• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The little ace pilot of the Helirin swoops in for battle, Kururin for Smash Ultimate!

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Chances are, you're probably sitting there going 'So... who's the bluebird dressed up as a Launchpad McQuack-fanboy?' and I don't blame you for thinking that. But maybe you remember this little guy's helicopter, the Helirin? For those who don't remember, the Helirin appeared as a collectible trophy in Melee and it later made a surprise appearance as an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

About Kururin (for anyone out there who needs a refresher course on who this little guy is)
Kururin is the main protagonist of the titular Kururin games. He is the eldest brother of a VERY large family. He first appeared in the 2001 GBA launch title Kuru Kuru Kururin which released in both Japan Europe (and North America via the Wii U Virtual Console in 2016) and since then, he spawned two more sequels. Another game for the GBA and the other for Nintendo Gamecube.

OK... well, what do you do in his games?
His game is sort of of a puzzle solving adventure where you need to navigate his Helirin over a long corridor of obstacles until you make your way to the finish as quickly as you can. Of course that's easily said than done since the Helirin's spinning propellers move about non-stop, requiring the player to keep moving if they do not want to end up hitting a wall. Not to mention how after three hits you're sent back to the beginning of the level.

Kururin's chances for Smash UItimate.
Obviously, Kururin's chances in regards to being playable in Smash (in general) aren't all that great, especially since his demand for Smash is fairly nonexistent and Nintendo doesn't really show that much love for the handheld side of their characters in terms of them being playable characters. However, the handheld heroes did get some amount of love in the Assist Trophy department and Kururin (Well... okay, his Helirin to be exact) was one of them. I can't say his chances are likely, but Sakurai is aware of his existence, so that's a good thing. Not to mention his latest game. Kururin Squash opened doors for him in terms of moveset potential. (Kururin Squash came out in 2004 however, so if relevancy is something important, it's not on his side.)

Special moves.

* Neutral special: Lazer beams: Kururin can shoot multiple small lazer shots when pressing the button rapidly or charge up and shoot one strong beam right out of it. It's similar to the superscope item. Only the beams are thinner and not round like the Superscope's beam's. Kinda similar to how that one primid enemy shot his lazers from the Subspace Emissary now that I think about it. Oh and if you use the beams too much you will eventually run out and have to wait until it recharges again before you can use it again.

* Side special: Punching glove: He charges up a punching glove and then launches it at an opponent. It can hit opponents who are a small distance away too because of the string attached to it.

* Up special: Tornado: Basically works the same as the tornado's from the Hyrule castle stage from Smash 64. Kururin covers himself up inside a tornado and any opponent who gets in contact with him gets stuck inside and then launched away upwards once he finishes the move. If you use this move while midair, Kururin can also gain some height so it also works as a recovery move.

* Down special: Flamethrower: Basically similar to Bowser and Charizard's flamethrower. Only Kururin can't really control the angle he shoots the flame's from his flamethrower.

Smash attacks.

* Side smash: He does a quick peck attack against his opponent.

* Up smash: He does a small jump and then claps the air upward in order to hit any opponents from above.

* Down smash: Kururin does a quick spin to hit any opponents from both sides.

Final smash.

Well, there's no other FS better suited for Kururin than the one that already made it into Brawl. Of course I'm talking about the Helirin.

Obviously with a few new features included, such as:

* The Helirin is slightly bigger than it was in Brawl.

* This time around, you can actually control the Helirin in any direction you like instead of watching it move around aimlessly (duh).

* You have the ability to change it's direction of spinning whether it goes clockwise or counterclockwise, just press A to do so. If you want it to move in a certain direction from the very beginning be sure to face the side you want it to move in. Basically face right if you want it to go clockwise and left if you want it to go counterclockwise.

* If you want to attack press the B button in order to make it do a quick spin in order to shake your opponent away. Useful when your opponent manages to get themselves on top of the Helirin.

Kururin's other animations.

* Kururin has the ability to make multiple mid-air jumps.
* Kururin has the ability to glide.
* In idle animations he might occasionally cross his wings together and look a little bored and sometimes he may even spread his wings making himself look like he wants to fly.

Taunt's

* Up taunt: Kururin jumps up and down of joy.
* Left taunt: Kururin puts his wing above his head and looks around as if he's looking for something.
* Right taunt: Kururin spins around for a bit before getting a little dizzy.

Victory poses

* Kururin jumps about of joy and flies.
* Kururin sits down and sights in relief showing that he got exhausted of the battle.
* Kururin jumps and then gives a thumbs up for the player.
* His victory theme would be the first five seconds in this song.

Kururin's Birdy Buddies
smashkirby
CuriuosVillager

TheVillagerDucky
GoodGrief741
johno1995
Zabadoo
Wario Wario Wario

Last edited:

TheVillagerDucky

Smash Rookie
I've wanted Kururin in the game for SO LONG! I'm happy somebody is acknowledging the character exists, and the moveset you made for them is so creative and fun.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've wanted Kururin in the game for SO LONG! I'm happy somebody is acknowledging the character exists, and the moveset you made for them is so creative and fun.
Well, as I've said... the OP is still a HUGE W.I.P. That moveset wasn't made by me, but by my friend, Curious Villager Curious Villager . I guess I'd better take care of that now...

BTW, would you like to be on the support list?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes. Yes yes yes. I am so behind the idea of this guy being in Smash, even though I don’t know how it would work. So much yes.

Edit: saw the moveset, it’s actually pretty neat, especially the Final Smash.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yes. Yes yes yes. I am so behind the idea of this guy being in Smash, even though I don’t know how it would work. So much yes.

Edit: saw the moveset, it’s actually pretty neat, especially the Final Smash.
I take it I can add you to the support list?

Also, please thank Curious Villager Curious Villager for the moveset! They came up with it, not me.

johno1995

Smash Cadet
Sign me up! Kururin Squash is, indeed, one of the best GameCube games out there.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, gang! Figured I'd give this thread a bump. Also, while Kururin and his Helirin don't return as an AT, they DO appear as a Spirit! That said, does anyone know how to acquire their Spirit?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Hey, gang! Figured I'd give this thread a bump. Also, while Kururin and his Helirin don't return as an AT, they DO appear as a Spirit! That said, does anyone know how to acquire their Spirit?
I found him on the spirit board

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Hey, someone made a Kururin support thread! Awesome!

I've had Kuru Kuru Kururin on the Wii U for a few years now, so I'm aware of who the character is. But I bought Kururin Paradise on eBay last year, and I gotta say, it was one of the only games last year that truly made me feel like a kid again. I was so excited about playing that game that I brought my Game Boy Micro to school with me and played it during my off time, haha.

The odds of Kururin ever being so much as called by name in a Smash game are incredibly slim, but if the franchise ends up making some epic resurgence, becoming an international hit, and getting into Smash, know that I will be ecstatic!

Would you put me on the support list, please?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If my memory serves you are absolutely right
Chalk one up for me, then!:grin:

Hey, someone made a Kururin support thread! Awesome!

I've had Kuru Kuru Kururin on the Wii U for a few years now, so I'm aware of who the character is. But I bought Kururin Paradise on eBay last year, and I gotta say, it was one of the only games last year that truly made me feel like a kid again. I was so excited about playing that game that I brought my Game Boy Micro to school with me and played it during my off time, haha.

The odds of Kururin ever being so much as called by name in a Smash game are incredibly slim, but if the franchise ends up making some epic resurgence, becoming an international hit, and getting into Smash, know that I will be ecstatic!

Would you put me on the support list, please?
Oh, really? That's great! By the way, if you happen to have any ideas you'd like to share in regards to Kururin (considering how you've already played a few of his games and all) please feel free to share them! Also, I agree with you that the chances of Kururin appearing in Smash (as a playable character) are... INCREDIBLY slim, but we shouldn't lose hope! One day, we'll get our dues!

Heck, I feel that we should all be grateful for the fact that Kururin appears as a Spirit in Smash Ultimate, thus giving him some sort of a meaningful role after his... questionable appearance as an AT in Brawl and straight-up absence from Smash 4.

By the way, you're on the support list! So congrats!

Also, guys... I'll admit that this is a bit of a shameless plug, but would you all take care to look into one of my other threads?

Specifically, it's for Alice from Balloon Kid. It could sort of use the attention...
https://smashboards.com/threads/its...oine-alice-from-balloon-kid-for-smash.454426/

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Chalk one up for me, then!:grin:

Oh, really? That's great! By the way, if you happen to have any ideas you'd like to share in regards to Kururin (considering how you've already played a few of his games and all) please feel free to share them! Also, I agree with you that the chances of Kururin appearing in Smash (as a playable character) are... INCREDIBLY slim, but we shouldn't lose hope! One day, we'll get our dues!

Heck, I feel that we should all be grateful for the fact that Kururin appears as a Spirit in Smash Ultimate, thus giving him some sort of a meaningful role after his... questionable appearance as an AT in Brawl and straight-up absence from Smash 4.

By the way, you're on the support list! So congrats!

Also, guys... I'll admit that this is a bit of a shameless plug, but would you all take care to look into one of my other threads?

Specifically, it's for Alice from Balloon Kid. It could sort of use the attention...
https://smashboards.com/threads/its...oine-alice-from-balloon-kid-for-smash.454426/
Awesome! And if I come up with anything, I'll make sure to let you know. I've been meaning to get around to playing Kururin Squash, but since that will entail purchasing an entirely new console, it's been on the back burner for a while. But from what little I've seen of the game, it probably would serve as a treasure trove of moveset ideas, what with the Action Helirins, and all.

I suppose the Spirit's better than nothing. And I shouldn't expect much else, considering the series was Japan-only for two of its three installments. But maybe the success of the Switch will see a mass resurrection of dormant Nintendo IPs, as Nintendo will feel more confident in taking risks.

...Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

Also, I'll have to check out your Alice thread when I get a chance. I do like me some Balloon Fight, haha.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Awesome! And if I come up with anything, I'll make sure to let you know. I've been meaning to get around to playing Kururin Squash, but since that will entail purchasing an entirely new console, it's been on the back burner for a while. But from what little I've seen of the game, it probably would serve as a treasure trove of moveset ideas, what with the Action Helirins, and all.
Well, thank you! Maybe you could tell us how your playthrough of Kururin Squash goes. I've been wondering myself how those Action Helirins work...

I suppose the Spirit's better than nothing. And I shouldn't expect much else, considering the series was Japan-only for two of its three installments. But maybe the success of the Switch will see a mass resurrection of dormant Nintendo IPs, as Nintendo will feel more confident in taking risks.

...Well, a guy can dream, can't he?
After all the revisions and additions to Switch's Virtual Console (let's be honest, that what the Online Service pretty much is) is definitely leaning towards this possibility...

Also, I'll have to check out your Alice thread when I get a chance. I do like me some Balloon Fight, haha.
Please do!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I would love Kururin in Smash, but I'm not sure what he'd do... I was thinking either a Helirin with retractable propellers or an original moveset a la Captain Falcon and Fox based on bird-y things, like pecking the ground, flying, sliding like a penguin, e.t.c.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would love Kururin in Smash, but I'm not sure what he'd do... I was thinking either a Helirin with retractable propellers or an original moveset a la Captain Falcon and Fox based on bird-y things, like pecking the ground, flying, sliding like a penguin, e.t.c.
Sorry for the late reply!

Anyways, all of that sounds like pretty good ideas! In fact, I was also thinking of something similar where Kururin would attack similar to the duck of the Duck Hunt team (attacking with his beak, wings, etc.). I'm still having trouble myself on just how the little guy could incorporate his Helirin into his moveset...

BTW, Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario ... I take it I can add you to the support list?

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
It'd be cool to see Kururin get the spotlight over the Helirin, but at the same time, I can't see a world where he doesn't heavily utilize the Helirin. Then again, the proportions of the Helirin would be a problem...

Kururin basically dances this line of "in need of an original moveset" and "a completely unique character", haha.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sorry for the late reply!

Anyways, all of that sounds like pretty good ideas! In fact, I was also thinking of something similar where Kururin would attack similar to the duck of the Duck Hunt team (attacking with his beak, wings, etc.). I'm still having trouble myself on just how the little guy could incorporate his Helirin into his moveset...

BTW, Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario ... I take it I can add you to the support list?
sure thing!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It'd be cool to see Kururin get the spotlight over the Helirin, but at the same time, I can't see a world where he doesn't heavily utilize the Helirin. Then again, the proportions of the Helirin would be a problem...

Kururin basically dances this line of "in need of an original moveset" and "a completely unique character", haha.
Yeah, Kururin is quite an unusual case when it comes to making a moveset. Then again, Captain Falcon and the Star Fox characters have proven that, outside of their vehicles, they can have relatively coherent movesets. Kururin probably won't be any different.

sure thing!
Well then... congrats! Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , you're officially on the support list!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys! Been a while, huh? Do you all think someone like Kururin has a shot at being one of the additional DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass?

Top Bottom