• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Group Project of Destiny- No longer active

etecoon

Smash Hero
Well, if he's actually just "some random monster in the rail station", then that changes a lot of things. I figured that the monster would have some important purpose in the story given how powerful he is, you know? You would figure that the antagonist would have something to do with an enemy that strong running loose in a rail station, instead of him acting on his own free will.
We haven't fleshed out an antagonist at all, what if he isn't the kind that has mind control and such?

But even if he's not a part of the story, would it make sense to end the game with a monster that powerful still hanging around in the rail station, after peace has been restored to the land? Couldn't Link defeat it for the sake of everybody else that wants to use the rail system? I know he's not supposed to be evil, but he is dangerous.
We have no idea what the ending will be like either...

There are a lot of dangerous things in the world, most stories don't conclude with every dangerous thing ever being eliminated.

It would also make sense to defeat it so we can accomplish that whole "measuring growth in strength" concept that I read about earlier. No point in measuring growth if you're never going to get to the point of surpassing the person you're comparing yourself to, unless you want to end the game knowing that the protagonist was always inferior. It doesn't have to be at the end of the game either, the event could be shaped into any part of the adventure.
This is probably my biggest problem with it, this is a stock plot element, the antagonist that is SO far above you at the start BUT YOU GRADUALLY GET STRONGER AND BEAT THEM IN THE END. The Boss vs Naked Snake, Cloud vs Sephiroth, X vs Vile, Samus vs SA-X, a million games have explored this idea. It's a good concept which is why it is used so frequently, but it'd be nice to do something different with that kind of enemy

Spire

III
BRoomer
An enemy that can never be defeated is rarely found in games. Games typically instill you with the ability to overcome and acquire everything. Imagine if Dead Hand was unsurpassable in OoT, but the Lens of Truth and Hover Boots could still be attained. That would make the foe even more horrifying.

Or what if Wallmasters couldn't be defeated. **** would be so cash.

Orboknown

Smash Hero

Well, if he's actually just "some random monster in the rail station", then that changes a lot of things. I figured that the monster would have some important purpose in the story given how powerful he is, you know? You would figure that the antagonist would have something to do with an enemy that strong running loose in a rail station, instead of him acting on his own free will.

But even if he's not a part of the story, would it make sense to end the game with a monster that powerful still hanging around in the rail station, after peace has been restored to the land? Couldn't Link defeat it for the sake of everybody else that wants to use the rail system? I know he's not supposed to be evil, but he is dangerous.

It would also make sense to defeat it so we can accomplish that whole "measuring growth in strength" concept that I read about earlier. No point in measuring growth if you're never going to get to the point of surpassing the person you're comparing yourself to, unless you want to end the game knowing that the protagonist was always inferior. It doesn't have to be at the end of the game either, the event could be shaped into any part of the adventure.
The monster should have absolutely nothing to do with the antagonist. The game doesn't end with this monster, it's just a constant threat that never ends throughout the course of the game.
Thats possible, and I think I like this unbeatable "monster"(does it necessarily need to be a monster?) just never going away. That said, why does it need to be an evil? Couldn't be a defender of something placed there by the Gods who cannot be defeated by mortal man? And then at the end, if Link gets something from said Gods he would be allowed to pass the "monster" and that kicks off some new legend of Hyrule?
Spire said:
Maybe the monster can be defeated in a game+ mode?
That would be a VERY interesting fight.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Why would it be VERY interesting? Can you give some further insight beyond positive acknowledgement? Any ideas as to how it could go about? I want to know what's going on in your head when you respond in such trite ways. Obviously you have some idea as to why it'd be interesting, so please share your ideas. None of us know what the fight would be like because we don't know the foe, setting, or circumstances.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Personally I think we should just come back to this later when we have more of the game as a whole fleshed out. Whether this thing is undefeatable or not it has to fit within the greater design philosophy which we haven't really created yet

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Why would it be VERY interesting? Can you give some further insight beyond positive acknowledgement? Any ideas as to how it could go about? I want to know what's going on in your head when you respond in such trite ways. Obviously you have some idea as to why it'd be interesting, so please share your ideas. None of us know what the fight would be like because we don't know the foe, setting, or circumstances.
an (nearly)unbeatable monster. with an acrobatic as all hell Link, with whatever items and gadgets we cook up to give him. Seems like something we could do a lot with.

Spire

III
BRoomer
an (nearly)unbeatable monster. with an acrobatic as all hell Link, with whatever items and gadgets we cook up to give him. Seems like something we could do a lot with.
This is the type of vacuous response I was trying to steer you away from giving. Aren't you seeing this unfurl in some way? If it's VERY interesting, don't you see something interesting playing out in your head? Are you imagining anything?

Etecoon is right though, we can come back to this later. Orboknown, I would like to see you contribute more invention to the project beyond tacked on support.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The monster should have absolutely nothing to do with the antagonist. The game doesn't end with this monster, it's just a constant threat that never ends throughout the course of the game.

Maybe the monster can be defeated in a game+ mode?
So you don't want to defeat it all? I can understand making it this big bad monster that's supposed to over power and instill fear in the player, but if we're not defeating it then why is it there? I could however, understand if you want to have a way of avoiding it.

I was thinking this could be an enemy you have to get past in order to advance, but when you try to, you die. Later on with a new item you are able to not 'kill' but in fact get past it. Maybe lull it to sleep, maybe sneak past it with some kind of item and perhaps get on to the rail system(after which it could chase you for the sake of anxiety). At the end it could break the rail but you get into a place of which it can't follow and while you still hear it in the dark, behind you is the entrance to the second lass dungeon maybe?

Also, not sure if anyone has said this yet, but personally I think less is more in this situation. I don't want to see much of this creature, the first time I don't want to see anything besides it's eyes and maybe a claw coming at you before you run away.
Opinion?

Edit: Also, maybe in the dungeon you can see babies of the creature to get an idea of what it looks like. Just spit balling here, I like the idea of it being a dungeon road block but maybe you don't want it to guard a dungeon.

etecoon

Smash Hero
if we're not defeating it then why is it there?
One potential reason would be, as I said before, to re-enforce the notion that humans are now the weaker species, there are some animals that will just overpower you no matter what gear you acquire. It plays into the idea of a world more like it was before the end of the last glacial period when humans began to take on the role we have now atop the food chain, this is actually an anomaly, we've spent most of our time as a species running from things like this

Fun fact that most people are unaware of, while our top speed is not impressive, humans are amongst the only animals on the planet capable of running long distances. It means very little to our survival today but this trait has been very important to us. The surface is now a wilderness, it doesn't offer the protection that a civilized kingdom of Hyrule would

I think this is also most fitting for an agile acrobatic Link, this isn't the Link that stands right next to an enemy and just blocks everything with an infallible shield like a tank, enemies being extremely dangerous in close quarters emphasizes that gameplay element of evasion

Spire

III
BRoomer
I enjoy the idea of lulling the monster to sleep, but I love it being an ever-present threat. You don't always run into it of course. I'd rather this not be an obstacle that blocks any certain progressional element; imagine if it just wanders around these tunnels. It can just.. appear and when it does, it chases you. The music changes and you find yourself tearing down the tunnels in scope of an escape route. I'm going to draw some sketches of the monster soon.

It seems we should focus on other elements, but this is coming up for a reason. Perhaps by fleshing out this idea, we'll stumble onto the leading veins we need.

And YES to the post above. Link is no longer shielding, he's evading. He's agile, using the environment for all its worth. Link's vertical navigation is being heavily emphasized in this game. We are essentially merging the explorative aspects of puzzle-solving into combat, but don't assume it will be slow and meditated. Link's offensive is in sword and hookshot, his defensive in evasion. Let's imagine encountering a Lizalfos. It swings its weapon at you from the left, so you roll to the right and press A when it flashes (similar to Wind Waker's action), launching Link out of the roll onto a ledge further to the right. You are able to quickly climb up (smoother acrobatic animations) then atop the ledge another "A" appears and if hit on time, Link will do a back flip over the Lizalfos, confusing the foe and giving you absolute advantage for a few moments. Link can also swing his cloak, briefly stunning enemies (similar to Batman's ability in Arkham Asylum/City).

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
If Link gets more mobility along walls, it may be interesting to give some parts of walls/cliffsides weaker sections that will crumble randomly (or maybe not randomly...maybe there's a visual cue, or the longer you stay in a given area the greater the chance it will crumble, etc).

Also, as to the monster: If the project is still using the middle-east feel, and if we're talking an underground railroad, I would suggest that the monster be some kind of giant snake/cobra or something along those lines. Though, that may be too cliche.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think we ever really specified a middle east feel aside from the central area of hyrule being more desert like, but I'm open to anything like that, I never really thought about exactly what the monster may be, just "hey what if there's this beast that will **** your **** up and it has no plot relevance?"

Another idea I've been kicking around but keep forgetting to post, what if the potion shop is based primarily on fungus that you find in Maro Woods?

I've presumed this is a good idea and named the potion shop theme maro tea

[link removed]

I'll have to try again, I have something else I can use this for at least...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Maro Tea, heh. Not feeling this one nearly as much as your past pieces. It's too dissonant. It's like placing the Astral Observatory theme in the Kakariko Potion Shop. The OoT theme is just too damn good. I can hear the inspiration, but it doesn't deliver nearly as much as past potion shop themes. Skyward Sword's was fantastic and TP's Fortune Telling theme was just really awesome. I'm listening to it right now and awwwoohhhhhmaaaan. Such hollow containment; an urn with a spirit inside... ahhh yess.

Add some bone chimes.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Maro Tea, heh. Not feeling this one nearly as much as your past pieces. It's too dissonant. It's like placing the Astral Observatory theme in the Kakariko Potion Shop. The OoT theme is just too damn good. I can hear the inspiration, but it doesn't deliver nearly as much as past potion shop themes. Skyward Sword's was fantastic and TP's Fortune Telling theme was just really awesome. I'm listening to it right now and awwwoohhhhhmaaaan. Such hollow containment; an urn with a spirit inside... ahhh yess.

Add some bone chimes.
hmm, I can try something closer to those themes. That actually started as an attempt at Maro Woods but like everything else I've tried connected to that place I didn't think it fit so I started turning it into a potion shop theme. I think other than being a little over the top with dissonance it was lacking the world percussion that could give it more of a foreign market feel, the beatbox is strange but not in the right way

I hope I can find samples of something like bone chimes, I wonder what they think when someone comes into wal mart at 2am buying a microphone and chicken?

[collapse="stuff"]Since apparently, people want to move on with the topic of the unbeatable boss, I'll just throw this in a collapse tag.

So we want the monster to be an ever constant threat, something that we don't want to/cannot fight, and something that's extremely frightening. We also have the idea that we don't want it to be attached to the antagonist, and that we want to show that humans aren't the strongest race.

Although the idea was originally for the rail station, I'm going to flesh this idea out as if it is going to hang around in Hyrule Field.

The idea would be to incorporate a lot of stealth into this encounter. We had the idea that this thing was going to simply mind it's own business, until it sees you and decides, "I want to eat you", so this is exactly what we should be going for. This type of encounter also matches our redesigned Link, since he's sort of a ninja. Imagine just walking around Hyrule Field, then all of a sudden the beast spots you from a distance, or some other creature spots you and makes a noise, and because of that, the beast goes raging at you full force, attacking relentlessly because it's hungry Link would naturally want to run away, which is what we wanted, but the fact that you have to sneak past it adds that adrenaline rush to the encounter, similar to the guards in any Metal Gear Solid game. They're a constant threat, you fear getting caught because they'll put an army up against you, and the act of sneaking past them is nail-biting.

I showed concerns earlier because of how I didn't like the aspect of never being able to defeat the monster. I think that instead of the boss being impossible to defeat, or only defeated during a game+ mode, the boss should simply be optional to beat (with the trade-off that it's so difficult and time consuming, it might as well be impossible). I remember in level 3 of Lost Planet 1, you had to run across this long snowy field, but hanging around that snowy field was a huge snake monster that was really difficult to kill. There were a lot weakpoints that were at awkward angles, and killing the whole thing took like 30+ minutes. Perhaps something like that could be recreated in Zelda form.

The monster in the rail station doesn't have to be fought, but if our redesigned Link is feeling extra courageous, he could opt to engage the monster in a stupidly long battle. Put in the optional 30+ minutes into actually slaying the thing, and perhaps a new area can open up, filled with rupees and power-ups and all those Zelda goodies. Maybe even an achievement, I dunno, something. [/collapse]

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Combat should be placement and environment based. Enemies should be hard. You should want to run away from an enemy until you're close to a small forest, where you can use the trees. Dodge an attack downward, and he struck his sword, stuck in the tree.

One of the most intimidating things about games is a random factor. Especially with regards to a big monster RANDOMLY spawning places. What if this guy has his own underground territory that is probably a hella lot larger than the Sheikah territory or at least secluded.

Oh, right, other subjects.

I think a good focus for now is to draw a representation of the overworld. Simple and easy.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think that instead of the boss being impossible to defeat, or only defeated during a game+ mode, the boss should simply be optional to beat
I think the hangup people have with this idea is that you're thinking of it as a boss. It's not in a special room, it's not in a 'dungeon', it's not guarding a special item, it's not in any way connected to the mystery of Eldin Caldera. It's just the alpha animal of one particular area that is looking at you like a free meal.

As for a simple map, little update to the one I posted before, now with awful tablet writing!

another attempt at a potion shop, the percussion for both of the songs spire referenced was exposed so I decided to have some fun with that, tabla being played through a guitar amp...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ntgalsg5sl7feoz

I didn't want people downloading a ton of incomplete work but I'd rather not keep flooding my SC with works in progress either, oh well

Spire

III
BRoomer
YES, now that Potion Shop works! Oh man, this is exponentially better than the last; totally immersive. Those bone chimes... my gosh :bee:

It has a different tempo than past potion shop themes while retaining the core value in the worldly instruments. This tempo is inspiring the potion maker. Not just some old witch; this is gonna be different. Eeesh this is exciting!

I just need to reserve some time to start illustrating parts of the world (nice map layout btw) so we can further immerse ourselves. I'm very keen on Labyri Canyon cutting through Hyrule. It bisects the land into eastern and western halves, which further plays on the whole duality of worlds. We'll see how the map further develops with time.

Great contributions today mang.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I agree with that map, but I think that there should be more openings to go underground. Possibly hidden/unlockable ones. I think that above the city there should be a (big) circular hole, that'd be cool.

XOXO!™

etecoon

Smash Hero
Yeah the way I'd imagined it was that there would be entrances all over the place. In my mind I actually picture there kind of being three layers with railways and sewers that go all over the place and act as kind of a buffer/shortcut hub between the surface and a lot of underground regions, which are also connected in a more linear way on top of that(so no repeat of SS' sky where everything is 100% segregated)

YES, now that Potion Shop works! Oh man, this is exponentially better than the last; totally immersive. Those bone chimes... my gosh
I was surprised I was able to get something that close to what I was looking for, findsounds.com just returned a bunch of wind chimes but I found a Zebra patch that only took me a few minutes to turn into that. Might've been for the best, I think the cleanness of it being synthesized has an interesting contrast with the grungier percussion. This is in that sense a lot closer to what I saw in the Sheikah when you posted the new Link pic, most of the percussion being acoustic but subtly distorted and filtered...it's hard to grasp any of their culture from the actual games, SS Impa is egyptian, OoT Impa and Sheik are ninja, TP's Sheikah village is spaghetti western...

I just read a really interesting blog about Super Metroid, I think I've linked to a few other game design related things that I've liked here so I have to link this

http://nickkooy.blogspot.com/2011/05/20-reasons-why-super-metroid-is.html

A lot of good concepts and it frequently mirrors my own thinking, the context sensitivity of any given element for instance is why I'd rather just put the "undefeatable monster" idea away for later. We've defined very little or nearly nothing about the actual structure of the game as of yet, the world itself has really dominated what progress we've made.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Are you imagining anything?
I laid out my thoughts on what the monster could be there for, but we haven't settled on game elements like fighting style and items which could change the fight.
Etecoon is right though, we can come back to this later. Orboknown, I would like to see you contribute more invention to the project beyond tacked on support.
alright.
I don't think we ever really specified a middle east feel aside from the central area of hyrule being more desert like, but I'm open to anything like that, I never really thought about exactly what the monster may be, just "hey what if there's this beast that will **** your **** up and it has no plot relevance?"
well, maybe there is a different cultural vibe for each race/domain? the gorons area woyld be different culturally form the gerudos and the Sheikah
Another idea I've been kicking around but keep forgetting to post, what if the potion shop is based primarily on fungus that you find in Maro Woods?
that would be good, and could you collect rare fungi from around the new hyrule and bring them back to this potion shop to culture more and combine them to make enw objects? Customizable potions?
I agree with that map, but I think that there should be more openings to go underground. Possibly hidden/unlockable ones. I think that above the city there should be a (big) circular hole, that'd be cool.
XOXO!™
Random holes in the gorund leading to caverns that are sealed off form underground but once inside the cavern from dropping in the surface route you caqn bomb/hammer them open somehow and connect the underground together further?

etecoon

Smash Hero
Yeah each race has it's own culture obviously, the Gerudo would be the closest to middle eastern I suppose but there's always a blend of influences...makes me wonder about middle eastern swamp people...if they're even still around in this...

It's fun to think of ancient Hylian architecture now existing in a completely different kind of environment than it did originally. There's actually a theory out there that this kind of thing happened with the Sphinx, it has erosion patterns that match more closely with hundreds or thousands of years of rainfall rather than sand erosion, it may completely predate our written history

etecoon

Smash Hero
heh, that sort of thing is just like the parts of that article I just linked to talking about defying expectations

zelda trains you "slash plants for free rupees and hearts"

most of this game plays the same

then you go to gerudo swamp and see some plants you could get some things from

except it eats you.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Yeah each race has it's own culture obviously, the Gerudo would be the closest to middle eastern I suppose but there's always a blend of influences...makes me wonder about middle eastern swamp people...if they're even still around in this...

It's fun to think of ancient Hylian architecture now existing in a completely different kind of environment than it did originally. There's actually a theory out there that this kind of thing happened with the Sphinx, it has erosion patterns that match more closely with hundreds or thousands of years of rainfall rather than sand erosion, it may completely predate our written history
what if(and I know i have said this before) the apocalyptic event broke down some natural barrier and we now have an ancient section of hyrule to explore for the first time? or sdome culture that was here before the hylians?
heh, that sort of thing is just like the parts of that article I just linked to talking about defying expectations

zelda trains you "slash plants for free rupees and hearts"

most of this game plays the same

then you go to gerudo swamp and see some plants you could get some things from

except it eats you.
secret level in one of these plants if we have a minish cap style item?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lol no people at the swamp, enter a plant drop into nectar bar filled with plant people.

also 2 ideas about the monster in the rail station(even though people have said multiple times that we should come back to it later)
a)it's blind and uses hearing/vibrations to find you, no moving gives you a moment to make an escape plan before it hears your breathing but you have to get good distance between you, it doesn't just stop when you do.
b) it has great vision in the dark but sensitive to the light giving you some free spots to get away from it and a reason it doesn't leave.

Jakor

Smash Ace
So, what's up with Jam Stunna, the leader of the project? Is someone contacting him or not? Cause without someone to supervise the project and determine which person does what, this could rapidly turn into a mess.

As for the title of the game, I thought about two different ones, feel free to share your thoughts about them:
-The Legend of Zelda: The King's Lamp
-The Legend of Zelda: The King's Tomb

Personally, I prefer the first one. And I know the title could change at anytime during development, but I thought it would be better to have one right now than to have nothing at all. The thread's title could be change to reflect the current working title.

By the way, great potion shop theme, etecoon. I love the similar feel it has to the other themes in the series, while still bringing something new.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
So, what's up with Jam Stunna, the leader of the project? Is someone contacting him or not? Cause without someone to supervise the project and determine which person does what, this could rapidly turn into a mess.
at this stage jam is reading but nor commenting. Spire is the overall director of the project with final say on a lot of this underneath Jam.
As for the title of the game, I thought about two different ones, feel free to share your thoughts about them:
going with a title now would reign our creativity in and limit us to working around the title.

Jakor

Smash Ace
at this stage jam is reading but nor commenting. Spire is the overall director of the project with final say on a lot of this underneath Jam.
Are you sure Jam is reading? Anyway, it would be nice if he commented more.

going with a title now would reign our creativity in and limit us to working around the title.
Maybe, but I'd like to hear what the others think about it nonetheless.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
So I was thinking about Link

He should start with more than the usual "here's a sword" thing, so what about this as a small item thing;

Normally, Link uses large and not-so-subtle bombs. Pure power. In this game, he will use mainly Deku Nuts to blind people, and you could just use the magical aspect of the Sheikah to blow up rocks or even use some combustion on bushes.
Walk up to rock
put hand on it
ZAAAAAAA
*boom*
<insert secret plays sound>

Catch me drift?

Spire

III
BRoomer
that would be good, and could you collect rare fungi from around the new hyrule and bring them back to this potion shop to culture more and combine them to make enw objects? Customizable potions?

Random holes in the gorund leading to caverns that are sealed off form underground but once inside the cavern from dropping in the surface route you caqn bomb/hammer them open somehow and connect the underground together further?
I LOVE the idea of fungi being the potion brewing aspect. Since the Maro Woods is ridden with fungi, it would be home to many types, but the most valuable are all those found elsewhere. The wayward maro so to speak. We've collected mushrooms before (Odd Mushroom → potion section of Biggoron Sword quest), but now there will be bountiful types, all that can be used to brew potions. In a barren world ridden with death and decay (though beautifully!) fungus is right at home. Also, vegetative life should be included, such as the bioluminescent growths in the underground.

And to the second idea, totally. There will definitely be secret entrances unlocked by blasting holes/boulders.

Middle Eastern Swamp People you say? It's actually a core part of arabic culture, albeit dwindled. They've been around for a long, long time... since like, Gilgamesh.
what if(and I know i have said this before) the apocalyptic event broke down some natural barrier and we now have an ancient section of hyrule to explore for the first time? or sdome culture that was here before the hylians?
I could see the apocalypse revealing a totally hidden part of Hyrule, a part whose culture is entirely unknown up to this point. Maybe they're still around? Maybe they just have ruins, like the Ikana. What race/species could it be?

It's too early to be considering a title, but I'm glad you've brought it up. You're the first to actually do so in the thread. Coincidentally, I actually thought the title might be based around the lamp that Ganondorf is contained within—if of course we go with that idea.

He should start with more than the usual "here's a sword" thing, so what about this as a small item thing;

Normally, Link uses large and not-so-subtle bombs. Pure power. In this game, he will use mainly Deku Nuts to blind people, and you could just use the magical aspect of the Sheikah to blow up rocks or even use some combustion on bushes.
Walk up to rock
put hand on it
ZAAAAAAA
*boom*

Catch me drift?
So scratch the bombs and give him the ability to turn any liftable item into a bomb? Aha! There must be an activation queue for it though, like if you pick up a rock and an enemy starts charging you, the "A" action appears and if you press it in time, Link hurls the rock at the ground, exploding in front of the enemy. Quick, but free and effective.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I was more thinking about giving Link the ability to blow things up, but turning items into bombs would be cool too.

The bigger the rock, the more it will limit mobility etc. Different types do different things n yada yada.

We should really look at the magical aspect of Link.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I LOVE the idea of fungi being the potion brewing aspect. Since the Maro Woods is ridden with fungi, it would be home to many types, but the most valuable are all those found elsewhere. The wayward maro so to speak. We've collected mushrooms before (Odd Mushroom → potion section of Biggoron Sword quest), but now there will be bountiful types, all that can be used to brew potions. In a barren world ridden with death and decay (though beautifully!) fungus is right at home. Also, vegetative life should be included, such as the bioluminescent growths in the underground.
I like all this

I could see the apocalypse revealing a totally hidden part of Hyrule, a part whose culture is entirely unknown up to this point. Maybe they're still around? Maybe they just have ruins, like the Ikana. What race/species could it be?
SS also exposes the existence of two pre-hyrulian cultures, maybe something to do with them?

It's too early to be considering a title, but I'm glad you've brought it up. You're the first to actually do so in the thread. Coincidentally, I actually thought the title might be based around the lamp that Ganondorf is contained within—if of course we go with that idea.
We really need to flesh out more of the story, we don't have an antagonist or any idea of the conflict, just a setting. I also like the idea of the title having something to do with the lamp but "The King's Lamp" doesn't flow right for me. Making Ganondorf a very central part of the story makes sense to me, I think Midna was the best companion in the 3D games by far partly because she was essentially the main character of TP, it's a good way to have a more dominant personality to counter balance Link being a silent protagonist

So scratch the bombs and give him the ability to turn any liftable item into a bomb? Aha! There must be an activation queue for it though, like if you pick up a rock and an enemy starts charging you, the "A" action appears and if you press it in time, Link hurls the rock at the ground, exploding in front of the enemy. Quick, but free and effective.
Make any object explode whether or not it should rationally have the potential to explode you say?

(I like this)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
An important aspect of a title is that it's easy to remember.

SS, WW, OoT
etc

Definitely a good call with the SS races getting exposed. That would be really hype. Especially the robots. Would love to see an evolved form of the Parella who moved into the Swamp, that would fit perfectly imo. (their shape is very fungus-like)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I always read. I'm not inclined to comment.

This is all brainstorming right now, and I don't want to prejudice any ideas with input. Nothing official regarding new positions or story elements will be announced before May 21st.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I always read. I'm not inclined to comment.

This is all brainstorming right now, and I don't want to prejudice any ideas with input. Nothing official regarding new positions or story elements will be announced before May 21st.
Ok. I just wanted to make sure you hadn't abandoned the project.

As for the game, I really like the idea of having Ganondorf's spirit as your companion in a lamp, as it would be unexpected and could add a lot to the story. Also, his personality would be far different from past sidekicks.

As for the title of the game, we could find one with the word "lamp" in it later on, if we go with that idea of course.

Orboknown

Smash Hero

Walk up to rock
put hand on it
ZAAAAAAA
*boom*

Catch me drift?
so he can focus the inner potential energy of the atoms in the rock and make it go kersplode?
and the different combinations can be used to have a home recipe book for potions.. maybe collecting all the "recipes" can unlock a heart piece or something special?
And to the second idea, totally. There will definitely be secret entrances unlocked by blasting holes/boulders.
wonderful.

Maybe it could be like the Galapagos Finches or whatever, they were originally one race but got split off from some other race via natural landmarks getting thrown up around them?
ganondorf tagging along would definitely be something special.
that makes more sense than what i said
We should really look at the magical aspect of Link.
agreed.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I've mentioned a few times recently that we lack structure, we've started to create a foundation in the setting but we need to figure more out about the plot to really progress. Who is the villain? IS there a villain? If there is, is it a Goron, or someone else? If this is hundreds of years removed from Eldin Caldera's apocalypse, is the Goron behind it even still alive, do they live that long? Was there even a person responsible for the first eruption, or was it just an act of nature that someone is now trying to capitalize on? Where does Ganondorf fit into all of this? We need to identify what the conflict is.

etecoon

Smash Hero
After all of the latest games chronologically, ambiguity and not identifying a particular timeline was a design goal from the beginning, one reason I'd lean against including the Gerudo because they were supposed to have all been killed off in LTTP's backstory where simply being absent doesn't imply anything either way(any race disappearing in the wake of the eruption makes sense anyway)

Top Bottom