• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So it seems that Go's Raboot might be evolving soon (and maybe Ash's Riolu as well).
Firstly, more merch has appeared of both, namely Cinderace.
Secondly, the return to Alola episode has a focus of Kiawe battling Go to see his battle prowes, which is followed 2 weeks later by Ash's rematch against Bea.
The 2 pokemon might be evolving in these episodes, which means they could start getting into some arcs regarding Galar soon.
well theyre not wasting any time. wonder what theyll do for the rest of the gen, perhaps an arch with kubfu and one with calyrex

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
well theyre not wasting any time. wonder what theyll do for the rest of the gen, perhaps an arch with kubfu and one with calyrex
There's the Champion battles culminating with Leon, and from there i don't think they'll spend too much time with the dlc wild areas (maybe 4-5 episodes with each). Though they could work in training with Kubfu after a major loss.

But I do think of an arc that could happen at the end: a Rainbow Rocket arc (yeah, getting quite fanfictiony here). The series is about going to many regions, seeing familiar faces (including companions, pokemon, champions and rivals) and there's some unfinished build up from Sun/Moon regarding Giovanni knowing of Ultra space & The Blinding One (Necrozma). I highly doubt they put that stuff only for team rocket to fail to catch necrozma immediately. Plus we still have the unknown whereabouts of Mohn.
Plus, the final season of Journeys will most likely be in 2022, the 25th anniversary of the anime (could just be a coincidence, but the series could close with a bang like we've never seen before). Of course, i'm being cautious with hype.

Regarding games, i was wondering if anywone wants to rank their favorite pokemon games from favorite to least?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Realistically, Kiawe should wipe the floor with Goh. An Alolan League semifinalist should not lose to the guy who catches dozens of Pokemon but never trains.

Anywho, it's nice seeing Ash's previous team. Kinda sad how night and day his relationship with his current team is compared to his Alolan one. Doesn't feel like Ash has bonded at all with Dragonite and Gengar outside the episode they were caught in, and he hasn't done squat with Galarian FarFetch'd.

I'm glad we'll see them again.

I still feel they're gonna do something with Melmetal, as it has that Gmax form hidden in the game. Maybe they'll do something with Ash's?
Maybe, maybe not. A lot of Megas were never properly showcased in the anime series, so it's possible nothing will happen.

Plus, Gigantamax is supposed to be exclusive to Galar, so I'm not sure how they'd explain that.

Regarding games, i was wondering if anywone wants to rank their favorite pokemon games from favorite to least?
I'll have to think about how I'd rank the first five, but regarding 3D Pokemon games, I think they've gotten better with each installment. So...

SwSh > SuMo > XY

The Wild area is main reason why I like SwSh the best. It's not perfect, but it's definitely something I want to see them implement in future games. SuMo was good, and while I like that they switched things up for a change, maybe it was a little too much change? Wasn't a huge fan of how they handled the gym replacements. XY was the first 3D Pokemon game, so I'll cut them a little slack. Still, I remember myself getting a little bored the first time I went through it. Somehow it felt even more traditional and formulaic than the previous entry.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
There's the Champion battles culminating with Leon, and from there i don't think they'll spend too much time with the dlc wild areas (maybe 4-5 episodes with each). Though they could work in training with Kubfu after a major loss.

But I do think of an arc that could happen at the end: a Rainbow Rocket arc (yeah, getting quite fanfictiony here). The series is about going to many regions, seeing familiar faces (including companions, pokemon, champions and rivals) and there's some unfinished build up from Sun/Moon regarding Giovanni knowing of Ultra space & The Blinding One (Necrozma). I highly doubt they put that stuff only for team rocket to fail to catch necrozma immediately. Plus we still have the unknown whereabouts of Mohn.
Plus, the final season of Journeys will most likely be in 2022, the 25th anniversary of the anime (could just be a coincidence, but the series could close with a bang like we've never seen before). Of course, i'm being cautious with hype.

I feel they'll keep Journeys going for a lot longer.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm one of those guys who finds the newest games usually being my favorite as they are the most recent haha! No matter if they're flawed to some extent, they're still supposedly the "peak" of Pokémon thus far and I usually enjoy every game I play. So, Sw/Sh would be my favorite right now, but of course Red/Blue have a special place in my heart for getting me into Pokémon and I'll always have a soft spot for Diamond/Pearl because there's something about Sinnoh, and HG/SS are the ultimate remakes... but new is always new and I enjoy that.

I've seen polls around about ranking the 3D Pokémon games and it's kinda hilarious to see X/Y getting suddenly so much love when they've usually been considered some of the worst games. I guess it just solidifies the fact that as time goes on, the newest gen always gets the most hate while the games two/three gens back suddenly get the most love (as has been with Black/White as of late). I mean sure, every game does have their fans and haters, but this seems to be a common trend haha.

Anywho, it's nice seeing Ash's previous team. Kinda sad how night and day his relationship with his current team is compared to his Alolan one. Doesn't feel like Ash has bonded at all with Dragonite and Gengar outside the episode they were caught in, and he hasn't done squat with Galarian FarFetch'd.
I feel like Galarian Farfetch'd is slowly getting there, the battle it had against Bea a few episodes back was honestly quite good even though it lost miserably. It definitely has potential and a potential (likely?) Sirfetch'd scenario feels promising. But yeah, Riolu is hogging all the screen time right now, wonder if the same continues once it becomes a Lucario. I agree on Dragonite and Gengar, shame really, I guess there's only so much development fully evolved Pokemon can be given.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Realistically, Kiawe should wipe the floor with Goh. An Alolan League semifinalist should not lose to the guy who catches dozens of Pokemon but never trains.

Yeah, tell that to the Pikachu that beat a Latios and then lost to a level 5 Snivy.

I think the fact that they're fully evolved doesn't give much room for character development (it doesn't mean it can't happen, but it needs more effort to think about). Plus i think it's nice seeing some bits with Dragnite being a sweetheart as well as seeing it kick ass in battles, especially against Korrina.

Gengar I think is the one that's been left in the dust. Galarian Farfetch'd was just caught recently, so it's still too soon to say anything yet. It's rivalry with Riolu does have plenty of potential (and an arc about it's leak breaking leading into evolution just writes itself).
I do think they should dile back Riolu's screentime a bit (I get it, Lucario is hella popular and they want to capitalize as much as possible, but we want to see more of Dragonite and Gengar).
It's this inbalance of pokemon screentime that makes me worried about Ash catching more than 6 pokemon in the series.

As for my favorite games, here's the gist of it:
Sun - Black 2 - Ultra Sun - Black
Sword - Soul Silver - Platinum - Y
ORAS - Let's Go Eevee - Silver
Average: Yellow
All other games i haven't played and most likely won't.

The ones in best are games that really caught me off guard in the narrative and it's challenge. It's easy to asy that they have the best characters (mostly). Sun especially left me speechless a couple of times.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Out of the games I've played, I have to give this ranking
1. White, really fun and enjoyable. The sprites and music are great as well.
2. Diamond, pretty much the same reasons, except I grew up with Diamond, so I just love it.
3. Ultra Moon, the postgame got boring after Episode RR, but it's still fun nonetheless.
4. Firered, my first game. It broke recently, but it holds a special place in my heart.
5. Sapphire, may be at the end of the list, but still just as good as Firered.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Doing just my top 5 faves, it would be:
SuMo, HGSS, SWSH, USUM, BW2
Personally I think all the mainline games are all good and have their own merits to them

Also has anyone seen why Pokémon Masters is trending on twitter

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I do wonder why DX never caught on then? Pokken DX, Mystery Dungeon DX, etc.

Staarih

Smash Master
It's the marketing team's fault for not thinking of a better hashtag. There's no way they didn't notice this.

Pokémon Masters EX
Oh god, now I can’t unsee this name haha. Not anything too serious, kinda funny actually, but of course its something people jump on to. Oh well, I’ve been playing it since day one and will continue to. Oh, and the reason why it probably took off in Twitter was initially a Twitter vote for the next 6 star sync pair in the game, people then seemingly caught onto the name.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So we finally got something to the long rumored 3d mario collection... a shadowdropped direct.
And it's releasing next week... (AND apparently it's limited run only till end of March, so does that mean after that day the game is discontinued?)

I get the feeling the 3D All Stars & Pikmin 3 Deluxe are all the "new" games we're getting for the rest of this year.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So we finally got something to the long rumored 3d mario collection... a shadowdropped direct.
And it's releasing next week... (AND apparently it's limited run only till end of March, so does that mean after that day the game is discontinued?)

I get the feeling the 3D All Stars & Pikmin 3 Deluxe are all the "new" games we're getting for the rest of this year.
Who knows at this point? I thought I might've been on to something with the two month window between reveals and releases, but then Nintendo smiles and goes, "Surprise! New physical game will be sold in stores approximately 15 days from now!" To make things even more confusing, I'm not even sure how a Mario Direct effects our chances of getting a general Direct in the near future. There have been times when they've had Directs for specific franchises literally days after a general Direct.

Oh well. News is news, and I guess we still have the promise of a Pokemon Direct/presentation/trailer later this year so they can show off Crown Tundra.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Who knows at this point? I thought I might've been on to something with the two month window between reveals and releases, but then Nintendo smiles and goes, "Surprise! New physical game will be sold in stores approximately 15 days from now!" To make things even more confusing, I'm not even sure how a Mario Direct effects our chances of getting a general Direct in the near future. There have been times when they've had Directs for specific franchises literally days after a general Direct.

Oh well. News is news, and I guess we still have the promise of a Pokemon Direct/presentation/trailer later this year so they can show off Crown Tundra.
And potentially a Sakurai presents fighter #7.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You know those times where you want to reply to something but never get the chance to, and by the time you do the topic's already changed three times? That's how I'm feeling at the moment.

I wouldn't say it's a sure thing that we're getting a Pokémon newcomer, but it definitely feels pretty likely. Maybe somewhere from 70-80%, which is really high considering all the different directions Sakurai et al could've taken with this set. But yeah, I figure #7 isn't our time yet--it'll (probably) be some kind of big name headliner since it'd have (probably) been an E3 reveal if everything hadn't gone off the rails.

I also doubt the pandemic changed the order of reveals--these things are planned out further in advance than most speculators realize. Development for Fighters #6-8 was probably roadmapped back in December at the latest!

Isn't this the first time so far that Journeys has reunited Ash with team members from a previous saga? This could lead some some interesting stuff going forward, depending on what they have planned for the episode afterward that they're keeping under wraps.

Wouldn't it be wild if Ash's Lycanroc rejoined him and kickstarted a trend of his aces from other regions following suit over the next couple years?

Or maybe they're hiding that Goh's Raboot and/or Ash's Riolu are evolving then. Probably more likely.

Yeah, I figured there'd be something in the first half of this month, but a Mario-centric Direct leaves us in the dark for even longer now. It seems like 3D All Stars actually isn't meant to be Nintendo's big holiday title for this year...though who knows if the game they wanted in the November/early December slot will be ready in time.

It also means we're back to having no goddamn idea when more Smash news is coming. You figure it can't be too long until #7 is ready--Sakurai has stressed that actual development hasn't been affected much, so v9.0 will probably happen within the next month or so. The question is when they'll pull the curtain back on who it is.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The thing that concerns me is the fact that both the physical and digital release of the 3D Mario collection will no longer be available after March 2021.

Why would you limit such a big game? Let me guess, you'll release Mario 64 for Nintendo Switch online afterwards.

They better release all the games individually at least digitally.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The thing that concerns me is the fact that both the physical and digital release of the 3D Mario collection will no longer be available after March 2021.

Why would you limit such a big game? Let me guess, you'll release Mario 64 for Nintendo Switch online afterwards.

They better release all the games individually at least digitally.
It increases sales. Tell the public an item is limited run, limited quantity and suddenly they'll be very concerned about getting their hands on something they orginally wouldn't have cared about that much.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It increases sales. Tell the public an item is limited run, limited quantity and suddenly they'll be very concerned about getting their hands on something they orginally wouldn't have cared about that much.
I gather that they won't fix Sunshine's many glitches on it's missions.
But I guess it is what it is. Still sucks, but it's Nintendo.

I gather that we'll get Crown Tundra News in October, cause I kind of expect them to have a direct this month to tell us of their plans for the rest of 2020 and their holiday game (if they have one).

Isn't this the first time so far that Journeys has reunited Ash with team members from a previous saga? This could lead some some interesting stuff going forward, depending on what they have planned for the episode afterward that they're keeping under wraps.

Wouldn't it be wild if Ash's Lycanroc rejoined him and kickstarted a trend of his aces from other regions following suit over the next couple years?

Or maybe they're hiding that Goh's Raboot and/or Ash's Riolu are evolving then. Probably more likely.
We'll see with Sunday's preview for the Alola episode. I hope it's more than just build character development for Go and/or evolving Raboot.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

wasnt new pokemon snap slated for this year?

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Haven’t like most of the dlc fighters come out around when there was smash amiibo coming out. If so then we’re probably getting smash news around the time the joker and hero amiibo release

also I just misread bowser’s fury as bowser’s furry

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Haven’t like most of the dlc fighters come out around when there was smash amiibo coming out. If so then we’re probably getting smash news around the time the joker and hero amiibo release
Actually, there really is a trend...albeit a loose one.

New amiibo waves so far have been coming out some time relatively close to when a DLC newcomer is added. If this precedent holds up, Fighter #7 will be happening...some time between next week and early next month.

Doesn't help narrow things down, but it does give us reason to think we won't be waiting indefinitely, at least.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Actually, there really is a trend...albeit a loose one.

New amiibo waves so far have been coming out some time relatively close to when a DLC newcomer is added. If this precedent holds up, Fighter #7 will be happening...some time between next week and early next month.

Doesn't help narrow things down, but it does give us reason to think we won't be waiting indefinitely, at least.
It might be able to be applied to F7, but I think amiibo waves will be more scarce from here on out.

If we get the bare minimum of two new amiibo in each wave and no more, we'd be getting F9 and F10's amiibo alongside F11. It usually takes nine to twelve months to make a new amiibo, so getting those two amiibo out so soon would be difficult.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I just remembered that there's plenty of smash events going on for the rest of this year that are themed to Mario, more than with other videogame series.
Heck, this is the second mario only tournament event we've had. The last one was on September 2019, so why are we getting basically a repeat?
Would it be possible to tie Mario content into smash, like a character or stage?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just remembered that there's plenty of smash events going on for the rest of this year that are themed to Mario, more than with other videogame series.
Heck, this is the second mario only tournament event we've had. The last one was on September 2019, so why are we getting basically a repeat?
Would it be possible to tie Mario content into smash, like a character or stage?
If there was a character or stage coming soon, the Mario Direct would've been the place to show it.

I guess we'll have until March of next year. After F8 though, I don't think there would be anything tied in with the anniversary. That's not to say we couldn't get a Mario character later on, but a standalone stage would seem unlikely unless there's a really big Mario game like Odyssey coming out next year.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
If there was a character or stage coming soon, the Mario Direct would've been the place to show it.

I guess we'll have until March of next year. After F8 though, I don't think there would be anything tied in with the anniversary. That's not to say we couldn't get a Mario character later on, but a standalone stage would seem unlikely unless there's a really big Mario game like Odyssey coming out next year.
The only instance of not having a character in that direct is if it were someone like Geno, a "kind of 3rd party" character. Or maybe they didn't want smash to overshadow the 3d mario collection and the "buzz" it'd generate.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Actually not too sure about that one. I can’t recall a time where a smash reveal happened in a series specific direct. And while of course there’s a first time for everything, there’s a precedent of smash not appearing in things like this. Especially if it, hypothetically, was someone like Geno who isn’t owned Nintendo. But hey, what do I know?

Also hi Zacian thread:239:

You guys are probably the biggest support thread for a Galar Pokémon, huh?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Actually not too sure about that one. I can’t recall a time where a smash reveal happened in a series specific direct. And while of course there’s a first time for everything, there’s a precedent of smash not appearing in things like this. Especially if it, hypothetically, was someone like Geno who isn’t owned Nintendo. But hey, what do I know?

Also hi Zacian thread:239:

You guys are probably the biggest support thread for a Galar Pokémon, huh?
To be fair, I don't think there's been many instances where a relevant character came close to a series specific Direct. Even if they wanted to reveal a character in one of those Directs, I don't think they could've anyway.

Since Smash was covered in the Mario Direct, I got the impression that they could've revealed a Mario character if they had one. Because they didn't, I'm guessing the next character isn't from Mario or it's a special case like Geno.

As for the size of our thread, I honestly don't know how big we are compared to the rest. It's been a while since I checked.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
To be fair, I don't think there's been many instances where a relevant character came close to a series specific Direct. Even if they wanted to reveal a character in one of those Directs, I don't think they could've anyway.

Since Smash was covered in the Mario Direct, I got the impression that they could've revealed a Mario character if they had one. Because they didn't, I'm guessing the next character isn't from Mario or it's a special case like Geno.

As for the size of our thread, I honestly don't know how big we are compared to the rest. It's been a while since I checked.
I expected for the thread to be the biggest. But i was caught off guard that it's the biggest by a long shot. The 2nd biggest thread for a galar pokemon is Cinderace at 10 pages.

To be fair, we talk about many things other than pokemon and smash bros, and even some nitty gritty details when it comes to smash bros character inclusions.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
lets be careful with that one, everyones gonna have their own reason why their own want is most deserving of the anniversary spot

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
lets be careful with that one, everyones gonna have their own reason why their own want is most deserving of the anniversary spot
I know, but that could mean we'd get our next character between now and October.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we start at Min Min and divide the time up to the December 2021 deadline by five, we should be getting a character every 3-4 months.

We're getting close to that amount of time, so a reveal could happen very soon.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If we start at Min Min and divide the time up to the December 2021 deadline by five, we should be getting a character every 3-4 months.

We're getting close to that amount of time, so a reveal could happen very soon.
assuming that there are no delays

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Thing is, while Nintendo's making a big deal of Mario's 35th anniversary, Smash tends not to choose characters for celebratory reasons. Not only that, we've never had a newcomer reveal before in a series-specific Direct (other than Smash ones, obviously). If there is a Mario character set to happen soon (my instincts, as little as they matter, keep telling me Geno might be next), it'd be for reasons unrelated to the anniversary (like being a highly requested character that'd fit what would've been an E3 reveal like Banjo and Ridley the previous years).

Try not to get caught up in all the talk of pomp and circumstance. Lot of speculation still treats characters and their announcements like a means to an end of representing or commemorating something, but Sakurai has said the characters are an end themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom