• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It says something when others like Sega or something acknowledge the anniversary of a Nintendo series that Nintendo itself does not, and then Nintendo posts about one of a series it doesn't own (Pac-Man). Feels kinda backwards.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Remember this?

Kinda weird they would drop the Country moniker if they're going to use it for future products. And this is in Japan.
The merch-centric places sound quite juicy on their own end - if this all really is going to a reality then DK's gonna have good stronghold for quite some time.

On the rumors, I'm still curious what ways can Nintendo EP&D differentiate it's brand of 2D DK from Tropical Freeze from before. Pretty sure there's been discussions here on what ways they could do that in creative, interesting ways, maybe some here could bring their old ideas here to speed? :dr-_-:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
On the rumors, I'm still curious what ways can Nintendo EP&D differentiate it's brand of 2D DK from Tropical Freeze from before. Pretty sure there's been discussions here on what ways they could do that in creative, interesting ways, maybe some here could bring their old ideas here to speed? :dr-_-:
Kongs' Bad Fur Day.

Where dongs really do expand. :troll:

On a serious note, I think it'll be hodgepodge of both the original and Retro's DKC, perhaps marriage of the tag team and the buddy system, with a bit of beat em up antics of Jungle Beat. Assuming this will be 2D, of course.

I know there is some doubt, but I could see the team having free rein with the story and world, expanding what was told throughout the series to make something more cohesive and novel.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Honestly this is a hot take but I kinda want a Jungle Beat sequel of sorts as the new 2D entry from EAD. I dont mean disregard all of Rare's elements again but mix the two gameplay styles of Jungle Beat and Country and create something unique. Have the combo rhythm based gameplay of Jungle Beat while also having the characters, animal buddies, and KONG letters of the Country series.

Instead of weird evil Kongs you box Kremlings/K.Rool. I loved DK's movement options in Jungle Beat he could do more things than he could in Retro's DKC games. He could wall jump, handslap, clap, ground pound, back flip, wall slide. DK was insanely fun to control in Jungle Beat. Now imagine incorporating other Kongs into Jungle Beats playstyle. Like let Dixie do everything DK can but also let her glide like in DKC2 and hair whip. Diddy can run faster than the other kongs and use his jetpack to prevent him from touching the ground once a combo to extend your combo beat. Cranky uses his cane to bounce on the ground and on spikes. His bounce like Diddy's jetback counts as a beat combo but only once.

Bosses: This is the part that gets interesting. In the original DKJB their were 4 boss types Hogs, Kongs, Birds, and Robo Tusks. But here in Jungle Beat 2 we will call it. I would give each Kong a boss type to fight. Donkey does the boxing matches again but like I said this time they aren't evil Kongs but really big Kremlings like Krusha, Kludge, Klubba, and finally K.Rool. Diddy gets the Hog boss fights, Dixie gets the Bird fights, and Cranky gets the Robo Tusk fights. Obviously the Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky fights are theoretical ideas they can be different enemies to the ones in Jungle Beat. Maybe ones that incorporate different gameplay to fit the other Kongs unique abilities.

Also in my mind the KONG letters work just like they do in the Retro DKC games where you collect all 4 per level and collect all of them in every world/Kingdom you unlock a really difficult bonus Kingdom. The KONG letters are also strategically placed throughout the levels where you dont have to break your beat combos to get them. But this game also still has the banana totals as well. You earn bronze, silver, gold, and platinum medals at the end of each Kingdom depending on how many bananas you collect. If you get all platinum in all the kingdoms you unlock a harder boss fight with K.Rool.

Finally the controls a lot of you were probably thinking "but MarioManiac a Jungle Beat sequel wouldn't work because the original used the bongo controller" but alas Jungle Beat was ported to the Wii with a more "standard" control scheme and I believe the original allowed you to play with the GCN controller. Honestly I prefer the Wii version of Jungle Beat to the original anyway.

So thats my idea of what I would want the new DK game made by EAD to be. It honestly makes since to me. DKJB was a fresh direction for the series (even if it was divisive and sold poorly). Its also an insanely unique platformer that no other platformer has ever attempted to do again. If the rumor is to be believed its not part of the DKC brand AND its a sequel to a game EAD previously made which they aren't opposed to. Jungle Beat looked phenomenal in 2005 and still looks great today. Honestly the fur effects on DK have still yet to be topped. So if the game looks like that but in HD it has a chance to "Wow" people and reinvigorate the brand. The biggest things that held Jungle Beat back in many peoples eyes was the weird control scheme and lack of Rare created stuff. This game would fix both of those issues and could make this game sell at least 5 million in my eyes.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think a Jungle Beat inspired sequel could be a fantastic opportunity to really expand on that concept and create a kind of genre blend that would still feel unique in today's gaming market... and I also think it should happen after this next game.

I know this is going to reek of someone who seemingly just wants the same type of game over and over, but I guess from my perspective I see the current scenario as Nintendo EAD being in a very interesting place to really do their own take on the kinetic platformer without necessarily having to go to the well of Jungle Beat, at least not yet. Part of my view on this ties into Valkyrie's above question:

On the rumors, I'm still curious what ways can Nintendo EP&D differentiate it's brand of 2D DK from Tropical Freeze from before. Pretty sure there's been discussions here on what ways they could do that in creative, interesting ways, maybe some here could bring their old ideas here to speed?
I see a lot of real potential in the ideas from 2D platformers that have come into the market recently and how they've done their evolution/expansion on the core concept. Impossible Lair made excellent use of the overworld as a gameplay world in and of itself, the Ori dualogy wedded elements of platforming & the Metroidvania, while the Rayman titles perfected the art of required collectibles within a stage. There's a lot of things just from those things alone that could be utilized alongside core DK mechanics for a really fun, yet new experience.

Given that Nintendo's rarely done 2D hub worlds outside early Kirby titles, imagine a Donkey Kong title with a huge 2D overworld that can be explored with perhaps the key to finding new areas being the combination of Kongs. That could also still allow for traditional levels (perhaps with specific characters for certain ones) to not stray to far from the core gameplay concept. Perhaps there could be inspiration from Impossible Lair via the tonic like power-ups that not only have the trade-off system that system did (one will give you an extra jump at the cost of a heart) but maybe even having different effects depending on the Kong.

That's partially why I think a JB inspired sequel has its merits but doesn't have to be the very next title. The other reason is that (even beyond that its been 7 years since we had a new DK game period) I think a core developed Nintendo title is going to be a big deal, including being exposed to an even bigger audience than ever before. Because of that, I just believe that making a variation of Jungle Beat in that spot has the risk of making a certain impression on a new players as to what the main series is/will be.

I guess I'd just feel a bit less anxious if the next title was a brilliant and tightly designed pure platformer that re-establishes the brand so strongly that then doing a combo oriented hybrid release after that would be seen as an expansion of the brand and not necessarily as the core of what DK is.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I also wanted to say I would take any new DK game obviously (unless its Konga 4 or another peg swinging game or something. Lol) but I also took into account with my post above that Switch already has Tropical Freeze on it. Yes its a port but to many people its already a new game and even though Tropical Freeze is fantastic and one of the best 2D Platformers ever made. It didnt exactly light the sales charts up. So Nintendo would have to do something different with the series to justify having another one on the Switch. Also a traditional DK platformer while Im sure will be good I just dont see it being able to top Tropical Freeze.

But its also hard to predict Nintendo. I was one of the people who said "Mario Kart 9 can't exist on Switch unless they change it up drastically since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already exists and is selling like crazy" but then Nintendo went onto announce Splatoon 3 for Switch despite Splatoon 2 still selling well and from what we have seen so far just looks like more of the same which IMO Splatoon 2 already was to the original. So if Nintendo did make their own DKC game and released it on Switch alongside TF it wouldnt be too far fetched. I mean the SNES did have 3 DKCs afterall but that was a slightly different situation at a different era in time..

Also while I did say earlier that I dont think this new 2D DK game could surpass (or shall I say be a hard task to accomplish) Tropical Freeze in quality. Switch era Nintendo has been VERY clear they arent interested in topping themselves. New Horizons is just a worst more boring barebones New Leaf, Star Allies is mediocre compared to the previous 3, Crafted World is the 2nd worst Yoshi game only ahead of Yoshi's New Island, Super Mario Party while better than the other ND Cube developed titles still pales in comparison to all the Hudson developed ones, Origami King is good in its own right but compared to the original and TTYD well you know..and of course Sword/Shield need I say more?

Either way this "issue" could all be resolved if Nintendo just made a brand new 3D DK game. Lol

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Looks like we got another DKC inspired game on our hands, well visually at least, and it's a licensed game: Marsupilami!

Have to wait and see gameplay, but it doesn't look half bad visually.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Looks like we got another DKC inspired game on our hands, well visually at least, and it's a licensed game: Marsupilami!

Have to wait and see gameplay, but it doesn't look half bad visually.
Well well well~ as someone having grown with the particular comic series through Marathon's cartoon during the early 2000s, this really is utmost pleasant surprise.

Though the art style feels bit "generique" compared to how I remember Marsupilami in my head, kinda wish they adapted the comic style.

People are giving me **** on this, but I have a feeling Dixie's coming to Smash soon, and i believe its for the rumored DK game on the way.

I think she's coming.
TBQH, I can't fault you for thinking that way - it is something oddly encouraging to think about during these pretty developing times for DK-franchise.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The question of 2D vs 3D comes down to two elements; the creative direction of Nintendo EAD, and how much the company themselves see another 3D platformer as quasi competition to Mario. The latter's 2D games have slowed to just user generated content in Mario Maker, and the that field has been filled with Kirby, Yoshi, and DK. Nintendo may want to continue that trend even if much about the gameplay is of their own style.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It seems like we have some like-minded weirdos within SiIvaGunner .
Deniro....ever since you posted that vid I've had FNF on my mind! I HAD to do this, IDK what came over me:

Since that game is open to modding, it would be dope if someone made character models for the Donkey Kong cast! I legit never made fan content this quickly before LOL.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Deniro....ever since you posted that vid I've had FNF on my mind! I HAD to do this, IDK what came over me:

Since that game is open to modding, it would be dope if someone made character models for the Donkey Kong cast! I legit never made fan content this quickly before LOL.
I'm so happy I posted that video then, because these look incredible! We absolutely NEED to find a way to get these designs into a FNF mod!

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Woah, cool! I never heard of this game but I like this style! You think I can share this on the Twitter? Or do you prefer to post it on your own account?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Woah, cool! I never heard of this game but I like this style! You think I can share this on the Twitter? Or do you prefer to post it on your own account?
Go right ahead! I recently read up on the game after Deniro posted that vid. Apparently, it's created by newgrounds alumni (Castle Crashers etc) and has references to a bunch of stuff from that site's history and their animators like Egoraptor and OneyNG etc, etc. Recently, they opened the game up to modding and people have jumped all over it with their own spinoffs. Really cool stuff, but I think my favorite track from FNF is Roses. God that beat is dope:
The B-Side remix takes it to a whole nother level and I'm ecstatic to have both stuck in my head lol. I'd be really happy if you posted the art on the twitter page, and speaking of which, once again congrats to you and Sabertooth Sabertooth for getting 1,000 followers! Seriously, you both have taken it to a level I'd never reach and I'm really happy to see it happen. I might make more but no promises atm lol.

Also Snowbound, how come you didn't tell us about the YouTube page?! I bumped into it by accident and I subscribed earlier this week lol.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
My Nintendo E3 predictions:

-Starts off with a Smash reveal

-Zelda BotW2 gameplay plus anniversary plans

-Somethin Fire Emblem and Kirby related

-Third party stuff like No More Heroes 3 and Bayonetta 3

-2D Metroid reveal

-Possibly another Smash reveal

-Ends it with DK

Yep, I think they are gonna end it with our furry crew. I know Hyle said to set our expectations low for an E3 reveal, but DK at E3 has been a long tradition. I can't see them not revealing it at E3 and out of the blue, BOOM, a DK direct in July. As to why I think they'll end it with DK, well, Nintendo wants DK to become a big franchise right? What better way to drive that home then to reveal it as a one last thing.

Of course, this is according what type of game it is. If it's 2D, it probably won't be at the end of the direct. 3D, however... oh yeah! If 2D DK is hype, then 3D DK is Ultra Hype!

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hope everyone who celebrates it had a good Memorial Day, and a good day regardless to those who don't!

We're in June now, so E3 shouldn't be far off. Personally, I'm more interested in Sony's showcase but I'll be excited for Nintendo's too. We may finally get something concrete on these DK rumors, which if they're actually true we'll collectively lose our minds and go Ape S**t. Remember to hype responsibly in the meantime. Hype Overload and Hype Poisoning are real. Remember, "No Game(play), No Hype. Those is the rules" lol.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Go right ahead! I recently read up on the game after Deniro posted that vid. Apparently, it's created by newgrounds alumni (Castle Crashers etc) and has references to a bunch of stuff from that site's history and their animators like Egoraptor and OneyNG etc, etc. Recently, they opened the game up to modding and people have jumped all over it with their own spinoffs. Really cool stuff, but I think my favorite track from FNF is Roses. God that beat is dope:
The B-Side remix takes it to a whole nother level and I'm ecstatic to have both stuck in my head lol. I'd be really happy if you posted the art on the twitter page, and speaking of which, once again congrats to you and Sabertooth Sabertooth for getting 1,000 followers! Seriously, you both have taken it to a level I'd never reach and I'm really happy to see it happen. I might make more but no promises atm lol.

Also Snowbound, how come you didn't tell us about the YouTube page?! I bumped into it by accident and I subscribed earlier this week lol.
Thanks! Posted it! And I did actually post about the Youtube on Dixie's 25th birthday when I released the Dixie Kong stage concepts for Grassland Groove and Ghostly Grove! But maybe it got lost in the shuffle.

BTW for those that haven't seen:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
"I was born to be disappointed, not only in my hype but in myself."

-Justin Little :4pacman:
Sometimes I hesitate to like your posts cuz on one hand, I'm LMAO but on the other I'm like "...Is everything ok?"
Thanks! Posted it! And I did actually post about the Youtube on Dixie's 25th birthday when I released the Dixie Kong stage concepts for Grassland Groove and Ghostly Grove! But maybe it got lost in the shuffle.

BTW for those that haven't seen:

Oh! Sorry about that. I'll put these in the OP later today.

Top Bottom