• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lavender Kunoichi, AYANE, takes it to the Xtreme!

patriot712

Smash Rookie
"Burn the visage of my strength into those eyes!"

~The Lavender Kunoichi~

"Who is this lady?"

Ayane, one of the main characters from Koei Tecmo's popular (for... a few reasons, *ehem*) fighting game series, "Dead or Alive".

The illegitimate child of Raidou and Ayame, Ayane was a outcast since her childhood due to her dishonorable birth, but thanks to the tutelage of Genra and her friendship with Kasumi and Hayate, she then decided to become the greatest kunoichi in the history of the Mugen Tenshin clan.

"Why her and not Kasumi?"

While Kasumi is arguably the main character in DoA (and I frankly wouldn't mind all that much if she was chosen for Smash instead), Ayane has proven to be the more popular of the two, to the point where she's made quite a few playable appearances in other games (some of them admittedly from her home company, and in the case of Ninja Gaiden, the same universe), sometimes even without Kasumi... and some more unusal than others.

These are:

-"Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2"

and
"Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge"

-"Warriors Orochi 3"

-"Warriors All-Stars"

-"Senran Kagura: Estival Versus"
and
"Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash"

-"Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water"

Ayane's basically DoA's breakout character, so her being the series' representative in a crossover extravaganza like Smash would make a lot of sense (more than Honoka and Marie Rose, but I digress).

I should mention that she would be representing Dead or Alive and not Ninja Gaiden (hence the lack of Ninja Gaiden stuff here, like music and trophies), if Hayabusa ever makes it to Smash, then he will be representing his own series (much like Wario and Yoshi represent their series despite sharing Mario's universe).

"Wait, isn't she more on the Playstation/X-Box side?
Does she even have some Nintendo presence?"

While her origins and exclusivity have been more on the non-Nintendo side of things for the most part, she did appear in a couple of Nintendo-exclusive games, "Dead or Alive: Dimensions" for the Nintendo 3DS and the aforementioned "Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water" for the Wii U, so there's that at least (besides, console association hasn't been a major factor with most 3rd Party characters anyways).

"Isn't her series VERY infamous for its RIDICULOUS fanservice?"

Yes, that topic is pretty much unavoidable when it comes to DoA, it's hard to ignore even for a DoA fan who likes the series beyond its heavy use of T'n'A.

The thing is, that's mostly relegated to stuff like the Xtreme Beach Volleyball series, the alternate costumes and breasts motion options (yes, really), which I don't think would be implemented in Smash in any way (save for maybe some panty shots using the camera but hey, nothing new).

(Image by gaming123456)

CHARACTER BIO
(Info taken from my DA account)
Name: Ayane
Alignment: Good
Company: Koei Tecmo
Origin: "Dead or Alive" (1998)
Weight: Medium
Emblem: "D" logo
Voice actress: Brittney Harvey/Wakana Yamazaki
Boxing Ring Alias: "The Lavender Kunoichi"

Appearance:

-Her ninja outfit from Dead or Alive 5 and her classic outfit from Dead or Alive.

Intro:

-Appears crouching in a cloud of smoke with iris petals, then stands in a fighting pose.

Idle Animation:

-Her idle animation from the fighting games, with her ocassionaly flipping her hair and doing some kunoichi hand gestures.

Gameplay:

-A mix between her hack-n-slashing moves from Ninja Gaiden and her fighting style from the main Dead or Alive games (that is, her Specials/Smashs are all NG while her normals/tilts are DoA) with heavy emphasis on slashes and spinning attacks (and some explosive kunai), plus her usual agility and speed.

Special Moves:

• B: Flash Kunai: A projectile that will explode a few seconds after hitting its target.
    • ▲+B: Shadowless Leap: A ninja-style teleport.
    • ►+B: Reverse Wind: A fast, almost instantaneous dash.
    • ▼+B: Counter Attack: A counter move using her swords.
    • Final Smash: Art of the Raging Mountain God: Ayane concentrates all her energy into a huge shockwave.

Taunts:
(All of them from Dead or Alive 5)

• Up: Puts her hands on her hips and says "You idiot!"
    • Down: Shrugs and says "Do you wanna fight?"
    • Side: Wipes her hands and says "Loooser!"
Alternate Costumes:
Stage:
-Zack Island: A tropical paradise with people (cameos of other DoA characters) playing voleyball in the beach. The platforms resemble docks and are destructable.

or

-Danger Zone: A closed-in, square cargo-lift, which carries highly explosive, toxic material stored in large tubes fixed in the walls. The lift either descends or raises up the underground shaft. Some parts of the floor and walls are explosive.

Victory Poses:

(All of them from Dead or Alive 5)

-Does a kunoichi pose while saying "The match is decided!"
-Shrugs while saying "You gotta fight better than that!"
-Embraces herself while looking away and saying "Hmph, don't make me laugh!"

Victory Music:

-"Stage Clear" from the original Dead or Alive.

Music:

Trophies:
-Ayane
-Ayane (Alt.)
-Art of the Raging Mountain God (Final Smash)
-Flash Kunai
-Kasumi
-Hayate
-Tina
-Helena
-Christie
-Lisa
-Leifang
-Hitomi
-Mila
-Nyotengu
-Honoka
-Marie Rose
-Eliot
-Zack
-Bayman
-Bass
-Tengu
-Genra
-Alpha-152
-Raidou
-Donovan

Pit: Oh, wow...

Palutena: You're right in being impressed, Pit, that's Ayane, a kunoichi of the Mungen Tenshi clan.

Pit: Uh-huuuuh...

Palutena: She might look like a typical ninja, but she has a lot of complex techniques that make her quite unpredictable in a fight, like her switching between her standard and back stances and her spinning attacks combined with her quick kicks.

Pit: Hmmm...

Viridi: She also has explosive kunais that do a lot of of damage, as well as a pair of short swords to add more along with her kicks and punches, all with almost inhuman speed!

Pit: Just look at them...

Palutena: Not only that, but she also has the power to concentrate her vital force into a powerful energy shockwave, so you better be careful if she starts gathering power.

Pit: So huge...

Palutena: Pit, are you even...? Pit! PIT!!

Pit: GAH!! What is it, Lady Palutena?

Palutena: Did you get all that?

Pit: What? O-Of course I did!

Viridi: Alright, what can you say about Ayane, based on what we told you?

Pit: She, uh...

Palutena: Yes?

Pit: Well, she has like, uh...

Viridi: Continue?

Pit: She... kicks high...?

Viridi: *sigh* Pit, you're hopeless.

• SSBCandidates
  • Aussie the Shinobi
  • Wonks
  • smashkirby
  • RosaPeach
  • SEGAGameBoy

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hell yeah, I would love Ayane in Smash!

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I've never played Dead or Alive, but I know who Ayane is--which really speaks to her popularity. With the success of Hyrule Warriors, one has to imagine Koie-Techmo might have some representation be it a playable character, assist trophy, or regular trophy. Ayane seems like she would be a top choice from that company.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Oh I really want to see Ayane I think she has chance because Koei has a big panther ship with Nintendo with the Dynasty Muso Nintendo Spin Offs. And Ayane is the flagship of Koei Tecmo. Cant add Ryu because name issues.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Oh I really want to see Ayane I think she has chance because Koei has a big panther ship with Nintendo with the Dynasty Muso Nintendo Spin Offs. And Ayane is the flagship of Koei Tecmo. Cant add Ryu because name issues.
We got both Roy Koopa and Fire Emblem Roy in Smash 4, so it's not really an issue when Ryu Hayabusa be called out by his full name or just "Hayabusa" by the announcer.

Outside of that, I can take both Ryu Hayabusa and Ayane for Smash. I wouldn't mind either of them. I am completely fine with Koei Tecmo getting a character in Smash.

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
We got both Roy Koopa and Fire Emblem Roy in Smash 4, so it's not really an issue when Ryu Hayabusa be called out by his full name or just "Hayabusa" by the announcer.

Outside of that, I can take both Ryu Hayabusa and Ayane for Smash. I wouldn't mind either of them. I am completely fine with Koei Tecmo getting a character in Smash.
Yeah maybe Im probaly over thinking the name issues a bit, I want Ayane more than Ryu.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
patriot712 patriot712

If you don't mind me pointing it out, wouldn't Janice Kawaye be a more correct choice for Ayane's English VA? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Britney Harvey, but I'm pretty sure Janice was voicing her for longer.

patriot712

Smash Rookie
patriot712 patriot712

If you don't mind me pointing it out, wouldn't Janice Kawaye be a more correct choice for Ayane's English VA? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Britney Harvey, but I'm pretty sure Janice was voicing her for longer.
Oh, you mean the one from the Ninja Gaiden games? Yeah, I guess she'd be fine reprising her role (in fact, all of Ayane's recent voice actresses would do a fine job on their own), but Brittney Harvey is usually the one I associate with her the most... mostly because I recognize her as Sakura from Street Fighter X3

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, you mean the one from the Ninja Gaiden games? Yeah, I guess she'd be fine reprising her role (in fact, all of Ayane's recent voice actresses would do a fine job on their own), but Brittney Harvey is usually the one I associate with her the most... mostly because I recognize her as Sakura from Street Fighter X3
Oh, I understand. To each to their own, and all of that. Heck, I also LOVE Brittney Harvey as Sakura. She's so fitting as her.

That being said, I'd be beyond ecstatic to see Janice Kawaye voice Ayane in Smash. Mostly because she's one of my favorite voice actresses EVER, and to see HER with a Smash game on her resume just hypes me up like you wouldn't believe (Though I'd feel the same way if Brittney Harvey was in a similar position too).:b:

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Maybe Ryu Hayabusa can get in representing Ninja Gaiden, while Ayane represents DOA. Heard DOA 6 is coming but for a reason lower the fan service. Seems a bit sad considering the SJW environment we live in.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Sure, but she might need a bikini as an alt to represent the fanservice of Dead or Alive and you know, the Xtreme spinoffs. But they would need to find one that would meet the approval of the ESRB and wouldn't give the game an M rating.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Sure, but she might need a bikini as an alt to represent the fanservice of Dead or Alive and you know, the Xtreme spinoffs. But they would need to find one that would meet the approval of the ESRB and wouldn't give the game an M rating.
It can be a cute bikini, something akin to ZZS´ orange suit. But right now it seems Koei Tecmo want to favor the SJW audience.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kasumi is actually still more popular than Ayane

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Welp. With Maigate, it seems chances for Ayane will get hard. Mind you she is not as endowed as Mai, but of course she is known for her sex appeal. And yeah, she could use other less risky suits, but if Mai was not even allowed to use her classic get up; then I see this hard.

Unless they go with a full bodysuit, as oddly CERO has no problem with such things...

D

Deleted member

Well with :ultminmin in Smash who isn't even the mascot of Arms (nor a character that was heavily marketed as Spring Man or Ribbon Girl), I guess I can say that Ayane would be added in before Kasumi.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Last edited:
Top Bottom