• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Still better than what a lot of other Galar Pokémon have gotten so far sadly. At this point, I'm not even sure if we'll get to see half of them get a single episode where they have a decent involvement with the plot. The previous seven Gens have ate up too many of the episodes, which was a concern I had from the very beginning. Cameos and brief appearances might be the best some of these guys get.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I almost miss the trend of nearly every new Pokémon being given an episode where they're the focus.
that does seem to be the ways its going. which is a shame cause a lot of this gen's pokemon were great

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
that does seem to be the ways its going. which is a shame cause a lot of this gen's pokemon were great
I'm already concerned that the Dragapult line, Dracozolt, Boltund line, Corviknight line, etc. won't get much screentime outside what few we saw of some of them.

I do feel they could be doing a better job at wanting to show all currently available pokemon, but some just end up with more screentime than others.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm already concerned that the Dragapult line, Dracozolt, Boltund line, Corviknight line, etc. won't get much screentime outside what few we saw of some of them.

I do feel they could be doing a better job at wanting to show all currently available pokemon, but some just end up with more screentime than others.
yep it is a real shame. though i have noticed a lot of trivia sections saying that a lot of the pokemon have been absent from the anime for a while. not the ones that are getting the most screen time mind you

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
yep it is a real shame. though i have noticed a lot of trivia sections saying that a lot of the pokemon have been absent from the anime for a while. not the ones that are getting the most screen time mind you
I remember one being Arcanine, who's been absent from the anime since Diamond & Pearl (excluding Origins). Which is shocking given how popular that pokemon is. Hopefully it appears again with Gary showing up again.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I remember one being Arcanine, who's been absent from the anime since Diamond & Pearl (excluding Origins). Which is shocking given how popular that pokemon is. Hopefully it appears again with Gary showing up again.
Other Gen 5 mons like Larvesta, Volcarona, and Klinklang appeared like once or twice and only in BW.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ugh dont remind hes coming back. i cant stand that guy

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
im not very forgiving of bullies
Fair enough (though I'm sure that's in the past for him & Ash).

Also, is it just me or has e3 taken too long to give us the schedule for all the presentations? Around this time we'd know Nintendo's exact plans for events and whatnot (given that e3 will last from Saturday to Tuesday).

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The release dates have been revealed for BDSP and Legends Arceus.

BDSP: Nov 19th 2021
Arceus: Jan 28th 2022

View attachment 316574

View attachment 316576

View attachment 316573

Source: Serebii and Pokémon (@Pokemon) / Twitter
The release of Legends Arceus feels way too soon (at least in comparison to BDSP). I really hope it doesn't feel rushed in any way (graphics, framerate, quantity & quality of the content): they need this to be critically successfull with the fans after the whole Sword/Shield Debacle, or we could be in another flamewar period like in 2019.
I'm aware that we need to see more of the game before judging if it's too soon, but that worry will stand till then.

Also, what in the world will the rest of 2022 be for pokemon? Is gen 9 coming out that year or are they planning dlc for Legends Arceus? Or are we getting nothing else in 2022 from GameFreak?

Last edited:

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
I think Gen 9 could happen (which begs the question of how they’re going to end this season of the anime and will Gen 9 carry on with the same format and characters?), perhaps they’ll focus on other stuff for 2022 like maybe Let’s Go Johto and mobile apps like Pokémon Sleep (if they’re still working on it).

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think Gen 9 could happen (which begs the question of how they’re going to end this season of the anime and will Gen 9 carry on with the same format and characters?), perhaps they’ll focus on other stuff for 2022 like maybe Let’s Go Johto and mobile apps like Pokémon Sleep (if they’re still working on it).
I don't think it'd be a good idea having 2 remakes back to back. Plus GameFreak isn't involved with other games outside mainline rpgs.

As for gen 9 i think it's safe to assume they'll take some things from Legends Arceus (but not to the point of it being as massive as BotW, which I fear people will indeed expect from it). But if gen 9 does come out till 2023, then there might be more to be excited about. Nonetheless I do hope Legends Arceus is all we get from Gamefreak in 2022.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I was sorta hoping a March or later release for Legends, January feels kinda soon. Having BDSP outsourced ought to have given GameFreak a bit of leeway with Legends, yet still they opt for a fairly rushed release. Hopefully the game will deliver anyway.

November for BDSP was in line with what I was thinking. The boxarts are nice though. Can't wait for more trailers to actually see the games.

I hope Gen 9 isn't in the pipeline for 2022 but it certainly wouldn't surprise me with the current 2-3 year per gen pace. I want GF to fully take their time with the games.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Yeah, I was sorta hoping a March or later release for Legends, January feels kinda soon. Having BDSP outsourced ought to have given GameFreak a bit of leeway with Legends, yet still they opt for a fairly rushed release. Hopefully the game will deliver anyway.

November for BDSP was in line with what I was thinking. The boxarts are nice though. Can't wait for more trailers to actually see the games.

I hope Gen 9 isn't in the pipeline for 2022 but it certainly wouldn't surprise me with the current 2-3 year per gen pace. I want GF to fully take their time with the games.
It's just a matter of them having the courage to go against the people who WILL consume anything they make (specifically those who are obnoxious on social media with "where's pokemon?!", along with people wanting to move on from Sword/Shield) regardless of how much better their games could be. We also must take into account that The Pokemon Company might be in a rush to start gen 9 soon, hence why GF are basically forced to release a new gen whenever TPC is readying merch, tcg, anime, films, manga etc. (crazy to think the gen 9 starters & region could be finalizing designs soon, really excited to see the new starters).
But at the end of the day, I wouldn't be against gen 9 coming out next year because I love the hype cycle of revealing new pokemon & the new region.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well then. Here we go.

T-minus 13 days until Nintendo's big E3 Direct. Which means (probably) 13 days until we learn of Fighter #10.
I'm certainly feeling the hype cup being overfilled by the fans. But this time more so than in previous e3 directs.

I think it's safe to say fighter #10 is basically 99.9% going to be a 3rd party, cause I'd be shocked if they opted for a 1st party with no follow up with #11 til later in the year (unless they have a crazy game lineup to hold their own). Plus I'm very warry of getting a double reveal at e3 starting with the 1st party and then finishing with the 3rd party.

This may also mean the likely Pokemon Presents will happen around Next Tuesday.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Like I'm sure I've said somewhere a dozen times before, I do think a third-party would be more likely.

That being said, we're at the end of the pass as well. This is the first time a wave of characters, be it base game or DLC, has ended so close to E3. I think it's also just as likely that this character won't be nearly as big as people think, and that's why I don't want to rule out a first-party completely.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Like I'm sure I've said somewhere a dozen times before, I do think a third-party would be more likely.

That being said, we're at the end of the pass as well. This is the first time a wave of characters, be it base game or DLC, has ended so close to E3. I think it's also just as likely that this character won't be nearly as big as people think, and that's why I don't want to rule out a first-party completely.
Is it odd to say I don't think it's Crash just because people don't shut up about him being a shoe-in? I feel he's too obvious to be added, and we've been blindsided by all the dlc characters in pass 2.

Also question, have we had our under-the-radar pick yet (in the same vain as Terry)? And if not, could that pick be 1st party?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is it odd to say I don't think it's Crash just because people don't shut up about him being a shoe-in? I feel he's too obvious to be added, and we've been blindsided by all the dlc characters in pass 2.
Wouldn't surprise me if Crash ends up as Geno 2.0. I feel like people are too busy banking on his popularity within the community to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Truth be told, while there isn't much that points against him, there isn't much that points to him specifically either. A lot of the criteria people use to explain why Crash is extremely likely can be applied to other third-parties as well.

We'll see what happens. People seem confident in Crash, despite the fact that we're down to only two characters.

Also question, have we had our under-the-radar pick yet (in the same vain as Terry)? And if not, could that pick be 1st party?
If there is one, I doubt any of the current four are them. Min Min and Pyra sort of cancel each other out. Steve and Sephiroth were unexpected, but that has more to do with the community overlooking them because of very specific things like, "Steve wouldn't look right in Smash," and, "Geno is the next SE rep." Terry was a character who was ignored because he honestly didn't have much going for him. Wasn't highly relevant at the time, wasn't highly requested, wasn't a massive gaming icon compared to other choices, and there wasn't a whole lot connecting Nintendo and SNK to each other. We've been blindsided by most of the characters so far, but I don't think any of them have been in the same manner as Terry.

As for whether or not it can be first-party, it can, but I don't know how likely those characters are. Based off what we've gotten so far, I'll assume relevancy will play a huge part with first-parties. If that's the case, then it'll be hard for any character to feel under-the-radar.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

thats my thinking as well. a first party or a less big 3rd party

i agree with you on crash. though i think only the last ones blindsided me

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
If you've seen my videos lately, you know my thoughts. I'm skeptical that we'll see anyone as big as Steve or Sephiroth from these last two, even if I wouldn't rule it out completely. Speculation right now is over-focusing on star power and collecting as many AAA icons or "reps" from genres as possible when that doesn't appear to be what Sakurai and Nintendo are looking for. My guess is Fighter #10 will be one more guest fighter, probably someone who isn't a huge deal but is still notable and still stands out. Something like we saw with Terry last time around. Then #11 will be a deliberately recent first party with unique abilities like Byleth and Corrin were, with Sword & Shield the most likely to get looked at for that.

That said...there is a chance that Steve and Sephiroth are the only third parties in Vol. 2. If so, Pokémon is a big enough deal to justify a reveal in the E3 Direct. Even if #11 is more likely for us, we're best off keeping an eye out anyway.

Related question, to keep conversation going: Which characters do you believe would most help or hurt our chances if they were to be Fighter #10?

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
If you've seen my videos lately, you know my thoughts. I'm skeptical that we'll see anyone as big as Steve or Sephiroth from these last two, even if I wouldn't rule it out completely. Speculation right now is over-focusing on star power and collecting as many AAA icons or "reps" from genres as possible when that doesn't appear to be what Sakurai and Nintendo are looking for. My guess is Fighter #10 will be one more guest fighter, probably someone who isn't a huge deal but is still notable and still stands out. Something like we saw with Terry last time around. Then #11 will be a deliberately recent first party like Byleth and Corrin were, with Sword & Shield the most likely to get looked at for that.

That said...there is a chance that Steve and Sephiroth are the only third parties in Vol. 2. If so, Pokémon is a big enough deal to justify a reveal in the E3 Direct. Even if #11 is more likely for us, we're best off keeping an eye out anyway.

Related question, to keep conversation going: Which characters do you believe would most help or hurt our chances if they were to be Fighter #10?
Some guest characters I can think of being on par or lesser level than Steve & Spehiroth are: Lloyd, Sol Badguy, Siegfried, Eggman, Phoenix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa & Reimu.
I also gotta ask, are there any more recently released Nintendo games that could take that last dlc spot from Sword/Shield?

A zelda rep would keep us in a 50/50 position. Outside that I can't think of anything else that would give Zacian/Zamazenta some issues (unless a pokemon from a spin-off happens out of nowhere).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Which characters do you believe would most help or hurt our chances if they were to be Fighter #10?
I don’t think any character would help us but any other gen 8 pok

Some guest characters I can think of being on par or lesser level than Steve & Spehiroth are: Lloyd, Sol Badguy, Siegfried, Eggman, Phoenix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa & Reimu.
I also gotta ask, are there any more recently released Nintendo games that could take that last dlc spot from Sword/Shield?

A zelda rep would keep us in a 50/50 position. Outside that I can't think of anything else that would give Zacian/Zamazenta some issues (unless a pokemon from a spin-off happens out of nowhere).
bit harsh on eggman

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I don’t think any character would help us but any other gen 8 pok

bit harsh on eggman
I did say on par or under. I'm mostly judging on people's perspectives & from what I could tell the big "hype" reveals would be (according to people): Sora, Crash, Doomguy, Kratos & Master Chief.

Plus Eggman was nowhere near as talked about before Sephiroth showed up.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I did say on par or under. I'm mostly judging on people's perspectives & from what I could tell the big "hype" reveals would be (according to people): Sora, Crash, Doomguy, Kratos & Master Chief.

Plus Eggman was nowhere near as talked about before Sephiroth showed up.
it is odd how most speculators need precedent to believe something could happen

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

Well there's always Ayumi Tachibana but that's a niche choice. I personally think King Boo has a bit shot, you'll hear me say that a lot. But with E3 coming, there's always the possibility a new game is announced there and a Smash announcement ties in with it like idk what if they announced a new WarioWare and Ashley becomes a fighter?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well there's always Ayumi Tachibana but that's a niche choice. I personally think King Boo has a bit shot, you'll hear me say that a lot. But with E3 coming, there's always the possibility a new game is announced there and a Smash announcement ties in with it like idk what if they announced a new WarioWare and Ashley becomes a fighter?
I don't think they'd ever do that. The closest thing was DQ XI S & Hero, but that was a re-release. They'd need some time for the new game to sink in at least in Japan, let's say for a few months. Plus I don't think Ashley has a chance: she feels more like a base game character & not really the best for dlc. Same feeling I have towards Dixie Kong.

The only 1st parties I can see happening are from Zelda or Pokemon.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I don't think they'd ever do that. The closest thing was DQ XI S & Hero, but that was a re-release. They'd need some time for the new game to sink in at least in Japan, let's say for a few months. Plus I don't think Ashley has a chance: she feels more like a base game character & not really the best for dlc. Same feeling I have towards Dixie Kong.

The only 1st parties I can see happening are from Zelda or Pokemon.
Well I mean Ashley in this case is an established character already but this isn't specifically about her. It's just that if they announce a game from an already established series, fans could be familiar with the character while they could still push a fighter riding off of new game hype. I don't really understand the separation between base game and DLC picks anyway. If the definition for a base game pick is a Nintendo character that isn't from a super major franchise that sells gangbusters, then Min Min and Pyra already disprove that.

Remember at this point, Nintendo probably has made most of their money from pass sales and I'm willing to bet the sales of the individual DLC are less than the season passes. This is kinda why super popular characters like Joker, Hero and Banjo were at the forefront and why Byleth was at the tailend. They could end on flipping Labo Guy and they'd still probably have your money. It's all up in the air at this point IMO.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well I mean Ashley in this case is an established character already but this isn't specifically about her. It's just that if they announce a game from an already established series, fans could be familiar with the character while they could still push a fighter riding off of new game hype. I don't really understand the separation between base game and DLC picks anyway. If the definition for a base game pick is a Nintendo character that isn't from a super major franchise that sells gangbusters, then Min Min and Pyra already disprove that.

Remember at this point, Nintendo probably has made most of their money from pass sales and I'm willing to bet the sales of the individual DLC are less than the season passes. This is kinda why super popular characters like Joker, Hero and Banjo were at the forefront and why Byleth was at the tailend. They could end on flipping Labo Guy and they'd still probably have your money. It's all up in the air at this point IMO.
You have a point. But I still feel it'd make more business sense to promote their big series as the last dlc character. Zelda has a big game coming up & Pokemon usualy likes to stay as recent & relevant as possible. They're both series Nintendo highly prioritizes.
I might also add Metroid if the series wasn't so up in the air in it's future.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
You have a point. But I still feel it'd make more business sense to promote their big series as the last dlc character. Zelda has a big game coming up & Pokemon usualy likes to stay as recent & relevant as possible. They're both series Nintendo highly prioritizes.
I might also add Metroid if the series wasn't so up in the air in it's future.
I can respect your point of view. Thank you for sharing. I personally have doubts for anymore Nintendo characters and anyone I predict is IMO just best case scenario. Not like I can possibly predict who at this point anyway. That said I have a pretty good track record all things considered I predicted Sephiroth haha.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I can respect your point of view. Thank you for sharing. I personally have doubts for anymore Nintendo characters and anyone I predict is IMO just best case scenario. Not like I can possibly predict who at this point anyway. That said I have a pretty good track record all things considered I predicted Sephiroth haha.
For all I know the e3 character could be Grovyle from Mystery Dungeon. This is how the 2nd pass has felt in terms of catching me off guard (the closest to predicting a character was saying that Pokemon, Zelda & Xenoblade could get a rep around January-February).

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
she has plenty of fans and she was almost in melee
Potentially. Moveset probably isn't even a question if Sakurai wanted to add her in Melee. Depends if Ninty thinks she's worth enough but FDC is very niche, much more than Nintendo's lower selling games. But then again, I did say the end of the pass might be safer and less exciting.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Potentially. Moveset probably isn't even a question if Sakurai wanted to add her in Melee. Depends if Ninty thinks she's worth enough but FDC is very niche, much more than Nintendo's lower selling games. But then again, I did say the end of the pass might be safer and less exciting.
so far the games are doing really well so don’t rule her out as only “niche”

besides sakurai doesn’t always bother with what’s popular

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
so far the games are doing really well so don’t rule her out as only “niche”

besides sakurai doesn’t always bother with what’s popular
Niche doesn't mean unpopular just not widely appealing and VNs are generally some of the toughest to sell. I like FDC so it'd be a treat. Anyway until a spirit event comes around, it's safe to say nothing actively goes against her. Not like spirit events will matter for much longer if the final 2 are revealed together at E3. Oh what a treat it will be to see Smash come to a close and all the fighters together.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Niche doesn't mean unpopular just not widely appealing and VNs are generally some of the toughest to sell. I like FDC so it'd be a treat. Anyway until a spirit event comes around, it's safe to say nothing actively goes against her. Not like spirit events will matter for much longer if the final 2 are revealed together at E3. Oh what a treat it will be to see Smash come to a close and all the fighters together.
Maybe Phoenix Wright is her biggest obstacle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think there are many characters aside from other Pokémon that hurt our chances. Not sure why a third-party would hurt us. Even if we got something like Digimon, I don't think we'd really be effected. Joker didn't seem to harm the chances of other JRPG characters, did he?

Doesn't appear to be many characters who would help our case outside yet another first-party character from a Switch game. At the very least, it'd further establish the trend of them picking characters from their most recent titles.

As for whether or not either of these last two characters will be first-party, who knows? I've been hearing, "I think there might not be any more first-parties," since Joker, so I'm not particularly fazed by what the community thinks is likely. I also don't think there's any merit to, "It missed its chance," when we have not one, but two characters from games that were roughly three years old by the time their character was added.

If a SwSh Pokemon doesn't get in, it'll because they didn't want one as much as other characters. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom