• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I've learned that down throw > down b works on floaty characters at higher percents. Whereas fast fallers fall straight down (slowly so its not a spike). I was testing this on DDD and Bowser who fell straight down after two hits of cyclone and then tested it on Luigi and Rosalina who died off the top.

Just something to bear in mind for a kill option
Also a couple of things about cyclone. If your going for a ceiling kill its best to taper off mashing towards the end of it or else the final hit won't connect.
I already went over this stuff in a previous post. It should be possible to connect the whole cyclone on every character from a dthrow if you both space it correctly and adjust mash accordingly.

I'm planning to make that video about it tonight so hopefully I'll have enough time to put it together and upload it.

Jtails

Smash Lord
Not sure if I should put it here, or in the video critique thread, but this is a competitive guide I made for new Luigi mains who might be interested in picking him up.

Any constructive critisicm would be appreciated from the Luigi mains here :) Let me know if I miss anything!

Jtails

Smash Lord
Not sure if I should put it here, or in the video critique thread, but this is a competitive guide I made for new Luigi mains who might be interested in picking him up.

Any constructive critisicm would be appreciated from the Luigi mains here :) Let me know if I miss anything!

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace

It's a great guide.
But the aerial up b does kill, just a bit later..also you should've mentioned how fsmash can be angled upward or downward (the upward angled fsmash would kill DK at that percent).
Also you can rise without upward momentum with down b as demonstrated by boss, but it requires insane mashing (or something else I'm not understanding)

Other than, it's a really good guide for people wanting to main him/already main him. Awesome job, Jtails!

Last edited:

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
It's a great guide.
But the aerial up b does kill, just a bit later..also you should've mentioned how fsmash can be angled upward or downward (the upward angled fsmash would kill DK at that percent).
Also you can rise without upward momentum with down b as demonstrated by boss, but it requires insane mashing (or something else I'm not understanding)

Other than, it's a really good guide for people wanting to main him/already main him. Awesome job, Jtails!
Are you sure it's possible to rise with down b without a jump? I watched a few boss matched and didn't see it.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
I already went over this stuff in a previous post. It should be possible to connect the whole cyclone on every character from a dthrow if you both space it correctly and adjust mash accordingly.

I'm planning to make that video about it tonight so hopefully I'll have enough time to put it together and upload it.
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while, and I usually try to read over past posts to avoid repeating something that's already been posted. However I have an example about how cyclone can spike when you trade with there recovery or any hit box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CakM_52Ac8
Starts around 3:25. I may have just spiked him outright with cyclone but I'm not sure. Still it's another good use for the move if we can land it consistently. I noticed Mr. Concon was doing this too players. Even though I lost a stock too, the trade was worth it considering the percents. Probably good of lived if I had teched the stage spike by his teammate.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while, and I usually try to read over past posts to avoid repeating something that's already been posted. However I have an example about how cyclone can spike when you trade with there recovery or any hit box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CakM_52Ac8
Starts around 3:25. I may have just spiked him outright with cyclone but I'm not sure. Still it's another good use for the move if we can land it consistently. I noticed Mr. Concon was doing this too players. Even though I lost a stock too, the trade was worth it considering the percents. Probably good of lived if I had teched the stage spike by his teammate.
If you can mash enough, it's nice being able to do runoff cyclone to catch people with this while rising just enough to get them to fall out.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'd love if Boss came here and taught us about the jumpless cyclone.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I'd love if Boss came here and taught us about the jumpless cyclone.
To learn the way of Boss, you must become Boss.

Jk, but yeah, it would be great. Teach us your ways, oh almighty Boss!

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Mash at least 12 times per second. Nothing more to it unfortunately.
Are you usin your thumb to mash? only have the wii u gamepad right now and im practicing it by jumping offstage till im below the ledge and mashing till i get some sort of rise

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So I've gone from a total of versing 1 Luigi in For Glory in 2 months...to versing 4 in one week.

The bandwagoning...it's slowly happening. Lol.

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
So I've gone from a total of versing 1 Luigi in For Glory in 2 months...to versing 4 in one week.

The bandwagoning...it's slowly happening. Lol.
They will move on soon enough. They'll go to Diddy Kong and Yoshi.

:substitute:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Funny enough, I've seen literally 1 Diddy Kong...ever since owning it.

Falcon on the other hand...is every 3rd match. And he's not even top tier.

D

Deleted member

Funny enough, I've seen literally 1 Diddy Kong...ever since owning it.

Falcon on the other hand...is every 3rd match. And he's not even top tier.
I've seen a few Diddy Kongs. Some are good, some are pretty much on-par with try hard scrubs. I've also seen a few Rosalinas and Yoshis a lot as well. The character that I see the most is Little Mac and most of the Macs that I've fought are awful.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Are you usin your thumb to mash? only have the wii u gamepad right now and im practicing it by jumping offstage till im below the ledge and mashing till i get some sort of rise
Yea I use my thumb. I tense up my right hand and have my thumb over B for my mashing.

Also I got 3rd at NEC this weekend going all Luigi.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Yea I use my thumb. I tense up my right hand and have my thumb over B for my mashing.

Also I got 3rd at NEC this weekend going all Luigi.
I saw the post on eventhubs. they have a gif of your wiffed up b lol. GOOD STUFF! I love hearing luigis doing well. What characters did you have to face through the tournament?

Also i'm on the right path then. Once I get my gcc adapter Im really gonna get the mashing down its such a powerful tool.

Last edited:

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I saw the post on eventhubs. they have a gif of your wiffed up b lol. GOOD STUFF! I love hearing luigis doing well. What characters did you have to face through the tournament?

Also i'm on the right path then. Once I get my gcc adapter Im really gonna get the mashing down its such a powerful tool.
Is there a Link to it? I cannot seem to find it on the site

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Was there a stream?
Good job dude. How many was it out of?
Thanks. And yea check SmashStudios on twitch or youtube for matches. There was something like 45 players or so.

Uhh, played against Ness, Ganon, Falcon, Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, Link, Palutena, Mac, and Mario. Mainly saw Diddy once I got into top 8 so most of the chars listed were single uses.

Lol that diddy misses the punish completely
He told me later that he meant to fsmash me, and I figured he was attempting to get a real punish out on me anyway so I got lucky there. I'm surprised that bthrow even killed because it was a panic punish from cheating death like 5 times lmao

Maybe third try is the charm what are some good combos?
dthrow>nearly anything, dthrow>cyclone at high % to kill, fair>fair

There's a huge list of combos in the Luigi guide thread so I'd check that out.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Nice I figured on diddy. I feel luigi is one of those characters that can contend diddy can't wait to see the vids.

I think we all need to start discussing character MUs again and re discuss some of the ones we already have. Sonic, Tink, and Yoshi have been my latest obstacles.

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Nice I figured on diddy. I feel luigi is one of those characters that can contend diddy can't wait to see the vids.

I think we all need to start discussing character MUs again and re discuss some of the ones we already have. Sonic, Tink, and Yoshi have been my latest obstacles.
What about them is giving you trouble?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Maybe third try is the charm what are some good combos?
Check the guide here in the Luigi boards in the first post, there's a gigantic list of combos there with percentages.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
One thing I'm seeing that he does that I don't do very often is jab -> grab and rolling. Typically I try to set up a fireball -> dash grab situation instead. I also like dthrow -> fair -> FFuair better than double fair because it does slightly more damage and gives better follow ups imo. Definitely liking his aggression though. I find I can be a bit too passive, especially against campers like Duck Hunt.

The match against Diddy/Olimar was very interesting. Personally I think Luigi is close to even against Diddy, so I was way more interested in the Olimar MU.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I've loving Luigi lately. Even made him my new official main. Now I'm not jumping on the bandwagon because was my main in Melee and I tried him a little in the first month of Smash 4. But after really getting in the lab with him I'm willing to declare him my main character (replacing Little Mac). He just feels so silky smooth. I actually like him better here than in Melee.

I've been around these boards a bit but I plan to be more active now that I'm all in for the Green Plumber.

Gameplay stuff:
I've adopted a heavy fireball and grab game. Luigi racks up so much damage through his grabs. With fireball pressure he can easily overwhelm characters and make people play at his pace (which is pretty fast by the way). But he can also slow down the pace by making people respect his fireball and alter their approach. Down throw combos are so good and can be heavily varied to combat any DI, double jump, or air dodge. His off stage play isn't bad either as long as you're smart about it.

My main issue has just been KO'ing. I often get people to percents +150 because I can rack up plenty of damage without getting the kill. Down throw->up b is risky especially when you're at high percent. All smashes require reads or punishes. Edgeguarding can be iffy or reliable (character dependent). Back throw works well at those percents. I've been opting for Nairs mainly when percent is that high

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
My main issue has just been KO'ing. I often get people to percents +150 because I can rack up plenty of damage without getting the kill. Down throw->up b is risky especially when you're at high percent. All smashes require reads or punishes. Edgeguarding can be iffy or reliable (character dependent). Back throw works well at those percents. I've been opting for Nairs mainly when percent is that high
dthrow cyclone is the goat if you need kill options

Coming soon in video form.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yeah I need to work on that more in order to get the true combo. Most times people jump away before I can connect with it

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I use dthrow -> sweet spot bair as a reliable finisher at higher percents sometimes, depending on the opponent's DI and such. Usmash is fairly safe and isn't too hard to sneak in for a KO. Luigi has a pretty nice off stage game too so don't be afraid to go for some deep gimps. Practise dthrow -> dair spike when you get a grab over the ledge and your opponent is like 80-100%. Practise getting the dair spike off in general, actually. Something I've been experimenting with is if I miss the sweet spot on nair(misread the DI or whatever) after a dthrow, I double jump and rise with a cyclone for a KO off the top.

I had the same problem of racking up percent but not being able to KO. But Luigi actually has a lot of set ups for KOs.

Top Bottom