• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I don't believe in secret characters this time. Even secret characters like Duck Hunt had trailers in directs. Keeping him secret would be a huge thing, but at the same time, it would be an error to not exploit the hype he would generate before the release.

For this direct, as said previously on this thread, we can definitely bet on popular in japan characters. Not necessarily the most popular, but a big one still. Ashley and Isabelle are indeed the perfect fits for that, it's similar to Rosalina's reveal I think.
I don't think secret characters will ever be a thing again in Smash, but I agree that I think we'll likely see characters aimed more towards the Japanese audience. E3 was more aimed towards a Western audience, so it made sense to include Ridley then. Ashley and Isabelle do fit the description of "popular in Japan" enough for them to be contenders for playable characters. Ashley as an original character, Isabelle likely as an echo.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
You just know they are going to have a part in her character trailer or website screenshots, of Ashley being picked up by The Badge Arcade Bunnies Claw of doom.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't think secret characters will ever be a thing again in Smash, but I agree that I think we'll likely see characters aimed more towards the Japanese audience. E3 was more aimed towards a Western audience, so it made sense to include Ridley then. Ashley and Isabelle do fit the description of "popular in Japan" enough for them to be contenders for playable characters. Ashley as an original character, Isabelle likely as an echo.
Secret characters is just something that we lose as a whole, not only in Smash. I remember for Mario Kart 8 when the Koopalings had a trailer... We get unlockables instead of secrets now. :) And while I grew up with "getting games without knowing much about it" (oh boy, the day I unlocked Mewtwo in Melee!) revealing the entire cast of characters just make sense with the social media era.

For the direct, Ashley and Isabelle would be the perfect scenario for me. While I obviously would like her as a unique fighter, Isabelle just make sense as an echo to me.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Secret characters is just something that we lose as a whole, not only in Smash. I remember for Mario Kart 8 when the Koopalings had a trailer... We get unlockables instead of secrets now. :) And while I grew up with "getting games without knowing much about it" (oh boy, the day I unlocked Mewtwo in Melee!) revealing the entire cast of characters just make sense with the social media era.

For the direct, Ashley and Isabelle would be the perfect scenario for me. While I obviously would like her as a unique fighter, Isabelle just make sense as an echo to me.
Oh, I agree. Social media has forever killed secrets like that, especially for much hyped games like Smash. Now we get a trailer for every single character.

If you had to twist my arm to make a prediction, I'd probably say Ashley and Isabelle as well with Isabelle being an echo of Villager. I do think we'll see a potential third party character as well, but all bets are off on who that would be.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh, I agree. Social media has forever killed secrets like that, especially for much hyped games like Smash. Now we get a trailer for every single character.
It does have it's pros and cons, it's really interesting to speculate about characters, reveals and such. Since Brawl (for us, as Melee had a japanese only Dojo) it's a staple of Smash. The only difference is that secrets were... Secrets.

If you had to twist my arm to make a prediction, I'd probably say Ashley and Isabelle as well with Isabelle being an echo of Villager. I do think we'll see a potential third party character as well, but all bets are off on who that would be.
I think the third party character - if there's one - would be revealed in another direct. And now I'm just imagining a trailer featuring both K.Rool and Banjo... :)

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
You guys think tonights Smash blog update might drop a clue about the following mornings Direct?

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
You guys think tonights Smash blog update might drop a clue about the following mornings Direct?
Who knows, I don’t think so I’m kinda fine without a hint unless it hints at Ashley being playable.

ToilerMoiler

Smash Apprentice
I'm at a restaurant and the waitress serving my table has black hair and is named Ashley...
IS THIS A SIGN!?!?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I’m gonna predict the direct will show Ashley and dark samus or give us the all star mode from melee and brawl, where characters were ordered by series, not release date

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
give us the all star mode from melee and brawl, where characters were ordered by series, not release date
I expect All Star to be in fighter number order. I don't know if it'll start with Smash Ultimate's newcomers and end with Mario or the other way around, but still.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m gonna go to bed early tonight so that I can wake up early to watch the Direct.

It’s gonna be a hard night to get to sleep but I’m gonna try my best

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
When you go to search for cute Ashley pics and find out they lewd the witch:

Winter Alt Ashley!
Well, if you're referring to Shadman, he only really lewded Red fortunately. His age is at least a little ambiguous, right? (It's still not much better lol)

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm visiting my father in Texas, so the direct is gonna start at 9 for me. Which is perfect since I typically wake up around 8:30.

It's 8 where i am now, I have a few more hours til bed then I get to wake up for Ashley (hopefully) tomorrow!

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I was able to pick up a copy of WarioWare Gold yesterday at Gamestop. I asked the guy how many copies they received he said 2 but they would have received more if people would have reserved which no one did. It makes me a little sad to hear this. It feels like Nintendo is giving up on making WarioWare a big seller when Nintendo is doing a very bad job advertising. I hope we get a NES classic high demand low supply situation after Ashley is revealed tomorrow.

I’m gonna go to bed early tonight so that I can wake up early to watch the Direct.

It’s gonna be a hard night to get to sleep but I’m gonna try my best
I actually feel fairly comfortable about Ashley being revealed tomorrow so I think I'll still sleep well tonight.

I have to go to work tomorrow so I have to wake up anyways but, I will be taking a huge sh*t coincidentally at the same time as the Smash Direct.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was able to pick up a copy of WarioWare Gold yesterday at Gamestop. I asked the guy how many copies they received he said 2 but they would have received more if people would have reserved which no one did. It makes me a little sad to hear this. It feels like Nintendo is giving up on making WarioWare a big seller when Nintendo is doing a very bad job advertising. I hope we get a NES classic high demand low supply situation after Ashley is revealed tomorrow.

I actually feel fairly comfortable about Ashley being revealed tomorrow so I think I'll still sleep well tonight.

I have to go to work tomorrow so I have to wake up anyways but, I will be taking a huge sh*t coincidentally at the same time as the Smash Direct.
I very much doubt Ashley alone will get a lot more people interested in Warioware, in the west at least. The entire cast and wackiness is what makes the series great, not just Ashley.

It's the 3DS. Nintendo seems to be expecting modest numbers for basically anything they put on it at this point. They considered Samus Returns a success even though it's not particularly close to being the best-selling entry (which itself is a "mere" 2.82 million). Of course, digital sales are always something to consider that can't be accurately tracked. Uncomfortable as it may be to admit, and not to discount the effort in making the presentation and original content, but re-using approx. 250 microgames with mainly aesthetic tweaks is a strong sign of cost-cutting. Gold, and most 3DS titles comparitively to other consoles are budget titles that don't need to sell a whole lot to be profitable.

Last edited:

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
Woah 145 pages!!! The Ashley hype is real!!!
Just 12 hours, is going to be 8a.m. for me and I'm going to stay all night because I know I wont be able to sleep. Actually I'm going to prepare a huge breakfast and invite some friends! Maybe cooking is going make the time go fast.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
What do you guys hope her taunts will be any new Ideas?

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I think this is where the hype train is making its stop. Will it arrive safely, or will it crash?

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'm banking on a 50/50 chance for Ashley tomorrow. I can't help but think this is her time, but I have to try and ground myself in reality. In case she gets disconfirmed tomorrow, I have a "special edition" version of my profile picture prepared. If her time truly is now ... well, I'll download her official render as soon as I can and try to throw something together that will make it extra-spicy.

I intend to sleep through these remaining hours so that they'll fly by, but honestly, I don't know how well I'll sleep, as I have that "little kid on Christmas Eve" feeling in my gut right now, haha. On the off chance I sleep like a baby tonight, I have an alarm set for 8:30, which should give me plenty of time to set up for the occasion before 9.

May this fictional character of our choosing be favored by a video game developer on the other side of the world.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This sites moving slower than molasses for me, and I imagine it won't be any better during the stream, so I guess i'll see you lovely people tomorrow after the direct.

I feel like it may finally be Ashley's time to shine, but remember! Even if she isn't revealed tomorrow as long as we don't see her Assist Trophy then the dream lives on!

I hope all our dreams come true tomorrow.

Until tomorrow, i'm out!

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
11 hours left, I've got a good feeling about this Direct you guys!

At least, I hope these feelings come through tomorrow with an Ashley reveal..

Top Bottom