• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well, at least the Darkest Day looks promising. Excited to see Zacian and Zamazenta vs Eternatus.

Oh, and Mewtwo is nice, or at least until it's confirmed to be the anime version of a Raid Battle and Goh ends up catching it instead of Ash.
The trailer gives off the feel of a movie.

We should wait till then, cause for all we know the episode could be a big deal if it goes in a certain direction (albeit an unlikely one). But next weeks episode should be an indicator to see if that scenario with Goh & Mewtwo is even possible.

Last edited:

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Also this will be with the new trailer

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Also this will be with the new trailer
oh thanks goodness i was worried serebii was having a break down when i first read that

Staarih

Smash Master
So, Crown Tundra arrives late October. Cool, I was expecting November so I'm glad.

The showcase didn't really show us much of anything new though? If the datamines are to be believed, we should still get more, maybe they'll be shown closer to release to maximize promotion. Crown Tundra looks cool though, nice to see those "complete bundles" be released, will definitely add to existing sales (but likely means no further DLC, as expected). G-Max Melmetal is also cool to finally see. The music video at the end was bomb.

Also, I just can't with Galarian Slowking:

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So, Crown Tundra arrives late October. Cool, I was expecting November so I'm glad.

The showcase didn't really show us much of anything new though? If the datamines are to be believed, we should still get more, maybe they'll be shown closer to release to maximize promotion. Crown Tundra looks cool though, nice to see those "complete bundles" be released, will definitely add to existing sales (but likely means no further DLC, as expected). G-Max Melmetal is also cool to finally see. The music video at the end was bomb.

Also, I just can't with Galarian Slowking:
That video had top tier animation.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well, it was nothing mind blowing, but the presentation was okay overall. Detailed some stuff about the features in the Crown Tundra, announced a game + DLC bundle that we all knew was coming, and topped it off with a neat music video at the end.

And a release date! October 22nd is...about what I expected, late October before Pikmin 3 Deluxe. Hopefully the three weeks that are open until then mean Ultimate's next DLC character will arrive beforehand.

Not that it matters for us, since I don't think a SwSh newcomer would be Fighter #7, but it'd mean not having to wait much longer.

Also, a surprise cameo in a breakdown tweet:

Kind of weird having them be the only screenshot not tied to the Crown Tundra...unless that is somehow a Crown Tundra scene...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I doubt we'll get a character this week on top of Pokémon news, and I also don't think SwSh is getting any kind of "DLC Spirit Event" tonight.

I'm predicting another generic Spirit event. Nothing new, as much as I'd like it to be.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
"Fluffy light! Lightweight Tournament" event (for Friday 10/2) (*edit: it's a Tournament not a spirit event, my bad)
This is a tournament where only light-weight fighters can participate

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Trend seems to be one thing a week
I doubt we'll get a character this week on top of Pokémon news, and I also don't think SwSh is getting any kind of "DLC Spirit Event" tonight.

I'm predicting another generic Spirit event. Nothing new, as much as I'd like it to be.
We did get both a Pokemon Presents and the Min Min Sakurai Presents on the same week, so i don't think it'd be that hard to believe we'd get something.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We did get both a Pokemon Presents and the Min Min Sakurai Presents on the same week, so i don't think it'd be that hard to believe we'd get something.
I think they try to avoid it whenever they can. Pokémon presentations did take up two separate weeks in June, so that could've made things difficult. I suppose they could've revealed Min Min on one of the last two days of the month (Monday and Tuesday), but who knows.

Either way, we won't have to wait long before we get an answer. We're almost halfway through the week, so if we don't hear anything in the next 24-48 hours, it's probably not this week.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think they try to avoid it whenever they can. Pokémon presentations did take up two separate weeks in June, so that could've made things difficult. I suppose they could've revealed Min Min on one of the last two days of the month (Monday and Tuesday), but who knows.

Either way, we won't have to wait long before we get an answer. We're almost halfway through the week, so if we don't hear anything in the next 24-48 hours, it's probably not this week.
I'd wager if we don't get an announcement tomorrow then it's not this week. I believe we haven't had a Sakurai Presents on Friday.
I presume everyone is still feeling fighter #7 is a 3rd party?

And speaking of the music video at the end:

Gotcha.png

That yawn.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well then. Looks like we won't have long to wait after all.

I presume everyone is still feeling fighter #7 is a 3rd party?
I figure this was probably meant to be an E3 reveal, so whoever it is, they're notable in some way. Whether a big name or one who has a long history or a character that's been requested for a long time or...et cetera. If you've seen my recent video, you know I have it narrowed down to Geno, Lloyd, and Rex for the three I think are most likely right now.

I think there's an outside chance we get someone from Sword & Shield here, but I believe it's more likely to happen later on instead. Fighter #8 or #9 or so.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well then. Looks like we won't have long to wait after all.

I figure this was probably meant to be an E3 reveal, so whoever it is, they're notable in some way. Whether a big name or one who has a long history or a character that's been requested for a long time or...et cetera. If you've seen my recent video, you know I have it narrowed down to Geno, Lloyd, and Rex for the three I think are most likely right now.

I think there's an outside chance we get someone from Sword & Shield here, but I believe it's more likely to happen later on instead. Fighter #8 or #9 or so.
I'll say a 3rd party is much needed right now due to people losing excitement over the fighter's pass for not having a 3rd party since Terry (because to them a 1st party automatically = meh).

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I do wonder what Sakurai's message will be about.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Considering how the video is roughly three minutes, we're probably getting either an invitation to join Sakurai later for a demonstration or an explanation as to why we still haven't gotten F7.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm now wondering if a pokemon reveal would get bigger backlash than Byleth did. Cause i'm seeing people expecting plenty of characters like back in January. Only this time instead of expecting a big 3rd party it's hoping they show a 3rd party after so long. And there's the risk of people giving up on the smash reveals.

I'll brace myself just in case we get the pokemon reveal tomorrow and maybe leave the internet for a few days till it calms down.

Apparently you need to pay Pokecoins in Go to transfer from there to Home. Super Scummy.
Update on Paying Pokecoins for transfering.

It seems you don't need to pay to transfer at all, but it'll be annoying as you have to wait periods of time to transfer again unless you pay pokecoins to speed up the cooldown.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Okay, because I haven't yet, I want to take a crack at scripting a reveal trailer. I don't think #7 would be us (or anyone from Sword & Shield) yet, but better safe than sorry, right?

Fade in to the base of a tapestry design not unlike those in Hammerlocke's vault. Gentle flames illuminate the scene, flickering from some location behind the viewer. The camera pans upward slowly to reveal more of the design, and a narration appears on the bottom of the screen.

"Once upon a time, not so long ago, the region of Galar met with a calamity only spoken of in legends."

(Voice acting for the narration is optional due to circumstances. If done, it would be the voice of a young woman with some kind of British accent, implied to be Sonia.)

As the camera pans upward, this tapestry is shown to be depicting the Wild Area during the Second Darkest Day. Heraldic depictions of a blackened sky and Dynamax-sized Pokémon wreaking havoc are displayed prominently.

The camera fades to black, then back in to show a different tapestry. This one depicts a forest clearing shrouded in mist.

"In Galar's time of need, a pair of young champions braved the odds, retrieving the regalia of two long-forgotten heroes...and reviving them once more."

As the camera pans up, it becomes clear that the tapestry is depicting the lakeside shrine deep within the Slumbering Weald. Two silhouettes of adolescent humans are seen presenting a sword and shield to two larger, distinctly wolf-shaped silhouettes. They look on with curious yet gentle expressions, to highlight their heroic nature despite their bestial appearance.

The camera fades out again, to a third tapestry. This one depicting the crumbling ramparts of a castle assailed by a strange, violet energy.

"Joining forces, the four heroes faced the calamity at its source, defeating it once again just as hundreds of years ago. "

As the camera pans, it doesn't take long to realize this tapestry is depicting the final battle against Eternatus' true form. The two humans are still in silhouette (since the player character has no canon appearance or gender), but now Zacian and Zamazenta are shown in full, their prowess with sword and shield on display doing battle against the otherworldly abomination.

"For now, Galar was at peace once more..."

The camera fades to black, then shows one more tapestry. This one has enough on the bottom to show Zacian and Zamazenta on a high cliff overlooking a wooded land, their gazes focused on the horizon as the rays of the evening sun beam down from above.

"But for the heroes of legend...they could not rest just yet. For far away in time and space, another realm was in need of saving."

As the camera pans upward, it becomes clear that the "sun" overhead...is actually a Smash Ball. The camera stops with the iconic symbol hanging overhead and Zacian and Zamazenta in view at its base.

"Wait a minute...I don't recall this part of the story."

Fade to black.

---

Cut to a bird's eye view of the World of Light during Dharkon's assault. The camera quickly passes the clearing where Hero's trailer began, then the ruined mountaintop where it finished, revealing this scene takes place some time afterward. Beyond the summit lies another ancient ruin, the remains of a village built amidst a mountain pass. Sounds of combat ring out.

Cut to ground level, showing Link and the Luminary in battle against Dharkon's puppet legion. They exchange a few blows with the puppet fighters, then two more enter the fray: Marth and Meta Knight, freshly liberated from the dark god's thrall. The heroes have made progress since we last saw them, but now they're becoming overwhelmed again.

The puppet fighters surround them and prepare to strike, but then...

A piercing howl rings out, staggering them. That is, a very recognizable three note howl, harmonized in two voices.

The camera backs up and looks overhead, as two familiar figures now stand on a cliff face overlooking the scene. At first they are draped in shadow, but not for long, as shimmering energy washes over them, forming their weapons and armor from thin air.

Now ready to enter the fray in this new world, Zacian and Zamazenta stand ready. Depending on who was chosen to be the newcomer, either--or both--step forward.

Cue splash art.

Cue gameplay.
-----

Anywho, based off the tourneys they've skipped, I'm assuming this character has at least one projectile and isn't extremely light. That doesn't narrow things down a whole lot, but it's a small lead.
That...is actually a very good point. There's a pretty good chance these character-limited tournaments have been arranged so any upcoming newcomers won't have barely missed their chance to participate. Because of that, we can reasonably guess that Fighter #7 is not a featherweight nor a close ranged brawler who lacks a projectile. Since if they were, the DLC team probably would've set things up so other tournament themes went first!

I'll say a 3rd party is much needed right now due to people losing excitement over the fighter's pass for not having a 3rd party since Terry (because to them a 1st party automatically = meh).
I have...a lot of feelings about that. Even despite all the talk to hype responsibly, even though Sakurai has said his team is favoring characters who can do new things first and foremost, we still have so much of the Smash community--and people looking in from outside--assuming these newcomers will be--or should be--chosen based on who would make the biggest headlines. Anyone less than the grandest of gaming stars will be deemed a letdown and an insult, no matter what they bring, no matter how notable they may be on their own terms.

All because they didn't fit some predetermined mold built by people completely outside of context...

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Okay, because I haven't yet, I want to take a crack at scripting a reveal trailer. I don't think #7 would be us (or anyone from Sword & Shield) yet, but better safe than sorry, right?

-----

That...is actually a very good point. There's a pretty good chance these character-limited tournaments have been arranged so any upcoming newcomers won't have barely missed their chance to participate. Because of that, we can reasonably guess that Fighter #7 is not a featherweight nor a close ranged brawler who lacks a projectile. Since if they were, the DLC team probably would've set things up so other tournament themes went first!

I have...a lot of feelings about that. Even despite all the talk to hype responsibly, even though Sakurai has said his team is favoring characters who can do new things first and foremost, we still have so much of the Smash community--and people looking in from outside--assuming these newcomers will be--or should be--chosen based on who would make the biggest headlines. Anyone less than the grandest of gaming stars will be deemed a letdown and an insult, no matter what they bring, no matter how notable they may be on their own terms.

All because they didn't fit some predetermined mold built by people completely outside of context...
I've already seen some people mention that they expect a pokemon rep for this pass, but that'd it dissapoint them just because we have enough pokemon characters and other series deserve representation. I get Ultimate brings attention to many series and get new people to try those new series, but it's never that straighfoward. The #1 priority of Sakurai is making unique & fun movesets out of these characters (while making fans happy) and pokemon are amoung the ones who lend themselves to the most potential out of everyone.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There might be a bit of complaining, but I don't expect a Pokémon newcomer to start WWIII within the fanbase.

I think a large part of the reason why Byleth was hated is because a lot of people don't play FE. For them, they got another character from a franchise that they have no connection with. I'd assume most Smash fans have played a Pokémon game, so even if they didn't necessarily want a Pokémon character, at least they're somewhat familiar with the universe.

The amount of criticism also depends on the Pokémon Sakurai chooses. If he continues the trend of choosing a starter, then of course people will be disappointed. That's predictable and unsurprising. Now if he were to choose something a little more unprecedented that still makes sense to people, then yeah, they'll probably have an easier time warming up to the Pokémon newcomer. Personally, I think that's the main reason why Min Min hasn't seen a whole lot of criticism despite most people being indifferent to ARMS.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There might be a bit of complaining, but I don't expect a Pokémon newcomer to start WWIII within the fanbase.

I think a large part of the reason why Byleth was hated is because a lot of people don't play FE. For them, they got another character from a franchise that they have no connection with. I'd assume most Smash fans have played a Pokémon game, so even if they didn't necessarily want a Pokémon character, at least they're somewhat familiar with the universe.

The amount of criticism also depends on the Pokémon Sakurai chooses. If he continues the trend of choosing a starter, then of course people will be disappointed. That's predictable and unsurprising. Now if he were to choose something a little more unprecedented that still makes sense to people, then yeah, they'll probably have an easier time warming up to the Pokémon newcomer. Personally, I think that's the main reason why Min Min hasn't seen a whole lot of criticism despite most people being indifferent to ARMS.
i think WWIII within the fandom happened over the dex

there were people who played FE who were disappointed with byleth

arms is one of the best selling switch games

Top Bottom