• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

Sedda

Smash Champion
the lack of avatar state would be a good opportunity to have Korra actually do some work, but theey can just come up with anything else like the jinora thing

theeboredone

Smash Legend
my understanding is that she can't go into the avatar state anymore. It's supposed to be a combination of all the knowledge from all avatars, but no connections anymore.
Yeah I thought she lost that. Or at least restarted it, the next avatar will definitely be happy to have her skills but all the past avatars got wiped when rava died. They could have said they were back but they didn't and have chosen not to show her use it since then, I wouldn't be happy if she just did it without an explanation.
She did it in the first episode of Book 3 when trying to clear away the giant vines. The Avatar State does not consist of the past Avatars, it consists of tapping into Raava, the spirit bound to the Avatar. However, she did lose the benefit of the skills she could use from her past Avatars.

With that being said, one could wonder if Korra could simply ask Raava about the past Avatars.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
this finale turned it around for me. Book 3 is so far my favorite book. Zaheer still being alive and the fact that there are more red lotus members out there means that we will see him again for sure.

These last two episodes show how nobody has to die for great loss to happen. Korra is messed up now and hopefully that'll be used in Book 4. The fight scenes were very good too.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Hands down the best finale from TLOK.

Just things that stood out the most to me:
  • You guys completely called Bolin being able to lava bend. Not sure how I feel about it but good for him I guess
  • I was shocked by P'li's death actually
  • I was satisfied that 3/4ths of the Red Lotus had death endings. And that Mako and Bolin both held their ground against them.
  • Flight as the ultimate form of air bending? Meh. It was interesting but not super hype for me
  • Wasn't expecting Jinora to be bald but I'm happy she became an air bending master
I completely feel for Korra. I felt legit fear for her when she was bound and Zaheer explained what they were going to do and how they were going to wipe out the avatar cycle. It was very scary and dark to me. I think her being in a wheelchair and very out of it/depressed since encountering such an extreme near death experience is very brilliant and extremely eerie. The ending left me feeling disturbed but not in a bad way.

Overall I'm satisfied with this season. Best one they've produced with Korra. I loved the focus on airbending because it's something I felt was always neglected on the show, I think most of the characters were developed very nicely, and I also like the dark route the show went with this one.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I enjoyed the episode for the most part. Honestly a 8/10 in my book. I'm just going to go over the cons rather quickly, since everything else was awesome. P'Li's death...good gosh.

1. Why didn't Korra ever trigger the AS until she got poisoned? You think seeing her dad "die" would have been "I'm gonna eff you up" mode.

2. Mako got owned by Ming Hua in their first fight. Now he's able to corner and dominate her? This would have been better set up had they been evenly matched from the start. With that being said, YOU JUST USED LIGHTNING? Where was that in their first two encounters?

3. I stated this earlier, Bolin getting lava bending is a total deus ex. He's never practiced, understood any concepts, and he is no genius. It was stupid.

4. Jinora leading/saving Korra AGAIN. Okay seriously? I wanted her to do something, but this is getting ridiculous. Can we have Korra just beat the **** out of someone on her own for once?

Everything else was awesome.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This season was definitely the best one and I like how they tied in the previous villains. Bolin lavebending is pretty damn sweet and is actually quite probable considering he IS half Earth Kingdom half Fire Nation. Mako beating Ming Hua like that made sense. Lightning bending would be telegraphable for Ming Hua to dodge in previous encounters. In the last encounter, her being surrounded by her greatest asset turned out to be a major weakness.

I can't wait to see what Book 4 has in store for us. I wonder if we'll get more dark stuff like the Earth Queen and P'Li's head being blown off.

Sedda

Smash Champion
^^ A couple of things about this.
I enjoyed the episode for the most part. Honestly a 8/10 in my book. I'm just going to go over the cons rather quickly, since everything else was awesome. P'Li's death...good gosh.

1. Why didn't Korra ever trigger the AS until she got poisoned? You think seeing her dad "die" would have been "I'm gonna eff you up" mode.

2. Mako got owned by Ming Hua in their first fight. Now he's able to corner and dominate her? This would have been better set up had they been evenly matched from the start. With that being said, YOU JUST USED LIGHTNING? Where was that in their first two encounters?

3. I stated this earlier, Bolin getting lava bending is a total deus ex. He's never practiced, understood any concepts, and he is no genius. It was stupid.

4. Jinora leading/saving Korra AGAIN. Okay seriously? I wanted her to do something, but this is getting ridiculous. Can we have Korra just beat the **** out of someone on her own for once?

Everything else was awesome.

1. I more or less feel the same way as you do about the AS but for different reasons. I dont see how we could've possibly known that going into the Avatar state could've helped at all... The thing with the Avatar State has ALWAYS been about getting power from past avatars. The fans can speculate all they want about getting more power fromm the AS somehow, but it's never been established as something that works like that without a connection to the other avatars.

2. I think Ming Hua was weakened by getting a boulder to the face by Korra when she went into the Avatar State. I was ok with them being evenly matched then, but Bolin needed help at the end. It worked out ok for me.

3. I don't think that was a Deus ex honestly. A deus ex machina is relative to what's been established in the show already. Toph learned how to metalbend in one episode without practicing, same with Korra more or less. If "practicing" is all that was needed to avoid a deus ex machina, then Korra's airbending in book 1 wasn't a deus ex, but it was. Besides, it's been established that they could've just as easily jumped off and survived the fall ;)
****ing OOGI was a total deus ex. ***** came out of NOWHERE. It was almost embarrassing how convenient he was.

4. The only thing that bothered me is the whole out of body experience spying on Korra. It wasnt really necessary. I felt like they only used that so that Jinora could say the thing about the poison being metallic at the end.

As far as her leading the other air nomads to save Korra, it's ok because it was supposed to exemplify her new role as a leader, but it honestly felt out of place because she was completely downplayed this book. Jinora is just weird for me now. I hope they keep her head shaven and start referring to her as Aang now tbh

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^^ A couple of things about this.

1. I more or less feel the same way as you do about the AS but for different reasons. I dont see how we could've possibly known that going into the Avatar state could've helped at all... The thing with the Avatar State has ALWAYS been about getting power from past avatars. The fans can speculate all they want about getting more power fromm the AS somehow, but it's never been established as something that works like that without a connection to the other avatars.

2. I think Ming Hua was weakened by getting a boulder to the face by Korra when she went into the Avatar State. I was ok with them being evenly matched then, but Bolin needed help at the end. It worked out ok for me.

3. I don't think that was a Deus ex honestly. A deus ex machina is relative to what's been established in the show already. Toph learned how to metalbend in one episode without practicing, same with Korra more or less. If "practicing" is all that was needed to avoid a deus ex machina, then Korra's airbending in book 1 wasn't a deus ex, but it was. Besides, it's been established that they could've just as easily jumped off and survived the fall ;)
****ing OOGI was a total deus ex. ***** came out of NOWHERE. It was almost embarrassing how convenient he was.

4. The only thing that bothered me is the whole out of body experience spying on Korra. It wasnt really necessary. I felt like they only used that so that Jinora could say the thing about the poison being metallic at the end.

As far as her leading the other air nomads to save Korra, it's ok because it was supposed to exemplify her new role as a leader, but it honestly felt out of place because she was completely downplayed this book. Jinora is just weird for me now. I hope they keep her head shaven and start referring to her as Aang now tbh
1. Even if there were arguments regarding what gave the AS its power, it was pretty much confirmed in the finale that Korra was able to haul ass, while being poisoned. She was practically flying and slicing mountains in half. So just like that, it makes me wonder why the hell she didn't use it earlier on?

2. Yeah, that's a good point...though kinda lame at the same time lol.

3. It was. I agree Toph's MB was also Deus Ex. The show is just riddled with them when it comes to season finales. Oogi showing up was another one. I mean, these two weren't as bad as last Book's Jinora Christ thing, but I just hate them in general.

4. Eh, I think the spying was used, cause they didn't know if Korra would be able to bust out on her own or not. Had they gotten there a bit earlier, the poison would never have been applied.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Why was Korra chained up in the way she was? It was as if they didn't plan for executing her at all. Should have wrapped her up completely and had either some mechanism or bender that could've killed her instantly or propelled her into the lava pit upon her achieving the Avatar state. I understand things can exceed expectations but what could you possibly lose to be a bit prepared when it comes to something so monstrous and crucial to their plan. Bah.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Dang, the last two episodes were just filled with good stuff! Lin and Su's touching sister moment! P'Li's head asplode (shame, being a combustion bender never ends well)! Super Zaheer! Lavabending Bolin (a lot of people called it, but it actually turned pretty neat)! Random Kuvira (potential future antagonist? Seems so random though, but I did just find out that she's voiced by Robin Williams' daughter)! And that was just the first part!

Avatar State Korra vs. Zaheer was pretty bad ass, even if she was weakened. I feel like Korra only had like three actual lines in the last episode, and the rest were grunts of rage or pain (but compare to Kya, who had none!). It's cool that Zaheer's still around though (he's cool, even if he got his butt kicked in the end), but too bad about his friends. Ghazan was a cool guy in my opinion, and he and Ming-Hua went out with a bang. Mako and Bolin really steppes up at the end (especially the latter), and I guess the lavabending torch has officially been passed. But Jinora always saves the day! They should rename the show "The Legend of Jinora". It turns out Su saved the day a lot too. Jinoraang looks funny, and Depressed Korra at the end is intriguing.

Well, I think that's everything. I can't wait to see what the last season will be like!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Toph's metal bending, korra's air bending and even zaheer's flight were all kinda deus ex but they were set up and explained and made sense unlike random lava bending. I had expected him to learn how to unlava bend, just condensing it but controlling it is a bit much. At the very least I don't think he knows how to make it himself yet. And I expected mako to need to do something to gain lightning bending before beating ming...but I still loved the finale and this book.

Anyways, they set up stuff that will probably come to play next season for an all out finale. The vines, ba sing se, varrick's magnet suit, I wonder if zuko is gunna go through the portal to see his uncle too. Also air benders of course. But any of you guys following the kuvira stuff?

Rewatching the series she's frequently shown as a respectable metal bender. She's the main dancer in suyin's show, being hit on at one point, leads the charge when korra is abducted, front page of a newspaper Lin reads, interviewed by iwei, closes the gates after opal leaves, she is asked to track iwei and after all that no one noticed she was recurring character but at the end they go to great lengths to say, she matters by zooming in on her, with her own music and having her introduce herself....but we're gunna ignore her now. As well someone took the picture of suyin in the traveling circus and showed her with a bald man with zaheer's cheek structure and then put kuvira next to both of them, she has suyin's hair and zaheer's eye brows and her age would match up before Zaheer went to jail and suyin talks a lot about meeting bad people, like pirates, and giving people second chances. That part might be a stretch but she's definitely going to be back, she's even voiced by Zelda Williams but has a few throw away lines even though she's in 4 episodes.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, these Kuvira rumors have been going around quite a bit. I'm curious to see what role (good or bad) she will play in Book 4. Then again, people have tendencies to hype up minor characters for no reason. I wouldn't be surprised if she played some role, but not an important one.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Wait, wait, are you telling me I can get Smash 4 3DS and Book 4 ON THE SAME DAY?! Nintendo and Nickelodeon, are you trying to kill me with massive amounts of HYPE right now?! If so, then I can't love you both enough for it :_D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm fine with it. Can't wait! Honestly, if it's gonna be online, just do the whole Netflix, release all at once thing.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Wow they used technology to be able to make the ability to fly accessible to all airbenders!

Sedda

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree that this trailer doesn't generate as much hype. The trailers for book 2 & 3 were god tier though.

The only hype I needed was the three year thing. Didn't expect it at all xD. I'm excited to see how some of the characters have changed.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Mako didn't get much screen time compared to the other characters in the trailer. I hope he plays a more prominent role, despite this being another Earth Kingdom centric plot.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I'm gonna wait til friday. im not gonna be able to live with myself if i watch that and cant watch anything more

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I saw the trailer to Book 4. I'm pretty interested. I hope it's as good as Book 3, which is my favorite Korra season so far. I'm curious about this new villain lady she seems to be a Earth/Metal Bender. If I had to guess, she's likely another member of the Red Lotus or something along those lines.

I hope we get more Air Bending fight scenes too. That was a bit lacking in Books 1 and 2, but 3 delivered.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I saw the trailer to Book 4. I'm pretty interested. I hope it's as good as Book 3, which is my favorite Korra season so far. I'm curious about this new villain lady she seems to be a Earth/Metal Bender. If I had to guess, she's likely another member of the Red Lotus or something along those lines.

I hope we get more Air Bending fight scenes too. That was a bit lacking in Books 1 and 2, but 3 delivered.
The villain is Kuvira. She was featured in Book 3 in the last few episodes as one of Su's soldiers. Looks like she's grown up and created her own views on how the world should be ran. Voiced by Zelda Williams, daughter of Robin Williams.

My body is ready. Actually it's not, but I want Book 4 bad. 12 PM Eastern on Nick.com!

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Episode is up! Overall, great cliffhanger and it definitely lays out what the season is going to be about. My only concern is that there seem to be several plots going on, which may lead to issues of focus given this Book is 13 episodes. It happened in Book 2 afterall.

Sedda

Smash Champion
^^pretty much agree 100%

they also didn't say anything about the red lotus. i think itll be ok because most of the pieces are already in place, to say it in one way. we know who's on which side and all that.

i'm not really sure how i feel about the new king's subplot. he's pretty much growing up to be the old king with kuvira as her dai li head kinda-sorta.

which reminds me of the dai li. it would be interesting to see what kinda dynamic they bring to the table. not sure if theyre even gonna be there tho

Top Bottom