• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Level Up Episode 1: Applying Safe Pressure Primer

It's time to level up! It's not as easy as eating a rare candy however. To really improve in Smash there are some thingsto be learned first. Fortunately players like BAM on his channel For Glory Gaming are making videos to help players do just that. In the first video of The Level Up series he sits down to explain how to apply pressure safely while learning the defensive habits of an opponent. Give it a watch and use this knowledge to improve!

Last edited:

Comments

It's time to level up! It's not as easy as eating a rare candy however. To really improve in Smash there are some thingsto be learned first. Fortunately players like BAM on his channel For Glory Gaming are making videos to help players do just that. In the first video of The Level Up series he sits down to explain how to apply pressure safely while learning the defensive habits of an opponent. Give it a watch and use this knowledge to improve!

Do you want to play a sheik or a lucario main (me) because I need to train for my first tournament.

Great video, I like the editing. Slow down the text (or shorten the amount of text) and your video is going to be much easier to watch. Nobody wants to pause and read every time something shows up.

Nice tips

A little too fast, but it raises some important points for sure. This stuff is basically what's stopping me from beating the best of the best on For Glory. I've got control over my character, and I put myself in my enemy's shoes, but I need to be able to safely condition and apply pressure to my opponents. You know, rather than guessing at what my opponent will probably do given what's happened throughout the match or set of matches. That's my ceiling right now and this video is helpful because it helps me put that concept into words :).

Last edited:
Not the true BAM. The true BAM is a falco main from Quebec... Vwins old training partner.

Refer to this guy as 4GG_Bam please, don't imply that he's BAM when he's not. Bam is a god at smash, this guy is not. Thanks.

Great information, certainly helping me see the game at a deeper level than I'm used to. A few others have said it already, but you'll have a great series if you slow down the text a bit - and try not to demo something as soon as the text changes. Looking forward to what you've got next!

considering this is a first of a series, there's bound to be a few things that could use adjustment... others have already addressed the text issue. I'd probably suggest having longer periods for us to read it. trying to summarize this kind of information would be a bit too difficult without leaving something out.

perhaps as a suggestion, but when you do a demonstration of an example, do you think you could do a brief playback in slow motion while explaining it? it would certainly help give a visual idea of what you mean.

on an unrelated note, I also recognized a few of those sound effects... I believe a couple were from the original Ape Escape.

Last edited:
Yeah becasue "shield presure" sounds better than shield pokes, something that can happen by accident, if someone do a cuestionable decision and get punish is not pressure is just a punish.

Defensive options in this games are strong, and using powershield to counterattack is not that hard (buffer), there's no real frame traps in the game (maybe sheik have no of those).

I notice that sm4sh players change the terminologys all the time.

Oh my god. That was so hard to watch. Give your readers more than 2-3 seconds to read a paragraph of text. If you pause it in this window, the damn youtube text at the top does not fade ever, so essentially I had to rewind every 3 seconds over and over.

But good points other than that critically annoying editing issue.

Next time use smash terms like down tilt instead of crouching nevertheless good video.

Last edited:
Smash capps can you provide the link to the video i can't view the embedded YouTube videos they lag way to much on my phone i pretty much can only use my YouTube app thank-you!
Also im trying to search for the video right now and I can't find it WTF exact title in YouTube search bar and it's not showing up lol

This video was very informative, though I'll admit that some of the terminology used threw me off somewhat. I'll also admit that it's somewhat hard for me to properly space and/or follow through with pressuring (compacted further in that my primary character is Robin). As much as I tend to dislike the "competitive" community, this video was something good that came out of it.

Don't give him any attention. He hasn't commented on the content or delivery of the video itself, so that should tip you off as to his intentions.

Top Bottom