• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Is there a pokemon big enough to be shown at e3 that isn't from gen 8? Like a mega popular pokemon among pokemon fans or a highly requested pokemon character for smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Is there a pokemon big enough to be shown at e3 that isn't from gen 8? Like a mega popular pokemon among pokemon fans or a highly requested pokemon character for smash.
that is an interesting question. mimikyu was voted number 3 not long ago so maybe him and imagine most gen 1 pokemon, maybe gengar

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to say since many fans tend to bicker over who should and shouldn't be added, but using popularity polls to narrow down the options I feel like any one of the following would make large portions of the fans happy.

-Mimikyu
-Eevee (and its evolutions)
-Garchomp (+ Cynthia?)
-Rayquaza (shrunken down like Ridley)
-Gardevoir
-Gengar

Pokemon of the Year: top 10
https://www.newsweek.com/greninja-pokemon-year-2020-day-google-vote-results-full-list-top-1489550

Pokemon of the Year: Full List
https://i.redd.it/kgk01yorqij41.jpg

Pokemon Asia: My Favorite Award 2021 (Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, & Vietnam)
Pokémon Asia My Favorite Award 2021 (portal-pokemon.com) (to change the country click on "Singapore" next to "Region: All", country order is same as above)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Main reason why I don't think it'd be something outside Gen 8 is the fact that we need a stage and Spirits.

They could cook up something generic or focus on an older game, but then that begs another question. Why? What would cause Nintendo to want to focus on Pokémon and go all the way back to Gen 3, 5, 7, etc. for a character when they have free range and could choose just about anyone?

Doesn't make much sense to me. It's the equivalent of adding Lyn over Byleth.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
In hindsight, those were more straightforward responses than I expected. But it kept conversation going, so...mission accomplished?

I suppose there're only three things that'd actually hurt us at this point:
  • A super late Spirit Event featuring the SwSh DLC expansions
  • Fighter #10 being a different Pokémon
  • Fighter #10 being someone close enough to Zacian or Zamazenta in build or design that the devs would've looked elsewhere for #11
The latter is...pretty much just Amaterasu, really.

It ain't likely, but it'd have to be:
  • Someone from BDSP...even though Sinnoh's most prominent 'mon is already in Smash while no one from Galar is
  • Someone from Legends...even though Legends won't be out anywhere until after Fighters Pass 2 is finished
  • Someone they didn't get to include in the base game for timing reasons that they doubled back to pick up now, like Min Min and Pyra were (Decidueye or Lycanroc?)
But yeah, if we get a Pokémon, it'd almost surely be from Sword & Shield.

Main reason why I don't think it'd be something outside Gen 8 is the fact that we need a stage and Spirits.

They could cook up something generic or focus on an older game, but then that begs another question. Why? What would cause Nintendo to want to focus on Pokémon and go all the way back to Gen 3, 5, 7, etc. for a character when they have free range and could choose just about anyone?

One possible workaround is if they chose a non-Gen 8 'mon that is present in SwSh. Could still focus the Challenger Pack around Galar that way and kind of justify it.

It'd be awkward, but it's at least possible if they handled it that way.

Meanwhile, this is apparently a thing:

Zacian may still be too strong for Ubers even without her sword.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well id imagine the why would likely be its a character they think could be marketable. hence why most of us think from older gens it would have to be someone massively popular. whether or not theyd deem them more marketable than anyone else is hard to say but with pokemon being as big as it is, its not impossible to think they might chose them over someone else.

however when you add in sakurai all logic falls apart

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
In hindsight, those were more straightforward responses than I expected. But it kept conversation going, so...mission accomplished?

I suppose there're only three things that'd actually hurt us at this point:
  • A super late Spirit Event featuring the SwSh DLC expansions
  • Fighter #10 being a different Pokémon
  • Fighter #10 being someone close enough to Zacian or Zamazenta in build or design that the devs would've looked elsewhere for #11
The latter is...pretty much just Amaterasu, really.

It ain't likely, but it'd have to be:
  • Someone from BDSP...even though Sinnoh's most prominent 'mon is already in Smash while no one from Galar is
  • Someone from Legends...even though Legends won't be out anywhere until after Fighters Pass 2 is finished
  • Someone they didn't get to include in the base game for timing reasons that they doubled back to pick up now, like Min Min and Pyra were (Decidueye or Lycanroc?)
But yeah, if we get a Pokémon, it'd almost surely be from Sword & Shield.

One possible workaround is if they chose a non-Gen 8 'mon that is present in SwSh. Could still focus the Challenger Pack around Galar that way and kind of justify it.

It'd be awkward, but it's at least possible if they handled it that way.

Meanwhile, this is apparently a thing:

Zacian may still be too strong for Ubers even without her sword.
Lmao, that's called Zacian.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Thinking about the innevitable Pokemon Direct/Presents, what exactly would they show off for BDSP given it'll be more faithful to the original, and in turn have little new to show?

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I wonder why they're taking so long to announce a Presents? It seems odd they'd wait till the day before e3 to show the event (unless they'll keep their stuff for Nintendo's e3 Direct, which would be a first). At least having Legends Arceus for Nintendo's e3 direct would make sense to me.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder why they're taking so long to announce a Presents? It seems odd they'd wait till the day before e3 to show the event (unless they'll keep their stuff for Nintendo's e3 Direct, which would be a first). At least having Legends Arceus for Nintendo's e3 direct would make sense to me.
no it wouldn’t. They revealed the fairy type at E3

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
no it wouldn’t. They revealed the fairy type at E3
Not gonna lie, I completely forgot about that. My memory of the XY hype cicle is super foggy since I didn't have a nintendo handheld yet to play mainline pokemon. XD was the closest game I've ever played till that point.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not gonna lie, I completely forgot about that. My memory of the XY hype cicle is super foggy since I didn't have a nintendo handheld yet to play mainline pokemon. XD was the closest game I've ever played till that point.
fair enough

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Something interesting got announced last night.

An upcoming ingame tournament is happening in a few days based around fire users, and it might indirectly tell us something about Fighter #10. While we've seen past tournaments built around themes that later newcomers fit into (like one featuring the lightest characters in the game 2 1/2 months before Sephiroth showed up), we're likely less than a month from the next one being added in. This means Fighter #10 is probably not a fire user, since if they were then this tournament theme would've probably been pushed back a little so they could take part in it.

Tells us nothing about Fighter #11, though.

The total lack of pre-E3 Nintendo announcements is weird. We've had Pokémon presentations in late May or early June for what, three years now? And all the rumors about the Switch Pro (or whatever the revised model is called) make it seem like that's meant to be revealed before E3 so third party devs working on Switch titles can mention it during their presentations.

So why have we heard nothing so far with only two days left to get either out of the way? Strange.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The total lack of pre-E3 Nintendo announcements is weird. We've had Pokémon presentations in late May or early June for what, three years now? And all the rumors about the Switch Pro (or whatever the revised model is called) make it seem like that's meant to be revealed before E3 so third party devs working on Switch titles can mention it during their presentations.

So why have we heard nothing so far with only two days left to get either out of the way? Strange.
is it really that strange? surely it just means its not happening

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Something interesting got announced last night.

An upcoming ingame tournament is happening in a few days based around fire users, and it might indirectly tell us something about Fighter #10. While we've seen past tournaments built around themes that later newcomers fit into (like one featuring the lightest characters in the game 2 1/2 months before Sephiroth showed up), we're likely less than a month from the next one being added in. This means Fighter #10 is probably not a fire user, since if they were then this tournament theme would've probably been pushed back a little so they could take part in it.

Tells us nothing about Fighter #11, though.

Actually the numbering of the file suggests it might effect 10 and 11. The images have file names that go up numerically for each one and according to the numbering, this event should have happened in February 2020 but was postponed until now. Probably was held off until all the fire users were released? I think this is pretty damning for Cinderace but just specifically Cinderace. It could always be Rillaboom or the doggos (if one of them is even getting in)

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Actually the numbering of the file suggests it might effect 10 and 11. The images have file names that go up numerically for each one and according to the numbering, this event should have happened in February 2020 but was postponed until now. Probably was held off until all the fire users were released? I think this is pretty damning for Cinderace but just specifically Cinderace. It could always be Rillaboom or the doggos (if one of them is even getting in)
I would be fine with that. Not a fan of Cinderace for personal preference of it's design.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just as a reminder, you can't take these things too seriously. They could've easily held the lightweight tournament off until Sephiroth, who definitely would've qualified considering how he weighs just as much as Kirby. They didn't for some reason, but that didn't stop the next character from being lightweight.

I couldn't tell you why they postponed this tournament, but I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves and eliminate any character who uses fire.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Has anyone decided on their starter for both BDSP & Legends Arceus?

I'm waiting to see how the teams will work in Legends Arceus to let me decide whether I should use Torterra in BSPD or in Legends along with it's actual starter. As for picking a starter from Legends I can't decide at all (don't even care about using more than 1 mon of the same type).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Has anyone decided on their starter for both BDSP & Legends Arceus?

I'm waiting to see how the teams will work in Legends Arceus to let me decide whether I should use Torterra in BSPD or in Legends along with it's actual starter. As for picking a starter from Legends I can't decide at all (don't even care about using more than 1 mon of the same type).
im going with my original gen 4 choice of chimchar as for legends i am hoping for trading so i can have all 3

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
At this point it's almost a guarantee we're getting the pokemon news at the Nintendo Direct unless they REALLY want to shadow-drop a presents Tomorrow.

I do wonder how much info we'll get inside the direct since they can't go in-depth like with a presents, along with which pokemon game will be played at Treehouse (I think more people would want a deep dive for Legends Arceus).

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
^ Great to see Zacian being alongside huge fan favorites Greninja and Mewtwo as the first V-union cards!

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
What do we have here?

Yep, that's the new TCG gimmick, and Zacian is one of the poster mons for it.

I'd make an Exodia joke here, but it's been done a thousand times already.

Funny how two of the three characters used for the first Union cards are playable in Smash.

It'd be great if this ended up being a sign of things to come, but I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Yeah, there's approximately zero chance the TCG people have any foreknowledge of what the Smash team is doing. Still, seeing Zacian in such a prominent spot like this (even if relevance definitely factored in) does show us that TPC considers her a big enough deal to feature here. Which raises the odds they'd look at Zacian and/or Zamazenta if Sakurai did ask around a while back...or just a few months ago if they'd left a placeholder open all this time like they have for past Pokémon newcomers.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
poor zamazenta. zacian gets all the love
Isn't it tradition with every new generation & their boxart legendary pokemon?

Also question, what is everyone's expectations for Nintendo's e3 direct? Or what are your hopes for anything that might appear, pokemon included?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Isn't it tradition with every new generation & their boxart legendary pokemon?

Also question, what is everyone's expectations for Nintendo's e3 direct? Or what are your hopes for anything that might appear, pokemon included?
I imagine we’ll get an update on Pokemon and I’d love for Zelda to be there. I try to keep my expectations in check

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Zelda is gonna be there one way or another. There's no way they're gonna let this anniversary go by without something at E3.

Will Zelda get a Smash newcomer? It's possible, but it seems more likely that they'd save that for last if there is one.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've heard people suggest that a Pokemon Presents could happen later in the month, skipping e3 altogether. How likely is that?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Will Zelda get a Smash newcomer? It's possible, but it seems more likely that they'd save that for last if there is one.
A year ago, I would've said to keep an eye on BotW2 for newcomer options. But now it's looking increasingly likely that it won't be out until 2022, putting it too late to safely pull a newcomer from. Much less a stage, Spirit Board, or music. It'd all have still been a work in progress when development on Fighter #11 started.

I've heard people suggest that a Pokemon Presents could happen later in the month, skipping e3 altogether. How likely is that?
Entirely possible. Maybe something delayed it like how the Unite section last year had to be filmed separately?

Though I don't think they'd skip E3. Might just have only a minor amount of new details, like past years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom