• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We have the best-selling games of 2019 in the U.S.

Luigi's Mansion 3 was #5
Pokemon Sword was #6
Pokemon Shield was #9

The first version usually sells better than the second, but this does seem to be further proof that Zacian is the more popular Legendary. Also, if we combine the two versions together, it might be somewhere in the top 3.

poor man, the internet can be a really unpleasant place

what knife?
According to its description, Inteleon has a knife hidden in its tail. I've yet to have seen it depicted in any media though, and I don't really know where it's hidden. It could be an actual design choice or something they randomly threw in to make it sound more interesting.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I just thought of something. If they doon't go with the starters as the rep for Sword & Shield i'd easily welcome mii costumes of the 3 starters (especially Cinderance since it looks like a mascot costume rather than an actual creature). I'd easily get the Inteleon one in a heart beat.

I'd say all 3 could be Brawlers.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
According to its description, Inteleon has a knife hidden in its tail. I've yet to have seen it depicted in any media though, and I don't really know where it's hidden. It could be an actual design choice or something they randomly threw in to make it sound more interesting.
probably used to expalin certain moves

I just thought of something. If they doon't go with the starters as the rep for Sword & Shield i'd easily welcome mii costumes of the 3 starters (especially Cinderance since it looks like a mascot costume rather than an actual creature). I'd easily get the Inteleon one in a heart beat.

surely rillaboom would be a sword fighter and inteleon would be a gunner

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

You reminded me of the cereal mascot complaint.

EKqjUINU0AI46Ux.png

But I agree with fogbadge fogbadge

Rillaboom could be a swordfighter with a drumstick as a sword. Inteleon could be a gunner who uses his hand like Cuphead.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You reminded me of the cereal mascot complaint.
Scorbunny was already compared to the Trix Rabbit before.

On the subject of Pokemon Mii costumes, I think Urshifu should be a brawler costume.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think Rillaboom could work *especially* since he's so stationary. It'd bring a new flair to the classic heavyweight: Aside from Dedede and Bowser Jr, we don't have much stationary heavyweights and a "control room" character that attacks by spreading its roots through the stage would certainly be something new. Maybe Rillaboom can get increased mobility where he placed his roots so that he has fast mobility but only with set-ups.

I'd still prefer Zacian since I'm kinda tired of the starters as Smash picks but I think he could work.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Rillaboom could work *especially* since he's so stationary. It'd bring a new flair to the classic heavyweight: Aside from Dedede and Bowser Jr, we don't have much stationary heavyweights and a "control room" character that attacks by spreading its roots through the stage would certainly be something new. Maybe Rillaboom can get increased mobility where he placed his roots so that he has fast mobility but only with set-ups.

I'd still prefer Zacian since I'm kinda tired of the starters as Smash picks but I think he could work.
I think any of the three starters could work, even Rillaboom. He'd be the toughest of the three, no doubt, but at least he has something aside from normal Pokemon moves that he can attack with. The drum should be versatile.

That being said, and I know I've said it before, I've taken notice how lately Sakurai tends to pick Pokemon who are already designed to be some type of fighter. Kung Fu fighter, ninja, professional wrestler - Pokemon who have an archetype that are really easy to work with in a fighting game. I don't know how much of a Pokemon fan Sakurai is, but I feel like Rillaboom is a Pokemon who requires more knowledge to create. We don't have any characters who use a drum to attack, and the concept for drummers in fighting games overall isn't something you'd see often.

That's not to say Rillaboom is the only one with this problem, but I feel like it's this Gen's equivalent to Primarina.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
*especially* since he's so stationary.
Except you have to be on the move a lot in Smash, regardless of whether you're playing casually or competitively. You gotta avoid hazards and items (or chase down items to pick them up) casually, and competitive play is dominated by mobile fighters.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
the 2nd most popular in japan?
The starter who would have a harder time jumping and running around in Smash compared to the other two. Seems like most Pokemon Gens have at least one starter whose design would likely make them struggle in a fast-paced fighting game (Swampert, Torterra, Primarina, etc.). If it weren't for Rillaboom being a grass type, I doubt many people would convince themselves it was more likely than Cinderace or Inteleon - two very anthro Pokemon who aren't restricted by a large drum like Rillaboom.

Not that Sakurai would know (or maybe he would. Don't know when the Pokemon character would've been finalized), but I'm pretty sure Rillaboom is the least popular final starter evo in most parts of the world. Seems like Japan is infatuated with Cinderace and to a lesser extent Inteleon, and I'm absolutely positive Rillaboom isn't the most popular one here in the US.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Rillaboom could put the drum on its back if it's not using it, could pull it out of hammerspace or could move independently of a stationarily placed drum. Aside from the drum, he seems humanoid enough to get around with legs and knuckles

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The starter who would have a harder time jumping and running around in Smash compared to the other two. Seems like most Pokemon Gens have at least one starter whose design would likely make them struggle in a fast-paced fighting game (Swampert, Torterra, Primarina, etc.). If it weren't for Rillaboom being a grass type, I doubt many people would convince themselves it was more likely than Cinderace or Inteleon - two very anthro Pokemon who aren't restricted by a large drum like Rillaboom.

Not that Sakurai would know (or maybe he would. Don't know when the Pokemon character would've been finalized), but I'm pretty sure Rillaboom is the least popular final starter evo in most parts of the world. Seems like Japan is infatuated with Cinderace and to a lesser extent Inteleon, and I'm absolutely positive Rillaboom isn't the most popular one here in the US.
ah right, ive always thought he could have made some of the more unusual pokemon like mimikyu, primarina and toterra work in smash if he was willing to try and ivysaur proves it. though if anything recently it seems hes not willing to do it.

i could not tell you whos the most popular over here, uk gamers tend to focus on negative things even in games that dont have a bit of controversy. i could only tell the order id prefer them in

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
From what i've seen on the negative side: Inteleon seems to be the most hated in places, followed by Cinderace and then Rillaboom is ''meh''.
On the positive side of things i've seen Cinderace having the most fans, followed by Inteleon and then Rillaboom is ''oh cool''.

It seems Rillaboom is more in the middle in terms of general opinion with both Cinderace & Inteleon being on either the ''Love it'' or ''Hate it'' side.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From what i've seen on the negative side: Inteleon seems to be the most hated in places, followed by Cinderace and then Rillaboom is ''meh''.
On the positive side of things i've seen Cinderace having the most fans, followed by Inteleon and then Rillaboom is ''oh cool''.

It seems Rillaboom is more in the middle in terms of general opinion with both Cinderace & Inteleon being on either the ''Love it'' or ''Hate it'' side.
kind of appropriate for cinderace considering what its based on

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, it doesn't help us any to bash the starters, even if they're all that most speculators will bother to look at. I do think any of them could work, but there're more interesting options than just them, you know?

Though it is kind of amusing that Mii costumes for all three could potentially work. Cinderace for Brawler, Rillaboom holding a drumstick for Swordfighter, Inteleon with a finger gun for Gunner.

Hard to say for sure exactly who within Gen 8 is an option beyond the starters and legendaries. Urshifu is getting some attention for being brand new and is currently the go to guess from people expecting a blatant advertisement, but yet another martial artist character would need a lot to feel distinct if Sakurai's talk of using new mechanics and themes to make DLC characters feel interesting holds true, and we don't even know if a moveset that shifts between two forms that can't normally do so is even a viable option. There also doesn't seem to be a Lucario counterpart this generation...though it took almost a year for Lycanroc to grow into it last generation, so the jury's probably out on that for now.

I wanted to see how Zacian would look next to other Smash characters, so I scrapped this together.

View attachment 258710

Does this seem like a good size?
Maybe slightly smaller? Overall size needs to be accounted for, not just height, and Zacian at that size would give Ridley a run for his title of "biggest hurtbox in the game". I don't think we quite want something that extreme--close a 9/10 size-wise instead of 10/10, probably.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but yet another martial artist character would need a lot to feel distinct if Sakurai's talk of using new mechanics and themes to make DLC characters feel interesting holds true
When Incineroar feels like a model swap of any wrestler character, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Urshifu as a generic martial artist.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Should we get into the details of stage cameos, spirits & classic mode route?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why does zamazenta always look so weird in every thing outside of swsh
Compared to its plush, I think it's a pretty decent likeness.

Should we get into the details of stage cameos, spirits & classic mode route?
Don't see why not. What would you say we'd get?

:o Oh my, this is beautiful. :c Japan always gets the best stuff.
Sadly, yes. Most of the good stuff goes straight to Japan.

Could be worse I guess. At least the plushies are being sold outside Japan.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think i have a rough idea for how the stage layout for Galar region would be like:

-Axew's Eye would be very similar to the island portion of Delfino Plaza with the water on the sides.

-Slumbering Weald would take place in the Gravesite, would be a walkoff with a small hill on the right and a river in between the left side of the stage & the center.
-Route 5: It'll have small platforms on the sides so it isn't too similar to Bridge of Eldin or the Bridge from the Three Houses stage.

-Hammerlocke Tower: For this one i'd wall off the sides as if it were closed. Other than that it's flat.

-Wyndon Square: I'm having a hard time with this one, but it'd at least have the statue area be a hill on the battlefield.

1- *Battle! Gym Leader.
2- *Battle! Wild Encounter.
3- Battle! Rival Hop.
4- Battle! Rival Bede.
5- Battle! Rival Marnie.
6- Battle! Gigantamax Pokemon.
7- *Battle! Chairman Rose.
8- *Battle! Champion Leon.
9- Battle Tower.
10- *Battle! Zacian/Zamazenta Medley.

* is for Remix.

Here's the cameos for the Galar Stage
Going with the idea that the stage switches from the 5 areas I mentioned, here's how i'd see it:
-Axew's Eye: Gyarados & Cramorant swimming in the lake, Morpeko on the trees, Dreepy just floating around. Maybe Duraludon walking by as well.
-Slumbering Weald Gravesite: Galarian Weezing, Orbeetle & Corviknight traversing by. Sonia could also be there.
-Route 5 Bridge: Eldegoss, Nickit & Yamper pasing by + Bede, Marnie, Milo, Nessa & Kabu could be there.
-Hammerlocke tower: Eternatus would be the only cameo here.
-Wyndon Square: Hop, Chairman Rose, Raihan & Champion Leon would be here. And many galar peope walking by the square.

Spirits other than the ones included: Yamper (Pikachu Default), Drednaw (Squirtle Default), Toxtricity (Purple Lucario), Obstagoon (Black Incineroar), Hatterene (Pink Zelda), Dragapult (Green Charizard) & Eternatus (Giant Ridley). Don't have an idea for what the fights would consist of. Also more spirits ideas would be great.

Still thinking about the classic mode route.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd honestly like to see some human character spirits for Pokémon. Sw/Sh could have the likes of Leon and Chairman Rose, maybe some of the rivals too. I'd also think adding a few Gigantamax spirits would be cool, have them be battles of giant sized fighters (Gigantamax Charizard, Pikachu what have you).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We have some more news on SwSh sales, this time from Japan. Apparently, the games have been #1 for 9 consecutive weeks, beating out DP which held that spot for 8 weeks. The next closest Switch game is Smash Ultimate, which held that spot for five weeks.

So yeah, good sales are always nice, even if they don't come out in time to effect our chances of getting a SwSh character.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm really curious as to when they closed off the dlc. We know it had to have been before November 2019. Also if they did pick a pokemon character, does it say a specific pokemon or does it just say ''Pokemon from Sword & Shield''.
If it's the latter, then i think Urshifu could be considered.

Regardless, what are the 6 characters you expect or want to have as the dlc? I'm having a suprisingly hard time thinking of even 3.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm really curious as to when they closed off the dlc. We know it had to have been before November 2019. Also if they did pick a pokemon character, does it say a specific pokemon or does it just say ''Pokemon from Sword & Shield''.
If it's the latter, then i think Urshifu could be considered.

Regardless, what are the 6 characters you expect or want to have as the dlc? I'm having a suprisingly hard time thinking of even 3.
Well, we're looking at a nearly one year timeframe for when they finalized the list of characters, starting at pass 1's launch all the way to November 2019. Though if I had to take a guess, Nintendo asked Sakurai to add a character from Three Houses, not Byleth specifically. His comments about playing the game early seemed to insinuate that. I'd assume they'd have a placeholder for a SwSh rep too. Whether or not its Urshifu is up for debate.

As for which characters I expect, I don't know. The Smash fanbase has a horrible track record when it comes to predicting characters, if the lack of Crash, Geno, Master Chief, Phoenix Wright, KOS-MOS, and Lloyd Irving in the first pass are anything to go by. The only thing I'm fairly confident we're getting is a SwSh rep, and that's only because it's one of two or three first-party games coming out in 2019-2020 that have a realistic chance of getting a newcomer. I don't think there are any third-parties in particular that stand out to me, and if I did make a prediction, I might as well admit what others won't and say that my predictions would be heavily influenced by my personal wants.

I really want a BotW2 character though. Maybe a Champion or Prince Sidon one of the new unrevealed characters.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Well, we're looking at a nearly one year timeframe for when they finalized the list of characters, starting at pass 1's launch all the way to November 2019. Though if I had to take a guess, Nintendo asked Sakurai to add a character from Three Houses, not Byleth specifically. His comments about playing the game early seemed to insinuate that. I'd assume they'd have a placeholder for a SwSh rep too. Whether or not its Urshifu is up for debate.

As for which characters I expect, I don't know. The Smash fanbase has a horrible track record when it comes to predicting characters, if the lack of Crash, Geno, Master Chief, Phoenix Wright, KOS-MOS, and Lloyd Irving in the first pass are anything to go by. The only thing I'm fairly confident we're getting is a SwSh rep, and that's only because it's one of two or three first-party games coming out in 2019-2020 that have a realistic chance of getting a newcomer. I don't think there are any third-parties in particular that stand out to me, and if I did make a prediction, I might as well admit what others won't and say that my predictions would be heavily influenced by my personal wants.

I really want a BotW2 character though. Maybe a Champion or Prince Sidon one of the new unrevealed characters.
I've seen a suprising amount of people wanting Zelda from Breath of the Wild 2 rather than a champion. Granted we don't know their role, but it's suprising that people would want another version of Zelda.
Another reason a pokemon from SwSh is most likely coming it's that it's very successful in sales & reception "for the most part".
I'm wondering if Rex from Xenoblade 2 still has a chance.

As to 3rd parties, it's all up in the air at this point. Maybe Geno given how requested it has been, or Sora given it's push in 2019. It's very hard to tell.

Sadly we most likely won't know the 1st character til April or maybe even e3 2020.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've seen a suprising amount of people wanting Zelda from Breath of the Wild 2 rather than a champion. Granted we don't know their role, but it's suprising that people would want another version of Zelda.
well sakurai already ruled out that version of zelda, cause he saw the ending of botw and thought she wasnt suited to fighting, which i dont get

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
well sakurai already ruled out that version of zelda, cause he saw the ending of botw and thought she wasnt suited to fighting, which i dont get
People are assuming that Zelda would become playable in the sequel and that she'll be more active.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It may not be playable Rex, but I do think they listened to complaints when FP2's bonus costume isn't a character.

thecursedside

Smash Rookie
Well, I've just stumbled in here, but I must say, I like the idea of Zacian and Zamazenta being playable. I hadn't really considered them, as the starters seem to get first choice, but thinking about it now, I'd have to say I prefer this duo. A Slumbering Weald remix to go with them would make it all the better.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Rex is in a bit of a gray area. He's not technically dead, but the costume, Spirits, and music tracks don't do him any favors.

Could be worse though. At least he's not explicitly deconfirmed like Doomguy was earlier today.

Well, I've just stumbled in here, but I must say, I like the idea of Zacian and Zamazenta being playable. I hadn't really considered them, as the starters seem to get first choice, but thinking about it now, I'd have to say I prefer this duo. A Slumbering Weald remix to go with them would make it all the better.
Welcome. Glad to have you.

A lot of people tend to limit themselves to the starters, but there's actually a lot of unique options to choose from. Zacian and/or Zamazenta would really take people by surprise.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've noticed that this gen has sparked the most threads on smashboards compared to other generations. In the past i'd see 3 or 4 at most, but now we have:

-Rillaboom.
-Cinderace.
-Inteleon.
-Toxtricity.
-Obstagoon.
-Sirfetch'd.
-Dragapult.
-Zacian & Zamazenta.
-Urshifu.

Granted, not all consistently active, but it's the first time i've seen all 3 starters being talked about at near equal level.
Really curious to see what pokemon gets in and the reason for that pick.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like Rex benefits from a "new style of gameplay" which Sakurai wanted to offer with FP1 and probably will with FP2 as well. The Driver + Blade connection could make for some unique stuff. Sakurai/Nintendo must be aware of people wanting him at this point as well. But as said, his Mii costume, the Spirits, the music might hold back a bit. Then again, the same could sort of be said of any Pokémon newcomer (nothing exactly from Sw/Sh apart from a few Spirits, but anyway), so I'm keeping my mind open for anything to come.

I've noticed that this gen has sparked the most threads on smashboards compared to other generations. In the past i'd see 3 or 4 at most, but now we have:

-Rillaboom.
-Cinderace.
-Inteleon.
-Toxtricity.
-Obstagoon.
-Sirfetch'd.
-Dragapult.
-Zacian & Zamazenta.
-Urshifu.

Granted, not all consistently active, but it's the first time i've seen all 3 starters being talked about at near equal level.
Really curious to see what pokemon gets in and the reason for that pick.
While I've set my heart on Zacian/Zamazenta, I'd welcome any of these with open arms. Except for the starters, surely, as I'd like a little variety in the Pokémon choices. I had a bit of a hiatus with Shield, and now back to playing it, and I just adore the Gen 8 designs so much.

Top Bottom