• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm not even going to try to sleep tomorrow. I'm not risking oversleeping and missing it.
I have work, So I gotta sleep. Lulz. I'll just go to bed at an earlier time. Usually go to bed around 1 and waked up sometime before 8. Wanna guarantee I wake up long before 7.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Actually, Shantae and Shovel Knight had more support abroad than Steve did. That, and Steve also had to compete with Banjo Kazooie as far as Microsoft reps go given that according to the Smash Ballot results for Japan, Banjo Kazooie was in the top 10
Don't we not even know the official results?

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Actually, Shantae and Shovel Knight had more support abroad than Steve did. That, and Steve also had to compete with Banjo Kazooie as far as Microsoft reps go given that according to the Smash Ballot results for Japan, Banjo Kazooie was in the top 10
You're talking about Source Gaming's poll where they basically compiled data from how many times characters were mentioned in Japanese forums. Not exactly the most scientific data, nor do they fully reflect ballot results. It's a decent starting point for seeing character popularity in Japan, but not conclusive at all.

I think this is a good time to mention it. One point brought up against Ashley is that since she was an Assist Trophy, she might not have gotten many votes since people didn't think she could be included in Smash 4. But in Japan specifically they specified that the data from the ballot would be used in future titles, so I don't think in Japan at least, her being an Assist Trophy affected her chances much. There's also the Mii Fighter costume, which given the time it was released, could have been done as a direct response to the ballot results.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
There's also the Mii Fighter costume, which given the time it was released, could have been done as a direct response to the ballot results.
Something that was also brought up on this thread if I recall well is how the Mii Costume is one of the few where it doesn't match the Mii fighting style that much: Ashley isn't a swordfighter, The same can apply to Isabelle, Viridi, and also King K.Rool to some extent.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Something that was also brought up on this thread if I recall well is how the Mii Costume is one of the few where it doesn't match the Mii fighting style that much: Ashley isn't a swordfighter, The same can apply to Isabelle, Viridi, and also King K.Rool to some extent.
I think with Ashley it was just so she could hold a staff. Really, it isn't surprising that the costumes don't really fit the characters.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I think with Ashley it was just so she could hold a staff. Really, it isn't surprising that the costumes don't really fit the characters.
It might be notable that they went specifically with a character who didn't fit the role too well, then they have so many swordfighters that would've fit the role much better. They could've gone for a Lyn costume, just as one example.
Or maybe I'm overthinking it. Either way, they still thought that Ashley was a popular enough character that a Mii costume based on her would sell.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Mii costumes are actually very significant imo. Some costumes were added for fun, like the Chocobo outfit or the Flying Man outfit; but I'm certain that some characters were added as costumes precisely because Sakurai was recognizing their popularity but he wasn't able to add them as playable characters. I think that the characters that got a Mii costume have a high chance of making it this time. Not all of them of course, but characters like Isabelle, Ashley and K. Rool... for sure.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
I want to be in the support list!
Dont know why, but I have a hunch for her

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Mii costumes are actually very significant imo. Some costumes were added for fun, like the Chocobo outfit or the Flying Man outfit; but I'm certain that some characters were added as costumes precisely because Sakurai was recognizing their popularity but he wasn't able to add them as playable characters. I think that the characters that got a Mii costume have a high chance of making it this time. Not all of them of course, but characters like Isabelle, Ashley and K. Rool... for sure.
Really hoping this is proven true

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Ashley Support List update: 213 Supporters And growing !
I went back through the last 50 Pages since the last Support list update on page 91 (only one week ago, wow 50 pages in a week :)
If I missed you I'm sorry I'll try to update faster and faster. I'm sending this one to the Topic OP so they Don't miss it. (in Alphabetical order)

8-peacock-8
009deca
actualgarbage
aemehr
angrysun88
anop
anto_oberlin
anubace
arkaizer
ashuree
auscher
aussie the naturist
austarusiv
banjodorf
bestmand902
bksbestbwoy
bornwinner
burigu
calane
camc10
captain shades
caravan of noobs
cardiganboy
catraccoonbl
cheryl~
chocolatgelgato
citruspark
cj.
crap-zapper
crushermania1592
culumon
cybersai
daemondd
darkfalcon
darkfoxteam
decahibiki
deisakuchris
deltasceptile
demonfunds
dezeray112
dilliciouz
dogtooth
domino11332
donkafjord
dr. jojo phantasma
drawcia
drs. falkoopa
dutchpichu
earltamm
echoaegis
ed-boy
erenjager
ericthegamerman
erotic&heretic
the eternal penguin
euler23
famicomdisk
farquadmoses
fisher
flynn__
fooltheflames
freshlybakedcookies
galacticpetey
geoffrey druyts
gerrothorax
gloop898
glowsquid
goodgrief741
gotta
greator
guybrush20x6
harukaamami
hat kid
hylianherobigboss
impa4smash
infinitezest
isaac: venus adept
iustinus tempus
jave
jazzy jinx
jeck
karafuru
kariocean
kenith
kirbeh
kirbyworshipper2465
klimax
kmdp
kool2419
kotor
kumashock
kyon9898
lancerjayden
leehzart
legendary spirit tamer
lichzim
lightdasher
limeth
lisbon mapping
lola luftnagle
lord-zero
lordvaati
louie g.
luminario
mainjpw
makai wars
marvel-otaku-man
mattx20
mediyogurt
meleebrawler
meleemario64
mouthofxenu
mr cotton
mrs.milky
mynameisblade
nap_
neyonel
nimbostratus
nintenplayer
nintenzilla *reboot*
noipoi
nonno umby
nootherpersona
ntdo89
obake
octorox
odnetninages
onua
opossum
oracle_summon
p.kat
papagenos
perfectchaos83
pik3rob
pizza robo
pokémurio
princess_ashley
pryze
pupnapoleon
randomace
ravampt
red dead redeemed
retrometalsonic
rileyxy1
royaru
russell_ssb
saiko18
samcrumpit
sari
sayaka11
scicky
segagameboy
shinylegendary
shotstundave
siddshidds
siggy88
skullkidking
slyshock
sman3579
smashmaster02
smashoperatingbuddy123
smash puffle
smilemasky
sneakylink
snipergabe
snorkel the dolphin
sonicmario
souldin
space detective
spinosaurus
spookysociopath
ssbbdaisy
ssbcandidates
staarih
stormc
strider_bond00j
supersceptile15
superyoshiom
tailstheassassin
takai
takasmash
tct~phantom
thatkidwiththeafro
thephantombrawler
thepsychowolf
thesoldier
thoughtfulwanderer
tjdmhem
toasterbrains
toilermoiler
tony duck
travix man
treebranch
true blue warrior
tumblrfamous
verysleepywolf
villagerx3
wegenbarth
whiteeaglepl
wiredrm
witdamon
wungsten
xenothiumx
xhampi
xman321
xpnc
yellow-spottedblackmagick
yellowlord
yepperspeppers
zabadoo
zoljinx_
zturtle
「hinata」
^Click it 8D

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I agree with this. Mii costume characters have a good shot at being made playable this time, particularly in the cases of Isabelle, Ashley, Geno, and K Rool who I think have the best shot of any Mii costume character to be honest. My thought is that the Mii costumes were Sakurai throwing a bone to the characters who did well in the ballot, but he didn't have the time to make them into a fully playable character and was perhaps keeping them in mind for the next game.

And since Isabelle and Ashley haven't been deconfirmed yet, I say that they both have a good chance of being playable, which could be why they weren't seen with the other ATs at E3.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ashley Support List update: 213* And growing Supporters.
I went back through the last 50 Pages since the last Support list update on page 91 (only one week ago, wow 50 pages in a week :)
If I missed you I'm sorry I'll try to update faster and faster. I'm sending this one to the Topic OP so they Don't miss it. (in Alphabetical order)

8-peacock-8
009deca
actualgarbage
aemehr
angrysun88
anop
anto_oberlin
anubace
arkaizer
ashuree
auscher
aussie the naturist
austarusiv
banjodorf
bestmand902
bksbestbwoy
bornwinner
burigu
calane
camc10
captain shades
caravan of noobs
cardiganboy
catraccoonbl
cheryl~
chocolatgelgato
citruspark
cj.
crap-zapper
crushermania1592
culumon
cybersai
daemondd
darkfalcon
darkfoxteam
decahibiki
deisakuchris
deltasceptile
demonfunds
dezeray112
dilliciouz
dogtooth
domino11332
donkafjord
dr. jojo phantasma
drawcia
drs. falkoopa
dutchpichu
earltamm
echoaegis
ed-boy
erenjager
ericthegamerman
erotic&heretic
the eternal penguin
euler23
famicomdisk
farquadmoses
fisher
flynn__
fooltheflames
freshlybakedcookies
galacticpetey
geoffrey druyts
gerrothorax
gloop898
glowsquid
goodgrief741
gotta
greator
guybrush20x6
harukaamami
hat kid
hylianherobigboss
impa4smash
infinitezest
isaac: venus adept
iustinus tempus
jave
jazzy jinx
jeck
karafuru
kariocean
kenith
kirbeh
kirbyworshipper2465
klimax
kmdp
kool2419
kotor
kumashock
kyon9898
lancerjayden
leehzart
legendary spirit tamer
lichzim
lightdasher
limeth
lisbon mapping
lola luftnagle
lord-zero
lordvaati
louie g.
luminario
mainjpw
makai wars
marvel-otaku-man
mattx20
mediyogurt
meleebrawler
meleemario64
mouthofxenu
mr cotton
mrs.milky
mynameisblade
nap_
neyonel
nimbostratus
nintenplayer
nintenzilla *reboot*
noipoi
nonno umby
nootherpersona
ntdo89
obake
octorox
odnetninages
onua
opossum
oracle_summon
p.kat
papagenos
perfectchaos83
pik3rob
pizza robo
pokémurio
princess_ashley
pryze
pupnapoleon
randomace
ravampt
red dead redeemed
retrometalsonic
rileyxy1
royaru
russell_ssb
saiko18
samcrumpit
sari
sayaka11
scicky
segagameboy
shinylegendary
shotstundave
siddshidds
siggy88
skullkidking
slyshock
sman3579
smashmaster02
smashoperatingbuddy123
smash puffle
smilemasky
sneakylink
snipergabe
snorkel the dolphin
sonicmario
souldin
space detective
spinosaurus
spookysociopath
ssbbdaisy
ssbcandidates
staarih
stormc
strider_bond00j
supersceptile15
superyoshiom
tailstheassassin
takai
takasmash
tct~phantom
thatkidwiththeafro
thephantombrawler
thepsychowolf
thesoldier
thoughtfulwanderer
tjdmhem
toasterbrains
toilermoiler
tony duck
travix man
treebranch
true blue warrior
tumblrfamous
verysleepywolf
villagerx3
wegenbarth
whiteeaglepl
wiredrm
witdamon
wungsten
xenothiumx
xhampi
xman321
xpnc
yellow-spottedblackmagick
yellowlord
yepperspeppers
zabadoo
zoljinx_
zturtle
「hinata」
^Click it 8D
So that looks to be 214 supporters we have as of now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given that, it'd be kinda cool if he somehow added Akira, despite his series not being relevant at the moment. Who knows what could happen, really.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if Ashley isn't revealed tomorrow morning, don't lose hope for her. She could be saved for October as a potential Halloween reveal.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Wow, we're already at 142 pages! We could pass by the K Rool thread in a couple days if it keeps on being active like this. (If Ashley doesn't get announced tomorrow, atleast)

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I don't think Nintendo is going to pull out their big guns for characters this time. As I said in the K Rool thread, I doubt K Rool will be revealed tomorrow. It's too soon for a big character reveal. I think it's likely that they'd still have a popular character, but not one as highly popular as K Rool or Geno. Ashley and Isabelle both perfectly fit that description, especially if we are to believe that this Direct is more Japan-friendly as Ashley is much more popular there. Ashley is a more low key character that many won't expect, but she's obviously still very popular enough to please the fans.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
24 hours exactly left, till we find out for sure if our girls announced. Sleep is going to be tough, but Sleep passes by so many hours that it's worth it just to get to tomorrow quicker hehe.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman

The Ashley-pocalypse is among us! Stay vigilant Ashley fans! She needs our support in her finest hour! Go Ashley!!!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
By this time tomorrow we may know if our little witch is playable or not. It's been fun guys. Whether we end up on the winners side or not, this thread has been great.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
First character reveal since this thread blew up with fans and activity back in June. Can't imagine how explosive it'll be with new comments come tomorrow morning. It'll be fun!

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
You're talking about Source Gaming's poll where they basically compiled data from how many times characters were mentioned in Japanese forums. Not exactly the most scientific data, nor do they fully reflect ballot results. It's a decent starting point for seeing character popularity in Japan, but not conclusive at all.

I think this is a good time to mention it. One point brought up against Ashley is that since she was an Assist Trophy, she might not have gotten many votes since people didn't think she could be included in Smash 4. But in Japan specifically they specified that the data from the ballot would be used in future titles, so I don't think in Japan at least, her being an Assist Trophy affected her chances much. There's also the Mii Fighter costume, which given the time it was released, could have been done as a direct response to the ballot results.
Yeah not as much as the west, but there's still the immediate gratification of trying to get a non assist character as DLC that people considered when voting. I think Sakurai is aware of this and would weigh assist trophy characters differently. With that said, I think Ashley was probably the most popular assist trophy in the Japanese ballot and I hope that this means something to Sakurai's analysis.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
When you add it all up it does all align in Ashley's favor. There is no reason for her not to be added this time.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Man, if there’s ever a time where I feel like quoting Shulk, it’s now.

Top Bottom