• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We're roughly one month away from the release of SwSh. Much to my disappointment, we haven't learned much more about Zacian and Zamazenta since their release, but that's okay. The wait won't be much longer, then we'll have plenty to discuss. Might even be able to start brainstorming on some full-fledged movesets.

Anyway, I might as well ask since we're nearing the end. Which version will you be picking up? Sword or Shield? While I prefer Sword, I plan on buying them both.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Typically I stick to just 1 version (exceptions being ORAS), so for this one i'll go with Sword. I prefer Zacian over Zamazenta, prefer the other version exclusives from Sword vs the ones in Shield (just slightly though) and exclusive gym leaders aren't reason enough to consider getting Shield. And also the price point isn't helping with that. Have other switch games i'd like to get.
Just hoping i can get a switch before the games come out, wouldn't want to see all the pokemon available from day 1-2.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We're roughly one month away from the release of SwSh. Much to my disappointment, we haven't learned much more about Zacian and Zamazenta since their release, but that's okay. The wait won't be much longer, then we'll have plenty to discuss. Might even be able to start brainstorming on some full-fledged movesets.

Anyway, I might as well ask since we're nearing the end. Which version will you be picking up? Sword or Shield? While I prefer Sword, I plan on buying them both.
ill be getting shield

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
What could they announce tomorrow then?

There seems to be a lot they could potentially show: New Evolutions, Characters, Pokemon, Galar Forms, Features, More towns, etc.
Don't know what to expect.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What could they announce tomorrow then?

There seems to be a lot they could potentially show: New Evolutions, Characters, Pokemon, Galar Forms, Features, More towns, etc.
Don't know what to expect.
well a magazine seems to have leaked four gigantimax forms so maybe that

Arcadenik Arcadenik one of them may interest you

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here they are in action; Gigantamax Butterfree was revealed as well. Some other note-worthy parts:

-Gigantamax Pikachu amd Eevee are available if you have data for LGPE (who’s surprised lol)
-Gigantamax Meowth is available as an early purchase bonus until January 15th.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well knowing about pikachu and meowth before hand kind of ruined it just a little but ill be getting them both and use them on the team for a bit

butterfree and eevee are a little underwhelming

charizard looks cool but its kind of under cut by the fact that of course he has an gigantimax, its a bit weird that around gen 6 game freak decided to become as obsessed with gen 1 as some fans are

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
well knowing about pikachu and meowth before hand kind of ruined it just a little but ill be getting them both and use them on the team for a bit

butterfree and eevee are a little underwhelming

charizard looks cool but its kind of under cut by the fact that of course he has an gigantimax, its a bit weird that around gen 6 game freak decided to become as obsessed with gen 1 as some fans are
Really?! I thought butterfree looked amazing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only one I'm not sold on is Eevee, but that's hardly an uncommon opinion. The rest are pretty cool, especially Charizard. I'm a little on the fence with Meowth since I think it looks a little weird, but I could warm up to it.

Makes me wonder though. Will Zacian and Zamazenta have a Gigantamax form?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not much, but we may have FINALLY gotten a small hint as to what Zacian/Zamazenta's role will be in the new games.

"Instead, you’re given your starter pokémon from Leon, who just happens to be older brother of your best friend Hop. Leon is the role model you’ll both be chasing after as you set off to collect gym badges, and he acts much like a guiding light in your quests to become the region’s best trainers.

You also have a chance run-in with a powerful pokémon of ancient legend, setting up a fateful meeting far down the line in the narrative."

So it sounds like you might meet Zacian or Zamazenta early in the game. At the very least, this makes it seem like both will have a legitimate impact on the story instead of just randomly being thrown in like Xerneus and Yveltal.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"Instead, you’re given your starter pokémon from Leon, who just happens to be older brother of your best friend Hop. Leon is the role model you’ll both be chasing after as you set off to collect gym badges, and he acts much like a guiding light in your quests to become the region’s best trainers.
he aint gonna be my role model

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We have a very interesting leak that goes into great detail about Zacian and Zamazenta. We don't have official confirmation on it being true, but it's gotten a lot of things right.

20191017_135758.jpg
20191017_173558.jpg
20191017_135829.jpg

Grain of salt, as always, but if this is true, then Zacian and Zamazenta's chances of getting chosen as the next Pokemon rep have skyrocketed. I think we might be able to win more people over to support the wolf Legendaries in the next month or so.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
We have a very interesting leak that goes into great detail about Zacian and Zamazenta. We don't have official confirmation on it being true, but it's gotten a lot of things right.

Grain of salt, as always, but if this is true, then Zacian and Zamazenta's chances of getting chosen as the next Pokemon rep have skyrocketed. I think we might be able to win more people over to support the wolf Legendaries in the next month or so.
How did this one gain traction? I notice it dates back to just three days ago, so we need to make absolute sure it's worth taking seriously, especially since we saw some pretty comprehensive hoaxes in the lead up to Sun and Moon.

That said, if it is legit...

This could be Sword & Shield's version of Thanibomb's intel that turned so many people around on Three Houses. A more complicated story than they've let on, a lot of new regional variants and Gigantamax forms that reach all the way through Gen 5, and many more returning 'mons than people feared. The starters all sound pretty interesting (especially Scorbunny going Fire/Steel with metal football/soccer pads), even, as does Eternatus being the first ever Poison type legendary.

Plus, Zacian and Zamazenta keeping close watch on the player from very early on points toward a very important presence in the overall plot. To say no less of their typings--we kind of figured Zamazenta was Steel/Fire, but Steel/Water for Zacian is really interesting. Especially since Smash doesn't have many waterbenders (just Squirtle and Greninja, with Corrin only using it a little), so it's a lot easier to carve a niche out of than, say, fire or lightning.

I'm a little skeptical of the story details, though. Rose giving Leon artificially overpowered 'mons, then having it exposed when his Charizard one shots one of Marnie's own 'mons despite a type advantage, leading to her obsessed fans starting a riot that ends up exposing the truth? And this happens not even halfway in? Seems a little too complicated for a series that has only dipped its toes in complex plots a couple times in the main games.

Overall, I'm very intrigued...but I gotta sit on the fence for now until we learn more and can match it up against this.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How did this one gain traction? I notice it dates back to just three days ago, so we need to make absolute sure it's worth taking seriously, especially since we saw some pretty comprehensive hoaxes in the lead up to Sun and Moon.

That said, if it is legit...

This could be Sword & Shield's version of Thanibomb's intel that turned so many people around on Three Houses. A more complicated story than they've let on, a lot of new regional variants and Gigantamax forms that reach all the way through Gen 5, and many more returning 'mons than people feared. The starters all sound pretty interesting (especially Scorbunny going Fire/Steel with metal football/soccer pads), even, as does Eternatus being the first ever Poison type legendary.

Plus, Zacian and Zamazenta keeping close watch on the player from very early on points toward a very important presence in the overall plot. To say no less of their typings--we kind of figured Zamazenta was Steel/Fire, but Steel/Water for Zacian is really interesting. Especially since Smash doesn't have many waterbenders (just Squirtle and Greninja, with Corrin only using it a little), so it's a lot easier to carve a niche out of than, say, fire or lightning.

I'm a little skeptical of the story details, though. Rose giving Leon artificially overpowered 'mons, then having it exposed when his Charizard one shots one of Marnie's own 'mons despite a type advantage, leading to her obsessed fans starting a riot that ends up exposing the truth? And this happens not even halfway in? Seems a little too complicated for a series that has only dipped its toes in complex plots a couple times in the main games.

Overall, I'm very intrigued...but I gotta sit on the fence for now until we learn more and can match it up against this.
For starters, a lot of these descriptions go along with other rumors that have gained traction, such as the Ben Affleck leak and the vague picture leak that correctly guessed Morpeko, Gigantamax Meowth, Sirfetch'd, Galarian Ponyta, and Galarian Wheezing without the help of the former.

But as for what this leak has guessed on it's own so far, it was able to predict Gigantamax Eevee, Meowth, Charizard (which it claims will be the only Kanto starter to get a Gigantamax form), and Butterfree before they were revealed. It's also correctly guessed a few Pokemon that were shown to be in the game over the past few days.

It could be fake, but if you read the whole thing, it's pretty convincing. If it really is a fake, this person spent a lot of time thinking about his answers before typing, because there's not much there that contradicts what we already know.

The Leon and Chairman Rose thing has me questioning it, but not necessarily because I don't buy it. I'm just wondering how the story will be handled afterwards? Will the plot transition to Eternatus, or will Rose still have a part to play? The leaker did say the climax of the story took place at the northernmost town, right where Rose's headquarters are located.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
For starters, a lot of these descriptions go along with other rumors that have gained traction, such as the Ben Affleck leak and the vague picture leak that correctly guessed Morpeko, Gigantamax Meowth, Sirfetch'd, Galarian Ponyta, and Galarian Wheezing without the help of the former.

But as for what this leak has guessed on it's own so far, it was able to predict Gigantamax Eevee, Meowth, Charizard (which it claims will be the only Kanto starter to get a Gigantamax form), and Butterfree before they were revealed. It's also correctly guessed a few Pokemon that were shown to be in the game over the past few days.

It could be fake, but if you read the whole thing, it's pretty convincing. If it really is a fake, this person spent a lot of time thinking about his answers before typing, because there's not much there that contradicts what we already know.

The Leon and Chairman Rose thing has me questioning it, but not necessarily because I don't buy it. I'm just wondering how the story will be handled afterwards? Will the plot transition to Eternatus, or will Rose still have a part to play? The leaker did say the climax of the story took place at the northernmost town, right where Rose's headquarters are located.
Overall...

What it's been right on since October 14th that wasn't previously mentioned in the Affleck leak:

- G-Max Eevee is a thing
- G-Max Charizard exists while counterparts for Venusaur and Blastoise seemingly do not
- Drampa is present in Galar (confirmed about 12 hours after the post was made)

What it seemingly has wrong:

- Hop's second 'mon in his rival battle is the Corviknight line's base form, Corvipage (a new IGN article claims it's Wooloo instead).

That said, apparently there's some hearsay that a second rival battle with Hop happens pretty early on where he has three party members, so perhaps there was some miscommunication over when he gets the Corviknight prevo. Not out of the question; Thanibomb had heard ambiguous info about a playable beast unit when she spilled the beans on her 3H intel, but that turned out to be incorrect (Possibly a misunderstanding of some details surrounding the character Marianne?) while basically everything else she reported on was real.

Ambiguous info:

- Claims you can catch Rolycoly before the first gym, since you go through the mine dungeon before Milo...yet press reports seem to imply Milo is the second gym leader, not the first. But the mine dungeon may still be accessible before the first gym anyway.

I agree that if it's a hoax, it's a very well thought out one. The names all feel like something that could be real (with the possible exception of the Impidimp evo and the gnome/troll line's base form), and the information all seems to line up with the two credible leaks while also adding new things. Worth keeping an eye on, albeit a cautious one.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Still nothing related to whether or not the leak could be real, but I found this fan art of Zacian and Zamazenta if they had a preevolution.

Not even remotely intimidating. I almost wish they were real.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Still nothing related to whether or not the leak could be real, but I found this fan art of Zacian and Zamazenta if they had a preevolution.

Not even remotely intimidating. I almost wish they were real.
x3 D'awww, that's TOO ADORABLE! I wouldn't mind something like that.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Surprised I didn't catch this sooner, but Zacian can use its long ribbon-like strands of fur to sheath its sword.

View attachment 243226
xD Oh my, I had been wondering if Zacian EVER got the sword out of his mouth, and I really like the way they figured it out. Also, the overall artwork is gorgeous. :3

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Surprised I didn't catch this sooner, but Zacian can use its long ribbon-like strands of fur to sheath its sword.

View attachment 243226
Now that's interesting. I'd been trying to figure out how grabs and handling items could work without making the sword suddenly disappear. Turns out there's been a simple, elegant, and--most importantly--canon solution this whole time.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Now that's interesting. I'd been trying to figure out how grabs and handling items could work without making the sword suddenly disappear. Turns out there's been a simple, elegant, and--most importantly--canon solution this whole time.
Oh yeah, I didn't even consider the "can't hold items" argument.

I agree. This should be enough to kill that point. It can even help us explain how Zacian could hold two-handed items, like the Daybreaker. Assuming only one strand of fur is required for the sword, the other one could help Zacian hold the item.

Zamazenta will still be a constant battle, but at least it doesn't have a giant sword in its mouth. Just depends on whether or not you believe a mouth is enough to hold items.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I agree. This should be enough to kill that point. It can even help us explain how Zacian could hold two-handed items, like the Daybreaker. Assuming only one strand of fur is required for the sword, the other one could help Zacian hold the item.

Zamazenta will still be a constant battle, but at least it doesn't have a giant sword in its mouth. Just depends on whether or not you believe a mouth is enough to hold items.
Don't Pikachu and Pichu hold things and swing with their mouths?

The ribbons could also be used to swing Zacian's sword in ways he couldn't with his mouth.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Don't Pikachu and Pichu hold things and swing with their mouths?

The ribbons could also be used to swing Zacian's sword in ways he couldn't with his mouth.
Yes, but they're both biped and quad. They have the luxury of switching to two feet whenever it makes more sense.

And the ribbons could definitely help Zacian get better angles with his sword. Just depends on how much control he has over them. Seems like they're similar to Sylveon's ribbon tentacles, but I guess we'll have to wait and see per usual.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I support for both Zacian and Zamazenta.
(My most wanted Poke'mon rep is Corviknight, but wouldn't mind these two.)
I think they would be interesting instead of just another starter's final evolution.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

I was never worried about interacting with items as a whole. The majority of you have seen my ideas for how Lycanroc would work around it, and that'd hold true for this pair as well.

The part that had me stumped with Zacian in particular was "But where would the sword go?" But now that's been addressed in official artwork.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was never worried about interacting with items as a whole. The majority of you have seen my ideas for how Lycanroc would work around it, and that'd hold true for this pair as well.

The part that had me stumped with Zacian in particular was "But where would the sword go?" But now that's been addressed in official artwork.
Even with the ribbon fur, there's still going to be people who claim Zacian wouldn't work because it can't hold items, or clap in victory screens, or some other third ridiculous reason.

I'm sure these temporarily pose as a problem for Sakurai and his team, but I highly doubt it would ever be an issue that they couldn't solve before their lunch break on one random Tuesday morning. Sakurai isn't going to deny a character over something as minuscule as "can't properly hold crate." He's more likely to try something that doesn't make sense at all, like making Kirby's copy ability of Peach and Rosalina spawn a Toad and Luma respectively out of thin air.

Zacian's sword could be in its mouth while other items are being carried, or Sakurai could simply make it disappear while Zacian is holding something.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So, I've been thinking about the upcoming anime. Specifically the way they're having Ash and a new character share the leading role, based on how the prerelease art depicts them...and now I can't help but wonder if there's a reason for that. We heard from press coverage of early on in the games that you have a "fated encounter" with an unknown 'mon that is Most Definitely Not your game's cover legendary. I've actually had a theory for a while that the player character ends up being Zacian or Zamazenta's chosen champion of some kind.

What if that happens in the anime as well? What if Ash and Go (or whatever his English name ends up being) are chosen by them in that canon, and that's why there needed to be two protagonists on equal footing?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, I've been thinking about the upcoming anime. Specifically the way they're having Ash and a new character share the leading role, based on how the prerelease art depicts them...and now I can't help but wonder if there's a reason for that. We heard from press coverage of early on in the games that you have a "fated encounter" with an unknown 'mon that is Most Definitely Not your game's cover legendary. I've actually had a theory for a while that the player character ends up being Zacian or Zamazenta's chosen champion of some kind.

What if that happens in the anime as well? What if Ash and Go (or whatever his English name ends up being) are chosen by them in that canon, and that's why there needed to be two protagonists on equal footing?
The good news is that more merch centered on the anime was recently revealed, and Zacian and Zamazenta were included in many of them.

Now that doesn't mean much - practically every new anime series promotes the current box art Legendaries. XY included Xerneus and Yveltal in the first opening, despite neither being in the anime outside the movie. Regardless, it's still reassuring. Given the new anime's theme, I'm sure many of us thought Gen 8 would get shafted.

It would be nice though if Zacian and Zamazenta were recurring Pokemon or even part of Ash or Gao's main team. I doubt it'll happen, but hey, who knows? Ash won a league and got a permanent Mythical Pokemon in his team during Sun and Moon.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
WE FINALLY HAVE IT!!!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Talk about attacking in style. And...without giving away what types the moves are. Definitely eye-catching, though.

Some more merch also got announced.

Promising that they're getting plushes of the legendaries out right away, even if Zamazenta looks...poorly posed there. Does anyone remember to what extent past cover legendaries saw things like this pre-release?

Top Bottom