• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
As someone who supported Ashley, I'm sadden that she got the AT treatment too, I definitely know the pain too well of either having your most wanted characters being Trophies multiple times, or waiting for a character for so long just for them to be a trophy (Lyn, Krystal). But, I'm not giving up on Ashley not when DLC is there, and no one should give up just yet. We still have a chance. There's no official rule say AT's can't promote to playable characters so we'll just have to keep supporting her politely and keep hoping for the best.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Oof, is this thread really going to die? Man, that feels so... weird to me. Less than a day ago I was preparing for the big reveal, and now.... This doesn't feel real to me...

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oof, is this thread really going to die? Man, that feels so... weird to me. Less than a day ago I was preparing for the big reveal, and now.... This doesn't feel real to me...
It's a shame too. From what I hear this was one of the nicer threads.
Well you know what they say, "The good die young".

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
As someone who supported Ashley, I'm sadden that she got the AT treatment too, I definitely know the pain too well of having your most wanted characters being Trophies multiple times (Lyn, Krystal) but, I'm not giving up on Ashley not when DLC is there, and no one should give up just yet. We still have a chance. There's no official rule say AT's can't promote to playable characters so we'll just have to keep supporting her politely and keep hoping for the best.
Technically, that "AT rule" is already broken by Little Mac. Now we need to break it in the same game!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Technically, that "AT rule" is already broken by Little Mac. Now we need to break it in the same game!
It was also broken in a game where DLC wasn't known as remotely possible yet. But really, they're just fan-rules.

The thing about AT's is that he already picked out a role for them in that particular game. He rarely deviates from his plan. This is why many believe in the rule. I don't think the rule is some ironclad thing, but the man is stubborn(it's 100% a fan rule). I'd not get one's hopes up, but it's something that can happen. With many AT's being severely popular, they could see a DLC upgrade. Maybe the idea of a mode where you can play as AT's in a unique battle could happen. Who knows. I'm keeping my expectations in check, of course, but I'd rather not count out anything that he hasn't made clear himself.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame too. From what I hear this was one of the nicer threads.
Well you know what they say, "The good die young".
Yeah, this thread was so wholesome the whole time. Even though I joined in relatively late, I still had a lot of fun here. DLC speculations are months away, so until then, I'm gonna miss this thread so much...

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It was also broken in a game where DLC wasn't known as remotely possible yet. But really, they're just fan-rules.

The thing about AT's is that he already picked out a role for them in that particular game. He rarely deviates from his plan. This is why many believe in the rule. I don't think the rule is some ironclad thing, but the man is stubborn(it's 100% a fan rule). I'd not get one's hopes up, but it's something that can happen. With many AT's being severely popular, they could see a DLC upgrade. Maybe the idea of a mode where you can play as AT's in a unique battle could happen. Who knows. I'm keeping my expectations in check, of course, but I'd rather not count out anything that he hasn't made clear himself.
He rarely deviate from his plan yes. You can see in some assist (mainly Krystal and Knuckles for new AT) that there's still... Some sort of a glimpse of a moveset made for Smash. They were requested characters, too.

Iustinus Tempus

Smash Rookie
I'm curious, is there anyway to get in contact with the Japanese Ashley fanbase so we can work together as a fanbase and a group to get Ashley into Smash?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He rarely deviate from his plan yes. You can see in some assist (mainly Krystal and Knuckles for new AT) that there's still... Some sort of a glimpse of a moveset made for Smash. They were requested characters, too.
Plan for the current game, I mean. Clones usually were the case. Though I think this time around, some are planned out earlier on. Richter had a very heavily worked on trailer CGI, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was decided on as soon as Simon was.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Plan for the current game, I mean. Clones usually were the case. Though I think this time around, some are planned out earlier on. Richter had a very heavily worked on trailer CGI, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was decided on as soon as Simon was.
How long does this thread have before it gets shut down?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How long does this thread have before it gets shut down?
Same time as any thread in these sections. Probably after all DLC is finished.

We don't shut down disconfirmed threads unless the topic owner asks or there's a severe amount of issues that justify it. People being a little salty and/or disappointed is not a reason to shut it down.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly, I don't think an AT becoming a DLC character is realistic, but anything can happen and it would be a shame for all this Ashley support we have build up to go to waste. So if there is a second ballot or whatever, we have to show Sakurai our support!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I do believe that this time, echoes / clones are planed from the start.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm curious, is there anyway to get in contact with the Japanese Ashley fanbase so we can work together as a fanbase and a group to get Ashley into Smash?
I'm curious as to what the reaction was over there.

Same time as any thread in these sections. Probably after all DLC is finished.

We don't shut down disconfirmed threads unless the topic owner asks or there's a severe amount of issues that justify it. People being a little salty and/or disappointed is not a reason to shut it down.
That's good. It would be a shame if this thread had to close when there's still the slimmest possibilities becoming playable existing.

cybersai

Smash Ace
As you guys know, Sakurai changes his mind all the damn time. He didn't want the Villager or Mii's in Brawl because he thought they didn't fit a fighting game, he thought Ridley was too big for a decade until he put him in, he probably only changed his mind of K. Rool recently due to the ballot, and now all of a sudden we're flooded by echoes.

Ashley could still happen in the future. Sakurai changes his mind, or he notices fan support, etc. It's not the end of the world.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
After my two most wanted characters were disconfirmed (Bomberman & Ashley), I guess I'll support Geno
I still feel happy for King K Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus, Simon & Ritcher fans
Yeah, it's still really amazing to see both K.Rool and Ridley being confirmed in the same Smash game (especially K.Rool considering his last appearance is... Smash as a trophy).
Despite the lack of Ashley, we have a great selection of newcomer so far (although I'm not that fond of Chrom I admit), and on top of that, no cuts.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Since a lot of rules had been broken with Ultimate (Third party second fighter today) and the potential DLC there's a little window of hope for every crazy dream, even for a AT-fighter duality thing. But it's difficult, that wall could be hard to broke.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Harassment is not tolerable here. It's not a joke and will be treated as very serious business.
who should we harass?

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I was expecting her to be revealed today, not deconfirmed. Sorry to her hardcore fans for their disappointment. I supported her cause I thought she'd be a unique addition to the roster both in potential and looks.

I honestly wonder if Ashley would be better off striking out from the Wario series and having her own games. I feel she may of garnered more of a following than him and Nintendo could use another Female Protagonist.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
who should we harass?
As bad as it sounds, we need to be as loud as possible if we want Ashley to actually have a shot. So messaging Sakurai or his development team is our best chance. Let em know how determined her fanbase is to get her in. Of course no threats.

Last edited:

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
I honestly wonder if Ashley would be better off striking out from the Wario series and having her own games. I feel she may of garnered more of a following than him and Nintendo could use another Female Protagonist.
If she got her own game, then they would be fools to ignore her again. They can go through with Crazy Galaxy, but the concept for that doesn't really keep her witch aesthetic. AHHHH!!! This is so frustrating. I wonder how Ko Takeuchi feels about this. He probably already knew she wasn't playable, but I'm sure the guy wanted it as much as everyone else.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Like I said in the discord, I think the reason she didn't make it in is that Sakurai probably feels WarioWare doesn't need a second rep unless someone else like Mona or 9-Volt is in.

Euler23

Smash Cadet
Assist trophy. Lame, as she would say.

Oh well, it's been fun. At least there's that mystery mode to look forward to. Congratulations to Simon and the Big Green Tool.

SleepBubble

Smash Rookie
Ashley you were my hype :(

Im still ready for the game to come out but I will miss Ashley a whole bunch. Lets hope for dlc!!

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
So sad AT... and she still has the game and wario look ...
also bad for her and waluigi that their names were not listed while AT were mentioned

so now... next newcomers are Isabelle and a alola pokemon (not decidueye/ lycanroc) ... okay then

Last edited:

Saiko18

Smash Rookie
For the first wave of DLC, Sakurai should release a ballot in which fans can vote for whichever assist trophy they deem worthy of being playable. That would be awesome, lol.

Make it happen Sakurai!

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
For the first wave of DLC, Sakurai should release a ballot in which fans can vote for whichever assist trophy they deem worthy of being playable. That would be awesome, lol.

Make it happen Sakurai!
Sorry, but Ashley's not winning that when you've got the moon Zero, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Waluigi, Color TV-Game 15, and Knuckles

Last edited:

Saiko18

Smash Rookie
It's just an idea. Who's to say she wouldn't have a chance? And what if Sakurai selected multiple characters from the ballot? :p

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Yeah, the competition for DLC is honestly steeper then it was for the base game considering Rex and Spring Man are locks for it, and there are plenty of other Assists to promote, like pik3rob pointed out. Maybe if Warioware Switch comes out at just the right time. Who knows.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Ashley is a popular recurring Nintendo character, she's absolutely above third party secondary characters. It feels even a bit weird to have a character like her alongside other minor AT stuff.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I'm sorry for the loss guys.
She was one of my highly requested characters, but hey, at least she's on the game.
Let's be optimistic for Smash 6 :)

StormC

Smash Hero
Condolences to Ashley fans in this thread. I was hoping for the best. It really does seem like roster competition is tight for unique fighters.

Inkling, Ridley, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool... that's a prestigious list. It's hard to match up to that no matter who you are.

I think she will always have a good shot as long as she remains popular and WarioWare thrives. It's just that this game is a beast unto itself. 'til next time.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So...what do we do now? What's there to talk about? We could keep making movesets for a game that's 10 years away and isn't guaranteed to have the character. I'm trying to figure what more we could discuss before this thread dies.
I guess we can discuss WarioWare representation, campaigning for Ashley, and DLC possibiltities. There's certainly less to talk about, but we can make it work.
Sorry, but Ashley's not winning that when you've got the moon Zero, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Waluigi, Color TV-Game 15, and Knuckles
I doubt any of those besides maybe Waluigi really trump Ashley's popularity. Springman and Rex are real threats though. Hopefully our voice is heard

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
As bad as it sounds, we need to be as loud as possible if we want Ashley to actually have a shot. So messaging Sakurai or his development team is our best chance. Let em know how determined her fanbase is to get her in. Of course no threats.
I wouldn't direct it at the people themselves. Direct it in a way that makes Nintendo notice so that information can be properly forwarded. As long as tantrums aren't thrown, like what a select group of Waluigi fans did, it might be possible to change his mind.

Like I said in the discord, I think the reason she didn't make it in is that Sakurai probably feels WarioWare doesn't need a second rep unless someone else like Mona or 9-Volt is in.
I doubt Sakurai has ever seen it as giving a series another rep. Sakurai does what Sakurai does. It's really always been about the characters. That's why Fire Emblem has 7 characters which, as a whole, poorly represent the franchise. It's the characters that Sakurai represents. Not the series.

Top Bottom