• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The legend who left

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
If you have been with the Smash scene since 2006 you'll know who neo is the greatest Roy player until retirement.You think someone can recreat what neon did in theres year and for the future?

Last edited:

20LC

Smash Cadet
First off: no
Second: 90% sure sethlon took him further
Third: everything that can be done with roy has already been done
Something a lot of people don't actually know is that during Sethlons melee career, he wasn't nearly as good at smash as he was during PM. There were a lot of Roy players who were better than him in Melee, he just ended up playing for the longest and was known as a result.

Sethlons melee roy is definitely fun to watch, but in terms of direct competition to other Roys he isn't exactly triumphant or anything. He became a significantly better player in his transition to PM, as you could tell by his results.

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
I know he was bad, but in his lasting longer than anyone else, he also was able to have a newer more updated roy, in a sense. He even got 49th at genesis 2, which wasn't all that long ago and had all of the top talent of the time

Edit: sorry, it was genesis 1.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are essentially no active Roy players anymore as the meta has pushed out a lot of characters to being quite literally unviable.

I play Roy along with a few other people, but he's not going to be doing well at a large scale tournament any time soon.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Something a lot of people don't actually know is that during Sethlons melee career, he wasn't nearly as good at smash as he was during PM. There were a lot of Roy players who were better than him in Melee, he just ended up playing for the longest and was known as a result.
FIGHT ME

For the three nationals I went straight Roy at (FC:6, Pound 3, Genesis) I placed at approx the 25% mark. No other Roy mains I know of come close to those placings at the time. Ripple and Ninjalink are the only other ones I can think of, and both of them placed below me. NEO and I tied in placing at Pound 3, and he went more Marth than Roy afaik.

In my prime, I'm confident that I was the best Roy for that period, pretty much hands down. I didn't have any massive victories, but I had small ones like taking games / sets off of players like Mango / Forward / Eggz / Hugs / Caveman / other texan heavy hitters, and no Roys that I know of HAVE had major victories, aside from NEO's old glory days.

It debatable whether or not other Roys were better in their prime than I was in mine (NEO is a goddamn legend, Umbreon apparently had a lot of success in his time), but its pretty difficult to compare head to head when we had our prime in different time periods, with different tech and a different overall metagame.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
FIGHT ME

For the three nationals I went straight Roy at (FC:6, Pound 3, Genesis) I placed at approx the 25% mark. No other Roy mains I know of come close to those placings at the time. Ripple and Ninjalink are the only other ones I can think of, and both of them placed below me. NEO and I tied in placing at Pound 3, and he went more Marth than Roy afaik.

In my prime, I'm confident that I was the best Roy for that period, pretty much hands down. I didn't have any massive victories, but I had small ones like taking games / sets off of players like Mango / Forward / Eggz / Hugs / Caveman / other texan heavy hitters, and no Roys that I know of HAVE had major victories, aside from NEO's old glory days.

It debatable whether or not other Roys were better in their prime than I was in mine (NEO is a goddamn legend, Umbreon apparently had a lot of success in his time), but its pretty difficult to compare head to head when we had our prime in different time periods, with different tech and a different overall metagame.

Hey there Sethlon! I'm a fan, i like playing roy in PM from 3.02 to current. I'm no roy main, but i enjoy him generally as a character.

My question to you is why do/did you play Roy, and what reasons did you enjoy him?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Idk about you guys but I'm gonna win Pound 6

edit:

One thing about NEO... look at his old sets, he had wayyyyyyyyyy more tech skill than his opponents. I honestly think his movement was years beyond the meta. This + good fundamentals made his character choice completely irrelevant and people eventually caught up.

Last edited:

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
Neo was the best of his era, but Sethlon has taken Roy much further as the game evolved. But watching Neo vods is amazing

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I can see a new Roy player using his tools and winning plenty of locals, other than that I am not sure he will ever do as good as the top 8.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
everything that can be done with roy has already been done
Considering that new things are being learned about Fox, Falco, Jiggs, Falcon, and all the other top tier characters in the game, every single day at every tournament, I'm gonna call bull**** on that one. New tech is discovered all the time, but somehow you're dead certain that we have perfect knowledge of one character--who is never used by anyone--and that his maximum potential has somehow been realized. Okay.

It's this mentality that makes Roy's meta so stagnant. People are far too concerned about winning and being the best, when they should be in the lab with their character. Maybe if you started actually trying to get good and learn some **** instead of limiting yourself by saying, "Oh, this is all my character is capable of doing," Roy might actually be a somewhat of a threat. But no, you take the defeatist route instead.

Toxic mentality. Drop it.

Last edited:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
PS I didn't win Pound 2016.

got 97th / only won 1 set Day 2. Had to go DK to beat Dr. Z / Sheridan cause **** Jigglypuff.

All rando Fox players got the phire doe.

Last edited:

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Considering that new things are being learned about Fox, Falco, Jiggs, Falcon, and all the other top tier characters in the game, every single day at every tournament, I'm gonna call bull**** on that one. New tech is discovered all the time, but somehow you're dead certain that we have perfect knowledge of one character--who is never used by anyone--and that his maximum potential has somehow been realized. Okay.

It's this mentality that makes Roy's meta so stagnant. People are far too concerned about winning and being the best, when they should be in the lab with their character. Maybe if you started actually trying to get good and learn some **** instead of limiting yourself by saying, "Oh, this is all my character is capable of doing," Roy might actually be a somewhat of a threat. But no, you take the defeatist route instead.

Toxic mentality. Drop it.
*thumbs up*

The fun of Roy is hardly anyone uses him seriously, so the few who do good can stand out. I main Roy online, although I haven't played in months. What I learned was that Roy is kinda sucky, but his strength is that he gets underestimated. I've played people online, and it's funny to me how many hard reads you can get people with like with up smash.

Like what was said above, for someone to get great with Roy, you have to be willing to get beat down. When you let go and just play to learn instead of playing safe with just DED and dtilt, you gain more options and have more fun. But it's easier to pick up high tier characters because there's more established. Roy players are like Dodo birds, so you really have to invent Roy on your own. I mean, you should make any character your own, but definantly get comfortable with Roy. Thats just my two cents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom