• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It's not so much about them being hard, but it's about the fact of how often you are required to mash in those games. Just makes going turbo mode easier.

EDIT: I'm sorry for the Double post, But why the hell can't you delete posts anymore?
Just edit your initial post for future reference. If you want a double post deleted I can do it for you.

Gameplay wise, no changes. At least we didn't waste time making a thread.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
My 3DS lags when I try to use Trio Kite, so I basically cheated when I mash. There are times where it doesn't tho.

My record is 1800-ish of height. When not lag supported, somewhere like... 1700-ish. What's yours, everyone?

Off-topic: Trio Racquet is obnoxious to time your buttons.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Seeing little to no difference from old (brawl) Luigi to new (wii u) Luigi... I guess that's supposed to happen with old characters.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Heya! I've been getting weak hit nair > up b to true combo on mario in training mode (on the 3DS) from around 103% > 120%. Is this a potential kill confirm, and (if it's already known), how reliable is it?

EDIT: To execute it, just short hop and, once you reach the apex of your jump, hit your opponent with the weak hit without fastfalling (so it autocancels). Then, quickly fullhop and hit your opponent with the SJP.

Last edited:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Heya! I've been getting weak hit nair > up b to true combo on mario in training mode (on the 3DS) from around 103% > 120%. Is this a potential kill confirm, and (if it's already known), how reliable is it?

EDIT: To execute it, just short hop and, once you reach the apex of your jump, hit your opponent with the weak hit without fastfalling (so it autocancels). Then, quickly fullhop and hit your opponent with the SJP.
Kinda, but soft Nair can be DIed pretty easily if your opponent knows how to and up b is already a bit risky of an option as it is, without DI being a big factor. I honestly prefer either weak Nair into either strong Nair, Bair or Cyclone. These moves are definitely better options to go to imo. Much less punishable even if you don't kill, and are able to cover the DI options with more ease (especially Cyclone). I wouldn't personally wouldn't try to do something as risky as up b, but if you feel that you have it/you just want to be the type of guy who styles on people, then you do up b. Just make sure you know you're going to hit it first, obviously. Lastly, I've gotten it once or twice on a real person before, but I'm not convinced that Nair into up b is a true combo on some characters. Namely the floaties. It could use more testing, to be honest.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I've also found that nair is a pretty good tool on the ledge that luigi's don't use enough (well, maybe im watching the wrong videos but anyway)
If timed correctly, it can cover getup attack, normal getup, and jump. The only 2 it can't afaik are fast fall fair (or another aerial) and roll. Is there a reason why it's not utilized much?

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
I've also found that nair is a pretty good tool on the ledge that luigi's don't use enough (well, maybe im watching the wrong videos but anyway)
If timed correctly, it can cover getup attack, normal getup, and jump. The only 2 it can't afaik are fast fall fair (or another aerial) and roll. Is there a reason why it's not utilized much?
Well, from what I've seen: D smash when well spaced can cover roll, regular get up and attack get up very well while having less commitment and more reward. U smash is another option for reads on the ledge to hopefully snag a stock. Both are usually better options for pressuring an opponent at the ledge.

Duhvine

Smash Rookie
The smash options are normally the best and safest options for Luigi. You can also spam fireballs and when they shield, you can punish grab them and maintain stage control.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I dropped Luigi for several different characters, but I'm too inconsistent with all of them.
I find myself back again, with better fundamentals. I don’t really have a preferred playstyle with Luigi. All I know is that I use foxtrots to move and prefer to run straight into the opponent. What's all of your personal opinions on how Luigi should be played properly?

RequiemRedStar

Smash Cadet
What's all of your personal opinions on how Luigi should be played properly?
I think that a Luigi player should abuse their opponent's fear of being grabbed. Inch forward, hang around that zone where it's possible for you to get in a dash, and watch them squirm and pre emptively react, then try to punish or take advantage when possible. Only drawback of this is it requires good spacing, patience, and potentially some good power shielding/spot dodging as you'll probably be catching a lot of 'keep away' bairs etc. This also doesn't work well if you've failed to demonstrate to them why they don't want to get grabbed.

On another note, anyone been noticing "meme counterpicks" on for glory lately? By "meme" I'm talking about those particular bad matchups that announcers mention without fail in pretty much any tournament video ever that features Luigi. The "Marth, swordies, corrin, Link" etc. There are lots of times where I play a match with someone and they immediately switch to a sword character or Mario and then demonstrate far less applied skill with that character than their first which suggests they just attempted to counter pick to whatever they heard was favorable.

RaagsToRiches

Smash Rookie
I dropped Luigi for several different characters, but I'm too inconsistent with all of them.
I find myself back again, with better fundamentals. I don’t really have a preferred playstyle with Luigi. All I know is that I use foxtrots to move and prefer to run straight into the opponent. What's all of your personal opinions on how Luigi should be played properly?
I personally a more offensive Luigi. I usually get good grabs setups. The better get though the more defensive I am starting to play. It has worked wonders. If you are not playing against Game and Watch or Ness or Lucas fireball camping is a nice strategy. Waiting for them to fall behind you works really well with Luigi for some reason. (It is how I get my kills)

Just my two cents

Top Bottom