• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I just realized that next year will be pokemon's 25th anniversary. I don't know how companies tipically celebrate 25 years, but i've heard it's treated as a big deal in gaming.

So i'm wondering what they'll do next year compared to 2016.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just realized that next year will be pokemon's 25th anniversary. I don't know how companies tipically celebrate 25 years, but i've heard it's treated as a big deal in gaming.

So i'm wondering what they'll do next year compared to 2016.
well with zelda they got a celebrity fan to do some adverts, released a book with behind the scenes stuff and revealing new stuff to the canon, had some concerts, mario had a zelda themed level and thats just the stuff i can recall of the top of my head

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
They technically already did that for the 20th anniversary so maybe they’ll repeat it for the 25th

by the way, have y’all seen the Diamond and Pearl Beta designs
Saw them. Poor Regigigas and Probopass. But why did they cut the Craniados line designs? They look epic.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
Gible is my favorite out of the beta designs, look at the little land shark
AADF669E-792D-419E-9E45-47A6F573C242.jpeg

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So... i've been seeing some interesting "patterns" that people are trying to find so they can determine what character will get into smash next.

And the one that's most interesting to me (while also sound kinga little preachy) is the "Free Trial" pattern.

Basically for the dlc 1st party reps to join smash so far, they've been acompanied by a free trial of one of that series's game:

-Fire Emblem Warriors free trial in Japan 2 days before Byleth was announced.
-Arms free trial after announceing arms rep for smash.

And now they're looking at the Pokken Tournament DX free trial that's going on right now for the next dlc character. Everyone still agrees that a pokemon will come from Sword & Shield.

I definitely find this to be very much just a coincidence, but what do you think? It would make sense business wise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So... i've been seeing some interesting "patterns" that people are trying to find so they can determine what character will get into smash next.

And the one that's most interesting to me (while also sound kinga little preachy) is the "Free Trial" pattern.

Basically for the dlc 1st party reps to join smash so far, they've been acompanied by a free trial of one of that series's game:

-Fire Emblem Warriors free trial in Japan 2 days before Byleth was announced.
-Arms free trial after announceing arms rep for smash.

And now they're looking at the Pokken Tournament DX free trial that's going on right now for the next dlc character. Everyone still agrees that a pokemon will come from Sword & Shield.

I definitely find this to be very much just a coincidence, but what do you think? It would make sense business wise.
maybe, but surely that logic would suggest a pokemon from pokken and a free trial of sword and shield would suggest a gen 8 pokemon

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we'll get a gen 8 character announced for both Smash and Pokken? Then later we'll get an announcement for a new Pokken game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe we'll get a gen 8 character announced for both Smash and Pokken? Then later we'll get an announcement for a new Pokken game.
Possibly, though I'm not sure if a Pokemon being added in Pokken would help that same Pokemon get added in Smash. Sakurai chose Incineroar even after Pokken DX launched with Decidueye, so that makes me think Sakurai wants to be more orginal and choose a Pokemon who wouldn't come across as him copying someone else's ideas.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
Possibly, though I'm not sure if a Pokemon being added in Pokken would help that same Pokemon get added in Smash. Sakurai chose Incineroar even after Pokken DX launched with Decidueye, so that makes me think Sakurai wants to be more original and choose a Pokemon who wouldn't come across as him copying someone else's ideas.
Well perhaps that could be the case but I feel that Sakurai genuinely wanted to add a wrestler themed character to Smash (since we were lacking one) and it just so happens that he was given the opportunity to add a Pokemon who happens to have a resemblance to the famous Tiger Mask, both the influential wrestling manga/anime series and the super popular Japanese wrestlers.

In the case of Smash DLC the situation is different, Sakurai was taking requests from his bosses and so perhaps TPC, Nintendo, or a certain producer from Game Freak could have contacted him to request to add a specific gen 8 mon and they might not even bother telling him that they're also planning to make that same mon playable in Pokken (assuming that it happens) in order to avoid influencing his final decision.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well perhaps that could be the case but I feel that Sakurai genuinely wanted to add a wrestler themed character to Smash (since we were lacking one) and it just so happens that he was given the opportunity to add a Pokemon who happens to have a resemblance to the famous Tiger Mask, both the influential wrestling manga/anime series and the super popular Japanese wrestlers.
is sakurai even a fan or is that just conjecture?

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
is sakurai even a fan or is that just conjecture?
Well Sakurai has never directly stated that he was or wasn't a fan of Tiger Mask, he only mentioned stuff like growing up during All Japan Pro-Wrestling and New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s heyday. However some people questioned why Sakurai decided to specifically chose Incineroar over other wrestlers like Mike Haggar or Star Man (from NES Pro Wrestling) if he wanted to add a pro-wrestler type character. Perhaps Incineroar's resemblance to Tiger Mask is what won him over in the end, but I'll admit it's nothing more than conjecture.

IMO it's better than assuming that he didn't want to make Decidueye a playable fighter just because someone else got to do it first.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well Sakurai has never directly stated that he was or wasn't a fan of Tiger Mask, he only mentioned stuff like growing up during All Japan Pro-Wrestling and New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s heyday. However some people questioned why Sakurai decided to specifically chose Incineroar over other wrestlers like Mike Haggar or Star Man (from NES Pro Wrestling) if he wanted to add a pro-wrestler type character. Perhaps Incineroar's resemblance to Tiger Mask is what won him over in the end, but I'll admit it's nothing more than conjecture.

IMO it's better than assuming that he didn't want to make Decidueye a playable fighter just because someone else got to do it first.
i do agree that it seems unlikely that he didnt choose decidueye cause of pokken but then its hard to know what that guy is really thinking

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Tiger Mask is a big pop culture icon in Japan that the west ignores kinda like Gundam and Dragon Quest in that sense, its something they know about (also anyone unironically thinking the nes game should have been chosen is just a petty hater who cant stand being wrong about games he never played, if a retro choice was added it would never be the obscure side character who shares a name with an AT, this is not even delusional, only a malicious troll thats hateful of inocent people for liking other characters would say, likewise smash was in development for a good while so pretending sakurai would be so petty as to change plans due other games is also either denial or malice)

So about the Tiger Mask resemblance (and also for being the biggest wrestler option other thand Zangief and that would never happen without Chunli happening first) you are absolutely right: Incineroar being quite literally Tiger Mask is definetly a reason for his choice and I doubt any japanese fan would ever doubt that, that alongside also having tons of personality, a fitting moveset, being unique in smash, being extremely fun to play with (though thats after the fact, though he's also fun to use in VGC) made Incineroar the very best choice that Sakurai could ever choose by far, and this in a generation that probably has the most smash moveset material in all of pokemon (with free reign I would unironiicaly add like 12 or so Alolan pokemon in smash, thats how fitting and cool they all are, though Incineroar would still be number 1 of course since Sakurai proved it was a great choce).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So about the Tiger Mask resemblance (and also for being the biggest wrestler option other thand Zangief and that would never happen without Chunli happening first) you are absolutely right: Incineroar being quite literally Tiger Mask is definetly a reason for his choice and I doubt any japanese fan would ever doubt that, that alongside also having tons of personality, a fitting moveset, being unique in smash, being extremely fun to play with (though thats after the fact, though he's also fun to use in VGC) made Incineroar the very best choice that Sakurai could ever choose by far, and this in a generation that probably has the most smash moveset material in all of pokemon (with free reign I would unironiicaly add like 12 or so Alolan pokemon in smash, thats how fitting and cool they all are, though Incineroar would still be number 1 of course since Sakurai proved it was a great choce).
that is pure conjecture

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Above anything, I think it's safer to assume a large part of the reason Incineroar was chosen was because of its push from Game Freak, presence in the anime, and appearance in the I Choose You movie. We actually have previous decisions and statements from Sakurai that line up with this way of thinking.

It's a little presumptive to say that Sakurai had ever given serious consideration to someone like Zangief or Mike Haggar when neither he or the fanbase seem to bring those names up. Likewise, just because Tiger Mask is big in Japan doesn't mean Sakurai chose Incineroar because of it. It's possible he wasn't even thinking of Tiger Mask and instead was looking at Incineroar as a wrestler, plain and simple.

Ultimately though, it's up for debate what Sakurai was thinking. All we know is that Sakurai really wanted a wrestler. There's likely more behind his decision to add Incineroar, but those will probably remain nothing more than theories.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Above anything, I think it's safer to assume a large part of the reason Incineroar was chosen was because of its push from Game Freak, presence in the anime, and appearance in the I Choose You movie. We actually have previous decisions and statements from Sakurai that line up with this way of thinking.

It's a little presumptive to say that Sakurai had ever given serious consideration to someone like Zangief or Mike Haggar when neither he or the fanbase seem to bring those names up. Likewise, just because Tiger Mask is big in Japan doesn't mean Sakurai chose Incineroar because of it. It's possible he wasn't even thinking of Tiger Mask and instead was looking at Incineroar as a wrestler, plain and simple.

Ultimately though, it's up for debate what Sakurai was thinking. All we know is that Sakurai really wanted a wrestler. There's likely more behind his decision to add Incineroar, but those will probably remain nothing more than theories.
or hes says something contradictory that deeply confuses everyone. again

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
maybe, but surely that logic would suggest a pokemon from pokken and a free trial of sword and shield would suggest a gen 8 pokemon
The thing is Byleth isn't in Warriors, so having a Pokken free trial doesn't mean the pokemon character has to be from pokken.

If they could use a Fire Emblem spin-off to coincide with a character from a mainline game (who isn't even featured in said spin-off), they could easily use Pokken to promote a character from a mainline game (who isn't featured in Pokken).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The thing is Byleth isn't in Warriors, so having a Pokken free trial doesn't mean the pokemon character has to be from pokken.

If they could use a Fire Emblem spin-off to coincide with a character from a mainline game (who isn't even featured in said spin-off), they could easily use Pokken to promote a character from a mainline game (who isn't featured in Pokken).
fair point. though fire emblem often seems to be an exception

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Honestly, I think these game trials and online events are a red herring--they don't mean anything Smash-related. There've also been tournaments for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Tennis Aces, and no one's insinuating they might be hinting at a Smash reveal. Nintendo's just giving attention to games that put focus on competitive online multiplayer at a time where such a thing is being actively sought out more than usual.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pikmin 3 Deluxe was shadowdropped.

Doesn't mean much for us or anything else related to Smash, but it would seem to indicate Nintendo has more to show for 2020.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Pikmin 3 Deluxe was shadowdropped.

Doesn't mean much for us or anything else related to Smash, but it would seem to indicate Nintendo has more to show for 2020.
I honestly don't know if I prefer this approach. There's bound to be people who don't hear about this.

Many people didn't know of Paper Mario even after it launched.

Also:

Apparently there was a smash update yesterday.
-First off, I can finally enjoy hearing all the final boss themes on the stage they belong.
-Second, this technically means we can get dlc stages added outside of the fighter's pass, though the only difference is that there's 1 less platform and the other 2 are slightly closer together.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sword and Shield are now up to 18.22 million, which puts them at #5 right above Super Mario Odyssey.

This also means SwSh is officially the best-selling Pokemon game since Gold/Silver.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So news.
According to a teaser, Zacian and Zamazenta will appear in the anime soon. Makes sense as another one showing Eternamax Eternatus. In the same teaser, it shows that Goh's Raboot and Ash's Riolu will evolve, and that we will be heading back to Alola, probably seeing Ash's old pokemon and friends again.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So news.
According to a teaser, Zacian and Zamazenta will appear in the anime soon. Makes sense as another one showing Eternamax Eternatus. In the same teaser, it shows that Goh's Raboot and Ash's Riolu will evolve, and that we will be heading back to Alola, probably seeing Ash's old pokemon and friends again.
And oddly enough there's no sign of Grookey anywhere. I wonder why they'd exclude a starter for this long.

What i am excited for is seeing that Go not only seems to be making a team, but will also start getting into battles (and maybe even become Ash's rival).

An with the alola crew showing up again, that confirms a statement about having major old characters returning in this series, which gives hope for past compaions, rivals, champions and hopefully ash's pokemon to show up.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've seen a few theories that Ash and Goh might start trying to catch Legendaries, which sounds sort of ridiculous, but I guess you really can't write anything off as ridiculous in this series. Either way, we know Eternatus is coming up, and we also know the Slumbering Weald will probably make an appearance soon too. Tie that in with blue and red colors constantly being used with Ash and Goh respectively, and I think you can figure out where things are headed.

The Alolan crew returning is nice, though I'm not entirely sold on a bunch of other returning characters showing up. There might be a few hints of Brock returning, but there's still a boatload of Galar characters who have yet to debut.

Grookey still being absent is getting a little ridiculous, and I'll be more than a little annoyed if it waited this long only to be caught by Goh and become a recurring Pokemon who "exists".

...Oh, and we're getting Lucario and Cinderace. Anyone legitimately surprised by this? No?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've seen a few theories that Ash and Goh might start trying to catch Legendaries, which sounds sort of ridiculous, but I guess you really can't write anything off as ridiculous in this series. Either way, we know Eternatus is coming up, and we also know the Slumbering Weald will probably make an appearance soon too. Tie that in with blue and red colors constantly being used with Ash and Goh respectively, and I think you can figure out where things are headed.

The Alolan crew returning is nice, though I'm not entirely sold on a bunch of other returning characters showing up. There might be a few hints of Brock returning, but there's still a boatload of Galar characters who have yet to debut.

Grookey still being absent is getting a little ridiculous, and I'll be more than a little annoyed if it waited this long only to be caught by Goh and become a recurring Pokemon who "exists".

...Oh, and we're getting Lucario and Cinderace. Anyone legitimately surprised by this? No?
The thing about a few past characters is that we need to fill up who the remaining top 4 of the World Coronation series will be. We know for certain Leon, Raihan and Lance will be part of it. And of course Ash would have to be there as well leaving 4 spots. Some candidates i can think off the top of my head are: Cynthia, Steven, Alain, Diantha and maybe Alder.

As for the others there really isn't much need to have a lot go on in their return episodes, it can just be a situation of "Hey, long time no see. How have your been?" and it's more for catching up on things or just a silly little plot. Not saying it's guranteed that past companion will return, but the fact that a lot of fanservice is showing up in this series, namely Ash getting Dragonite, Gengar & Riolu, tells me it's possible now more than ever to bring them back.

Maybe not now, but perhaps next year or next season.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well they did plan for celebi to be a major character in the anime at one point, bonnie promised to go on a pokemon journey with zygarde, mallow befriended a shaymin and lillie has a magearna so doesnt seem so ridiculous

Top Bottom