• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Or they're used to getting pokemon with a humanoid body type and don't believe we could get any pokemon that roughly shares Squirtle, Ivysaur or Charizard's anatomy.
yeah i can see why theyd think that, it would be shame we should have some more pokemon with unusual body types

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We've made it to 30 pages. Congrats to everyone who contributed, and let's keep the support for the Legendaries going.

Or they're used to getting pokemon with a humanoid body type and don't believe we could get any pokemon that roughly shares Squirtle, Ivysaur or Charizard's anatomy.
That could be part of the problem, but that doesn't explain why Mimikyu became so popular when it has neither legs nor arms.

The Smash fanbase sort of picks and chooses which rules they want to follow when predicting which Pokemon have the best chance. Some say popularity is most important, but why does the support between Dragapult and Toxtricity differ so much? Some say the Pokemon needs to be humanoid, but why did Eevee get so much support for Ultimate's base roster? Some say Game Freak needs to promote the Pokemon, but hasn't the Grookey line gotten significantly less promotion compared to the Scorbunny line? Hasn't Toxtricity's promotion been fairly bare bones so far?

Personally, I think the biggest influence is the Pokemon's design. If the design clicks, you get support. If it doesn't, you don't get support regardless of how obvious and fitting you might seem for Smash (Incineroar). The next biggest influence is probably the Pokemon's type, and I don't think I need to go in-depth with my reasoning when grass types have been requested since ORAS.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We've made it to 30 pages. Congrats to everyone who contributed, and let's keep the support for the Legendaries going.

That could be part of the problem, but that doesn't explain why Mimikyu became so popular when it has neither legs nor arms.

The Smash fanbase sort of picks and chooses which rules they want to follow when predicting which Pokemon have the best chance. Some say popularity is most important, but why does the support between Dragapult and Toxtricity differ so much? Some say the Pokemon needs to be humanoid, but why did Eevee get so much support for Ultimate's base roster? Some say Game Freak needs to promote the Pokemon, but hasn't the Grookey line gotten significantly less promotion compared to the Scorbunny line? Hasn't Toxtricity's promotion been fairly bare bones so far?

Personally, I think the biggest influence is the Pokemon's design. If the design clicks, you get support. If it doesn't, you don't get support regardless of how obvious and fitting you might seem for Smash (Incineroar). The next biggest influence is probably the Pokemon's type, and I don't think I need to go in-depth with my reasoning when grass types have been requested since ORAS.
and yet from what little sakurai has told us it would seem his just looks at a chart of all the new pokemon and goes "that one"

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
and yet from what little sakurai has told us it would seem his just looks at a chart of all the new pokemon and goes "that one"
This trend, did it start with Greninja?

Cause i think there was enough time for lucario to be established before being added. And if so, they lucked out with Greninja.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai says he's the one who makes the call on which Pokemon gets added into Smash, but he could just be saying that to cover for Nintendo and the Pokemon Company. From a business perspective it would be crazy to let just one guy make the decision on which Pokemon should be "the face of the generation".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This trend, did it start with Greninja?

Cause i think there was enough time for lucario to be established before being added. And if so, they lucked out with Greninja.
well i do believe lucario was revealed half way through gen 3, after brawl's development had begun. though weve no way of knowing when he was added and i suppose to be fair sakurai has only really explained the inclusion for greninja, inceneroar and jigglypuff. the rest we just have our assumptions

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Sakurai says he's the one who makes the call on which Pokemon gets added into Smash, but he could just be saying that to cover for Nintendo and the Pokemon Company. From a business perspective it would be crazy to let just one guy make the decision on which Pokemon should be "the face of the generation".
I lIke to think the design office competes to see who's designs become most popular every generation.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The reason it's hard to tell is because many pokemon per generation have potential to be playable if they try hard enough. I doubt it was easy making Ivysaur's moveset. And even then, not all the pokemon picked for smash became the face of the generation (Incineroar is a big example of that). I don't know if Pichu was the face of gen 2 in 2001 & I highly doubt Pokemon Trainer was the face of gen 3. But it certainly took them a while to add Charizard to playable status.

On a side topic, is there an animal that you wish became a pokemon in the future? I'm still holding out for a dolphin or any cetacean (that's not Kyogre as it's a legendary) and an Alebrije.

Last edited:

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
The reason it's hard to tell is because many pokemon per generation have potential to be playable if they try hard enough. I doubt it was easy making Ivysaur's moveset. And even then, not all the pokemon picked for smash became the face of the generation (Incineroar is a big example of that). I don't know if Pichu was the face of gen 2 in 2001 & I highly doubt Pokemon Trainer was the face of gen 3. But it certainly took them a while to add Charizard to playable status.

On a side topic, is there an animal that you wish became a pokemon in the future? I'm still holding out for a dolphin or any cetacean (that's not Kyogre as it's a legendary) and an Alebrije.
Okay you made your point, but I just simply wanted to say that Sakurai likely isn’t the only person calling the shots. I doubt that TPC and Nintendo would let Sakurai pick just any character, especially after spending tons of resources promoting a select few.

Since Sakurai insists that Nintendo is picking the DLC this time, I expect at the very least that we will get a Pokemon that TPC wants to promote.

As for an animal that I’d like to see as a Pokémon...maybe a cheetah or something.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Okay you made your point, but I just simply wanted to say that Sakurai likely isn’t the only person calling the shots. I doubt that TPC and Nintendo would let Sakurai pick just any character, especially after spending tons of resources promoting a select few.

Since Sakurai insists that Nintendo is picking the DLC this time, I expect at the very least that we will get a Pokemon that TPC wants to promote.

As for an animal that I’d like to see as a Pokémon...maybe a cheetah or something.
I definitely think there's some intervention in picking the pokemon, but certain picks took a while to start getting promoting: Greninja & Incineroar took a very long time to be seriously promoted on everything and even then Incineroar didn't get much. I would've thought that the promotion process should've started earlier than when they actually started. So i do have some doubt in them picking the pokemon that will for sure will click the hardest in the gen and think they're more of a gamble. I'd especially say Greninja was the biggest gamble of them all.

But you are true about some planning going on in the backstage.

So on another note, has anyone had issues with nintendo's online; namely Smash & Pokemon SwSh?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i was hoping for a fire breathing elephant this gen for some reason

id like to see some pokemon based on creatures of scottish folklore, like the selkie, the cat sith etc

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
i was hoping for a fire breathing elephant this gen for some reason

id like to see some pokemon based on creatures of scottish folklore, like the selkie, the cat sith etc
Is galar strictly based on England or does it take a lot from other countries in the UK that they can't be individual regions?
Cause if not, then a Scotland Region could happen for those mons (or they could still happen in the expansions).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Is galar strictly based on England or does it take a lot from other countries in the UK that they can't be individual regions?
Cause if not, then a Scotland Region could happen for those mons (or they could still happen in the expansions).
galar is primarily england and they confirmed the distant tundra is based on scotland so sadly we're not getting scotland as a full fledged pokemon region. but maybe we'll still get pokemon versions of edinburgh and glasgow

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
galar is primarily england and they confirmed the distant tundra is based on scotland so sadly we're not getting scotland as a full fledged pokemon region. but maybe we'll still get pokemon versions of edinburgh and glasgow
They've already made pokemon that don't really belong in the region introduced, right?

Speaking of regions, what country would you want to have as a region in the future? Whether it's gen 9 or later. I'm holding out for either Mexico or Southeast Asia.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They've already made pokemon that don't really belong in the region introduced, right?

Speaking of regions, what country would you want to have as a region in the future? Whether it's gen 9 or later. I'm holding out for either Mexico or Southeast Asia.
what do you mean?

i would have said scotland but it aint happening now

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
what do you mean?

i would have said scotland but it aint happening now
I think i misspoke there. I was mentioning pokemon who are heavily inspired from other countries.

The only examples of pokemon that really didn't fit the games they were in were the Swords of Justice, the pokemon inspired by the french tale of the musketeers, or rather Kalos. It seems so strage for them to be in Unova especially given how gen 5 & 6 were basically being developed around the same time (also with the fact that all regions have a small trio of legendaries with the exception of Kalos and Unova having 2 small trios feels very excesive).

And some that aren't necesarely out of place but definitely are odd being in the respective region are: Perrserker & Runerigus (who have heavy Scandinavian influence), Coperajah (Clearly Indian inspired), Eiscue (what's it even doing in the UK); and there's even some strange omisions from Galar like Stoutland & Pyroar.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think i misspoke there. I was mentioning pokemon who are heavily inspired from other countries.

The only examples of pokemon that really didn't fit the games they were in were the Swords of Justice, the pokemon inspired by the french tale of the musketeers, or rather Kalos. It seems so strage for them to be in Unova especially given how gen 5 & 6 were basically being developed around the same time (also with the fact that all regions have a small trio of legendaries with the exception of Kalos and Unova having 2 small trios feels very excesive).

And some that aren't necesarely out of place but definitely are odd being in the respective region are: Perrserker & Runerigus (who have heavy Scandinavian influence), Coperajah (Clearly Indian inspired), Eiscue (what's it even doing in the UK); and there's even some strange omisions from Galar like Stoutland & Pyroar.
ah, well yeah there may still be hope there. well its not that odd really as theres plenty of scandinavian and indian things here (for a number of reasons) and the pokedex does actually mention that eiscue isnt native to galar and that they were carried there by the ocean, though we do have plenty of penguins here, edinburgh zoo is famous for them

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
ah, well yeah there may still be hope there. well its not that odd really as theres plenty of scandinavian and indian things here (for a number of reasons) and the pokedex does actually mention that eiscue isnt native to galar and that they were carried there by the ocean, though we do have plenty of penguins here, edinburgh zoo is famous for them
That's true. I really didn't think on the relationships between countries. I've recently noticed that they've been doing these things in past gens where they feature pokemon not native in that region.

Speaking of the lack of news, will May be dry for any news at all regarding Pokemon or Nintendo in general?

The only noteworthy thing that came up was Summer Game Fest.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's true. I really didn't think on the relationships between countries. I've recently noticed that they've been doing these things in past gens where they feature pokemon not native in that region.

Speaking of the lack of news, will May be dry for any news at all regarding Pokemon or Nintendo in general?

The only noteworthy thing that came up was Summer Game Fest.
i think it could well be. then again if theyre not doing anything in place of e3 they must reveal stuff over social media at various points over the coming months

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Are there any wishes for potential new pokemon that are still unannounced for both dlc Expansions?

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
Are there any wishes for potential new pokemon that are still unannounced for both dlc Expansions?
I'm hoping for new Galarian forms for Gen 4 Pokemon that have yet to appear like ice type forms for Lopunny or Luxray.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
not gonna lie part of me is hoping for a bagpipes pokemon or a haggis pokemon. of course im also hoping for a few more regional variants, i love those

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
not gonna lie part of me is hoping for a bagpipes pokemon or a haggis pokemon. of course im also hoping for a few more regional variants, i love those
Have you seen the theories surrounding a potential Dustox Variant?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I havent, what are they?
It mostly has to do with one of the new character's designs: namely Klara's bowtie resembling Dustox wings but in white instead of green. The pink patterns are exactly the same shape & color.

Staarih

Smash Master
I want a new Eeveelution. And Galarian Spoink.
I've humored myself with the idea of two new Eeveelutions, one for each DLC pack, would go for good marketing.
Just give me my Dragon-type Eeveelution at some point!

Though honestly, I'm not sure if (m)any new Pokémon will even show up besides the titular legendaries. Galarian forms, sure. I could see the Dustox-theory come true, and we're still waiting on the reveal of Galarian Slowbro. I personally bet that its typing will be Psychic/Poison, so that both Klara and Avery with their specialized types could use it in their teams. We'll see though, hopefully a trailer will pop out again sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It mostly has to do with one of the new character's designs: namely Klara's bowtie resembling Dustox wings but in white instead of green. The pink patterns are exactly the same shape & color.
a bowtie themed dustox would be much loved, after all bowties are cool

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The latest sales report puts Pokemon Sword and Shield's lifetime sales to 17.37 million.

If it can sell another 30,000 copies, it'll become the best selling Pokemon game in two decades, beating out Diamond and Pearl.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The latest sales report puts Pokemon Sword and Shield's lifetime sales to 17.37 million.

If it can sell another 30,000 copies, it'll become the best selling Pokemon game in two decades, beating out Diamond and Pearl.
While i think that'd be insanely good, it does concern me a bit in regards as to how they aproach pokemon in the future. Not on the scale of becoming like EA or Konami, but i fear for the possibility of more corners being cut in the future.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While i think that'd be insanely good, it does concern me a bit in regards as to how they aproach pokemon in the future. Not on the scale of becoming like EA or Konami, but i fear for the possibility of more corners being cut in the future.
One thing people have to remember is that this is Game Freak's very first time making a new Gen for a console. People had insanely high expectations for a studio that has little experience with meeting console standards.

I think they'll improve in the future, especially now that they have a better base to work off of. They'll probably be able to accomplish more in a shorter amount of time (they had been working on SwSh since before SuMo released). However, I don't expect the National Dex to return though, so if that's what it takes to make fans happy, then the complaints will likely persist.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah lets try and be positive about the future of pokemon

not like there are many other futures to be positive about

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
One thing people have to remember is that this is Game Freak's very first time making a new Gen for a console. People had insanely high expectations for a studio that has little experience with meeting console standards.

I think they'll improve in the future, especially now that they have a better base to work off of. They'll probably be able to accomplish more in a shorter amount of time (they had been working on SwSh since before SuMo released). However, I don't expect the National Dex to return though, so if that's what it takes to make fans happy, then the complaints will likely persist.
I'm honestly more than fine with the national dex being gone, cause it means they can focus on other aspects. Cause i just keep most of my pokemon in the boxes and never to see the light of day. I admit that i also forgot the immense focus on the competitive scene.

Though i'd be lying if i didn't wish there was a bit more to the routes & dungeons. The Wild Area is fine for a first attempt at an open world pokemon, but i'm very curious to see what they can do with the Crown Tundra.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is it fine if I can be a supporter?
Always happy to have another supporter.

Haven't updated the list in a while though. I'll go ahead and add you to the list of supporters, but your number may change. I'll have to go back and see if there were any new supporters that joined in the last few months.

zacian

Smash Apprentice
thank you! So has anyone ever talked what kind of alts Zacian would have?

Top Bottom