• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sirfetch'd could work in Smash (although I question why certain people would be okay with it but not Zacian).

Not sure how I currently feel about it's chances. The moveset is there, but it feels a bit random if I'm being honest. Don't take that too seriously though. The only reason I say that is because all of the Pokemon we've gotten outside of Gen I are arguably one of, if not the most iconic Pokemon from that Gen. I haven't gotten that feeling from Sirfetch'd yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sirfetch'd could work in Smash (although I question why certain people would be okay with it but not Zacian).

Not sure how I currently feel about it's chances. The moveset is there, but it feels a bit random if I'm being honest. Don't take that too seriously though. The only reason I say that is because all of the Pokemon we've gotten outside of Gen I are arguably one of, if not the most iconic Pokemon from that Gen. I haven't gotten that feeling from Sirfetch'd yet.
I would think it's just another random Pokemon people find cool, but they did promote it with an intentionally glitchy webpage and a trailer dedicated to it alone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

you may be under estimating how much everyone seems to have fall in love with it

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
you may be under estimating how much everyone seems to have fall in love with it
It was just revealed yesterday, so I expect it to be a hot topic for a week or two. We'll have to wait and see if it lasts.

On a related note, check out this wonderful painting someone made.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not gonna lie, the title of the Sirfetch'd thread stings a little. We've existed since June, and Noi has claimed support for Zacian and Zamazenta (or at least he did at one point. I don't know if he stopped.)
and the three starters have had them even longer

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was referring to this thread and it's title. We've been "The Knights of Galar" since June.

The Sirfetch'd thread opened yesterday and goes by the title, "The Noble Knight of Galar".
oh that, yeah i get that the dixie kong thread claiming shes the last nintendo all stars annoys me as shes not

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Interesting leaks were found from the Dynamax website.

Basically...
  • Grookey will likely be a gorilla.
  • Rolycoly, Yamper, and Wooloo are the first form of an evolution line.
  • Alcermie and Polteageist are the second form of an evolution line.
  • Corviknight is the final form of an evolution line, suggesting it's the regional bird.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The conversation has sort of veered away from the main topic, so let's talk about the Legendaries again.

Setting Zacian's sword and Zamazenta's shield aside, what other attacks would you like to see from these two? Anything involving bites, claws, a projectile, or perhaps a stat-boosting move of some kind? Would you like to see Sakurai get creative and do something orginal like he did with Incineroar, or something more traditional like Lucario and Greninja?

Personally, I'd like a moveset composed of actual Pokemon moves. Zacian could get something like Swords Dance, where it gets a small boost in attack power if the move is completed uninterrupted, similar to Deep Breathing. I don't know what would work best, but Zamazenta should definitely have a projectile or two. If it's going to have a moveset revolving around defense, it needs a few attacks to keep it's distance so it's not just a sitting duck blocking every attack.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The conversation has sort of veered away from the main topic, so let's talk about the Legendaries again.

Setting Zacian's sword and Zamazenta's shield aside, what other attacks would you like to see from these two? Anything involving bites, claws, a projectile, or perhaps a stat-boosting move of some kind? Would you like to see Sakurai get creative and do something orginal like he did with Incineroar, or something more traditional like Lucario and Greninja?

Personally, I'd like a moveset composed of actual Pokemon moves. Zacian could get something like Swords Dance, where it gets a small boost in attack power if the move is completed uninterrupted, similar to Deep Breathing. I don't know what would work best, but Zamazenta should definitely have a projectile or two. If it's going to have a moveset revolving around defense, it needs a few attacks to keep it's distance so it's not just a sitting duck blocking every attack.
to be fair i think incineroar is the only one out of all ten pokemon to have a made up special everyone else has four from the games

its not exactly creative either its just a bunch of generic wrestler stuff

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
to be fair i think incineroar is the only one out of all ten pokemon to have a made up special everyone else has four from the games

its not exactly creative either its just a bunch of generic wrestler stuff
As much as I dislike Incineroar, I am going to point out that only Alolan Whip isn't from Pokemon. Same with the Chus' Thunder Jolt.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Forgot to post this earlier in the month, but better late than never, right?

TPC released the full design for Zacian and Zamazenta's card.

Pokémon-TCG-Galar-Collection_Zacian-V.jpg

Pokémon-TCG-Galar-Collection_Zamazenta-V.jpg

I was hoping they'd slip up and reveal their typing, but sadly, those have been cut out. I have absolutely no idea why they're being so secretive with these two, even with the simple things. Not sure if I should be excited or worried by that.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Forgot to post this earlier in the month, but better late than never, right?

TPC released the full design for Zacian and Zamazenta's card.

View attachment 239462
View attachment 239463

I was hoping they'd slip up and reveal their typing, but sadly, those have been cut out. I have absolutely no idea why they're being so secretive with these two, even with the simple things. Not sure if I should be excited or worried by that.
It may be either:
-There's a new type on the way.
-It'd be spoilers for the story.
-Or just something they just don't want to reveal for x reason.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Aren't types in TCG not necessarily indicative of actual typing, considering there's less of them there?

At any rate, that's the second signature move on the Sword side that happens to be a variant of Hyper Beam..

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
This is, by far, the latest we've gone without knowing the cover legendaries' typings, and it's weird. Why go so out of their way to hide it to where even a promo of their TCG cards goes out of its way to not imply anything? If they're both part Steel like people kinda figure they are, why not have the TCG promos be upfront about that?

It may be either:
I've considered the first two possibilities, but they make hardly any sense. We're less than two months away from release now, a point where it's highly unlikely they're still keeping a Light type or the like a secret from us (plus, the one big leak from last May that keeps getting stuff right said nothing about a new type). I mean, compare to Gen 6, where they revealed the Fairy type at E3!

Yet other explanations don't add up entirely either. If they're worried about story spoilers, what information do we currently have that, when combined with knowledge of their typings, would spoil something? It doesn't add up.

Or maybe we're overthinking it and they're just overcompensating for revealing too much in Gen 7's reveal cycles, or something similarly mundane. But then why go so out of their way?

I don't know. This is weird.

Aren't types in TCG not necessarily indicative of actual typing, considering there's less of them there?
It depends. For what it's worth, types that aren't present in the TCG are shuffled into types that do exist pretty consistently. Rock types are folded into Fighting, Ghost into Psychic, Flying into Colorless, etc. There's enough internal consistency that their primary types could at least be narrowed down.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It may be either:
I'll take a guess and say the last one. Their designs don't seem like they'd require a new type. Actually, Fighting, Steel, and Water/Fire would all be very appropriate types for these two. Spoilers? Maybe, but I can't imagine how that would really matter that much in the story. They should be able to tell us their types without giving any of the plot away.

Then again, here we are asking ourselves why they haven't been revealed yet, so who knows? I don't really have an answer.

This is, by far, the latest we've gone without knowing the cover legendaries' typings, and it's weird. Why go so out of their way to hide it to where even a promo of their TCG cards goes out of its way to not imply anything? If they're both part Steel like people kinda figure they are, why not have the TCG promos be upfront about that?
The secrecy they've kept with these two suggests that there's more that they don't want to spoil just yet, saving it for either a special trailer later down the road or for the game's release.

Still, we haven't come much farther from where we were at E3. We've gotten a few promos that gave a good look at the pair from different angles, but that's about it. We don't know their types, signature moves, possible Gigantamax forms, involvement with the story, or even their measurements on height and weight.

Kinda hard to make a case for these two getting in Smash as a newcomer when their designs and status as a Legendary are the only things we have to convince people to support them.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I'll take a guess and say the last one. Their designs don't seem like they'd require a new type. Actually, Fighting, Steel, and Water/Fire would all be very appropriate types for these two. Spoilers? Maybe, but I can't imagine how that would really matter that much in the story. They should be able to tell us their types without giving any of the plot away.

Then again, here we are asking ourselves why they haven't been revealed yet, so who knows? I don't really have an answer.

The secrecy they've kept with these two suggests that there's more that they don't want to spoil just yet, saving it for either a special trailer later down the road or for the game's release.

Still, we haven't come much farther from where we were at E3. We've gotten a few promos that gave a good look at the pair from different angles, but that's about it. We don't know their types, signature moves, possible Gigantamax forms, involvement with the story, or even their measurements on height and weight.

Kinda hard to make a case for these two getting in Smash as a newcomer when their designs and status as a Legendary are the only things we have to convince people to support them.
Yeah, I'm having the same issue with Obstagoon, even though most has been revealed. I dunno, making a case for a gen 8's hard, I'm surprised this thread has remained active no offense

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, I'm having the same issue with Obstagoon, even though most has been revealed. I dunno, making a case for a gen 8's hard, I'm surprised this thread has remained active no offense
Feelings on a SwSh Pokemon are all over the place.

Some people think we have too many Pokemon, and some think more is fine.
Some people only want new franchises, and some want existing franchises too.
Some people think we're only getting third-parties, and some think otherwise.
Some people aren't interested in any of the existing Pokemon, and some are.
Some people feel like the Dex issue has tainted anything related to SwSh, and some don't care.

Speculation for a Gen VIII Pokemon is gonna be uglier than it was for any other Gen prior, and I feel like it'll only get worse when SwSh is released and the starters are thrown into the mix.

That being said, I'm not too surprised that this thread is slowly but steadily moving forward. Most of the users who post here were frequent fliers in the Lycanroc thread, and that thread managed to easily outlast the Decidueye thread. If anything, I expect activity to rise sharply right before or after SwSh releases. We've already seen the best of the existing Pokemon, but Zacian and Zamazenta still have a lot to show.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We have a lot of things to talk about today.

For starters, Daemon X Machina is getting Spirits in Smash. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but Three Houses and Astral Chain have mysteriously gotten nothing. That's a promising sign that might indicate one of the two getting a character, hence why no Spirits have been added yet. It'd make more sense to wait and add Spirits alongside the new character (and possibly new stage) so there's a bundle of relevant material being released all at the same time. Needless to say, just getting a first-party of any kind, especially one from a newer game, is really good for us.

Like always though, grain of salt. Spirits have been really inconsistent so far. Link's Awakening got Spirits several months before the game was released, and Peachette randomly got added in May, long after NSMBU Deluxe hit store shelves. It's entirely possible that Three Houses and Astral Chain are either getting Spirits later or just not getting them at all.

Now on to the second topic - the anime. The poster for the new series just got leaked, and...it's different.

EFdu-owU4AACQA7.jpeg.jpg

Setting aside discussion on what the new anime will be like, there's two things I wanted to point out.

1. Seems like Ash's new companion will get a Scorbunny. Depending on whether or not Ash gets a starter Pokemon (which I think he will), Scorbunny is going to get a lot of screentime. Since the previous newcomer was Incineroar, the Scorbunny line is definitely the one we'll want to see get the most promotion, as I feel like Sakurai would be more hesitant with it than the other two. However, if Ash does get a starter, this would basically guarantee that he's getting Sobble or Grookey.

2. Notice how every region in the poster has some Legendaries.

20190927_114535.jpg

Yep. They're here.

To be fair, this really isn't a big deal since almost every series has has used the Legendaries in promo posters, but it's nice to know they'll still be involved even with the different setting.

I was also gonna say that this could give us an idea of how big they'll be, but the sizes of Pokemon in this poster are really inconsistent. At the very least, they do indeed seem smaller than other boxart Legendaries.

Lastly, we're getting a 24-hour livestream on October 4th that will supposedly reveal new Pokemon. What are they gonna do for 24 hours? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It seems it's finally big info time, with the 24 hour long livetream on Friday and this:
https://www.gameinformer.com/pokemon
Gameinformer will be releasing a lot of info regarding the development of Sword & Shield, and what i've seen from their video it's some really fascinating stuff. But, let's go over the points they cover and another bit of exciting news:

-First, they go over some things we knew about Max raid Battles and how they wanted them to be accesible, but emphasize how they will offer some of the toughest battles in the whole franchise.

-They then go over the Autosave feature and confirmed it can be turned off.

-Afterward, they go over the National dex and reasure us that the cut pokemon will return in future titles (as we alraedy knew from before) and the big reason they decided to cut pokemon in the first place: New Gameplay Features & Ideas.
Having to include every pokemon in every subsequent game made them give up in new ideas and limited them on how much they could experiment, so going foward they want to priotize new ways to play and enjoy pokemon.

-They go over HM's not returning mainly because it conflited with their idea of Sword & Shield offering more freedom of exploration.

-This one is... worrysome. The exp. share is no longer an item but it works automatically, functioning similar to Let's Go where every pokemon in your party gets experience. They didn't mention if you can turn it off.

-And the last thing in the Game Informer interview, which might be exciting for competitive players: supposedly being able to use your favorite pokemon in competitive. They hinted at an option to manually change the Natures of your pokemon, and if it's true, it's a HUGE deal.

And, finally this: https://nintendoeverything.com/pokemon-sword-shield-to-include-18-gyms-with-major-and-minor-leagues/
The games will feature a wopping 18 Gyms in the game, split into Minor and Major Leagues. I don't know what it means, but it's very exciting nonetheless. It means these games may have a lot more content that we anticipated.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It seems it's finally big info time, with the 24 hour long livetream on Friday and this:
https://www.gameinformer.com/pokemon
Gameinformer will be releasing a lot of info regarding the development of Sword & Shield, and what i've seen from their video it's some really fascinating stuff. But, let's go over the points they cover and another bit of exciting news:

-First, they go over some things we knew about Max raid Battles and how they wanted them to be accesible, but emphasize how they will offer some of the toughest battles in the whole franchise.

-They then go over the Autosave feature and confirmed it can be turned off.

-Afterward, they go over the National dex and reasure us that the cut pokemon will return in future titles (as we alraedy knew from before) and the big reason they decided to cut pokemon in the first place: New Gameplay Features & Ideas.
Having to include every pokemon in every subsequent game made them give up in new ideas and limited them on how much they could experiment, so going foward they want to priotize new ways to play and enjoy pokemon.

-They go over HM's not returning mainly because it conflited with their idea of Sword & Shield offering more freedom of exploration.

-This one is... worrysome. The exp. share is no longer an item but it works automatically, functioning similar to Let's Go where every pokemon in your party gets experience. They didn't mention if you can turn it off.

-And the last thing in the Game Informer interview, which might be exciting for competitive players: supposedly being able to use your favorite pokemon in competitive. They hinted at an option to manually change the Natures of your pokemon, and if it's true, it's a HUGE deal.

And, finally this: https://nintendoeverything.com/pokemon-sword-shield-to-include-18-gyms-with-major-and-minor-leagues/
The games will feature a wopping 18 Gyms in the game, split into Minor and Major Leagues. I don't know what it means, but it's very exciting nonetheless. It means these games may have a lot more content that we anticipated.
That info about trying to include all Pokemon coming at the expense of experimenting with gameplay ideas and modes kind of casts the post games of the Sun/Moon games in a new light.

Of course, there will always be those who think anything that doesn't involve competitive battling and preparing for it is a waste of time...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That info about trying to include all Pokemon coming at the expense of experimenting with gameplay ideas and modes kind of casts the post games of the Sun/Moon games in a new light.

Of course, there will always be those who think anything that doesn't involve competitive battling and preparing for it is a waste of time...
This is part of the reason why I'm more accepting of the National Dex getting cut. Getting every old Pokemon is nice, but new modes and features are what really draw me to a new Pokemon game.

Here's to hoping SwSh has a lot of surprises in store. It's gonna need them.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Seeing the 101 questions made to Gamefreak, when they were asked about seeing the evolutions of the starters, they laughed and said: ''It's probably better if you don't see it.''
Are they seriously going to keep their evolutions completely hidden till after release? I'd be shocked if that's the case.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Seeing the 101 questions made to Gamefreak, when they were asked about seeing the evolutions of the starters, they laughed and said: ''It's probably better if you don't see it.''
Are they seriously going to keep their evolutions completely hidden till after release? I'd be shocked if that's the case.
Sun and Moon revealing everything seems more like an exception than a norm. We only got final evos for Gen 6 nefore release due to leaks.

I get the feeling of wanting to encourage sticking with the one that struck with you from the beginning, rather than based on what it'll become.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Sun and Moon revealing everything seems more like an exception than a norm. We only got final evos for Gen 6 nefore release due to leaks.

I get the feeling of wanting to encourage sticking with the one that struck with you from the beginning, rather than based on what it'll become.
I'm more tha fine with that since i'm going with Sobble no matter what, but i'm just surprised.

Also, regarding the 18 gyms news, it seems to have been a misinterpratation, but even the new explanation seems quite vague.

-There's still going to be the traditional 8 Gyms and what they meant was that 18 types of gyms exist in Galar, from which 8 are selected each year for the major league.
But we don't know what role the minor league has to play in the games at all.

Anyways, now that there's 10 hours left before the livestream starts, what do you want to see in this huge stream?
I mean, what are they going to cram in a day-long livestream?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm more tha fine with that since i'm going with Sobble no matter what, but i'm just surprised.

Also, regarding the 18 gyms news, it seems to have been a misinterpratation, but even the new explanation seems quite vague.

-There's still going to be the traditional 8 Gyms and what they meant was that 18 types of gyms exist in Galar, from which 8 are selected each year for the major league.
But we don't know what role the minor league has to play in the games at all.

Anyways, now that there's 10 hours left before the livestream starts, what do you want to see in this huge stream?
I mean, what are they going to cram in a day-long livestream?
actually they never said eight, they said a number similar to previous games implying eight, so you never know there could be a surprise in store in regards to the gyms

bit of a nitpicky difference but a difference none the less

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I expected something to what the livestream is, but not for just 1 pokemon. It seems VERY excesive.
I get it replicates real-life nature research where nothing can happen for days, but i think 24 hours it too much, especially for a singular pokemon.
Of course there's still 7 hours left so who knows what else they might have.

At this point i think the starters aren't going to have their evolutions shown off.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The starters were never going to be shown off in the livestream anyway. We're only supposed to see Pokemon that are native to the area, which would definitely exclude the starters.

Anyway, the livestream (so far) may have been a little lackluster, but it's...something. Better than no news at all I suppose.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The starters were never going to be shown off in the livestream anyway. We're only supposed to see Pokemon that are native to the area, which would definitely exclude the starters.

Anyway, the livestream (so far) may have been a little lackluster, but it's...something. Better than no news at all I suppose.
I never really expected the starters either, but saw people expecting it for some reason.

But anyways, Galarian Ponyta is all we got, along with some old pokemon returning.
Can't say i'm dissapointed in this, but i wouldn't want a reveal like this again. It was a fun idea, but 24-hours was too much.

So, are you going to pick a starter not knowing it's evolution or is it the one thing you'll spoil before playing the game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I may be avoiding rumours but as soon as the full dex leaks I’m looking at it, cause I like to plan ahead

My hearts set on sobble I hope his evolutions aren’t ugly

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I may be avoiding rumours but as soon as the full dex leaks I’m looking at it, cause I like to plan ahead

My hearts set on sobble I hope his evolutions aren’t ugly
I was normally the kind of person to do the same, but this time i want to try going in blind. So if there's a huge pokedex leak like in Sun & Moon i'm staying away from the internet till i play through Sword.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was normally the kind of person to do the same, but this time i want to try going in blind. So if there's a huge pokedex leak like in Sun & Moon i'm staying away from the internet till i play through Sword.
I wish you luck with that I don’t think it’ll be easy

Top Bottom