• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Does that mean DK Jr thinks that this might be a good spot to find some ingredients?

That will be Sora's final smash, just repeating Donald's line so players throw their controllers through the TV in agony.
Big Vine joke?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So, I will say that as far as Retro's games go, I think they actually do build on the lore of the DKC games. The bananas weren't really special until DKC3 and DK64; Banana Birds and the Banana Fairies kinda implied more to the fruits than the 1st 2 games did, and in Returns they gave us a decent reason for why the Tikis wanted them. Like don't get me wrong we all love K. Rool, but we can't pretend him stealing bananas in DKC1 was for a good reason. It was an excuse plot that boiled down to: Monkeys like bananas, so the bad guys stole them.

As silly as it seems, there's more to derive from the Retro games when it comes to bananas. There's ancient temples focused on bananas, it's an enemy faction's life force, and there's a banana that transports people to another dimension. That alone is a decent chunk of lore and speculation right there, and then there's what you can derive from the levels in general. I certainly think the island from Returns is the same as the 1st DKC; the general locales match up too much with only 2 exceptions (Volcano and Beach). The main difference is the aesthetic and tone. The Forest from Returns is no doubt DKC's Treetop Town; seeing it become infested with Tikis to the point where massive totem Tikis are sprouting is alarming given the plot, and then seeing it frozen over by an eternal winter didn't make things better. Revisiting KremKroc Industries and seeing how rundown it became once the Kremlings left was fascinating. The Tikis tried to do something with it but the Snowmads made things worse by subjecting it to those blizzards, and it shows throughout Frozen Frenzy.

I could certainly go on, but I'll wrap things up. The thing is, Retro made sure that each level in Returns and Tropical Freeze told a story. It's not just that they had more room to put details into the levels, they made the stages feel more alive, like you can subtly trace a backstory and lore to the games. Some levels only exist because previous levels, and in some cases previous games created those domino effects. Scorch N Torch is a result of Frantic Fields. The Juicy Jungle is a setup for Bashmaster getting especially pissed off. Stormy Shore's weather causes Tidal Terror. There's TONS of Visual Storytelling in the games and it builds on what we knew of the setting in great ways. Ba-Boom is likely a newer member of the Snowmads since he's certainly not an Arctic Animal, and since they like to conquer new lands it's not hard to connect some dots. Then there's the tech in Sea Breeze Cove and the suspiciously high number of wreckage in the Lost Mangroves. The lore will mostly remain unexplained but both Returns and Tropical Freeze have far more implied backstory than the original DKCs. In short, there's plenty of lore to speculate on with these 2 games.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Y'know, I'm surprised Miyamoto didn't make a big deal about DK's 40th Anniversary either. I remember him telling Retro that Donkey Kong is his baby, and that they better do right by him back when Returns was being developed.

That gave me the sense that he cares deeply for his creations. While I'm sure it means much to him as it started his life's work (Mario), I thought there'd be some fanfare going on. It sucks especially since this just reinforces the notion that DK as a whole, not just DKC is just some odd branch that isn't worth Nintendo's time and effort. On a surface glance, you would think some of the smaller franchises are more important to the company. Such a weird feeling to be a fan of DK.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Y'know, I'm surprised Miyamoto didn't make a big deal about DK's 40th Anniversary either. I remember him telling Retro that Donkey Kong is his baby, and that they better do right by him back when Returns was being developed.

That gave me the sense that he cares deeply for his creations. While I'm sure it means much to him as it started his life's work (Mario), I thought there'd be some fanfare going on. It sucks especially since this just reinforces the notion that DK as a whole, not just DKC is just some odd branch that isn't worth Nintendo's time and effort. On a surface glance, you would think some of the smaller franchises are more important to the company. Such a weird feeling to be a fan of DK.
I really don't think the lack of acknowledgement means anything. They, in theory, could just see it as so big that it isn't needed to mention.

Conversely, we got an anniversary nod for "Mario Paint." So...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The unfortunate truth is Nintendo never celebrates anniversaries unless it can be used for marketing purposes; typically with current revealed upcoming games or ports. Immediate profit > honoring their legacy. Until the new game is ready to be shown, they'll continue ignoring DK.

Still, it was great seeing how largely fans made DK trend on like twitter during the anniversary day, while the intern running the NoA account had to delete and repost the Zelda Skyward Sword stuff they were generically promoting, because it got overshadowed by all the DK passion at first. lol

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Looks like Sakurai didn't forget DK after all! He was just waiting for the NES version.

1983 Today "Donkey Kong" (Donkey Kong) NES version released !! The arcade version that appeared in 1981 was the founder of jump action. The selling point of the NES at the time of its release was that the masterpieces could be played at home. In Smash Bros. SP, the sound effect of stage "75m" is replaced with the arcade version compliant. #Smash Bros SP

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The unfortunate truth is Nintendo never celebrates anniversaries unless it can be used for marketing purposes; typically with current revealed upcoming games or ports. Immediate profit > honoring their legacy. Until the new game is ready to be shown, they'll continue ignoring DK.

Still, it was great seeing how largely fans made DK trend on like twitter during the anniversary day, while the intern running the NoA account had to delete and repost the Zelda Skyward Sword stuff they were generically promoting, because it got overshadowed by all the DK passion at first. lol
So, we are getting Mario Paint 2?
I’m annoyed he used Peach for the Pauline reference , but I can understand why he did it since Pauline isn’t playable in Smash.
I choose to believe it is because Pauline is now a liberated woman, ready to be elected to office, rather than be born into it. I'd much prefer to live in New Donk City than Mushroom Kingdom. Who wants an army consisting entirely of a hallucinating plumber?

Gimme double monke!
Part of me says, "of course we would get two more Kongs, and neither would be Dixie."

And part of me says, "We only get a new Kong Kharacter every ten years."

Both voices are true.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Top Bottom