• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know when you think about it, Zacian and Zamazenta would be woefully unequipped for a situation like this. If there's an enemy faction or malevolent godlike entity, sure, but how are legendary warriors supposed to fight off a plague?

At least they'd potentially be immune when their armor's on, but...
I thought it was established that dogs and other animals aren't susceptible or capable directly the virus? And besides, viruses in the Pokemon universe only make you stronger.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
You know when you think about it, Zacian and Zamazenta would be woefully unequipped for a situation like this. If there's an enemy faction or malevolent godlike entity, sure, but how are legendary warriors supposed to fight off a plague?

At least they'd potentially be immune when their armor's on, but...
Oh you silly goose, steel types are immune to poison.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Our very first DLC character...

will be a character from ARMS, a series that was already repped in Smash!

This is wonderful news. We may not know who the character is (AT/Spirit upgrades may or may not be deconfirmed. We still don't know), but at least we can argue against people who say SwSh won't get in Smash because it already has content.

Anyway, how do you feel about this news? Personally, I'm really excited. ARMS isn't perfect, but it's a game that I enjoyed and wanted to see represented on the roster nonetheless.

Staarih

Smash Master

This is wonderful news. We may not know who the character is (AT/Spirit upgrades may or may not be deconfirmed. We still don't know), but at least we can argue against people who say SwSh won't get in Smash because it already has content.

Anyway, how do you feel about this news? Personally, I'm really excited. ARMS isn't perfect, but it's a game that I enjoyed and wanted to see represented on the roster nonetheless.
I’m beyond excited. ARMS is one of my most played Switch games and I absolutely love it. A pet peeve of mine is when people think the game ”flopped” just because it didn’t do Splatoon levels of sales off the bat. I was always rooting for an ARMS rep if only to prove them wrong but after Spring Man ended an AT I wasn’t too sure anymore. But this is great news and opens up yet another door for more possibilities, a Galar Pokémon is defintely on the table.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

If they decide to not pick Spring Man (whos an assist trophy) Only Helix and Ribbon Girl come to mind. at least for me. Lets wait and see, but if it's spring man, then the waluigi supporters are gonna flipping freak out about this.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If they decide to not pick Spring Man (whos an assist trophy) Only Helix and Ribbon Girl come to mind. at least for me. Lets wait and see, but if it's spring man, then the waluigi supporters are gonna flipping freak out about this.
min min is most popular she seem like a reasonable pick

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think this was the best way to tamper expectations given how nieche arms is as a series for many people. It's also refreshing to know a series but not the character to be featured. I'm wishing later on for them to say "next fighter will be: a pokemon introduced in Sword & Shield" and they give us a small selection to guess from.
I'm holding out for Kid Cobra to get in, but unless we get 8 characters as different skins i don't think it'll happen. I see either Min Min, Twintelle or Ninjara making it in.

And how do we feel about the mini direct? Of course, people on twitter are being jerks saying "no new games", "it's the worst" and even "f%$& you nintendo".
I did like it, saw a few ports i'm excited to get. And it's nice to see more footage of the Island of Armor. It's odd that we can choose the evolution for Kubfu but it's nice.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I want a gen 8 rep. Toxtricity is my first choice, but I'd love Zacian and/or Zamazenta! Tbh, I want just about any gen 8 rep as the few I dislike (Stonjourner, Eiscue, Blipbug, the fossils) probably won't make it in anyway. I'd love either legendary wolf so much!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I fully expect the character to be
ico_springman_small-36x36.png
(and if we're lucky, Ribbon Girl and possibly a few others as an alt). Now I'm not saying it can't be Min Min or Twintelle. If we exclude SM and RG, I'd say they're who I'd expect the most. I just don't want people to overestimate those two because of their popularity when we have several examples of less popular characters being chosen.

I don't know why they didn't just reveal who the character was, but at least it gives us something to talk about.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I fully expect the character to be Spring Man (and if we're lucky, Ribbon Girl and possibly a few others as an alt). Now I'm not saying it can't be Min Min or Twintelle. If we exclude SM and RG, I'd say they're who I'd expect the most. I just don't want people to overestimate those two because of their popularity when we have several examples of less popular characters being chosen.

I don't know why they didn't just reveal who the character was, but at least it gives us something to talk about.
The fact that they didn't say who it was tells me it won't be Spring Man or even Ribbon Girl. Why would you hide the character if it were one of the main characters.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm wondering how you hate eiscue
I'd like to think dislike doesn't always equal hate.

And i just realized: the arms inclusion basically confirms spirits don't deconfirm a potential character.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Depends, as only 5 arms characters are spirits. Could easily pick one that isn't a spirit. Just saying.
It'd be odd if the character wasn't one of the 5, given they're the more popular characters. And they do offer a lot.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
For those waiting for Sobble or Grookey to show up, here's a chance:

It's still an untitled episode but it's after the one where Lugia shows up again.
For some reason i still feel that Ash will get a Riolu.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

It's still an untitled episode but it's after the one where Lugia shows up again.
Judging by the egg color, probably riolu, sobble maybe if they want to throw a curveball

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Why am I mentally preparing myself for Munchlax?

I would assume the Pokemon is either Riolu or Sobble due to the egg color. Either is fine with me, though I'm leaning toward Riolu because this anime has been been feeding Ash really popular Pokemon, and Lucario is a Pokemon fans had been wanting him to catch for years.

Staarih

Smash Master
Why am I mentally preparing myself for Munchlax?
Wouldn't Munchlax be a bit redundant because of Ash's Snorlax? Though I guess you never know with these things, would be hilarious though.

Apparently there's merchandise for April which has Riolu in it (and no Galar starters which would probably be up and center if they were to appear), so I'm leaning towards Riolu as well. Looks like they're really giving Ash the fan-faves this time around.
I'd be very much ready to have Grookey and Sobble appear though.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The past few days have been pretty eventful to say the least. I'm pretty sure most people were anticipating a third-party to start off the second pass, not an ARMS character of all things.

Anyway, how do you feel about Gen 8? Feel more confident that it'll get a character, or is ARMS a special case? Does the possibility of an AT or Spirit being added make you feel more confident in Zacian and/or Zamazenta?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Anyway, how do you feel about Gen 8? Feel more confident that it'll get a character, or is ARMS a special case? Does the possibility of an AT or Spirit being added make you feel more confident in Zacian and/or Zamazenta?
Regardless of who gets in, I’m more than confident that Spirits at least don’t deconfirm an en entire series (which goes me hope for Resident Evil).

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The past few days have been pretty eventful to say the least. I'm pretty sure most people were anticipating a third-party to start off the second pass, not an ARMS character of all things.

I’m still fairly certain spirit events probably deconfirm them even moreso with third parties but the Pokemon one is weird in that it’s only added mons who were first revealed up to the June direct.

The newest Pokemon who was officially revealed after the June Pokemon direct was Sirfetch’d and he was nowhere to be seen in the event suggesting it was made before they had a chance to look at other more prominent mons, which may further suggest it was in the pipeline for a long time which is why I think gen 8 is still on the table.

The spirit event does hurt the chances but I don’t think it’s a killer unless they finalised fighter pass 2 around the time of the spirit event which I doubt.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I’m not saying it’s guaranteed, cuz nothing is guaranteed, but a Pokémon from sword/shield just got a whole lot more likely. In my eyes at least.

Nintendo is picking the characters, right? Based on Byleth we know Nintendo wants characters from Nintendo games people are playing. What’s a Nintendo game people are playing, and will be playing a whole lot more of come June and November? Pokémon.

But what about the spirit event? I never bought the argument in the first place because (aside from the legendaries) all the potential Galar fighters weren’t spirits. Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon, Toxtricity, Sirfetch’d, none of them are present. And it isn’t a matter of making a spirit board either. There are over 80 new Pokémon. It’ll probably be the easiest spirit board to make. And now, thanks to ARMS, we know that having content already in the game doesn’t matter. I never really thought it did, but now we know for sure. Some people will still try to use the spirit event to shut it down, but I guarantee a week ago those same people would have shut down an ARMS character. We’re just fans, we don’t know anything.

We know adding a character from an already represented series isn’t an issue either. We got our 78th Fire Emblem a few months ago, nothing stopping them from giving us our 78th Pokémon.

Like is said, not guaranteed. But the only real reason for it not to be kinda doesn’t matter anymore. So I’m really thinking it’ll happen, and I’m really excited to see who they pick.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I’m still fairly certain spirit events probably deconfirm them even moreso with third parties but the Pokemon one is weird in that it’s only added mons who were first revealed up to the June direct.

The newest Pokemon who was officially revealed after the June Pokemon direct was Sirfetch’d and he was nowhere to be seen in the event suggesting it was made before they had a chance to look at other more prominent mons, which may further suggest it was in the pipeline for a long time which is why I think gen 8 is still on the table.

The spirit event does hurt the chances but I don’t think it’s a killer unless they finalised fighter pass 2 around the time of the spirit event which I doubt.
Actually, I think Morpeko was revealed in early August alongside Obstagoon and Galarian Wheezing.

Still, all of the Pokemon that got in as Spirits were the ones who were featured the most leading up to SwSh's release (starters, legendaries, regional bird, and the regional member of the Pikachu family). Sword and Shield is one of two games in 2019 that got Spirits close to launch, which makes me think they had it planned for a while. They may have not put much thought into the second pass or which Pokemon they had planned for DLC, instead focusing more on the promotional aspect and making Spirits of Pokemon who would accomplish that the best. Aside from maybe Wooloo, I don't think there were any other Pokemon who would've been better Spirits than any of the four (technically seven) they went with.

Also, depending on who the ARMS character is, they may have stopped caring about avoiding duplicate Spirits or making Spirit boards based off of upcoming DLC. There's a pretty good chance at least one of the five ARMS characters who already have a Spirit will be a fighter or an alt, which would require a Fighter Spirit.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Actually, I think Morpeko was revealed in early August alongside Obstagoon and Galarian Wheezing.

Still, all of the Pokemon that got in as Spirits were the ones who were featured the most leading up to SwSh's release (starters, legendaries, regional bird, and the regional member of the Pikachu family). Sword and Shield is one of two games in 2019 that got Spirits close to launch, which makes me think they had it planned for a while. They may have not put much thought into the second pass or which Pokemon they had planned for DLC, instead focusing more on the promotional aspect and making Spirits of Pokemon who would accomplish that the best. Aside from maybe Wooloo, I don't think there were any other Pokemon who would've been better Spirits than any of the four (technically seven) they went with.

Also, depending on who the ARMS character is, they may have stopped caring about avoiding duplicate Spirits or making Spirit boards based off of upcoming DLC. There's a pretty good chance at least one of the five ARMS characters who already have a Spirit will be a fighter or an alt, which would require a Fighter Spirit.
I definitely agree with all of this but would just like to fact check something. Did Morpeko really get pushed? I don’t actually remember the thing being discussed too much after it’s reveal and if it were being heavily pushed I would have thought people would have discussed it a bit more. I am actually curious.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I definitely agree with all of this but would just like to fact check something. Did Morpeko really get pushed? I don’t actually remember the thing being discussed too much after it’s reveal and if it were being heavily pushed I would have thought people would have discussed it a bit more. I am actually curious.
People liked it, I know that much. But if I recall correctly it wasn’t pushed super hard.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

what do you mean by of all things?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Maybe the current virus situation did delay a character, but that character was a 3rd party character who was to be showcased to it's respective publishers.
Given that 1st party characters don't really need much of negotiations vs 3rd parties, maybe the Arms character was moved ahead as the 1st dlc character of volume 2.

Cause it's definitely strange to have the first dlc character be from a series that fell out of popularity over the years and didn't stick much compared to Splatoon.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Maybe the current virus situation did delay a character, but that character was a 3rd party character who was to be showcased to it's respective publishers.
Given that 1st party characters don't really need much of negotiations vs 3rd parties, maybe the Arms character was moved ahead as the 1st dlc character of volume 2.

Cause it's definitely strange to have the first dlc character be from a series that fell out of popularity over the years and didn't stick much compared to Splatoon.
I personally doubt it, fighters usually take around 6 months to develop and under the assumption that it would be 6 months from June that’d be around January when COVID-19 wasn’t the concern it is now.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe not to the same extent as the other Spirits, Wooloo, and Yamper, but I remember them occasionally bringing it up whenever Marnie was discussed, just like Leon and Charizard. It wasn't brought up very often in conversations between fans, but that's not something Game Freak or Sakurai can predict.

They could've added Wooloo or Yamper instead, but I guess their target was the typical four Spirits we get with the Spirit events. The starters and legendaries were likely highest priority, so they only had two more spots reserved. They must've settled with Corviknight and Morpeko.

what do you mean by of all things?
A lot of people had completely ruled out ARMS due to the AT and Spirits, and quite a few people were expecting nothing but third-parties due to the heavy focus on them in the first pass and Sakurai's comments on expanding the world of Smash.

As someone else already said, the first fighter likely had a significant portion of work done before the coronavirus became an issue.

If the first character was third-party, they would've presented it to its publishers long before February.

Last edited:
Top Bottom