• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Discussion

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
I didn't see any threads before, so I thought, why not?
A dark force, shrouded in twilight, has invaded the vast land of Hyrule.
To restore light to the world, team up with the mysterious creature Midna and embrace the darkness to transform into a divine wolf. Fight through labyrinthine dungeons, survive puzzling traps, and meet a cast of characters you’ll never forget in this legendary Zelda™ adventure.
The Legend of Zelda™: Twilight Princess is a critically acclaimed masterpiece, set in a massive world bursting with life—but also shadow. A dark figure from the Twilight Realm has invaded the world of light. As Link™, a farmhand turned cursed beast, you'll join forces with the impish Midna, the Hyrule Resistance, and trusted (albeit unusual) allies to survive a quest that will take you to the farthest corners of Hyrule and beyond… to the Twilight Realm. This epic, emotional adventure is now on the Wii U™ console.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD is the best way to experience this critically acclaimed game
  • Explore a vast Hyrule, a mysterious Twilight Realm, and masterfully-designed dungeons
  • Restore balance to the world with the aid of the impish Midna and your divine wolf powers
  • Transform into a divine wolf to solve puzzles with your 6th sense and battle creatures corrupted by the twilight
  • Meet a cast of friendly folk and interesting characters, like the entrepreneurial baby Malo and even a yeti couple
  • Nab the exclusive Wolf Link amiibo and carry data over to the upcoming Legend of Zelda game for Wii U, launching in 2016
Out in NA, EU And Japan!!
  • New box-art for NA, similar (to original) box-art in other regions
  • Graphics reworking done by Tantalus, an Australian developer previously known for games such as The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius – Attack of the Twonkies and Zombi
  • Bloom lighting is lowered--all textures seem to be being converted to HD
  • Some textures are being changed entirely (stone Triforce in Sacred Grove, Hyrule Field grass)
  • Load times in Castle Town significantly reduced
  • Polygons ARE being slightly smoothed out (the Malo Mart doorway, for example)
  • Normal Mode uses the GCN orientation (Link is left-handed)
  • GamePad controls (Link): - B- sword, A- action, X- item, Y- item, R- item, L- Midna, Up Dpad- Map, Down Dpad- Collection (items?), Right Dpad- Minimap
  • GamePad controls (Wolf Link): B- Bite, Y- Dig, X- Sense
  • Map is in bottom left of screen--more transparent, less intrusive on screen
  • HUD is overall less cluttered and less intrusive
  • Small, Big, Giant Wallet hold 500, 1000, 2000 Rupees respectively
  • Only need to collect 12 Tears of Light for each province
  • THERE'S A NEW GHOST LANTERN ITEM- can search locations of Poes during daytime
  • Transform between Link-Wolf Link via GamePad screen
  • Gyro controls
  • Right analog stick for free camera control!
  • 50 Miiverse stamps scattered across Hyrule...yay
  • GamePad displays Link's inventory, drag and drop, akin to WWHD
  • Hero Mode available from the start, enemies deal double damage, mirrored world like Wii version, no recovery hearts in-game
  • Wolf Link amiibo allows you to play "Cave of Shadows," Cave of Ordeals style in Wolf form only...beating this upgrades the Giant Wallet to the Colossal Wallet, holding 9,999 Rupees
  • WL amiibo also starts save file from title screen, and can recover hearts in CoS
  • Link/Toon Link replenish arrows, Zelda/Sheik replenish hearts (once per day)
  • Ganondorf makes enemies hit twice as hard, changes red hearts to blue (multiple times per day)
  • Wolf Link is the only amiibo that can transfer data to Zelda Wii U...
  • Rupees no longer returned to chest if wallet is full
  • No reminders of Rupee value in the same game file again.
  • Zelda U easter egg in Chudley's!
  • Swimming and riding Epona improved
  • Only have to fish once in the opening
  • Map shows location of Horse Grasses, sidequests, and number of Poes per province
Review Scores
Metacritic: 85/100
IGN: 8.6/10
GameSpot: 9/10
Polygon: 8/10
Nintendo Everything: Thumbs Up
Nintendo Life: 9/10
GamesBeat: 90/100
GameReactor: 9/10
GameXplain: Meh
Nintendo World Report: 9/10
Shacknews: 7/10
Destructoid: 8/10
GamesRadar: 4/5

:4link:Discussion may proceed!:4link:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Having a second quest mode would be a nice addition to Twilight Princess HD, since the original GameCube version (and Wii version) never had that feature at all. The second quest would be more difficult in that the enemies, mid-bosses, and bosses are stronger, being able to take more hits than normal. Also, the Golden Wolf locations would be different (except for the very first encounter).

To add to the challenge, some of the rare enemies would become more common to encounter, but they won't start appearing until you've collected the proper items or skills to combat them. For two examples, you won't encounter any Darknuts until you're at a point where you can learn the Back Slice, and you won't encounter any Aeralfos' until you've acquired the Clawshot. However, some mid-bosses will still be one of a kind, such as the Deku Toad, Death Sword, and Darkhammer.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Having a second quest mode would be a nice addition to Twilight Princess HD, since the original GameCube version (and Wii version) never had that feature at all. The second quest would be more difficult in that the enemies, mid-bosses, and bosses are stronger, being able to take more hits than normal. Also, the Golden Wolf locations would be different (except for the very first encounter).

To add to the challenge, some of the rare enemies would become more common to encounter, but they won't start appearing until you've collected the proper items or skills to combat them. For two examples, you won't encounter any Darknuts until you're at a point where you can learn the Back Slice, and you won't encounter any Aeralfos' until you've acquired the Clawshot. However, some mid-bosses will still be one of a kind, such as the Deku Toad, Death Sword, and Darkhammer.
I think there actually is a Hero Mode (it was leaked on the Amazon.fr page that mysteriously got taken down...) but as far as we know, nothing's changed besides double damage and no hearts during gameplay...hopefully everything is more along what you suggested, because it sounds pretty sweet.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think there actually is a Hero Mode (it was leaked on the Amazon.fr page that mysteriously got taken down...) but as far as we know, nothing's changed besides double damage and no hearts during gameplay...hopefully everything is more along what you suggested, because it sounds pretty sweet.
Yeah it's mostly a suggestion, considering how rare the Darknut, Helmasaurus, and Aeralfos are in the main game. If the second quest implemented stronger enemies, they could make more common appearances, such as at the Lakebed Temple and Arbiter's Grounds.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Yeah it's mostly a suggestion, considering how rare the Darknut, Helmasaurus, and Aeralfos are in the main game. If the second quest implemented stronger enemies, they could make more common appearances, such as at the Lakebed Temple and Arbiter's Grounds.
It's a good suggestion, though! I think it'd be even better if these enemies appeared in Hyrule Field even--imagine Darknuts riding armored horses/boars in Link's way!
sigh
probably won't happen though
I'd say the most we can hope for is the Hero Mode that that leak talked about...sigh

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
For anyone who IS following this thread, Aonuma posted on the official Zelda Twitter page that news about TPHD will be coming quite regularly https://twitter.com/ZeldaOfficialJP
There's also rumors of a Direct coming this week, if not this week, then maybe next week or a Zelda 30th anniversary Direct that comes in February...
What do you predict?

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
"Twilight Cave" had better have a new boss or at least some new enemies, and no recycled areas. It's going to be almost completely redundant if it's just a Twilit variation on the Cave of Ordeals. But this sounds unlikely if the porting work is being farmed out to a shovelware dev.

I'll be impressed if using the Ganondorf amiibo in Hero Mode makes enemies deal quadruple damage.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
"Twilight Cave" had better have a new boss or at least some new enemies, and no recycled areas. It's going to be almost completely redundant if it's just a Twilit variation on the Cave of Ordeals.
...seems that way :/. Makes me wonder, then, where it's going to be in the game, whether it'll be an option when heading into the Cave of Ordeals (like a sub-menu) or if it'll be in the Twilight Realm, a little ways from the Palace of Twilight...
or if it'll be anywhere, I guess.
Quadruple damage? That'd be like Daredevil Comet Twilight Princess Edition...seems kinda fun, actually!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Depends on your definition of fun though. It would prove to be a challenge, especially if the HD version keeps track of your Game Over amounts.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Looking forward to getting the HD remake of this first Zelda game I've played. Hoping it has Hero Mode and all that.

Last edited:

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Looking forward to getting the HD remake of this first Zelda game I've played. Hoping it has Hero Mode and all that.
It was the first one I played too! Back in October 2012...before then I thought Zelda was stupid xD
I think it does have Hero Mode--the Famitsu magazine may have stated that. There's also the Ganondorf amiibo, which I think is an interesting challenge.
Hmm...not sure if they've said anything about new info yet (besides the story trailer) but the OP is usually regularly being updated with new things...if I missed anything let me know!
EDIT: you're in luck...there is a Hero Mode :)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What does the new lantern do exactly?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What does the new lantern do exactly?
The primary post states that the new lantern is used to find Poes whenever it's daytime. In the original version of Twilight Princess, Poes only appeared at night, or at areas that don't experience any day and night changes.

drew1212

Smash Rookie
Your profile pic is HILARIOUS
Rosalina:
Cloud, MY EYES ARE UP HERE.
Cloud:
O_O ...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's been too long since I played Twilight Princess! Feels good to not only play it again but to play it in a new light...

I have to say that it is pretty damn convenient to be able to switch items on the fly instead of stopping what your doing to paue the game first...
The menus looks so damn clean and the world looks so crisp...
(unfortunately the bosses are just as easy as I remembered)

Tried a bit of the Cave of Shadows as soon as I was able, but it seems it's still rather early for that as I was only able to do four levels, so I'll give it a bit before trying it out again...speaking of the Wolf Link Amiibo looks so damn awesome, I love it!

Last edited:

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
It's been too long since I played Twilight Princess! Feels good to not only play it again but to play it in a new light...

I have to say that it is pretty damn convenient to be able to switch items on the fly instead of stopping what your doing to paue the game first...
The menus looks so damn clean and the world looks so crisp...
(unfortunately the bosses are just as easy as I remembered)

Tried a bit of the Cave of Shadows as soon as I was able, but it seems it's still rather early for that as I was only able to do four levels, so I'll give it a bit before trying it out again...speaking of the Wolf Link Amiibo looks so damn awesome, I love it!
I finally got the game on Tuesday!
It looks a lot better in person than I expected it to. I still don't think the graphics, nor the framerate are as good as they should be, but it's SO MUCH BETTER than the original.
Slight complaint about the menus--the fact when you're switching items, you don't see on the TV which item is going where--this was different in WWHD. There's also no save option on the item screen, probably because it's all grouped into Collection on the Down D-pad.
But these are the slightest of complaints. Twilight Princess HD is still really freaking great.

P.S. Didn't expect the GCN orientation to be THAT confusing and it's throwing me off so so much :p

D

Deleted member

Twilight Princess was the first and only Zelda game I ever played I rode Epona in circles and failed miserably but boy was it a blast Twilight Princess HD hope y'all are enjoying it.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Twilight Princess was the first and only Zelda game I ever played I rode Epona in circles and failed miserably but boy was it a blast Twilight Princess HD hope y'all are enjoying it.
well i'm currently also riding Epona around in circles because they seem to have done something--something god awful--to the horseback controls.
so if you want an even better experience failing at horse circling I highly suggest this game for your purchase
:/

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Recently cleared the Snowpeak Ruins...it seemed...shorter than I remember, like there's a couple rooms that are missing...
Anyone else notice this after playing through this dungeon? From what I can tell none of the other dungeons I played haven't had any changes...

although the full dungeon may be available in Master Quest...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Recently cleared the Snowpeak Ruins...it seemed...shorter than I remember, like there's a couple rooms that are missing...
Anyone else notice this after playing through this dungeon? From what I can tell none of the other dungeons I played haven't had any changes...

although the full dungeon may be available in Master Quest...
To be fair.

I felt the same way when I replayed normal TP.

It's a dungeon that feels really long the first time you play it.

That damn block puzzle.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
To be fair.

I felt the same way when I replayed normal TP.

It's a dungeon that feels really long the first time you play it.

That damn block puzzle.
I actually enjoy the ice puzzles...its a nice little challenge...I especially enjoyed the side dungeon that has like four ice puzzles, just need to give it a minute to think before throwing the blocks out randomly...

Thing is I replayed the original TP more times than I can count...but unless my memory fails me or this particular area I'm thinking of is actually an optional area in the dungeon and I just bypassed it due to knowing what to do...I feel like it was made to be shorter...

The room I'm speaking of is a large sized room with a canon (features a little tutorial on the wall right next to the canon) at the end...its kinda like a mini-maze with ice floors and mini-freezards that serves as obstacles...once you get to the end you can use the canon to blow though a bunch of ice and progress to the next room...I literally do not remember even going through this room in HD...

This is a pretty tedious dungeon though especially upon your first playthrough because of the deceptively simple layout...

AverageWriter

Smash Rookie
I actually enjoy the ice puzzles...its a nice little challenge...I especially enjoyed the side dungeon that has like four ice puzzles, just need to give it a minute to think before throwing the blocks out randomly...

Thing is I replayed the original TP more times than I can count...but unless my memory fails me or this particular area I'm thinking of is actually an optional area in the dungeon and I just bypassed it due to knowing what to do...I feel like it was made to be shorter...

The room I'm speaking of is a large sized room with a canon (features a little tutorial on the wall right next to the canon) at the end...its kinda like a mini-maze with ice floors and mini-freezards that serves as obstacles...once you get to the end you can use the canon to blow though a bunch of ice and progress to the next room...I literally do not remember even going through this room in HD...

This is a pretty tedious dungeon though especially upon your first playthrough because of the deceptively simple layout...

I just finished Snowpeak yesterday. That room is absolutely in there.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I just finished Snowpeak yesterday. That room is absolutely in there.
Well I probably just completely bypassed it then, because I literally don't remember actually doing it (I guess this is what happens when I've played the original so much I know where I need to go so I don't feel the need to explore as much)...lol

Welcome to Smashboards btw...

Last edited:

AverageWriter

Smash Rookie
Well I probably just completely bypassed it then, because I literally don't remember actually doing it (I guess this is what happens when I've played the original so much I know where I need to go so I don't feel the need to explore as much)...lol

Welcome to Smashboards btw...
Thanks for the welcome.

I guess that long room could be missed if you were totally familiar with the layout. I hadn't touched Twilight Princess since the Gamecube days, so I ended up aimlessly wandering through a large portion of Snowpeak.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I got all excited by the Wolf Link amiibo and forgot that I didn't actually like most of Twilight Princess the first time around. I think it's got easily some of the best boss fights in the entire series but the giant dungeons and endless traversing of Hyrule Field don't do much for me. Also, after just finishing the Lakebed Temple this morning I've realised that I like Spirit Tracks so much specifically because there's no underwater nonsense in it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I've been playing Twilight Princess HD the last couple weeks and I just cleared the city in the sky.

One of my complaints is that I can't seem to use the control stick to select items or even press buttons to assign items to buttons. I have to use the touch screen to do so.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think it's got easily some of the best boss fights in the entire series...
Really? Because I thought most of them sucked. Giant Piranha Plant guy was good, but then the Goron guy was a complete joke and Morpheel wasn't interesting at all. Stallord's first phase was fun though mini-game-y, second was boring as heck. Yeta and Gohma the 64th were okay but nothing special, and Agorok is basically a giant cutscene. Zant's great, though every phase of Dorf's was meh for one reason or another.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
A curious question to ask y'all.

Has any of you actually took your lantern out while inside Barnes' Bomb Shop in Kakariko Village?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A curious question to ask y'all.

Has any of you actually took your lantern out while inside Barnes' Bomb Shop in Kakariko Village?
Yes...

He slams his fist on the counter and you get doused in water...nothing special but still a fun little easter egg

Top Bottom