswell for Ashley. Get those creative types active on the various social media platforms, and get the word out that this is something the community as a whole wants.

Just, ya know, don't resort to harassment like some idiots did.
It's times like these that I wish I was the creative type.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a quick and hard reminder; harassment will not be tolerated. Do not advocate it. (Just be clear, wanting to work as a team to help petition for it is not the same thing and is fine~)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wish Ashley was playable (same with Mimikyu) but I am glad they made it in the game regardless.
The alternative would be like Isaac in Smash 4 with the assist removed. I'd much rather have this. Hoping we get a newer or more "casual era" Nintendo character as playable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Gotchu fam. No harassment will be encouraged.
Was more to a way earlier post.

But yeah, that kind of stuff is bad. While the whole Waluigi fiasco was overstated(only one person harassed Sakurai), it's bad either way. It also reflects poorly on fans. Like, while there's tons of disarray among fandoms about "what I like" and all, it's nothing compared to this. Fandoms can be toxic too, but having a volatile opinion is nowhere near the same thing as harassment. It's bad too, enough that it can be an issue for this forum that can be dealt with as it comes up(saying this in general. Not calling out any fans, because I haven't seen any of that at all among this thread or lately anyway. And I'm happy about that~).

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
You know what, Sakurai doesn't give a crap about the rules cause he's the one to make them anyways. As stupid and impossible as it sounds I'm gonna hop back on the train and support the Ashley for DLC movement that seems to be forming here.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You know what, Sakurai doesn't give a crap about the rules cause he's the one to make them anyways. As stupid and impossible as it sounds I'm gonna hop back on the train and support the Ashley for DLC movement that seems to be forming here.
All I gotta say is

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
I hope that someone has told Sakurai about the various reactions today so he can finally learn that not all Assist Trophies are beloved and can actually depress fans of a character. Maybe he'll realize to knock that crap off. It's almost as if he knows this, judging by his "He still isn't playable" comment about Waluigi during Miiverse posting last game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom