• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Somewhat off relevant, but Sabi's source (the one that posted that image of a Starling on a roof) is saying it is indeed a hint to something in the future. Nothing to guarantee it being Smash-related, but the two most popular guesses are Geno and Edelgard.

To get to the point, anything that suggests a Three Houses character (while I don't really want one) is tremendous news for us. The argument that SwSh is too late for a character in Smash becomes completely null and void if true.
Even if i don't want to be spoiled again by rumors, at this point Vergeben has been the closest when it comes to telling us who will join the roster around a month or 2 before the reveal of said character, so he's the person we should pay a tad bit attention. The minecraft content could still happen with the Banjo update, so that bit from him hasn't been deconfirmed yet (for all we know it might've been a scrapped idea).

Also, to me there's a big difference between Three Houses and Sword & Shield's release timings, with Fire emblem giving us way more time between it's release and a character's release. For a gen 8 pokemon to be a dlc character it would barely cut it being the final character: from the games launching in november and the character releasing 3 months later (and even then it seems too soon imo). I'd say we have a better chance getting in a second season of dlc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Somewhat off relevant, but Sabi's source (the one that posted that image of a Starling on a roof) is saying it is indeed a hint to something in the future. Nothing to guarantee it being Smash-related, but the two most popular guesses are Geno and Edelgard.

To get to the point, anything that suggests a Three Houses character (while I don't really want one) is tremendous news for us. The argument that SwSh is too late for a character in Smash becomes completely null and void if true.
i dont get why everyone jumping on the edlegard bandwagon shes such a bland character

Even if i don't want to be spoiled again by rumors, at this point Vergeben has been the closest when it comes to telling us who will join the roster around a month or 2 before the reveal of said character, so he's the person we should pay a tad bit attention. The minecraft content could still happen with the Banjo update, so that bit from him hasn't been deconfirmed yet (for all we know it might've been a scrapped idea).

Also, to me there's a big difference between Three Houses and Sword & Shield's release timings, with Fire emblem giving us way more time between it's release and a character's release. For a gen 8 pokemon to be a dlc character it would barely cut it being the final character: from the games launching in november and the character releasing 3 months later (and even then it seems too soon imo). I'd say we have a better chance getting in a second season of dlc.
well the things is is that the dlc line up was finalised some time before joker's reveal and sakurai prefers to make characters from games that are already out (hence no rex or arms in base roster) thus far the only exceptions have been with pokemon

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It is strange that we've gone a few more weeks now with nothing new. But with Worlds coming up on August 16th-18th, they'll reveal something there for sure. The question is whether we'll see anything prior to then.

That's the complicated part. Jumping the gun and starting development on a character whose debut game is still months off would already be a breach of Sakurai's usual process, but even within that, a character from a game 8 months away wouldn't even necessarily open the door for a character whose game was over a year away. It's a sliding scale, not a binary yes/no, if that makes any sense.

well the things is is that the dlc line up was finalised some time before joker's reveal and sakurai prefers to make characters from games that are already out (hence no rex or arms in base roster) thus far the only exceptions have been with pokemon
And even Pokémon is no true exception! As Sakurai explained, Greninja got in because they left a placeholder for a Gen 6 'mon when they figured out Smash 4's base roster early in its development, knowing Gen 6 was going to be out for a while before Smash 4 was. Once they got close to X & Y's release, they weighed their options, made a character concept or two (Sakurai famously pulled an all-nighter to come up with reference poses for Greninja), and ultimately narrowed it down.

That process could not happen with Sword & Shield in this wave because there simply isn't enough time to both wait until the games are nearly out and still have enough time to develop a playable fighter from them. Either they'd have to jump the gun and pray no design changes happened on TPC's end, or it just doesn't line up for this wave and Gen 8 ends up better positioned to be a Season 2 option, so to speak.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And even Pokémon is no true exception! As Sakurai explained, Greninja got in because they left a placeholder for a Gen 6 'mon when they figured out Smash 4's base roster early in its development, knowing Gen 6 was going to be out for a while before Smash 4 was. Once they got close to X & Y's release, they weighed their options, made a character concept or two (Sakurai famously pulled an all-nighter to come up with reference poses for Greninja), and ultimately narrowed it down.

That process could not happen with Sword & Shield in this wave because there simply isn't enough time to both wait until the games are nearly out and still have enough time to develop a playable fighter from them. Either they'd have to jump the gun and pray no design changes happened on TPC's end, or it just doesn't line up for this wave and Gen 8 ends up better positioned to be a Season 2 option, so to speak.
yeah thats what im thinking the generational placeholders seem to be for base rosters it feels something unlikely for a dlc line up

still no harm in imagining what theyd be like in smash

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if i don't want to be spoiled again by rumors, at this point Vergeben has been the closest when it comes to telling us who will join the roster around a month or 2 before the reveal of said character, so he's the person we should pay a tad bit attention. The minecraft content could still happen with the Banjo update, so that bit from him hasn't been deconfirmed yet (for all we know it might've been a scrapped idea)
I'm not sure we can depend on Verge for answers anymore. The only character he was able to predict is Hero, and he had been saying that before Ultimate even released. PP, Joker, and Banjo were off his radar so to speak.

Obviously I'll still listen to what he has to say, but I feel like DLC is a totally different ballgame for him. I'm not expecting him to say much else outside what he's already been saying.

I don't think the release date matters all that much compared to the initial announcement of a game. These games have been public knowledge since E3 2017, but even if they weren't, I can't imagine Sakurai not being able to predict a new pair of Pokemon games coming out.

Regardless of whether or not Three Houses/SwSh came out in July or November, Sakurai would still know about the game, and he still would've been able to look at the game while it was in development. We already know he's looking at future titles to an extent, seeing how Luigi's new Poltergust was revealed to us in a Smash trailer before the actual announcement of his game.

Keep in mind that the Pokemon character wouldn't immediately begin development when work on the DLC began. Sakurai works character by character, and if Three Houses/Gen 8 reps were given placeholders until they were ready to begin working on the characters, pretty much everything would be finalized or close to being finalized by then. Given what we saw in both the FE and Pokemon Directs that came out earlier this year, I think Sakurai could've began working on a character from either game at any point in 2018 without any issues.

I suppose we just see the situation differently. Whether it's base roster or DLC, I don't see why Sakurai wouldn't be able to do a repeat with Greninja. There's only a 3-5 month difference between the two, and I don't think that gap is big enough to write off Gen 8 just yet.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
New Sword/Shield info in a few days, let's see how much wiser we get this time:

I was expecting something this week. Glad to se my intuition was right.

Hopefully the Legendaries will get more focus. We're three months away from SwSh and we don't know anything about them aside from their names and a small little blurb for each of them. Solgaleo and Lunala already had their types and special abilities revealed long before now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For those who haven't heard of it yet, there's an interesting rumor that got the date of the new Pokemon Direct correctly.

It's got some interesting stuff, including Galar forms and two new Eeveelutions.

But what I really wanted to cover was this.

*Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus are the main legendary trio. Zacian is Steel/Fighting and Zamazenta is Steel/Fire. Eternatus is a Dark type and looks like it’s made entirely out of black gas, though it does have form to it.

*Meteodyna is the Legendary Pokemon behind the dynamax phenomenon, and the giant drawn into the hill is based off of it when Gigantamaxed. The smaller Pokemon seen near it’s feet are closer to what it actually looks like. It looks like a baby white dragon, and is Dragon/Normal type.

So what do you think? Makes me even more curious about the story and Zacian/Zamazenta.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
last i checked on the leak there werent any eeveelutions (though i suspected) so ill be avoiding that for now

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
For those who haven't heard of it yet, there's an interesting rumor that got the date of the new Pokemon Direct correctly.

It's got some interesting stuff, including Galar forms and two new Eeveelutions.

But what I really wanted to cover was this.

*Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus are the main legendary trio. Zacian is Steel/Fighting and Zamazenta is Steel/Fire. Eternatus is a Dark type and looks like it’s made entirely out of black gas, though it does have form to it.

*Meteodyna is the Legendary Pokemon behind the dynamax phenomenon, and the giant drawn into the hill is based off of it when Gigantamaxed. The smaller Pokemon seen near it’s feet are closer to what it actually looks like. It looks like a baby white dragon, and is Dragon/Normal type.

So what do you think? Makes me even more curious about the story and Zacian/Zamazenta.
I'm skeptical of that batch of rumors, personally.

Thing is, there're a few things that don't quite add up. I'm not sure I buy Eternitus/Eternatus/however it's actually spelled being the third member of a trio with Zacian and Zamazenta, not unless some kind of shenanigans happened to curse it or the rumor's source misinterpreted what they saw or heard or et cetera. I'm also wary of the idea of the creature depicted on the hillside being someone completely unrelated and being the source of the Dynamax phenomenon--it also puts this at odds with a couple different rumors that suggest Eternitus is the source of Dynamax energy. And the mythic's name feels...not very in line with the series' usual style, to say no less of how it feels like a way for this person to explain why one of the figures in the hill mural looks different from the others.

But the biggest red flag here is actually the other legendary trio. A wooden soldier motif I can buy, but let's take a closer look at the other details. A trio of major characters, two male and one female, who are associated with an axe, a lance, and a bow? Now where have I seen that before?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Everyone watch the new video? Was there anything that stood out to you, like the characters or Pokemon? I thought Obstagoon looked cool. It's the first new Pokemon aside from the Legendaries who I think could actually work in Smash.

Anyway, what do you think the story is behind this statue?

Screenshot_20190807-160247_YouTube.jpg

The hair and the wings on the boots are what really intrigued me. Seem very similar to Zacian.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Everyone watch the new video? Was there anything that stood out to you, like the characters or Pokemon? I thought Obstagoon looked cool. It's the first new Pokemon aside from the Legendaries who I think could actually work in Smash.
Seconded on Obstagoon who's managed to single handedly make me want the game again after all this Dexit disaster. I think he'd actually be pretty fun in Smash from first impressions but I'll wait and see since his fighting style seems to be based on counters and taunting which seems to have a bit of an overlap with Incineroar.

In general I'm really enjoying Sword and Shield's entire parody of the UK.
We've got the posh hoity toity stereotype Pokemon in Weezing's new form
The delightful Punk Rock Pokemon of Obstagoon, Linoone and Zigzagoon's Galar forms
The football/soccer obsessed nature of the UK with all battles taking place in giant stadiums and great emphasis on sponsorship deals
The new villain team are a mash up between punks and football hooligans which couldn't be more perfect for the UK.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Seconded on Obstagoon who's managed to single handedly make me want the game again after all this Dexit disaster. I think he'd actually be pretty fun in Smash from first impressions but I'll wait and see since his fighting style seems to be based on counters and taunting which seems to have a bit of an overlap with Incineroar.

The delightful Punk Rock Pokemon of Obstagoon, Linoone and Zigzagoon's Galar forms
The football/soccer obsessed nature of the UK with all battles taking place in giant stadiums and great emphasis on sponsorship deals
The new villain team are a mash up between punks and football hooligans which couldn't be more perfect for the UK.
Dark/Normal (4x Fighting weakness) with Reckless (increased damage and recoil from those moves) and Guts don't strike me as the bulky type. Maybe noticeably more compared to Linoone but not enough to make it a full strategy.

View attachment 234002

The hair and the wings on the boots are what really intrigued me. Seem very similar to Zacian.
Sword & Shield seem to focus a lot on the human characters, even for a mainline game.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dark/Normal (4x Fighting weakness) with Reckless (increased damage and recoil from those moves) and Guts don't strike me as the bulky type. Maybe noticeably more compared to Linoone but not enough to make it a full strategy.

Sword & Shield seem to focus a lot on the human characters, even for a mainline game.
I was talking personality wise for Smash rather than full competitive Pokemon playing;
"Though Obstagoon is extremely combative, it seems that it doesn't often launch the first attack. It will taunt an opponent, goading it into attacking. When it does, Obstagoon will cross its arms and meet the oncoming attack with its Obstruct move" -Serebii's dex entry on it.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So what are some expectations for sword and shield info next month, since this trailer gave me ''calm before the storm'' vibes.

An easy first expectation is seeing the first evolutions of the starters and maybe even the types of the legendaries (which i'm suprised we don't know them yet, which it could mean they have a story purpose or maybe they want to leave it for some other reason), some new Galar forms and hopefully more evolutions for older pokemon outside of Galar forms.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 234002

im imagining some legendary hero connected to both of them, possibly gave them their powers or was maybe reborn as them

well to be fair its mostly england, though they have hit the nail right on the head

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm really hoping we get a Nessie and red dragon inspired set of legends in the future. I'm sure Scotland, Wales and maybe Ireland are going to get some inspired Mons too.
well some think that lapras was based on the loch ness monster (theres a regional variant in there some where) in fact lapras was originally going to be called ness in english, but yeah id love to see a dragon a unicorn and a lion

i hope we do get some scotish pokemon cause weve got some really odd legends

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So what are some expectations for sword and shield info next month, since this trailer gave me ''calm before the storm'' vibes.

An easy first expectation is seeing the first evolutions of the starters and maybe even the types of the legendaries (which i'm suprised we don't know them yet, which it could mean they have a story purpose or maybe they want to leave it for some other reason), some new Galar forms and hopefully more evolutions for older pokemon outside of Galar forms.
By then, we should at the very least have the middle starter evos and a few more gym leaders. I'd love to learn more about the story, but with the current pace they're going at, I'm not sure if we'll learn much more aside from them briefly covering the Legendaries a second time.

well some think that lapras was based on the loch ness monster (theres a regional variant in there some where) in fact lapras was originally going to be called ness in english, but yeah id love to see a dragon a unicorn and a lion

i hope we do get some scotish pokemon cause weve got some really odd legends
A regional variant for Lapras might be disconfirmed. Since we know the normal version will be in the game, that seems to take a huge bite out of the chances for a Galarian form.

Still, I'd love to be wrong. Maybe an evolution for Lapras?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A regional variant for Lapras might be disconfirmed. Since we know the normal version will be in the game, that seems to take a huge bite out of the chances for a Galarian form.

ah well, still plenty of time for some based on our national cryptid to turn up

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
By then, we should at the very least have the middle starter evos and a few more gym leaders. I'd love to learn more about the story, but with the current pace they're going at, I'm not sure if we'll learn much more aside from them briefly covering the Legendaries a second time.

I believe the rumor that has had 85% of it's info confirmed from May 23 said there would be a Gigantamax form of lapras, so that could still happen. Plus i'd rather get some more Galarian forms of non Kanto pokemon.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So apparently Smashboards just kinda...decided to stop giving me notifications for this thread. Typical, right?

If I had to guess, it might be depicting some ancient hero of legend. Maybe Galar's counterpart to King Arthur? Maybe Zacian and Zamazenta were his companions when he was alive? Or maybe they granted him their power to defeat some evil entity and that was how he became a legendary hero?

Or maybe he's just the mascot for the company whose lobby the player and Marnie commandeered for a meeting. Hard to say yet.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If I had to guess, it might be depicting some ancient hero of legend. Maybe Galar's counterpart to King Arthur? Maybe Zacian and Zamazenta were his companions when he was alive? Or maybe they granted him their power to defeat some evil entity and that was how he became a legendary hero?

Or maybe he's just the mascot for the company whose lobby the player and Marnie commandeered for a meeting. Hard to say yet.
There's a plaque next to the statue, so I'm guessing there's at least a little lore behind it. Seems to tie in too well with the games' theme and the Legendaries for it not to be of importance, but I suppose it really could be a coincidence.

Seeing the sword would've helped us get a better idea. Perhaps instead of Zacian and Zamazenta being his partners, maybe they're the reincarnation of his fighting spirit.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm so out of the loop of Pokémon TCG but apparently they announced the next part for it: Pokémon V, with our bois Zacian and Zamazenta being the first cards shown for it. Was hoping for some cues as to their typing, but still very hush-hush. At least the artwork seems cool. The final bit of the trailer seems to imply Dynamax/Gigantamax cards in TCG, makes me further wonder if Zacian/Zamazenta will have ones of their own.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I'm so out of the loop of Pokémon TCG but apparently they announced the next part for it: Pokémon V, with our bois Zacian and Zamazenta being the first cards shown for it. Was hoping for some cues as to their typing, but still very hush-hush. At least the artwork seems cool. The final bit of the trailer seems to imply Dynamax/Gigantamax cards in TCG, makes me further wonder if Zacian/Zamazenta will have ones of their own.
No its hinting at the pokemon known as giant tcg card.
Also I can't find this thread on the newcomer thread directory

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Well, it's something. I'm eager to learn more about this.

Not sure if they'll end up getting Giganta forms, but I expect them to have some type of special power related to Dynamax. Maybe some type of advantage at the very least?

Also I can't find this thread on the newcomer thread directory
Really? It shows up for me.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, it's something. I'm eager to learn more about this.

Not sure if they'll end up getting Giganta forms, but I expect them to have some type of special power related to Dynamax. Maybe some type of advantage at the very least?
Would be interesting if they were anti-Dynamax in some way. Almost like a Falchion, except effective against titans instead of dragons.

On that note, the new batch of info did deal a heavy blow to one set of rumors going around. There was one batch that, among other things, claimed some of the evolutions from Gen 4 like Electivire, Magmortar, and Rhyperior wouldn't be available in Galar since they were "exclusive" to previous regions. But a recent shot of a status screen had a Rhyperior in it, so...do with that what you will.

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
Sounds like a neat idea! I support.

It seems Smash neglects the option of putting another legendary Pokémon in the series. Stuff like Deoxys, Tapu Koko or Zeraora would've made fine additions, yet were skimmed over for what were usually starter Pokémon.

It'll be fun to piece together a moveset as time goes on and we learn more about the two doggos, so I'll definitely be checking in on this thread frequently.

Although... I am quite concerned that Gen 8 may be tne next generation Smash will skip over, what with its awkward timing. Though, Ultimate is still lacking a Switch rep, surprisingly enough.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Sounds like a neat idea! I support.

It seems Smash neglects the option of putting another legendary Pokémon in the series. Stuff like Deoxys, Tapu Koko or Zeraora would've made fine additions, yet were skimmed over for what were usually starter Pokémon.

It'll be fun to piece together a moveset as time goes on and we learn more about the two doggos, so I'll definitely be checking in on this thread frequently.

Although... I am quite concerned that Gen 8 may be tne next generation Smash will skip over, what with its awkward timing. Though, Ultimate is still lacking a Switch rep, surprisingly enough.
Zeraora and Deoxys are mythicals.

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
Zeraora and Deoxys are mythicals.
Smash considers them to be one in the same, with how you can get mythicals in the Masterball item. Before you mention Goldeen, that one is a gag Pokémon while Zoroark is there to reference the misconception of it being legendary or mythical in the first place. I know what they all identify as in terms of the Pokémon games - I was just speaking of Smash.

Top Bottom