• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh, right, that was a thing.. When did 4 come out in Japan again? (2019) Oh, well, hang in there Yo-Kai bro...

Actually now that I think about it, even if we don't get a new game or Layton in Smash, if they where to announce an anime adaptation for the original series to celebrate the series 15th anniversary, I'd be pretty cool with that too. I might potentially be even more hyped for that than the aforementioned two even tbh..

For a company that really capitalizes on multimedia stuff since Inazuma Eleven, its kinda sad Layton never really got much love in that department until LMJ, and that mainly starred his daughter instead of the man himself...
well they did seem to over stretch them selves with the multi media series so perhaps it was for the best

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well they did seem to over stretch them selves with the multi media series so perhaps it was for the best
That's mainly because they just did it willy nilly for pretty much every new IP they brought out instead of seeing first if the game is popular enough to warrant it or not, which speaking of, I think Megaton Musashi is getting an anime too right? I hope they know what their doing...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's mainly because they just did it willy nilly for pretty much every new IP they brought out instead of seeing first if the game is popular enough to warrant it or not, which speaking of, I think Megaton Musashi is getting an anime too right? I hope they know what their doing...
given their track record that’s a little foreboding

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh, right, that was a thing.. When did 4 come out in Japan again? (2019) Oh, well, hang in there Yo-Kai bro...
It's a shame if we never get that in the west, i imported it in the event it doesnt and gameplay wise it's the best in the series.
Gets the usual time travel trope out of the way early on to focus on a fun adventure between Nathan and his daughter from the future. Fun times.

Here's hoping Megaton garners a fanbase, seems like a cool thing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's a shame if we never get that in the west, i imported it in the event it doesnt and gameplay wise it's the best in the series.
Gets the usual time travel trope out of the way early on to focus on a fun adventure between Nathan and his daughter from the future. Fun times.
and his son and the kid from 50s

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Professor Layton would be a fun and fitting final character for Smash. Not E3 big but still tied to Nitnendo and a generation that grew up with his games.

Not to mention, finally a decent DS representative outside of Lucario.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
what to people know of this "ushiro" level-5 are supposedly making? i read it was a cancelled project they decided to revive for the switch?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
and his son and the kid from 50s
My biggest complaint with the game is that it feels like the kid from the 50's doesnt really contribute anything to the story, he's only there because they needed a rep from the past.

...They could have just used Nathan's grandfather from the second game. That game was a time travel plot too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My biggest complaint with the game is that it feels like the kid from the 50's doesnt really contribute anything to the story, he's only there because they needed a rep from the past.

...They could have just used Nathan's grandfather from the second game. That game was a time travel plot too.
No he was there cause of the movie

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
what to people know of this "ushiro" level-5 are supposedly making? i read it was a cancelled project they decided to revive for the switch?
No clue, apparently it was a horror RPG they cancelled for the PSP

This oddly reminds me of that one game teaser Level-5 showed off in one of their Vision conferences of some anime shool girl dropping herself off some building, wonder whatever happened to that...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No clue, apparently it was a horror RPG they cancelled for the PSP

This oddly reminds me of that one game teaser Level-5 showed off in one of their Vision conferences of some anime shool girl dropping herself off some building, wonder whatever happened to that...
a bit of research and im sure you could find it

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh also, one more thing. Apparently the Layton OST Level-5 put up the other day was taken down from iTunes, Spotify and whatnot for whatever reason.

A bit odd that that happened randomly, hopefully they will address that soon...

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Oh also, one more thing. Apparently the Layton OST Level-5 put up the other day was taken down from iTunes, Spotify and whatnot for whatever reason.

A bit odd that that happened randomly, hopefully they will address that soon...
i wanna speculate about how that could lead into smash but I might save that for tomorrow on here. Could mean nothing but with curious village still being up and their strange reasoning for leaving Layton 3,4,5,6 and 7’s off iTunes despite 3 and 7 being on mobile already, it leaves a bit of a puzzling look and it could be worth speculating about

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i wanna speculate about how that could lead into smash but I might save that for tomorrow on here. Could mean nothing but with curious village still being up and their strange reasoning for leaving Layton 3,4,5,6 and 7’s off iTunes despite 3 and 7 being on mobile already, it leaves a bit of a puzzling look and it could be worth speculating about
I mean, it is strange that it was randomly taken down, especially since it was Level-5 themselves who posted these songs there and hyping it up on Twitter and not some random fan posting them. Unless some other party told them to take it down, now whether said party was Nintendo, I guess that remains to be seen...

If we where to humour that this may be related to Smash (I mean, the final reveal is only a few days away so what do we have to lose at this point?) and why Curious Village was the only one that stayed up out of the three. Perhaps its the one game out of the three that is getting some remixes whereas the other two games are just getting some of their songs ported, especially if Layton's home stage is St. Mystere and well, the series main theme originated from that game after all..

But that's just a tinfoil hat theory..

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I mean, it is strange that it was randomly taken down, especially since it was Level-5 themselves who posted these songs there and hyping it up on Twitter and not some random fan posting them. Unless some other party told them to take it down, now whether said party was Nintendo, I guess that remains to be seen...

If we where to humour that this may be related to Smash (I mean, the final reveal is only a few days away so what do we have to lose at this point?) and why Curious Village was the only one that stayed up out of the three. Perhaps its the one game out of the three that is getting some remixes whereas the other two games are just getting some of their songs ported, especially if Layton's home stage is St. Mystere and well, the series main theme originated from that game after all..

yeah that’s the same kinda idea I had as well. Luckily we won’t have to wait ages to find out if we were on the right track or if we wrong.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Wouldnt it make a bit more sense to assume it has something to do with Level 5's western closure?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wouldnt it make a bit more sense to assume it has something to do with Level 5's western closure?
That happened over a year ago though, plus their still releasing stuff outside of Japan such as the Layton merch line a couple months ago, as well as that Ni No Kuni game's confirmation of a western release.

I've also heard that their still releasing stuff in Europe apparently.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
nope because they’ve been doing Layton merch in the west recently and Layton 7+ just got added a few weeks ago to the Apple Arcade in every European country meaning they obviously went out the way to negotiate the rights to have it on the store.

there’s no logical reason for them to remove it. Only thing that comes to mind is that a third party asked them to remove it which is where the Layton in smash theory comes to be.

we’ll have an idea on Tuesday when FP11 is announced. If it comes and Layton isn’t announced then it’ll just look really weird on Level 5’s part.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Wait, Layton 7+??? That means Layton Mystery Journey, right? They haven't brought back the social deduction game that vanished in 2015?
yeah mystery journey got added to Apple Arcade a few weeks ago. You probably didn’t hear about it though because most of the news for the franchise comes from the Japanese page these days. The English page hasn’t been active on Twitter since lost future was announced to be coming to mobile. Guess they don’t see it as a big enough reason to come active again

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Besides, if it was related to the whole Western Branch thing, then shouldn't all three games OST's be taken down and not just the latter two while CV sticks around?

Who knows at this point, it could lead to something, or it could just be another Christopher Miller type of thing where something weird happened in regards to the Layton series that just never gets addressed or explained for whatever reason later on...

Seriously, what was his voice lines actually used for? The only time he did Layton's voice again after the fact was to do a couple lines for a new cut scene in Curious Village HD and there was nothing out of the ordinary there...

Wait, Layton 7+??? That means Layton Mystery Journey, right? They haven't brought back the social deduction game that vanished in 2015?
Yeah Layton 7 is Millionaire's Conspiracy. No clue whatever happened to that weird spin off game, probably silently cancelled I presume..

yeah mystery journey got added to Apple Arcade a few weeks ago. You probably didn’t hear about it though because most of the news for the franchise comes from the Japanese page these days. The English page hasn’t been active on Twitter since lost future was announced to be coming to mobile. Guess they don’t see it as a big enough reason to come active again
Really? I could have sworn some English Layton twitter brought it up that Level-5 put the OST's up, unless it was a fanmade Twitter account...

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Besides, if it was related to the whole Western Branch thing, then shouldn't all three games OST's be taken down and not just the latter two while CV sticks around?

Who knows at this point, it could lead to something, or it could just be another Christopher Miller type of thing where something weird happened in regards to the Layton series that just never gets addressed or explained for whatever reason later on...

Seriously, what was his voice lines actually used for? The only time he did Layton's voice again after the fact was to do a couple lines for a new cut scene in Curious Village HD and there was nothing out of the ordinary there...

Yeah Layton 7 is Millionaire's Conspiracy. No clue whatever happened to that weird spin off game, probably silently cancelled I presume..

Really? I could have sworn some English Layton twitter brought it up that Level-5 put the OST's up, unless it was a fanmade Twitter account...
probably fan account as the official English accounts been inactive since lost future’s mobile announcement. It’s better they stay dead for the time being as it’ll just look sus if they start liking pics all of a sudden or making posts.

amageish

Smash Master
I think it was probably just an expired contract for the OSTs that neither party bothered to put the time into renewing, in spite of their ongoing relationship in other fields...

I assume it was silently cancelled as well, as it was supposed to release Summer 2015.

I was talking to GoodGrief earlier and we joked about how, somewhere out there in the multiverse, there is a world where Layton 7 (a social deduction game based on Mafia/Werewolf) blew up instead of Among Us (a social deduction game also based on Mafia/Werewolf)... and what a universe that would be lol.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think it was probably just an expired contract for the OSTs that neither party bothered to put the time into renewing, in spite of their ongoing relationship in other fields...

I assume it was silently cancelled as well, as it was supposed to release Summer 2015.

I was talking to GoodGrief earlier and we joked about how, somewhere out there in the multiverse, there is a world where Layton 7 (a social deduction game based on Mafia/Werewolf) blew up instead of Among Us (a social deduction game also based on Mafia/Werewolf)... and what a universe that would be lol.
That must have been a very short contract then... Oh well.

Wouldn't be the first time Level-5 went ahead of the curve in something but never developed it enough for it to go viral.

Some might say that Stachenscarven was essentially an early Sans from Undertale or Monica from DDLC, as in, a character that is the only one in universe who is aware that this is all just a game and messes with you knowing it...

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Bit of a weird contract then if that’s the case as the ost’s of the anime and Layton 2 had only been up a week and curious village is still up.

that’s why my guts telling me that it hasn’t got anything to do with contract problems on Level 5’s end and makes me think it could be potentially smash related. That’s just my theory though.

amageish

Smash Master
Some might say that Stachenscarven was essentially an early Sans from Undertale or Monica from DDLC, as in, a character that is the only one in universe who is aware that this is all just a game...
Clearly we need a metamodernist Layton game about the existential crisis that arises from your world is composed of all puzzles. /s

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Clearly we need a metamodernist Layton game about the existential crisis that arises from your world is composed of all puzzles. /s
Of course Stachenscarfen was the one pulling all the strings all along! Who else has been putting all these hidden puzzles and hint coins around conveniently for Layton & Co to collect, Granny Riddleton?

We're on to ya!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
a universe where i still have hope for humanity

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welp, less than 24 hours to go until the final curtain calls and people are already going around in a frenzy with speculation over tweets and titles I see.

Not that we've got much of a horse in the race or anything. Layton was always more popular in Europe than anywhere else so he could be a character that can appeal to the west and titles like "The Final Battle" and variations of it has been common last chapter names in many Layton games and media down to even a song. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens..

I'm unfortunately going to miss the stream due to work but do tag me if you see the prof turn up in any capacity, be it playable or a mii costume (Heck go ahead and tag me if we get any Level-5 mii costumes, that would be a small victory in of its own at this point...)

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Welp, less than 24 hours to go until the final curtain calls and people are already going around in a frenzy with speculation over tweets and titles I see.

Not that we've got much of a horse in the race or anything. Layton was always more popular in Europe than anywhere else so he could be a character that can appeal to the west and titles like "The Final Battle" and variations of it has been common last chapter names in many Layton games and media down to even a song. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens..

I'm unfortunately going to miss the stream due to work but do tag me if you see the prof turn up in any capacity, be it playable or a mii costume (Heck go ahead and tag me if we get any Level-5 mii costumes, that would be a small victory in of its own at this point...)
not just 1 song but 2 since the final battle of eternal diva is also called the final battle i Believe (correct me if I’m wrong.

tomorrow is gonna be one hell of a day. Hopefully is Layton supporters come out on top. We’ll just have to pray.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
not just 1 song but 2 since the final battle of eternal diva is also called the final battle i Believe (correct me if I’m wrong.

tomorrow is gonna be one hell of a day. Hopefully is Layton supporters come out on top. We’ll just have to pray.
Oh right, Eternal Diva also had a Final Battle theme.

For a series detractors like to tout as "too pacifist" and Layton having "even less moveset potential to pull from than Phoenix Wright" the series sure had a lot of action and battle moments... :rolleyes:

Real talk though, hearing this in Layton's reveal trailer while taking down Galleem and/or Darkhon would be pretty kino.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Oh right, Eternal Diva also had a Final Battle theme.

For a series detractors like to tout as "too pacifist" and Layton having "even less moveset potential to pull from than Phoenix Wright" the series sure had a lot of action and battle moments... :rolleyes:

Real talk though, hearing this in Layton's reveal trailer while taking down Galleem and/or Darkhon would be pretty kino.
can see it right now. Galeem and dharkon going at it with the fighters looking confused as to how to beat them. Then Layton says “I have a plan” and everyone looks at him as the camera pans to him and shows his splash screen “Layton solves the case”

gameplay starts to show with his classic theme Playing and then it cuts back to cgi and this theme starts playing as they put the plan into action.

can literally see it.

amageish

Smash Master
All European trailers have had weirder "Battle"-based names, so I think people looking into that trailer title are looking at things a bit too closely...

As for the final character... I don't know anymore... I'm tired... I just hope it isn't too long before we see Professor Layton as an IP being alive worldwide again...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
can see it right now. Galeem and dharkon going at it with the fighters looking confused as to how to beat them. Then Layton says “I have a plan” and everyone looks at him as the camera pans to him and shows his splash screen “Layton solves the case”

gameplay starts to show with his classic theme Playing and then it cuts back to cgi and this theme starts playing as they put the plan into action.

can literally see it.
That would be a fun way to involve the entire (or most at least) roster in the trailer as some sort of last hurrah, don't know how likely it is, but definitely would be hype to see.
All European trailers have had weirder "Battle"-based names, so I think people looking into that trailer title are looking at things a bit too closely...

As for the final character... I don't know anymore... I'm tired... I just hope it isn't too long before we see Professor Layton as an IP being alive worldwide again...
Yeah most likely folks are just looking too deeply into this stuff again as usual, as Sakurai rarely tends to drop any significant hints towards any character reveals.

But eitherway, its nothing really that hurts Layton's chances all that much so its whatever I suppose.

But yeah, even if nothing comes of this, hopefully all this carrot dangling Level-5's been doing the past few month's leads to something interesting for the series eventually, especially as we approach the series 15th anniversary next year on February...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Hate how Smashboards wasn't giving me notifications about this thread for months. Boy, I missed out a lot.

This soon-to-release trailer definitely has a bittersweet feeling as a Layton fan. On the one hand, it will finally mark the end of speculation for a while, but on the other hand, it will also mean some characters won't be added to Smash for a long, long while... assuming we even get a Smash game in the future. It's also bittersweet knowing this is Layton's last chance to be added.

The prospect of Layton being added to Smash was what brought me to Smashboards in the first place just a few months before Smash 4 released. Though I've mostly moved on from Smash speculation, Layton still has my support. I can't say I'm certain he will be the final DLC fighter, but I certainly wish he was, and it would certainly make for a grand and awesome send-off to Smash Ultimate in my book. He is my most wanted fighter for Smash after all!

I better start planning what will become the future of this thread once the final trailer is released, assuming the newcomer speculation threads will be closed for good like what happened after Smash 4 DLC ended.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I said I would come back if Professor Layton got revealed in Ultimate, but those recent Harada and Sakurai tweets got me riled up to the point of wanting to come back to speculate. lol

Right now, I don't expect Layton in the last presentation, and I'm feeling the worse case scenario of him being a Mii costume. But if he's ends up being a character, I'd be ecstatic!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Its nice to hear from you two again Erureido Erureido and BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
No matter who gets revealed, I'm happy to have discussed Layton with everyone here.

I'm not sure what the future of the Layton support threads would be assuming the prof doesn't turn up again. I've been supporting him here for almost a decade now since June 25 2012. I believe my very first post on Smashboards was me creating the original Layton support thread for Smash 4 all those years ago and I'm happy that the threads managed to last this long despite the ups and downs along the way.

I'm doubtful I'll be the one making the next support thread come the next Smash entry, assuming Layton misses this boat as well. Nor am I sure what the state of Smashboards itself would be seeing as web forums seem to become more and more of a dying breed as time passes on sadly.
So unless Level-5 manages to make a huge turnaround from their current slump and make it big again like the DS & 3DS era by the time the next Smash game rolls around. I'll probably call it quits after this.

But whoever wants to make the next support thread for Layton come the next Smash game, you have my blessings.

Eitherway, I wish you all the best of luck and hope you get the outcomes you want!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I said I would come back if Professor Layton got revealed in Ultimate, but those recent Harada and Sakurai tweets got me riled up to the point of wanting to come back to speculate. lol

Right now, I don't expect Layton in the last presentation, and I'm feeling the worse case scenario of him being a Mii costume. But if he's ends up being a character, I'd be ecstatic!
does this mean you want your threads back?

But whoever wants to make the next support thread for Layton come the next Smash game, you have my blessings.
oh thanks

Top Bottom