• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Hungry Wolf - Terry Bogard Social Thread

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Terry Bogard
Terry-kofxiv.jpg

Final Concept of Terry in KoFXIV.

Who is Terry Bogard?
Terry_Bogard_(Mark_Of_The_Wolves).jpg

Terry in Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Terry Bogard is the main protagonist of the fighting game series, Fatal Fury, and one of the reoccurring characters in the crossover fighting game, King of Fighters. He is one of the most popular characters of SNK and is considered one the company mascots. He's a friendly dude who doesn't want to bear ill will against people. He lost his foster father (from whom he got his last name from) at the hands of Geese Howard. Ever since, he's picked up mixed martial arts training (including from his foster dad's master, Tung Fu Rue) and some street fighting to avenge his foster father. He also has a brother named Andy Bogard. A female version of Terry exists in SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy.

What can Terry do?
Terry Bogard in a combo video for KoFXIII
Terry has a mixture of martial arts and street fighting as his fighting style. He also picked chi/ki manipulation from Tung Fu Rue which he can use to power his existing attacks or utilize in projectiles and bursts. Such famous attacks from his arsenal are the physics defying "Rising Tackle", a charging chi infused punch "Burning Knuckle", a ground skating energy projectile known as "Power Wave", a jumping punch named after his fondness of basketball "Power Dunk", and more. Being a fighting character makes him somewhat easy to imagine how he'd fight in Smash.

Terry is from SNK and not Nintendo. Has he been on Nintendo platforms?
Terry sure did. His debut game originally was on Neo Geo platforms, but were ported to the SNES. Since then, many appearances in Fatal Fury and King of Fighters has made it on to many Nintendo platforms later on, including Gamecube, DS, GBA, the Nintendo Switch and more. It's very safe to say Terry is no stranger to Nintendo platforms and same goes for crossovers in general.

Music and Stage Ideas
Terry is going to need a stage if he's coming in with a new franchise. I suggest one of two areas; South Beach directly on it in the fictional US town or Keystone, USA on the train.

Here's some songs from King of Fighters and Fatal Fury to help go with the stages

Fatal Fury 2/Special - Terry's Theme (Kurikinton)
Fatal Fury 3 - Big Shot!
Fatal Fury Special - Soy Sauce for Geese (Geese Howard's Theme)
King of Fighters '98 - Esaka (Team Japan's Theme)
King of Fighters XIII - Wild Street (Team Fatal Fury's Theme)
King of Fighter XIV - Departure from South Town (Team Fatal Fury's Theme)
Fatal Fury Wild Ambition - 11th Street (Terry Bogard's Theme)
King of Fighters 2002 Ultimate Match - Sun Shine Glory (Team Fatal Fury's Theme)

Pro's or things going for Terry.

• Nintendo familiarity isn't an issue, here.
  • Easily one of the most recognizable characters of Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, and the company itself.
  • Easy moveset options make him less likely to have design issues.
  • Someone in SNK is willing to see a character from the company in Smash.
Con's or things going against Terry.

• Terry has competition in Kyo Kusanagi, a KoF original character, and is close in popularity to Terry.
  • His moveset does involve martial arts and chi moves, they have been seen before with Ryu and Lucario which isn't a 100% unique concept.
  • Nintendo original characters do have higher priority.
Middle Ground aspects that need attention.

• We don't really know of SNK's willingness to contribute to Smash or the Smash devs/Sakurai's opinion on the company
  • We don't know if SNK's return to relevancy actually has an impact or not.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
This would be pretty epic. How likely it is I don't know, but throwing that BUSTAH WOOOOOLF around would be cool. I support.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Terry is the best Fatal Fury character and my main for a long time.

I support.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support. Easily the best SNK candidate and would be a great way to appeal to the Latin America/Chinese fanbase since SNK games are extremely popular there. Since Geese appeared in Tekken I think Terry has a good chance as far as third party characters go. A few songs I would add:

Fatal Fury 2: Pasta (Andy's Theme)
Garou: Spread the Wings (Rock Howard's Theme)
Garou: Sunrise on the Train (Terry's Theme)
Garou: Too Honest (Kim Jae Hoon's Theme)
KoF 2000: Terry 115 (Fatal Fury Team Theme)

His stage would definitely be either the train or Geese's Tower.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like he'd work really well for an SNK character - he'd be a lot of fun with his over-the-top pseudo-English (R U OK? BUSTA WOLF!! POWAH GEEZA! CRACK SHOOT! etc.), and he'd make for a great contrast with Ryu - one's a disciplined and serious martial artist, while the other is a loud and energetic street brawler. I'd definitely like to see him included!

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
If Terry does get in, I can almost guarantee that Terry throwing his hat with his back towards the camera is one of his victory animations.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support Terry Bogard to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate as SNK character :D

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Terry confirmed for Fighting EX Layer!

This along with Geese in Tekken and Mai in DoA definitely shows that SNK is trying to spread their brand across games. I wonder if SNK would be ok with him appearing in Smash.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Terry confirmed for Fighting EX Layer!

This along with Geese in Tekken and Mai in DoA definitely shows that SNK is trying to spread their brand across games. I wonder if SNK would be ok with him appearing in Smash.
It seems like they would be okay with it. But, that up to Masahiro Sakurai and team whether he's in or not, and that's counting DLC.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I made a potential moveset for Terry:

:GCA::
-->

Starts with a jab but ends with a small uppercut.

Side :GCA::

Decent poke with a fair amount of horizontal knockback.

Up :GCA::

Quick anti-air.

Down :GCA::

Dash attack:

Sends the opponent horizontally.
Aerial :GCA::

Quick aerial, nothing else to say.

Aerial side :GCA::

Decent length kick with a fair amount of knockback. The backwards version would have more knockback.

Aerial up :GCA::

Only the kicking part. Would have multi hits.
Aerial down :GCA::

Spikes the opponent similar to Ryu's aerial down A.
:GCB::

Power Wave: Fast projectile but can only travel on the ground.
Side :GCB::

Burn Knuckle: Pauses for a bit and then launches himself forward similar to Captain Falcon's side B. If used in the air he'll enter freefall afterwards.
Up :GCB::

Power Dunk: Great diagonal recovery. Using the move next to someone will send them upwards so they'll almost always get hit by the second hit.

Down :GCB::

Crack Shoot: Good recovery and anti-air. Can be combined with power dunk to help recover.
Side :GCCR::

Up :GCCU::
(charging animation is him crouching)

Down :GCCD::

Buster Wolf: Charges at the opponent and sends them flying similar to Marth's FS.

Also what I think his color palettes would be:

terry colors.png

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I made a potential moveset for Terry:

:GCA::
-->

Starts with a jab but ends with a small uppercut.

Side :GCA::

Decent poke with a fair amount of horizontal knockback.

Up :GCA::

Quick anti-air.

Down :GCA::

Dash attack:

Sends the opponent horizontally.
Aerial :GCA::

Quick aerial, nothing else to say.

Aerial side :GCA::

Decent length kick with a fair amount of knockback. The backwards version would have more knockback.

Aerial up :GCA::

Only the kicking part. Would have multi hits.
Aerial down :GCA::

Spikes the opponent similar to Ryu's aerial down A.
:GCB::

Power Wave: Fast projectile but can only travel on the ground.
Side :GCB::

Burn Knuckle: Pauses for a bit and then launches himself forward similar to Captain Falcon's side B. If used in the air he'll enter freefall afterwards.
Up :GCB::

Power Dunk: Great diagonal recovery. Using the move next to someone will send them upwards so they'll almost always get hit by the second hit.

Down :GCB::

Crack Shoot: Good recovery and anti-air. Can be combined with power dunk to help recover.
Side :GCCR::

Up :GCCU::
(charging animation is him crouching)

Down :GCCD::

Buster Wolf: Charges at the opponent and sends them flying similar to Marth's FS.

Also what I think his color palettes would be:

View attachment 157119
I like the moveset. I am wondering why Rising Tackle wasn't the Up B? It seems like a fitting attack for a special.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Terry should have lane changing as his down-B to simulate Fatal Fury's gameplay. Preferably RB2's lane mechanics.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I like the moveset. I am wondering why Rising Tackle wasn't the Up B? It seems like a fitting attack for a special.
I thought having power dunk as his up-B would help diversify him a bit from Ryu (I forgot to note that Terry would have the command input mechanic like Ryu does). Also because I had trouble thinking of what his upsmash could be and I thought the charging animation of him crouching would be a nice nod to charging the move in FF.

Terry should have lane changing as his down-B to simulate Fatal Fury's gameplay. Preferably RB2's lane mechanics.
That sounds awesome and would definitely make him stand out. Only issue would be him possible bumping into Pokemon Trainer.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Sign me up as a supporter! i love KoF, and Terry is probably one of the most iconic, and recognizable characters SNK has.

i also think it'd be kind of cool after reading this article talking about Sakurai playing KoF 95, and why he keeps the beginner crowd in mind.

In terms of moveset, I'd love to see them try implementing MAX mode and EX's, which is an aspect of fighting games that haven't quite been experimented with in Smash yet. though it could be problematic to balance in some cases.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Sign me up as a supporter! i love KoF, and Terry is probably one of the most iconic, and recognizable characters SNK has.

i also think it'd be kind of cool after reading this article talking about Sakurai playing KoF 95, and why he keeps the beginner crowd in mind.

In terms of moveset, I'd love to see them try implementing MAX mode and EX's, which is an aspect of fighting games that haven't quite been experimented with in Smash yet. though it could be problematic to balance in some cases.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but it is interesting to bring up KoF '95 in this article. I do find some moveset potential in both Fatal Fury and KoF aspects to Terry Bogard, possibly bringing in MAX mode and EX modes. I would be happy seeing Terry get in, even if we do end up getting 3 third party fighting game characters (which that isn't an issue to me.)

I just hope that the Smash devs does Terry Bogard justice if he gets in and for the sake of accuracy, label him as a Fatal Fury character. Fatal Fury is Terry's home game after all.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I like KoF, and the series fits a lot better as another fighting game series for Smash than Tekken.
Terry Bogard embodies these kind of games perfectly. Support.

Also, should Terry utilize one of the many meters from KoF, like Max Mode or EX mode?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Sign me up as a supporter. As someone who likes trying fighting games often (Garou series included), I like Terry's character and he'd be tons of fun if included.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Praying it's Garou 2.
I'd be so thrilled, yet so worried at the same time.
Garou is one of my favourite fighting games out there, and despite how much I wish the original sequel had been done, I really can't help myself but wonder if SNK can keep the essence of what made the game so amazing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have some ideas for Terry Bogard's moveset.

Gifs all taken from here.

B

Side+B

Up+B

Down+B

Smash Up

Final Smash: The King of Fighters

Andy Bogard and Joe Higashi join Terry Bogard to form a three-man team like in The King of Fighters '94 and they all beat up opponents.

EDIT

Sari Sari I just saw your moveset. We have the same ideas for Specials and Smash Up! I really like the rest of your moveset and I can see Terry having that moveset in Smash. He's a perfect fit for Smash!

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Terry Bogard would be awesome to have as an SNK rep, he’s my main in Fatal Fury/King of Fighters as well as Kyo Kusanagi and Mai Shiranui, he has my support. :)

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
We Terry fans now have a Discord server up and running. Be sure to follow the rules there and you'll be cool.

Here's a link to get to it. https://discord.gg/8SqGS3r

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'll be honest and say I completely support this guy for an SNK rep. You can count me on the supporter list!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So with Joker's inclusion and Reggie implying that the DLC will mainly be unrepresented third parties, I think Terry's chances just shot up a bit. He'd be a great addition considering the history of the SNK/Neo Geo as well as SNK being very friendly with Nintendo recently.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I agree this is a perfect opportunity to get Terry Bogard or other SNK characters to be DLC in Smash :D

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Back when I was a kid there was no one with a cooler fashion sense in my eyes than my boy Terry.

I have a feeling people are sleeping on his chances hard.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Hi I'd like to support Terry my favorite boy Ken got in so why not terry

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Love Fighting Game Characters, and Terry is one of my favorites.

Oh, and the genderbent one from Heroines must be a skin.

No debate.

D

Deleted member

Could I be added to that support list? I'd be down for an SNK character and it seems like the options are either Terry Bogard, or Kyo Kusanagi.

D

Deleted member

Gonna behonest, I wouldn't have supported this before. After seeing this thread and the coments I now want him. by all means not my most wanted (Beat, Scorpion, Freddi Fish and Luther, Jar Jar Binks, Chibi-Robo) I still support the idea of Terry getting in. put me on that list please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Back when the RTC was rating an SNK character, I made a big list of things that an SNK character such as Terry would have going for them. I even talked about a few counterarguments that some may use to downplay Terry's chances. I think it would be worth adding to the OP:

Things Terry has going for him

I'll talk about some things SNK has going for them and talk down a few counterarguments.
  • One major thing that SNK has going for them is their popularity in Latin American countries (specifically Mexico) and China. KoF in particular is MASSIVELY popular in China and Mexico. Here is an amazing post from Ana lover Reddit user XXXCheckmate on how and why KoF is so big in China.
  • SNK and the NEO GEO are also pretty popular and recognizable in Japan and KoF XIV is still one of the main featured games at EVO Japan. Granted SNK is still not the most popular company in the U.S. though the NEO GEO brand and someone like Terry Bogard would be somewhat recognizable. Also if recent leaks are to be believed then being a literally who in the U.S. doesn't mean a death sentence in regards to chances.
  • Sakurai played The King of Fighters 95 back in the day and apparently was so good at it he'd win about 50 times in a row. Yes I know that that alone won't be enough to get a character in Smash but it shows that Sakurai is at least somewhat familiar with SNK.
  • They also have a fairly strong relationship with Nintendo as seen with their various ports and many of their recent games (SNK Heroines and Samurai Spirits for example) appearing on the Switch. Sales of NEO GEO games on the Switch have also been really good (with some games even selling over a million copies). Up until recently their 40th anniversary collection was a Switch exclusive.
  • SNK is no stranger to having their characters appear in other games. As mentioned before, SNK is incredibly open with their characters as seen with Geese in Tekken 7 and Mai in Dead or Alive 5. Outside of major fighting games, SNK has done a ton of other smaller crossovers such as with Brave Frontier and recently Phantasy Star Online 2. Wanting to get their name spread out as much as possible, I'm certain SNK would be more than happy to have one of their characters in Smash.

Counterarguments + Rebuttals

Now for a few counter-arguments I think some people will use to downplay the possibility of an SNK rep.

As a side note: I wrote this entire thing way before the RTC day was even up so I swear I'm not trying to throw shade towards anyone specific.

"We already have Ryu, there can't be someone else from another fighting game!"

Three things:
  1. There is no rule where we are only allowed to have one fighting game character. If you were to follow this made-up rule then that means a ton of other fan favorites would be deconfirmed for various other reasons.
  2. Many of the SNK characters (well except for maybe Ryo) would offer separate playstyles, moves, and mechanics from Ryu so I don't see what the issue is with having another character that originates from a FG.
  3. Whereas some may argue that Ryu represents the fighting game genre as a whole, an SNK character like say Terry would be seen to represent SNK's role in arcade history.

"Tekken and Mortal Kombat are much more popular fighting game series to choose from! They should have priority before SNK!"

My reasoning for why reps from said game series aren't likely:
  • Tekken: While Tekken/Namco are definitely much bigger then SNK, trying to incorporate a Tekken character into Smash would be a hassle. Sakurai has stated that for a character to be in Smash, they must be represented faithfully from their game series. Tekken uses a left/right limb system for its combat which Sakurai stated would be extremely difficult to implement into Smash when he considered Heihachi for SSB4. Aside from that there is also the issue of Heihachi's voice actor passing away recently and Heihachi (the most likely Tekken rep) being added into Pac-Man's taunt. Granted the taunt thing is nowhere near an actual deconfirmation but many view it as a consolation prize for not having Heihachi playable due to the aforementioned issues. If all of this wasn't bad enough, there's also the issue of a Tekken rep having to deal with their own Namco competition in the form of Lloyd Irving who is seeming more likely.
  • Mortal Kombat: The MK series is not popular in Japan and the entries released there have flopped hard. Outside of a small following, Japan has little to no interest in the MK games and MK11 will even be skipping Japan entirely due to its excessive violence. As mentioned before, Sakurai stated that a character must stay true to the unique features of their games if they want to appear in Smash. MK is most well-known for its over the top violence and fatalities, so if someone like Scorpion were to be in Smash said features would have to be removed or severely toned down. MK had done this before in MK vs DC which most people thought was lame.

"Some SNK characters have already guest starred in other recent games, so those characters can't be in Smash!"
SNK is extremely lenient with their IPs as seen with the tons of KoF crossovers in mobile games such as Brave Frontier and the previously mentioned guest appearances. If they were ever given the chance to have one of their characters be in Smash they would have no issue with it.

"SNK isn't that popular in the USA!"

Even if the actual company name isn't on the level of notability like Capcom for instance, the NEO GEO brand and games like Metal Slug are recognizable to many gamers. In terms of actual sale numbers, ports of NEO GEO games on the Switch have been selling extremely well across the globe.

In a nutshell:
  • SNK is insanely popular in Latin America and China.
  • SNK is extremely lenient with their IPs
  • Still relevant in Japan and the NEO GEO brand is pretty recognizable in the U.S.
  • Has major advantages over two other fighting game series: Tekken and Mortal Kombat. I don't think we'll get reps from said series for the reasons listed in the second spoiler post above.
  • Ever-increasing presence on Nintendo consoles in the form of SNK 40th anniversary collection, SNK Heroines, Samurai Shodown 2019 and the tons of well-selling NEO GEO games on the eShop.
  • IIRC NISA mentioned that Nintendo wanted to make SNK Heroines a Switch exclusive so it shows that Nintendo is interested in SNK. Nintendo provided Sakurai the DLC choices so there is a possibility that they'd want to reach out to SNK further.
  • Sakurai is familiar with SNK (specifically KoF), so there is a chance that if Nintendo gave him an SNK character option such as Terry that he might have chosen it.

I think people are really sleeping on Terry's chances.

BowsersBackAir

Smash Rookie
Terry is such a fun character in the KoF games and would translate perfectly into Smash. I support this.

Top Bottom