• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Hungry Wolf - Terry Bogard Social Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, haven't posted in this thread before but I wanted to share some of my Terry hype before the presentation tomorrow.

I was introduced to Terry and the rest of the SNK fighters quite a few years ago in CVS2, one of the many fighting games in my friends Dreamcast stash (I'd played Metal Slug before though). I was initially in it for the Street Fighter characters, as I didn't really know anything about the SNK cast. What I shortly came to know, however, was that lots of the SNK characters looked really cool: some of my favorites were Kim, Kyo, Iori, and, obviously, Terry.

From there, we played some KoF2002 and, eventually, Garou (also, I suppose you could count MUGEN lol). Through it all, Terry quickly became one of my favorite fighting game characters, thanks to his rad design and obnoxiously-quotable voice clips.

About a year ago, I read the Sakurai interview where he discusses his KoF story and messaged one of my friends something to the effect of "Hey, Sakurai used to play KoF, and Nintendo and SNK are on pretty good terms now. You think Terry could be in Smash?"

In all honesty, I didn't. The message was less of a "I think Terry has a legit chance," and more of a "Hey, wouldn't that be cool?" Yet here were are, within hours of his presentation and possible release.

When I saw Terry Bogard, SNK, and Smash Bros trending next to each other, I was sure it was some kind of bull****. But sure enough, the SNK copyright was there for all to see. The hype in my fighting game-centric friend group was legendary: we speculated many potential SNK candidates (most of them would've been cool), but deep down, we all knew it was going to be Terry.

When that trailer started with the Neo Geo intro, I lost my ****. The amount of callbacks and references in that trailer is staggering: I'd go as far as to say it's one of my all-time favorite fighting game trailers. Plus, they made Terry look so good! This is probably the best he's ever looked in 3D.

Not sure how to end this, but I hope you guys are as excited for Terry as I am lol.

Here's a brief wishlist:

- I hope he has the Garou jacket alt. I've seen lots of people suggest the SNK Heroines alt (which I wouldn't complain about lol), but the jacket has more legacy behind it. Plus, it just looks so cool.

- I hope he has lots of solid tracks. I made a massive list of potential tracks in another thread, but the tracks I want the very most are Big Shot, Blue Mary's Blues, A Kiss for Geese (which is basically a given lol), any Kim theme, and Spread the Wings.

I think that's about it. Can't wait to see him in action!

D

Deleted member

Hey all, haven't posted in this thread before but I wanted to share some of my Terry hype before the presentation tomorrow.

I was introduced to Terry and the rest of the SNK fighters quite a few years ago in CVS2, one of the many fighting games in my friends Dreamcast stash (I'd played Metal Slug before though). I was initially in it for the Street Fighter characters, as I didn't really know anything about the SNK cast. What I shortly came to know, however, was that lots of the SNK characters looked really cool: some of my favorites were Kim, Kyo, Iori, and, obviously, Terry.

From there, we played some KoF2002 and, eventually, Garou (also, I suppose you could count MUGEN lol). Through it all, Terry quickly became one of my favorite fighting game characters, thanks to his rad design and obnoxiously-quotable voice clips.

About a year ago, I read the Sakurai interview where he discusses his KoF story and messaged one of my friends something to the effect of "Hey, Sakurai used to play KoF, and Nintendo and SNK are on pretty good terms now. You think Terry could be in Smash?"

In all honesty, I didn't. The message was less of a "I think Terry has a legit chance," and more of a "Hey, wouldn't that be cool?" Yet here were are, within hours of his presentation and possible release.

When I saw Terry Bogard, SNK, and Smash Bros trending next to each other, I was sure it was some kind of bull****. But sure enough, the SNK copyright was there for all to see. The hype in my fighting game-centric friend group was legendary: we speculated many potential SNK candidates (most of them would've been cool), but deep down, we all knew it was going to be Terry.

When that trailer started with the Neo Geo intro, I lost my ****. The amount of callbacks and references in that trailer is staggering: I'd go as far as to say it's one of my all-time favorite fighting game trailers. Plus, they made Terry look so good! This is probably the best he's ever looked in 3D.

Not sure how to end this, but I hope you guys are as excited for Terry as I am lol.

Here's a brief wishlist:

- I hope he has the Garou jacket alt. I've seen lots of people suggest the SNK Heroines alt (which I wouldn't complain about lol), but the jacket has more legacy behind it. Plus, it just looks so cool.

- I hope he has lots of solid tracks. I made a massive list of potential tracks in another thread, but the tracks I want the very most are Big Shot, Blue Mary's Blues, A Kiss for Geese (which is basically a given lol), any Kim theme, and Spread the Wings.

I think that's about it. Can't wait to see him in action!
Long write up, but yeah...

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I'm about to head to bed, so I can't wait to wake up and see the Legendary Wolf in action. I'm sticking with my prediction of Terry getting a new trailer at the start of the presentation and Sakurai explaining about SNK, Fatal Fury, and the King of Fighters. Night everyone!

D

Deleted member

Alright, so I'm about to head to bed, so I can't wait to wake up and see the Legendary Wolf in action. I'm sticking with my prediction of Terry getting a new trailer at the start of the presentation and Sakurai explaining about SNK, Fatal Fury, and the King of Fighters. Night everyone!
Good night for you then.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
It was around the same time as Hero's iirc, or do you mean the length? Someone's saying Famitsu's claiming Terry's bringing 80 ****ing tracks with him so that's explain it
Wait, what!? 80 music tracks? It may mean other SNK series as well.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It wound up meaning 80 tracks were used in one single composition.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
It was around the same time as Hero's iirc, or do you mean the length? Someone's saying Famitsu's claiming Terry's bringing 80 ****ing tracks with him so that's explain it
then that's even weirder considering banjo's was at 5:30 PM For me and i know Joker's overview trailer dropped in the evening......is this because people outside japan likely wouldn't care as much about these two characters?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Oh my god, his Final Smash is his three Super Moves in one! And he has Super Special Moves outside that too!

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
"Mai wasn't a cameo because smash is for good boys and girls"

sooo basically if you are dressed sexy then "LOL You don't even get to be a simple background character"

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I was certainly not expecting Terry to have a Back-Special in addition to a Front-Special. Also, it sort of looks like I predicted the Desperation Moves being a part of Terry's moveset, albeit it's under a different name. Overall, Terry looks good.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So we agree that that was awesome, right?
It was pretty good, though the ending was rather abrupt and I feel like playing through Terry's entire classic mode was a little unnecessary. (though Sakurai's disappointment at not being able to finish his playthrough with a super move was pretty funny) Still, fifty songs is downright insane!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The King of Fighters Stadium is looking pretty legal to me thus far.

It deceptively looks like a walk-off, but the Fatal Fury walls make walk-off tactics impossible. Though I'm not sure as to how it would impact gameplay or its legality. And it looks to be a decent size to me. We'll have to wait for Terry to come out to see if the blast lines are a good enough size, too.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Terry is excellent. Really clever use of both Burn Knuckle and Crack Shoot for his side specials, and he might be easier to play than the shotos because of his tilts not having extra properties when held down. Those 50 tracks are mindblowing as well. Can’t wait to start playing him.

Also, of all the characters they could’ve used for a KOF Mii costume, I’m glad they picked my boy Iori. The only Mii costume I’m going to buy.

Really appreciate how much time Sakurai spent schooling zoomers on SNK’s rich history.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
ff3mai-2.png

They probably could have just used this design for Mai and gotten away with it, just saying.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Thoughts:
  • Holy **** that was good. You can really tell the amount of dedication is put into Terry's pack.
  • Unfortunately, we didn't get his Garou alt. As for Fatal Cutie, I'm not sure why a very small minority of people thought she would be an alt for Terry.
  • Mai Shiranui didn't make a cameo despite being very well known. Makes sense since she isn't really the most age-appropriate character, design-wise.
  • As expected, input-based moves. Wasn't expecting both a forward special and a back special.
  • Buster Wolf being part of one of his specials and his final smash? I AM OKAY!
  • Kinda figured his classic mode route would be based on KoF.
  • Wasn't expecting twenty guests in the background. The amount of detail is insane.
  • FIFTY. SONGS. Fifty songs throughout the SNK games in a $5.99 pack is a huge steal.
  • Spirit board looks nice. Geese being a legend-class spirit is... PREDICTABO!
  • Excellent attention to detail in the presentation.
I can't wait for Terry to come later today so I can the ultimate Engrish matchup between him and Captain Falcon.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
50 music tracks and 20 cameos! This is very solid! SNK spoiled us. I'm just a little bit sad Nakoruru is not a cameo. Other than that this is a very solid DLC pack.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The update is out now, by the way.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Aside from the lack of a Garou alt and a Kyo mii costume, I was very satisfied with what we got. 50 songs is insane.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
The Banquet of Nature remix is absolutely incredible (As with most of the 50 songs in this pack)

Firox

Smash Master
just feels odd she got left out and the only reason was "Boobs!...Smash is For Little Children And Men Without Girlfriends"
Didn't you know? It's 2019. Curvaceous bodies are of the devil now. Even fully clothed ones. LOL I love how the moral of the story is that nudity/partial nudity is bad but violence is A-OK.

"Oh my gosh, that guy just got blown into bloody meat chunks! How graphic!"
"But he was fully clothed, wasn't he?"
"Yeah....yeah, you're right. Never mind then."

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I fought the Geese Spirit Battle. It was tough, sure, but fun. Critical Fast Final Smash Meter was not what I was expecting, but I'll take it.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So I fought the Geese Spirit Battle. It was tough, sure, but fun. Critical Fast Final Smash Meter was not what I was expecting, but I'll take it.
Took me a couple tries to do that one. The spirit battle involved a very aggressive CPU opponent, which makes sense because that spirit battle is supposed to be based on an SNK boss fight.

Top Bottom