• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Given that there's a few days left before release, what are your overall thoughts on Sword & Shield with everything we know outside of leaks? The good, the bad; the pokedex & graphics/animations controversies & the communication between Gamefreak & the fans.

These are easily the most controversial games to date and there all kinds of people: people who are outraged, people who aren't bothered, others who go out of their way to defend GF (sometimes blindly), others going to harrass the developers and people speaking positively about SwSh; and others who feel the need to boycott the games as a whole.

Can't say I fully agree with either GF or the community: they both have things that are right and others that are wrong/iffy. While i don't agree with some choices GF has made with these games (Masuda's statement in July was not needed as it made people even more angry and he didn't say anything), i also can't agree to bindly acussing them as lazy, greedy, etc. when there's no info. backing it up (though I have heard & seen that they struggle to program assets, models & other things efficiently).
I know the series can be better (holding the series to a low standard doesn't help either), but i've personally have not had any significant issues with the series. And i'm very much looking foward to playing Sword.
Pokemon as a franchise is huge enough that everyone enjoys in myriad ways. You can even be a fan without touching the games at all.

The dexit statements hurt now but will be helpful down the line. I'm only iffy on GF being cagey about Home, even though I don't use such services.

I got sick of previous games for taking too much effort to get to the genuinely new stuff (SOS Corsola for Mareanie, never again). These games have a much healthier selection of new pokes and varied scenarios to build teams for, accompanied by several means of streamlining the process. All things that enhance the main reasons I play Pokemon games, scratching an itch many other RPGS don't, who have their own appeal.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Given that there's a few days left before release, what are your overall thoughts on Sword & Shield with everything we know outside of leaks? The good, the bad; the pokedex & graphics/animations controversies & the communication between Gamefreak & the fans.

These are easily the most controversial games to date and there all kinds of people: people who are outraged, people who aren't bothered, others who go out of their way to defend GF (sometimes blindly), others going to harrass the developers and people speaking positively about SwSh; and others who feel the need to boycott the games as a whole.

Can't say I fully agree with either GF or the community: they both have things that are right and others that are wrong/iffy. While i don't agree with some choices GF has made with these games (Masuda's statement in July was not needed as it made people even more angry and he didn't say anything), i also can't agree to bindly acussing them as lazy, greedy, etc. when there's no info. backing it up (though I have heard & seen that they struggle to program assets, models & other things efficiently).
I know the series can be better (holding the series to a low standard doesn't help either), but i've personally have not had any significant issues with the series. And i'm very much looking foward to playing Sword.
Some things bothered me, some things didn't. Some things got me excited when others didn't even bat an eye.

Overall, I'm just tired of the constant back-and-forth arguing as people try to prove why SwSh is good or bad. I'll play the games because I enjoy Pokemon and decide whether I like it or not. What a majority of people on the internet say about a video game doesn't represent my own opinions, and I won't let anyone get in the way of me trying to have fun with Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Some things bothered me, some things didn't. Some things got me excited when others didn't even bat an eye.

Overall, I'm just tired of the constant back-and-forth arguing as people try to prove why SwSh is good or bad. I'll play the games because I enjoy Pokemon and decide whether I like it or not. What a majority of people on the internet say about a video game doesn't represent my own opinions, and I won't let anyone get in the way of me trying to have fun with Sword and Shield.
If only more people felt like that. Never understood why people get so fed up about a video game to the point where they need to attack & harrass other people.
[Doesn't matter how much pokemon means to you, it doesn't give you the right to be a jerk to other people. If anything, you're discouraging them from trying a series they might fall in love with]. The same can be said about any series in gaming or other media.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If only more people felt like that. Never understood why people get so fed up about a video game to the point where they need to attack & harrass other people.
[Doesn't matter how much pokemon means to you, it doesn't give you the right to be a jerk to other people. If anything, you're discouraging them from trying a series they might fall in love with]. The same can be said about any series in gaming or other media.
In some sad, twisted way, discouraging new fans is probably what they're hoping for. So that in some far-flung future, they will have no choice but to develop games for core, established fans. They hate anything that accomodates newer players, partly because they feel it cheapens all the hard work they put in with more archaic methods, and partly because it forces them to change how to do self-imposed challenges.

Why else would they be mad about perma Exp Share and the ability to access your box Pokemon in the wild? You can pretty much simulate Exp Share being off by only using one Pokemon in your party at a time. Also Dragon Quest XI doesn't let you turn off leaked XP for the party even in it's official difficulty increasing options, so I guess that game people have taken to comparing favourably to Pokemon is actually terrible by this logic.
Not to mention loudly proclaiming they're cancelling preorders and not buying at every opportunity. That actually just makes you sound less credible, because someone who was actually uninterested in the games would have stopped talking about them long ago.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And now, in a not-so-nice turn of events, #GameFreakLied is trending on Twitter. Even though Game Freak hasn't been completely honest, the way certain fans are reacting to this is far far worse.

For starters, this feels like a direct response to #ThankYouGameFreak which was just a few days ago, which serves as further proof that many people are actually bothered by people and posts that point out nice things about Game Freak/SwSh, so they have to counter with negativity and "proof" that the game isn't good.

Second, people have been pointing this out since June. It's nothing new. The only difference is that people are using it as an opportunity to share many other unrelated complaints that have nothing to do with Game Freak and honesty, such as EXP share, lag, and subpar graphics.

People have a right to be upset, but this has gone from simple protesting to having a problem with people who want to give SwSh a chance this Friday.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think the whole thing has been blown out of so much proportion, i get why people are upset about the cut dex but at this point people are complaining about every little thing, things that are always in the game and have never bothered them before, some people are willing to forgive others calling for blood. and then #thankyougamefreak came along people showed their support talked about how pokemon helped them through some hard times and then you see people calling those who were thanking them mindless drones and bootlickers which just came across which suggests they never even bother to read some of the comments as people were quite genuine and the people using #thankyougamefreak to complain just came across as petty, how losing certain pokemon was far greater than the 20+ years of joy they had been given, i even saw someone use the remembrance day hashtags to complain about cut moves which is just objectively in bad taste

in short im done, there is far to much salt and i cant stand this any longer petty gripes and blind anger over one thing (a big thing i grant you) but people are taking it as a personal slight, so im done i just want to enjoy the game for what they are and not spend eternity complaining about what theyre not

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And now, in a not-so-nice turn of events, #GameFreakLied is trending on Twitter. Even though Game Freak hasn't been completely honest, the way certain fans are reacting to this is far far worse.

For starters, this feels like a direct response to #ThankYouGameFreak which was just a few days ago, which serves as further proof that many people are actually bothered by people and posts that point out nice things about Game Freak/SwSh, so they have to counter with negativity and "proof" that the game isn't good.

Second, people have been pointing this out since June. It's nothing new. The only difference is that people are using it as an opportunity to share many other unrelated complaints that have nothing to do with Game Freak and honesty, such as EXP share, lag, and subpar graphics.

People have a right to be upset, but this has gone from simple protesting to having a problem with people who want to give SwSh a chance this Friday.
Apparently Serebii also came under fire for adopting a neutral stance instead of pushing a negative agenda. These people really want unpatched versions of a game streamed on low-quality equipment to be real for some reason.

These kinds of people would likely prefer absolute rubbish to just good or average games.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Apparently Serebii also came under fire for adopting a neutral stance instead of pushing a negative agenda. These people really want unpatched versions of a game streamed on low-quality equipment to be real for some reason.
People have the mentality that the more this game fails, the more likely they'll be able to get what they want in Gen 9.

Aside from the fact that they're robbing themselves of what could potentially be a very fun game if they gave it the chance, the odds of Game Freak reversing their decision on the most prominent issue, the Dex, is very unlikely. By then, we'll be getting close to the milestone of 1,000 Pokemon, which will be an absolute nightmare to balance.

Now I'm not saying Game Freak can't learn from this criticism for future games. There's actually a few things they addressed in SwSh from the last games. I just don't think a boycott, daily protests on Twitter, and a strong desire to dissuade people from buying SwSh will amount to much.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, despite the controversy, there still seems to be a pair of good games underneath. The core gameplay looks to be as solid as ever (And hey, 400 'mons to choose from during the main campaign offers a damn lot of party variety!), the new features are intriguing, and it'll be easier to get into competitive play than ever. Seriously, mints that effectively let you change natures is a huge deal, as is an extensive Move Tutor list in the debut games of a generation for the first time (usually takes at least a year for them to show up).

I feel like we won't truly be able to gauge these games until a couple years from now, when we have better context of the big picture...and probably more knowledge of if anything happened during development. Got a feeling this saga might come with its own tragic backstory...

These kinds of people would likely prefer absolute rubbish to just good or average games.
People have the mentality that the more this game fails, the more likely they'll be able to get what they want in Gen 9.
Not just that, I think these vocal minorities want to see the games crash and burn as "punishment" for not meeting their expectations. Which brings out a whole mess of further questions...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
there still seems to be a pair of good games underneath
Sure, but there will be a REALLY good game/pair of games if you wait even longer for the third version/whatever they do. Which is what I'm gonna do instead of...well...anything people caught up in hashtag drama is going to.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sure, but there will be a REALLY good game/pair of games if you wait even longer for the third version/whatever they do. Which is what I'm gonna do instead of...well...anything people caught up in hashtag drama is going to.
There's nothing wrong with waiting for a third version if you think it'll be better.

Just be aware that a third version isn't guaranteed. It's possible we could get a scenario similar to XY where the Sinnoh remakes end up taking the spot and we get no third version.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm not really sure when i'll be able to play Sword given that there's no chance for us to afford a switch yet.

But i am hopping these games are at least up there with the better games in the series, not just average. Given I'm more of a casual player I'm not sure if i'll get into the new methods of building a competitive team very much. Probably will just complete the dex and find shiny pokemon.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Aside from the fact that they're robbing themselves of what could potentially be a very fun game if they gave it the chance, the odds of Game Freak reversing their decision on the most prominent issue, the Dex, is very unlikely. By then, we'll be getting close to the milestone of 1,000 Pokemon, which will be an absolute nightmare to balance.

Now I'm not saying Game Freak can't learn from this criticism for future games. There's actually a few things they addressed in SwSh from the last games. I just don't think a boycott, daily protests on Twitter, and a strong desire to dissuade people from buying SwSh will amount to much.
I've always felt that Pokemon spin-offs provide the features main games are criticized for. Mystery Dungeon and sometimes Rangers have great stories, and Pokken has the graphically impressive combat. Not to say the main games shouldn't try to strive for more in all areas, but it's hardly game-breaking as long as alternatives exist. Everyone plays Pokemon for different reasons, which you can feel in a lot of reviews for this game.
I'm not really sure when i'll be able to play Sword given that there's no chance for us to afford a switch yet.

But i am hopping these games are at least up there with the better games in the series, not just average. Given I'm more of a casual player I'm not sure if i'll get into the new methods of building a competitive team very much. Probably will just complete the dex and find shiny pokemon.
The wild area will keep you busy for a long time if Pokemon catching is your main goal. Sounds like it's good at surprising you with weather changes and updating with Gyms beaten.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I got the double pack, but I took a gamble and ordered it from the Pokemon Center store online. They're notorious for shipping my stuff late, but they typically have the best gifts. This time they were giving three keychain plushies, one of each starter. I was thinking about getting the double pack from Best Buy because they give you a metal coin (and a tiny stand) with Zacian and Zamazenta on it, but I felt like the plushies were the better deal.

Anyway, we're less than a day away from SwSh. For anyone getting the game this weekend, feel free to share your progress in this thread. We can also discuss potential movesets for Zacian and Zamazenta now, as well as how likely we think they are compared to other Pokemon from Gen 8.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok the games out in several parts of the world, still about 4 hours here, so i want to remind everyone please use spoiler boxes

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Tbh, Zacian is starting to grow on me. I kind of really like it now and I would be pretty stoked if Zacian did get in.

Although, I suppose it’s mostly because the other Pokémon don’t seem that interesting to me. Starters are pretty meh, and not a lot seem to show a lot of smash potential, at least for me. Was thinking about pushing for Bolthound, but Bolthound didn’t shape up to be the way I wanted to, and I feel that I would be riding off from Lycanroc too much, although I suppose that’s kinda hypocritical since Zacian and Zamazenta also have a lot in common with Lycanroc. But what can I do :mybodyisreggie:.

Aside from Zacian... Toxtricity. It’s cool as hell.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Tbh, Zacian is starting to grow on me. I kind of really like it now and I would be pretty stoked if Zacian did get in.

Although, I suppose it’s mostly because the other Pokémon don’t seem that interesting to me. Starters are pretty meh, and not a lot seem to show a lot of smash potential, at least for me. Was thinking about pushing for Bolthound, but Bolthound didn’t shape up to be the way I wanted to, and I feel that I would be riding off from Lycanroc too much, although I suppose that’s kinda hypocritical since Zacian and Zamazenta also have a lot in common with Lycanroc. But what can I do :mybodyisreggie:.

Aside from Zacian... Electox. It’s cool as hell.
Glad to hear it. Maybe it'll grow on you even more when you see it in the games.

I will agree with you on the starters though. I don't think the theme Scorbunny and Sobble's final evos went with are unique or combat-based enough to warrant getting in Smash. I think Grookey's would be an interesting fighter, but at the same time, it seems like it'd be the most difficult one to add (Plus, I'm not exactly eager to imagine Sakurai adding fuel to the fire that starter types need to be evenly distributed on the roster.)

As for other contenders aside from the starters, I think we have a few worth looking at.

862.png
865.png
861.png
858.png
849.png
887.png

I think these guys have potential. I haven't seen much of them in battle, but each seems to have a few qualities Sakurai might be interested in.

Either way, feels like we have more to choose from than we did in SuMo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I will agree with you on the starters though. I don't think the theme Scorbunny and Sobble's final evos went with are unique or combat-based enough to warrant getting in Smash. I think Grookey's would be an interesting fighter, but at the same time, it seems like it'd be the most difficult one to add (Plus, I'm not exactly eager to imagine Sakurai adding fuel to the fire that starter types need to be evenly distributed on the roster.)
I just don't want to continue the starter pattern, period. I'm glad Grookey evolves into something that looks like it'd be an awkward fighter, if not a DK clone.

inb4 it becomes a DK echo

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Just went and looked at the exclusive pokemon: Sword's exclusive pokemon (the new ones) overwhelms Shield for me with only 1 pokemon I want to use being exclusive to Shield.

Applin's split evolution Appletun. Though i can't really pick whether i prefer Flapple or Appletun.

Glad to hear it. Maybe it'll grow on you even more when you see it in the games.

As for other contenders aside from the starters, I think we have a few worth looking at.

View attachment 246705View attachment 246706View attachment 246707View attachment 246708View attachment 246709View attachment 246710

I think these guys have potential. I haven't seen much of them in battle, but each seems to have a few qualities Sakurai might be interested in.

I'd love to see what Dragapult could do. I'm surprised we don't have a pseudo legendary as a playable character.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

View attachment 246705View attachment 246706View attachment 246707View attachment 246708View attachment 246709View attachment 246710

Rillaboom's hidden ability is Grassy Surge (auto-generates Grassy Terrain upon switching in) and it's stump "shield" is actually a weapon whose roots Rillaboom can manipulate by drumming, in addition to being physically strong and possessing some sound-based moves as you'd expect, like Boomburst.

"By drumming, it taps into the power of its special tree stump. The roots of the stump follow its direction in battle."

As far as that uncalled for DK reference made by another user, since Darkest Lariat is a TM now, Rillaboom ironically is capable of learning it. So he actually could do a "Spinning Kong" if he wanted.

For our doggos, it seems their signature move specifically requires them to know Iron Head. Dex entries mention them working with a king in the past and have special titles, Fairy King's Sword and Fighting Master's Shield. Level up movesets are very similar (Why Zamazenta learns Moonblast is mystery, neither have particularly good Sp. Atk.). One interesting move they both have which I think is new to this game is Laser Focus, which guarantees a crit on their next move.

I'll write up the other Pokemon you mentioned when I have time.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd love to see what Dragapult could do. I'm surprised we don't have a pseudo legendary as a playable character.
If Smash focused primarily on Pokemon, I'm sure we would've gotten a pseudo by now.

That being said, I guess I'm not too surprised that we haven't gotten one either. A lot of the pseudos share a similar core design, and it might've felt difficult for Sakurai to make them unique. Actually, this Gen's psuedo is the only one to have a design and gimmick so unique that it would easily feel different from other pseudos.

Rillaboom's hidden ability is Grassy Surge (auto-generates Grassy Terrain upon switching in) and it's stump "shield" is actually a weapon whose roots Rillaboom can manipulate by drumming, in addition to being physically strong and possessing some sound-based moves as you'd expect, like Boomburst.

"By drumming, it taps into the power of its special tree stump. The roots of the stump follow its direction in battle."

As far as that uncalled for DK reference made by another user, since Darkest Lariat is a TM now, Rillaboom ironically is capable of learning it. So he actually could do a "Spinning Kong" if he wanted.

For our doggos, it seems their signature move specifically requires them to know Iron Head. Dex entries mention them working with a king in the past and have special titles, Fairy King's Sword and Fighting Master's Shield. Level up movesets are very similar (Why Zamazenta learns Moonblast is mystery, neither have particularly good Sp. Atk.). One interesting move they both have which I think is new to this game is Laser Focus, which guarantees a crit on their next move.

I'll write up the other Pokemon you mentioned when I have time.
While I'm glad there's more to Rillaboom's drum than I initially thought, I'm still skeptical about it working well in Smash. Aerials are what confuse me the most, as I'm not sure how it'd be able to jump around and attack if it's carrying that large drum and stick around. He kinda feels like this Gen's Primarina in the sense that he's almost strictly a ground fighter.

The Legendaries have some good moves. Not sure if Sakurai would use many of them and instead do his own thing like he did with Incineroar, but I think we can make a pretty unique moveset out of the moves they're capable of learning. Like you pointed out, Laser Focus would be a good move to implement. It could work similarly to Deep Breathing, only it would require a longer charge and would offer much more attack/launching power.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Since they seemed to be concerned about competitive play with these FP characters, and the Chus are notoriously competitively viable, they might also do something with Morpeko and its Hunger Switch ability.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If Smash focused primarily on Pokemon, I'm sure we would've gotten a pseudo by now.

That being said, I guess I'm not too surprised that we haven't gotten one either. A lot of the pseudos share a similar core design, and it might've felt difficult for Sakurai to make them unique. Actually, this Gen's psuedo is the only one to have a design and gimmick so unique that it would easily feel different from other pseudos.

While I'm glad there's more to Rillaboom's drum than I initially thought, I'm still skeptical about it working well in Smash. Aerials are what confuse me the most, as I'm not sure how it'd be able to jump around and attack if it's carrying that large drum and stick around. He kinda feels like this Gen's Primarina in the sense that he's almost strictletly a ground fighter.

The Legendaries have some good moves. Not sure if Sakurai would use many of them and instead do his own thing like he did with Incineroar, but I think we can make a pretty unique moveset out of the moves they're capable of learning. Like you pointed out, Laser Focus would be a good move to implement. It could work similarly to Deep Breathing, only it would require a longer charge and would offer much more attack/launching power.
I don't see how carrying heavy equipment, that so many other fighters do, equates to not having legs to jump with.

Any way, about those Pokemon you mentioned earlier...

Grimmsnarl: Learns lots of priority moves and has Prankster, loads of debuffing moves. G-Max move is a super-damaging Yawn.
Hatterene: Abysmally slow, but surprisingly well-rounded for a Psychic/Fairy otherwise, even physically. Learns lot of healing moves for others, odd considering it's dex entries paint it as violently antisocial, the anti-Gardevoir as far as emotions go.
Sirfetch'd: Evolves by landing 3 crits in one battle, the same crit monster it's been built up as through the gens but now with monster attack and decent bulk. Also can learn First Impression and has Scrappy as hidden ability.
Toxitricity: Evolves into either Amped or Low-Key form depending on Nature. Amped learns more attack moves and Low-Key has more status. Punk Rock ability boosts sound moves while reducing their effectiveness towards Toxitricity. G-Max move is Electric with random poison or paralysis
Dragapult: It's Salamence. Aside from the Dragon Darts move it's not as unique as it looks. Doesn't levitate.
Obstagoon: Pretty well-rounded, good physical offence boosted by abilities and good defences while only losing a little speed from Linoone. Has some countering moves including Obstruct of course.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Last thing we want are new Spirits. Getting anything to promote SwSh aside from Spirits is a good sign for us.

Anyway, to anyone who has the game, are you enjoying it so far? I'm having a lot of fun, and to my surprise, many people are coming out and admitting that it's not as bad as they thought it would be. There's still a few who are bitter, but it's not nearly as many as before.

Staarih

Smash Master
Anyway, to anyone who has the game, are you enjoying it so far? I'm having a lot of fun, and to my surprise, many people are coming out and admitting that it's not as bad as they thought it would be. There's still a few who are bitter, but it's not nearly as many as before.
Yeah, everything was bound to calm down once the games are out, people play them and move on. While some people will still have their gripes with some things, it won't be as vocal as before release as that's when all the expectations and speculation gather up.

Anyway, I'm way too busy this weekend to fully get into Shield, but I did start it yesterday and got to the first route. What I'm really impressed by so far is the presentation: the world looks beautiful and the animations are surprisingly fluid, characters have personality and emotions. Will have to see when I have more time to continue but can't wait to get back to it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just a Pokemon-only tournament.
and a pic on facebook of a giant pikachu next to pichu

Last thing we want are new Spirits. Getting anything to promote SwSh aside from Spirits is a good sign for us.

funny how things work out

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
I think the legendary duo this genration is my favourite of all the franchise, just behind diamond and pearl. Still I think that they could work in Smash and be a unique pick for Pokemon. I support.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So I guess there's no new pokemon spirits to be added as of now?
All quiet so far, aside from that upcoming tournament event that doesn't feature any new content. Not out of the woods yet, though; the Daemon Ex Machina spirits were added two weeks after its release. If we reach December without any spirits added on their own, then it probably won't happen beyond that.

At which point it'd raise questions as to why it was happening for a third big first party release.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Anyway, I'm way too busy this weekend to fully get into Shield, but I did start it yesterday and got to the first route. What I'm really impressed by so far is the presentation: the world looks beautiful and the animations are surprisingly fluid, characters have personality and emotions. Will have to see when I have more time to continue but can't wait to get back to it.
One of my favorite things so far is actually Gigantamax, which is suprising. The concept sounded stupid, but it's actually a solid feature that I legitimately enjoy. I think I might even like it more than Megas.

I think the legendary duo this genration is my favourite of all the franchise, just behind diamond and pearl. Still I think that they could work in Smash and be a unique pick for Pokemon. I support.
Glad to have your support. They're one of my favorites as well.

All quiet so far, aside from that upcoming tournament event that doesn't feature any new content. Not out of the woods yet, though; the Daemon Ex Machina spirits were added two weeks after its release. If we reach December without any spirits added on their own, then it probably won't happen beyond that.

At which point it'd raise questions as to why it was happening for a third big first party release.
It's hard to say if it'll mean anything in the long run. The only game that I can understand not getting Spirits is LM3, as I kinda doubt we were ever getting a character from that game. FE:TH, Astral Chain, RFA, and SwSh all have potential, and I'm left here wondering why none have gotten a Spirit when Peachette, Labo, and Toy Link did.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
One of my favorite things so far is actually Gigantamax, which is suprising. The concept sounded stupid, but it's actually a solid feature that I legitimately enjoy. I think I might even like it more than Megas.
Considering lore likely means Dynamaxing as it is won't leave Galar, couldn't they just introduce something similar, like the Synergy Bursts from Pokken, for other games (including Mega Evolutions where appropriate) and rework them function like Dynamaxing if that proves to be more balanced?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Considering lore likely means Dynamaxing as it is won't leave Galar, couldn't they just introduce something similar, like the Synergy Bursts from Pokken, for other games (including Mega Evolutions where appropriate) and rework them function like Dynamaxing if that proves to be more balanced?
If they really wanted to bring back Dynamax, they could easily come up with some random explanation on why it suddenly works in other regions.

I don't think they will bring it back though, unless it becomes feverishly popular among fans. Seems more likely they'll create another new gimmick and toss aside Dynamax like Megas and Z-moves.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If they really wanted to bring back Dynamax, they could easily come up with some random explanation on why it suddenly works in other regions.

I don't think they will bring it back though, unless it becomes feverishly popular among fans. Seems more likely they'll create another new gimmick and toss aside Dynamax like Megas and Z-moves.
Here's the thing though. Dyna/Gigantamaxing occupies the same niche that Megas and Z-moves used to occupy, but in a more nuanced way, which is far from just tossing out other mechanics because they were unpopular or for the hell of it.

Megas were a good idea on paper and let some low-tier mons shine, but they were just too powerful on average to the point of completely overshadowing the base Pokemon, which just raises the question of why they don't buff that if the only good thing it can do is Mega Evolve. And then we know what happens when given to already good Pokemon: they get put in a class of their own at worst (Mega Rayquaza).

Meanwhile, Z-Moves were strong, but their one-time only use in a battle severely limited the possible applications they could be used for. Either they were just standard nukes, or at best your whole strategy hinged on one like with something like Z-Splash.

Here we have transformations anyone can use, with powerful moves that do more than just cause a lot of damage, but with tweaked stat boosts and a more reasonable turn limit that prevents them from singlehandedly carrying you to victory. Even for the ones blessed with a Gigantamax, they mostly amount to having an extra tool in their box rather than being a huge privilege. I'm of the mind that if your goal is to drastically boost a Pokemon's viability, mundane solutions like boosting their characteristics or regional forms are a better way of going about it.

It's too soon to say if Dynamaxing, or at least the mechanics behind it, will stay as they are, since we still need to see how they shake out in the meta, but the general idea behind it has stuck for three generations so far so it's unlikely it will go away for good, regardless of whatever form it may take.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's the thing though. Dyna/Gigantamaxing occupies the same niche that Megas and Z-moves used to occupy, but in a more nuanced way, which is far from just tossing out other mechanics because they were unpopular or for the hell of it.

Megas were a good idea on paper and let some low-tier mons shine, but they were just too powerful on average to the point of completely overshadowing the base Pokemon, which just raises the question of why they don't buff that if the only good thing it can do is Mega Evolve. And then we know what happens when given to already good Pokemon: they get put in a class of their own at worst (Mega Rayquaza).

Meanwhile, Z-Moves were strong, but their one-time only use in a battle severely limited the possible applications they could be used for. Either they were just standard nukes, or at best your whole strategy hinged on one like with something like Z-Splash.

Here we have transformations anyone can use, with powerful moves that do more than just cause a lot of damage, but with tweaked stat boosts and a more reasonable turn limit that prevents them from singlehandedly carrying you to victory. Even for the ones blessed with a Gigantamax, they mostly amount to having an extra tool in their box rather than being a huge privilege. I'm of the mind that if your goal is to drastically boost a Pokemon's viability, mundane solutions like boosting their characteristics or regional forms are a better way of going about it.

It's too soon to say if Dynamaxing, or at least the mechanics behind it, will stay as they are, since we still need to see how they shake out in the meta, but the general idea behind it has stuck for three generations so far so it's unlikely it will go away for good, regardless of whatever form it may take.
I mean, I don't disagree. Overall, I think Dynamax is a better mechanic for Pokemon games than Megas and Z-moves, and if it were up to me, I'd try keeping it (or something similar). It's just that Game Freak seems more interested in scrapping or rebranding old gimmicks rather than building upon existing ones and marketing them as improved.

Maybe they could keep Dynamax the same way they kept Megas in SuMo. It's not preferable, but at least they won't be gone for good.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So the first episode of the new series is out (really dig the new intro). What do you think of the series' potential as well as the character Go?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So the first episode of the new series is out (really dig the new intro). What do you think of the series' potential as well as the character Go?
I'll have to watch more before I could tell you.

My initial feelings? Hopeful things turn out to be good, but somewhat disappointed. My main issue is that there doesn't seem to be an obvious plot to this series that'll advance the further we go. The nine or so episode titles we have so far seem to be really random "Region of the day" episodes that don't help Ash get any closer to his goal. Gao's maybe, but not Ash. Now it's not abnormal for a new series to start out slow, but it feels like the writers are hoping nostalgia and bringing back old Pokemon for an episode or two will be enough to keep viewers interested. Seems like most fans currently agree that it will, but I'm not so sure. Really hope they let Ash challenge the Galar league at some point. Otherwise, Gen 8 got shafted hard.

At least the continuity is still there.

EJO7EKqVUAA8K1j.jpeg.jpg

Now Gao? He okay. As of now, he feels like a watered-down version of Ash. The chemistry between them is there, but they might mesh together a little too well. I'll have to wait and see how much he adds to the series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll have to watch more before I could tell you.

My initial feelings? Hopeful things turn out to be good, but somewhat disappointed. My main issue is that there doesn't seem to be an obvious plot to this series that'll advance the further we go. The nine or so episode titles we have so far seem to be really random "Region of the day" episodes that don't help Ash get any closer to his goal. Gao's maybe, but not Ash. Now it's not abnormal for a new series to start out slow, but it feels like the writers are hoping nostalgia and bringing back old Pokemon for an episode or two will be enough to keep viewers interested. Seems like most fans currently agree that it will, but I'm not so sure. Really hope they let Ash challenge the Galar league at some point. Otherwise, Gen 8 got shafted hard.

At least the continuity is still there.

View attachment 247058

Now Gao? He okay. As of now, he feels like a watered-down version of Ash. The chemistry between them is there, but they might mesh together a little too well. I'll have to wait and see how much he adds to the series.
trust professor ego trip to give ash a statue of himself

Top Bottom