• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Byleth would probably be the better choice if we're looking at moveset, however, if Edelgard is who people want, then that might be who Sakurai would choose. Just depends on when he started the DLC.

Anyway, regarding Zacian and Zamazenta, I still feel like they haven't had a real threat yet. A lot of people are waiting to see more Pokemon before they jump on board the wolf train, but Obstagoon is the closest we've gotten to finding a worthy opponent.

The lack of competition is both relaxing and frustrating. It's relaxing because we can speculate in peace without the countless arguements of "Who's more likely?", but also frustrating because it's harder to gather supporters this way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because she caught on first within the Smash community, mainly. Also because she fights with an axe and there's a stigma against "anime swordfighters" among Western fans that falls apart in practice since Byleth's weapon is actually a whipsword and we've never had that type of weapon in Smash before either.

It's borne from a focus on the characters' identity first and their actual moveset potential only sometimes. Like how some of the people hoping for Grookey's final form, whatever it ends up being, to get in want it for the sake of having a solo Grass starter on the roster. But there's a lot more worth looking at than just surface-level traits! If you are into Edelgard or Grookey, why not delve deeper into the full scope of their abilities and what they could be capable of?
all that didnt stop her from being a terrible character

Most of the support I've seen for her doesn't even stem from moveset, but rather fondness for her character which is really swell
really? but shes the worst

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Byleth would probably be the better choice if we're looking at moveset, however, if Edelgard is who people want, then that might be who Sakurai would choose. Just depends on when he started the DLC.

Anyway, regarding Zacian and Zamazenta, I still feel like they haven't had a real threat yet. A lot of people are waiting to see more Pokemon before they jump on board the wolf train, but Obstagoon is the closest we've gotten to finding a worthy opponent.

The lack of competition is both relaxing and frustrating. It's relaxing because we can speculate in peace without the countless arguements of "Who's more likely?", but also frustrating because it's harder to gather supporters this way.
I AM THE ONE BIT OF COMPETITION

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

Is there really no pokemon from older generations that are highly requested or at least somewhat highly requested?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is there really no pokemon from older generations that are highly requested or at least somewhat highly requested?
I'm sorry, but I just don't see it happening. Sakurai could've done that with Ultimate, but he chose to add someone from Gen VII instead. Seems like there are more reasons to add a newer Pokemon than a old one.

Plus, the popularity of Pokemon is constantly changing. What someone would consider to be popular now isn't the same as what they would've answered two years ago.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai could've done that with Ultimate
Good thing he doesn't have full control over the DLC newcomer selection.
Seems like there are more reasons to add a newer Pokemon than a old one.
What reasons are there other than "it's new"? You'd be working with years of pre-established popularity, which there should be plenty of because this is the biggest media franchise in the world. If this "constantly changing popularity" was that drastic The Pokemon Company wouldn't make tons of merch based on Pokemon that aren't from the first or latest gens.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Good thing he doesn't have full control over the DLC newcomer selection.

What reasons are there other than "it's new"? You'd be working with years of pre-established popularity, which there should be plenty of because this is the biggest media franchise in the world.
If this were a game for Pokemon only, then things would be different. That's not the case though. Sakurai has to juggle dozens of characters and narrow the selection down to a number his team can handle. With most games, he can only add a single Pokemon.

To put it simply, there's just too many Pokemon who could qualify as popular. By going with the most recent Gen, regardless of who he picks, he'll have relevancy to help explain his decision. It's likely far less stressful for Sakurai if he can narrow down his options to a single Gen.

Same thing goes for FE. Unless it's for an Echo, I can't see him ever revisiting old games for characters if there's a new FE game for him to work with.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its the way the pokemon company seems to like things, focus on the current gen and the first one

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
its the way the pokemon company seems to like things, focus on the current gen and the first one
You are correct. However, they still acknowledge other gens in plenty of ways via merchandise. Sakurai should take note of this with a fighter. like a better gen 7 rep cough cough

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You are correct. However, they still acknowledge other gens in plenty of ways via merchandise. Sakurai should take note of this with a fighter. like a better gen 7 rep cough cough
well odds are it tpc who keep telling him to put in a pokemon of the latest gen at which point he is free to put in who ever takes his fancy for what ever reasons he has

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
well odds are it tpc who keep telling him to put in a pokemon of the latest gen at which point he is free to put in who ever takes his fancy for what ever reasons he has
AFAIK, it's Sakurai who restricts himself. If TPC only wanted him to add newcomers from the latest gen I don't think they'd allow Everyone Is Here to be a thing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
AFAIK, it's Sakurai who restricts himself. If TPC only wanted him to add newcomers from the latest gen I don't think they'd allow Everyone Is Here to be a thing.
i never said they restricted all the pokemon i said it applied to new pokemon

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai said TPC is pretty chill despite what everyone says. While I'm sure TPC appreciates newer Pokemon being added over older ones, but I don't think they'd stop Sakurai if he wanted an older Pokemon.

Still, I think it's clear that Sakurai prefers looking at now and the future. Even if he chose an older Pokemon instead for just one Smash game, that would cause a pretty big gap between Gens. Just imagine if Sceptile got added over Incineroar and if we didn't get a Gen VIII Pokemon. That would mean Gens VII-IX wouldn't get anything unless Sakurai revisited them.

I think this way makes more sense. Most of the Gens have a Pokemon representing them, and focusing on the new games helps spread out attention between old and new Gens.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Sakurai said TPC is pretty chill despite what everyone says. While I'm sure TPC appreciates newer Pokemon being added over older ones, but I don't think they'd stop Sakurai if he wanted an older Pokemon.

Still, I think it's clear that Sakurai prefers looking at now and the future. Even if he chose an older Pokemon instead for just one Smash game, that would cause a pretty big gap between Gens. Just imagine if Sceptile got added over Incineroar and if we didn't get a Gen VIII Pokemon. That would mean Gens VII-IX wouldn't get anything unless Sakurai revisited them.

I think this way makes more sense. Most of the Gens have a Pokemon representing them, and focusing on the new games helps spread out attention between old and new Gens.
Whats tpc

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
TPC is pretty chill despite what everyone says
Considering they allowed Incineroar to be a fighter, that is pretty lax.

Jabs at Incineroar aside, "now and the future" isn't necessarily the first and latest gens. For example, he can consider Unova because of the gen being added to Pokemon Go. Plus, "already represented" didn't stop the requests for and addition of Chrom, although it helps that FE fans care more about getting their favorite character in than trying to keep the Smash fanbase salt-free.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Considering they allowed Incineroar to be a fighter, that is pretty lax.

Jabs at Incineroar aside, "now and the future" isn't necessarily the first and latest gens. For example, he can consider Unova because of the gen being added to Pokemon Go. Plus, "already represented" didn't stop the requests for and addition of Chrom.
Unova's relevancy in Pokemon Go is fleeting. Kalos will probably roll around before an alleged Gen V Pokemon would even get revealed. On the other hand, a new Gen lasts 3-4 years, which is a much larger timeframe to work with.

And like I said in my other post, I do think an older Pokemon could get in if they were an Echo. Chrom got in Ultimate because he was incredibly easy to add and required very little work. Otherwise, I don't think he or Lucina would've ever gotten in Smash. Same goes with Pokemon, though Sakurai would have to get very creative to add an Echo of any of the current Pokemon in Smash.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Unova's relevancy in Pokemon Go is fleeting. Kalos will probably roll around before an alleged Gen V Pokemon would even get revealed. On the other hand, a new Gen lasts 3-4 years, which is a much larger timeframe to work with.

And like I said in my other post, I do think an older Pokemon could get in if they were an Echo. Chrom got in Ultimate because he was incredibly easy to add and required very little work. Otherwise, I don't think he or Lucina would've ever gotten in Smash. Same goes with Pokemon, though Sakurai would have to get very creative to add an Echo of any of the current Pokemon in Smash.
Well, certain ones are easy

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, certain ones are easy
In terms of echo fighters, the only possible echoes I see are Pikaclones echoing Pi(ka)chu, Piplup/Oshawott echoing Squirtle although you'd need to make a new down-B and a slightly new side-B that acknowledges how they're not turtles, and Dragonite/Flygon echoing Charizard.

All of which I would still be more interested in than continuing the pattern Greninja started.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
are they? my mistake

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
are they? my mistake
Besides Incineroar being allowed in Smash over Mimikyu/Lycanroc, I think if TPC was more stingy they wouldn't allow Detective Pikachu to feature Bouffalant/Audino over Tauros/Chansey.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In terms of echo fighters, the only possible echoes I see are Pikaclones echoing Pi(ka)chu, Piplup/Oshawott echoing Squirtle although you'd need to make a new down-B and a slightly new side-B that acknowledges how they're not turtles, and Dragonite/Flygon echoing Charizard.

All of which I would still be more interested in than continuing the pattern Greninja started.
Wasn't Lucario the one that started it in Brawl?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wasn't Lucario the one that started it in Brawl?
The pattern I am referring to is Greninja and Incineroar being anthromorphic starters that were added without considering who is popular. Which worked out well for Greninja only.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The pattern I am referring to is Greninja and Incineroar being anthromorphic starters that were added without considering who is popular. Which worked out well for Greninja only.
To be fair, Sakurai did ask Game Freak who they thought would be popular since he didn't have any real data to go off of at the time. He at least tried to add someone popular, and those two Pokemon just so happened to be anthro.

Either way, while anthros will always fit naturally in Smash, that doesn't mean Sakurai isn't willing to consider weird options. Zacian and Zamazenta are specifically themed after fighting, so there's a good possibility four-legged sword and shield wolves would catch his eye.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
while anthros will always fit naturally in Smash, that doesn't mean Sakurai isn't willing to consider weird options
True. If new demographics really are a concern for SSBU's DLC, I think he'd want to go for someone that has as little in common with Greninja/Incineroar as possible.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
sure but i usually just pick one thread say it there and leave it at that, i am quite lazy though
To be fair, most of us are pokemon fans and this type of news barely goes under our radars. Heck, i've stumbled on nintendo direct annoucemets within 2 minutes of being posted on nintendo's twitter, and i barely use twitter.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sirfetch'd is a Sword exclusive, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I was a little bummed when I discovered Kommo-o was in Sword instead of Tyranitar or Goodra, but this combined with Zacian and Bea is giving me more of a reason to feel satisfied with my choice.

Course, I'll have to wait until I see the evolution exclusive to Shield before I can really be confident in that statement, but Sirfetch'd set the bar pretty high.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, most of us are pokemon fans and this type of news barely goes under our radars. Heck, i've stumbled on nintendo direct annoucemets within 2 minutes of being posted on nintendo's twitter, and i barely use twitter.
well yeah, but whats that got to do with what i was saying?

Staarih

Smash Master
Sirfetch’d is cool, Farfetch’d was in desperate need of... something new. Sadly it’s a Sword exclusive and Shield is my go-to version, it better have a regional evo or something of its own as well.

And as is typical for any new Pokémon or Nintendo-related character in general, there’re ”x for Smash” memes all around already. And honestly, I’d even take Sirfetch’d in Smash as long as we don’t settle for another starter again haha.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Mark my words: Regardless of what chances Sirfetch'd will actually have, if it catches on well enough outside the Pokémon fandom then a handful of speculators will assume it's a frontrunner. Which isn't a knock against it, honestly it's a really cool design, but it's worth keeping in mind that a character's actual chances don't necessarily match what hardcore Smash fans think their chances are.

Best to look beyond the boards for a wider scope, you know?

Though it's interesting that we technically have another lance user available now, regardless of the odds. Between Sirfetch'd, Bandana Dee, and Dimitri, there's hope for fans of blades on sticks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sirfetch’d is cool, Farfetch’d was in desperate need of... something new. Sadly it’s a Sword exclusive and Shield is my go-to version, it better have a regional evo or something of its own as well.
its bound to have, version exclusives always have a counterpart

Top Bottom