• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
They make it too easy nowadays.
sigh I miss the old days.
I mean…the Dynamax Legendary battles might be tough enough as is, considering you apparently can’t even use your Pokémon during them. Going through all that effort only for a Legendary to just poof our before the Ball even shakes once (as you do) would be a bit soul-crushing.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
They make it too easy nowadays.
sigh I miss the old days.
Honestly the capture is the least of the worries. The challenge seems more focused on the battle itself (which it should've always been the case for the whole pokemon franchise in my opinion). As long as the fights are as tough as the Mewtwo raid from a while back (or even harder) then everything will be fine.

And from what they've said, you'll carry over damage & usage of pp & hp throughout all max raid battles leading up to the legendary, so what I gather is you pick a random pokemon from rental and stick with it for 3 max raid battles + the legendary raid battle with only a few paths containing healing spots. Think of All-Star Mode from Melee & Brawl.

Also, have you played Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, cause I think from start to postgame it's among the hardest pokemon games out there.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Honestly the capture is the least of the worries. The challenge seems more focused on the battle itself (which it should've always been the case for the whole pokemon franchise in my opinion). As long as the fights are as tough as the Mewtwo raid from a while back (or even harder) then everything will be fine.

And from what they've said, you'll carry over damage & usage of pp & hp throughout all max raid battles leading up to the legendary, so what I gather is you pick a random pokemon from rental and stick with it for 3 max raid battles + the legendary raid battle with only a few paths containing healing spots. Think of All-Star Mode from Melee & Brawl.

Also, have you played Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, cause I think from start to postgame it's among the hardest pokemon games out there.
Yep I have. Ultra Moon was incredibly easy. Beat it in two weeks flat. I only ever had a couple hickups (Hawlucha being too overleveled, the Totem Mimikyu boss, Totem Togedemaru's Dedenne Ally, and a few other things). It's nowhere near as hard as you're stating, I beat the game with a Ledian on my team. A Ledian. And it was useful. Trainers and bosses were ridiculously easy for the most part, the game was super linear, and so on. Overall, one of the easiest games I've played. And don't get me started on Rainbow Rocket. Thought it was gonna be actually hard, turned out to be as easy as the rest of the game. The leaders were pathetically easy, they were destroyed by the smallest touch. Only issue I had was my Sylveon not KOing Reshiram with Twinkle Tackle because I forgot how typings worked for a moment. Overall, the game was easy, and if what I've heard about XY and ORAS is true, then we haven't had an actually challenging game where you earn things for yourself and explore for yourself since BW2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yep I have. Ultra Moon was incredibly easy. Beat it in two weeks flat. I only ever had a couple hickups (Hawlucha being too overleveled, the Totem Mimikyu boss, Totem Togedemaru's Dedenne Ally, and a few other things). It's nowhere near as hard as you're stating, I beat the game with a Ledian on my team. A Ledian. And it was useful. Trainers and bosses were ridiculously easy for the most part, the game was super linear, and so on. Overall, one of the easiest games I've played. And don't get me started on Rainbow Rocket. Thought it was gonna be actually hard, turned out to be as easy as the rest of the game. The leaders were pathetically easy, they were destroyed by the smallest touch. Only issue I had was my Sylveon not KOing Reshiram with Twinkle Tackle because I forgot how typings worked for a moment. Overall, the game was easy, and if what I've heard about XY and ORAS is true, then we haven't had an actually challenging game where you earn things for yourself and explore for yourself since BW2.
youd almost think it was a game series designed to accessible to young children or something

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
youd almost think it was a game series designed to accessible to young children or something
If you've played any game prior to Gen 6 you'll know that they were made for kids and actually challenging. If little 7 year old me could beat Pokemon Diamond and White, I don't see why the little 8 year old's can't just do things themselves either.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Then I guess it just down to different playstyles, cause I still stand by that statement. I'm usually not that interested by having objectively the better pokemon nor having the most diverse type coverage. Heck I decided to start out with like 4 different pokemon, 3 of which were very weak early game. And I switched from like 20 pokemon at all times and was still challenged.
Plus I swear I saw plenty of people (including older fans) state that Ultra Sun/Moon was hard. And plenty of those people enjoy Pokemon in a therapeutic way, to relax and casually enjoy the experience (myself included) with not many hickups; so forcing the game to be hard wouldn't make sense for them business wise, because we can't have our kids potentially get angry at a game that they're struggling with, so we're removing as much of that struggle as possible so they can have fun. And not because parents have become more lazy or sensible or anything.

I think GF knows that we already make the games harder for ourselves to fit our liking, so they don't bother with making a hard mode when the following is available:
-A vast array of Nuzlockes.
-Turning off Exp share (when possible).
-Stick to using few types.
-No switching out.
Among many other things that are the equivalent of a very complex hard mode with multiple options to fit your personal way of play. And let's be honest, GF would likely make a hard mode that's inferior to the alternatives.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you've played any game prior to Gen 6 you'll know that they were made for kids and actually challenging. If little 7 year old me could beat Pokemon Diamond and White, I don't see why the little 8 year old's can't just do things themselves either.
ive lived through and played every gen, challenge level has only changed cause ive improved at playing games

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Then I guess it just down to different playstyles, cause I still stand by that statement. I'm usually not that interested by having objectively the better pokemon nor having the most diverse type coverage. Heck I decided to start out with like 4 different pokemon, 3 of which were very weak early game. And I switched from like 20 pokemon at all times and was still challenged.
Plus I swear I saw plenty of people (including older fans) state that Ultra Sun/Moon was hard. And plenty of those people enjoy Pokemon in a therapeutic way, to relax and casually enjoy the experience (myself included) with not many hickups; so forcing the game to be hard wouldn't make sense for them business wise, because we can't have our kids potentially get angry at a game that they're struggling with, so we're removing as much of that struggle as possible so they can have fun. And not because parents have become more lazy or sensible or anything.

I think GF knows that we already make the games harder for ourselves to fit our liking, so they don't bother with making a hard mode when the following is available:
-A vast array of Nuzlockes.
-Turning off Exp share (when possible).
-Stick to using few types.
-No switching out.
Among many other things that are the equivalent of a very complex hard mode with multiple options to fit your personal way of play. And let's be honest, GF would likely make a hard mode that's inferior to the alternatives.
The fact we have to make the game hard by inventing things ourselves means the game is too easy. That's a fact. The only option there still viable in SWSH that Game Freak themselves made is the Set Battle Style.

The only hard part of USUM that everyone really hated was Ultra Necrozma. I happened to have an easy time thanks to having a Zoroark, but that bit is very much one of the only hard parts of the game.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The fact we have to make the game hard by inventing things ourselves means the game is too easy. That's a fact. The only option there still viable in SWSH that Game Freak themselves made is the Set Battle Style.

The only hard part of USUM that everyone really hated was Ultra Necrozma. I happened to have an easy time thanks to having a Zoroark, but that bit is very much one of the only hard parts of the game.
I think it comes down to the fact that GF don't want to force down a hard game in fear of risking lower sales, as they want to sell to as many people as possible; this is more evident nowadays. And given how people have had these artifitial difficulty rules from a decade ago they might feel no need to give us any significant hard mode or even make the game harder.

And I don't want to make any assumptions, but maybe playing pokemon for years has made the experience easier for you as time went on.

Because for me, when I feel like it, every single pokemon game is easy. The earlier games (Yellow & Silver) I could breeze through both being heavily underleved & having bad teams. The only games I've ever had significant difficulty with (though not by much) is Platinum & Ultra Sun. And in both cases for me the difficulty was throught the main story & postgame and half of that difficulty was using mediocre movesets or pokemon.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pokémon games are easy, but I think that's something you should expect for the biggest franchise in the world. They want the games to be accessible for everyone, and sadly, you're not gonna accomplish that by making the games too tough.

It also helps if you're a teen or young adult who's played most of the Pokémon games. New players or really young players will probably have a harder time remembering type weaknesses, understanding how certain moves work, and prioritizing strong Pokémon over favorites.

While rare, I do think there are some challenging parts of newer Pokémon games. Maybe Crown Tundra will have a few of them. Maybe not. Regardless, I think it's up to the players to find ways to challenge themselves. Try choosing less powerful Pokémon or Pokémon at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Young me played through 70 percent of Red using nothing but Venusaur so let's not act like older games were harder. And there isn't much GF can do to increase difficulty that can be countered with a big level grind.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Nothing of Nokemon (CENSORED and (CENSORED) will ever make it into Smash Ultimate. Smash Ultimate would instantly become the worst Smash game ever made if it happened, and Sakurai knows this.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Nothing of Nokemon (CENSORED and (CENSORED) will ever make it into Smash Ultimate. Smash Ultimate would instantly become the worst Smash game ever made if it happened, and Sakurai knows this.
Thank you for making the effort of coming in this thread and sharing this wonderful input.

Guess I'll have to agree to disagree.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Thank you for promptly ****ting on every Gen 8 supporter. Keep your thoughts to yourself alright?

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
New leak for Crown Tundra (Shiny Legendaries + 2 new Legendaries)

There was a problem fetching the tweet
View attachment 289743
The shiny Galarian Birds are brilliant, don't know why they haven't done something like this before with other regional variants (please don't be shiny locked I need that shiny Zapdos). As for the Horses, for now I'm leaning towards the White Horse (though the Shiny sucks). Need to see them in action first.

Also, those are NOT fusions at all, Calyrex is just mounting them.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long for a comment like this to show up. Did you also think this for Byleth's inclusion or do you have a personal grudge against Pokemon to the point of feeling the need to talk us down with no evidence or any decency for healthy discussion? I also wasn't aware 1 character from the biggest franchise in the world (still beloved by millions mind you) could ruin what's claimed to be the best smash game of all time. You do know you don't have to buy this character right? And if you blindly bought the fighter's pass it's your fault because they warned you.

And lastly I highly doubt you even know a thing about Sakurai. With your logic adding another Fire Emblem character like Byleth shouldn't have happened, but look where we are now. He doesn't care if the pick is "controversial", it's Nintendo who picks the characters anyways. Plus why would you leave out some potentially unique characters who can offer something new?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's best just to ignore comments like these and not reward the user with a reaction. I'd imagine they didn't type that expecting the people in this thread to shower them with praise.

New leak for Crown Tundra (Shiny Legendaries + 2 new Legendaries)

There was a problem fetching the tweet
View attachment 289743
Intresting concept.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the designs of the new Legendaries in Crown Tundra. The two horses could be passed off as standard Pokémon without changing a thing about their design. Calyrex mounting them was a neat direction they took, but I was secretly hoping Calyrex would look better in these "fusions". It's almost completely unchanged, meaning it still looks just as ugly to me as before. I'd say Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus are still the Legendaries with best designs.

Oh, and the shinies for the birds and Regis look good. I can see a lot of people having to take a second look at the shiny birds so they can understand which form they're fighting. They're deceptively similar.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It's best just to ignore comments like these and not reward the user with a reaction. I'd imagine they didn't type that expecting the people in this thread to shower them with praise.

Intresting concept.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the designs of the new Legendaries in Crown Tundra. The two horses could be passed off as standard Pokémon without changing a thing about their design. Calyrex mounting them was a neat direction they took, but I was secretly hoping Calyrex would look better in these "fusions". It's almost completely unchanged, meaning it still looks just as ugly to me as before. I'd say Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus are still the Legendaries with best designs.

Oh, and the shinies for the birds and Regis look good. I can see a lot of people having to take a second look at the shiny birds so they can understand which form they're fighting. They're deceptively similar.
Perhaps seeing them in action could change your mind. We're not really seeing them at their best. For instance I though I'd hate Inteleon based on the low quality leaks and low and behold the opposite was true.

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Crown Tundra leak spoilers
I just checked them on Twitter, and apparently Calyrex when it’s with one of the horses just gets two abilities at once???
That’s so ****ing wild??

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I just checked them on Twitter, and apparently Calyrex when it’s with one of the horses just gets two abilities at once???
That’s so ****ing wild??
It's a legendary so they can do whatever they want at this point, and even still this is crazy. But I do wonder how the hell stuff like Neutralizing Gas would work.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
It's a legendary so they can do whatever they want at this point, and even still this is crazy. But I do wonder how the hell stuff like Neutralizing Gas would work.
I’m guessing it’ll neutralize both abilities since it says they’re combined. But yeah this is crazy, especially if it starts becoming more common down the line

Two abilities at once is the second Pokémon related thing I did not expect to see today
The first was shirtless Raihan in the SWSH manga

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
funnily enough the two horse are mine and my best friend's favourite types
The question now is which horse goes to which version, cause I presume they're version exclusives. Really need to see them moving cause now I can't pick which I like more: the white one has my attention but the black one could be my favorite. Just hope the one I like most is in Sword.

Though with how they'd been doing things with Sw/Sh and how many pokemon I still want to use I might end up with both versions.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Not sure if anyone was legitimately worried after Isle of Armor, but this week is a tourney featuring characters with tools.

If we don't get anything by the next two weeks, then I think we're probably in the clear.
Have we had pokemon events in the past? I can't remember.

On another note, I finally finished the Zamazenta colors after all that procrastinating, though I'm not quite as pleased with them as with the Zacian ones. They were quite hard to make stand out without looking too similar, but hopefully they look good enough.

2_Colors_SH_50.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The question now is which horse goes to which version, cause I presume they're version exclusives. Really need to see them moving cause now I can't pick which I like more: the white one has my attention but the black one could be my favorite. Just hope the one I like most is in Sword.

Though with how they'd been doing things with Sw/Sh and how many pokemon I still want to use I might end up with both versions.
leaker claimed you pick between them

Staarih

Smash Master
That’s so ****ing wild??
I find the idea of Calyrex's different forms being mounting the horses really unique and kinda fun, builds upon its whole backstory of being the supposed king of Galar at some point.

Also, just now I've learned you can catch the Ultra Beast's in Crown Tundra. I always pictured them being perfect add-on's to the Distortion World in potential D/P remakes. Though Platinum-content would likely not make it in anyway lol. But cool nonetheless.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I find the idea of Calyrex's different forms being mounting the horses really unique and kinda fun, builds upon its whole backstory of being the supposed king of Galar at some point.

Also, just now I've learned you can catch the Ultra Beast's in Crown Tundra. I always pictured them being perfect add-on's to the Distortion World in potential D/P remakes. Though Platinum-content would likely not make it in anyway lol. But cool nonetheless.
I wonder why the Ultra Beasts are getting their own segment. They have nothing new to bring. I wonder....

Top Bottom