• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
It's funny looking at my 3DS collection, I have like maybe four remakes and over twenty something new games as opposed to my Switch where about half the games are Wii U ports.
I cant wait for the Switch successor so Nintendo cant rely on ports/remakes as a crutch. They can't say "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ONLY sold 38 million copies on Switch so we're porting it to the Switch 2 as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Deluxe to recoup our losses on development".

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I cant wait for the Switch successor so Nintendo cant rely on ports/remakes as a crutch. They can't say "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ONLY sold 38 million copies on Switch so we're porting it to the Switch 2 as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Deluxe to recoup our losses on development".
Not saying they will, but they could still pull from Switch titles for the Switch 2. Mario Odyssey Deluxe, Smash Ultimate Deluxe, Splatoon 3 Deluxe, etc. I can't imagine a second port of Mario Kart 8, so we'll probably get a new one of those at some point, but they definitely have Switch games they could port in a pinch. shrug

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Not saying they will, but they could still pull from Switch titles for the Switch 2. Mario Odyssey Deluxe, Smash Ultimate Deluxe, Splatoon 3 Deluxe, etc. I can't imagine a second port of Mario Kart 8, so we'll probably get a new one of those at some point, but they definitely have Switch games they could port in a pinch. shrug
I'm thinking the Switch 2 is likely to have Backwards Compatibility lol.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Lord HELP us if this happens..if that happens I think Im officially done with Nintendo at that point. It was a fun 20 year ride. The only one out of that list I would be okay with is Smash because you cant get bigger than Ultimate and the only way forward is going down...and I know a LOT of people would hate that. Not me though as I would prefer a smaller more focused roster with character moveset revamps but at the same time if Ultimate got ported and added a few more characters in the deluxe version I also wouldn't complain especially if one of them was of course Dixie.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Lord HELP us if this happens..if that happens I think Im officially done with Nintendo at that point. It was a fun 20 year ride. The only one out of that list I would be okay with is Smash because you cant get bigger than Ultimate and the only way forward is going down...and I know a LOT of people would hate that. Not me though as I would prefer a smaller more focused roster with character moveset revamps but at the same time if Ultimate got ported and added a few more characters in the deluxe version I also wouldn't complain especially if one of them was of course Dixie.
Long as the characters that people asked to have for years and years like our current mains don't get cut, I'll be fine with whatever. Like it would be cool to see Ultimate get ported in some way, but it also makes sense for it to be a one time thing. In either scenario, Dixie will but but an afterthought addition which is disappointing, as we should've been had her. I am concerned as to how much a downward spiral Smash may be after Ultimate, but if we still have our mains, then I see some positives like less matchups to deal with on account of not everyone is here, but that's a topic for another day.

Oh, if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had been decently supported with DLC, I probably would’ve forgotten it was a port, but alas, all new Mario Kart content went to their mobile efforts. I guess it’ll make it that much more satisfying whenever Mario Kart 9 does happen, even if it’s on the current system like Splatoon 3.

On the last page topic, not sure what composers I'd like to see for a DK game besides the usual names (David Wise and such) from like Japan that we haven't gotten, but that is a good question. Kenji Yamamoto did alright for DKC Returns though I felt, and as the composer for pretty much all the Metroid games, he definitely has the range for a good DK soundtrack again if they were to go back to him.

Last edited:

BallZ

Smash Cadet
I don't see Switch 2 relying on ports, it will most likely have backwards compatibility if they stick to flash cards. I think they just used Wii U ports because it's an easy way to save time and money compared to making new games, and since the system bombed not many people played them anyways. They basically made back the money they lost on Wii U.

As for the next Smash Bros, I could see it being like Smash 4 where the roster has some characters leave and some new ones to take their place.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This might be naïve optimism on my part, but I could imagine the next console (ie something beyond a Switch Pro equivalent) being one that really does have some strong development and direction for various franchises.

Something that often comes up is that HD Development circa the Wii U ending up being more difficult than Nintendo anticipated and that a lot of potential momentum that console might have possessed otherwise was hurt by game creation in general taking longer than expected. Couple that with the need to incorporate the game pad and that probably stifled a lot of real growth some franchises could have had. The lagging sales likely convinced Nintendo to turn stuff like Breath of the Wild (and I suspect Mario Odyssey) into next gen projects and essentially reset the board with the Switch.

What I'm getting at is that the Switch was designed to do two things primarily; find a way to regain a casual audience without alienating the hardcore crowd (as it it had lost many of both circa 2011-2016) and to keep up the momentum while keeping costs down. Thus the Switch has a lot of games that are in fact ports, are heavily based on Wii U predecessors, or realistically aren't terrible costly to do. There are exceptions like Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, or Three Houses, but its a system in so many ways set up to be profitable while also efficient with game creation.

The silver lining to that though, is that I think that less resource intensive and successful titles now might potentially mean that real work has been able to be done for the major successors coming in the next few years. A Mario Kart 8 port with no DLC is frustrating at the moment, yet that could mean one hell of a Mario Kart 9 in the future. Same with Kirby, Pikmin, and perhaps DKC as well. While I don't think we're ever fully getting away from re-releases/remakes (Gamecube and Wii alone have too many titles Nintendo could easily update for release) I believe the next system will have a more original library than this one.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm thinking the Switch 2 is likely to have Backwards Compatibility lol.
I see backwards compatibility being unlikely for the next gen Nintendo console as the Switch doesn't have it and by next gen, they'll likely jump ship to digital and get rid of the ability to play physical games entirely on the system as that's the near future we are heading in. Some of these places like Best Buy and Wal-Mart are trying to sell off their remaining DVD/Blu-Ray stock and are mainly trying to sell all of that just online now. I went to my local Best Buy around a month ago and notice almost all the DVD/Blu Ray shelfs were empty and I ask a guy working there why that was and he told me "We are taking everything off the shelves and are going to sell this stuff online." I hate the thought of it, but the digital wave is near. Very soon, physical media won't be a thing anymore and be a product of the past and everything new that will get released will all be digital.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I see backwards compatibility being unlikely for the next gen Nintendo console as the Switch doesn't have it and by next gen, they'll likely jump ship to digital and get rid of the ability to play physical games entirely on the system as that's the near future we are heading in. Some of these places like Best Buy and Wal-Mart are trying to sell off their remaining DVD/Blu-Ray stock and are mainly trying to sell all of that just online now. I went to my local Best Buy around a month ago and notice almost all the DVD/Blu Ray shelfs were empty and I ask a guy working there why that was and he told me "We are taking everything off the shelves and are going to sell this stuff online." I hate the thought of it, but the digital wave is near. Very soon, physical media won't be a thing anymore and be a product of the past and everything new that will get released will all be digital.
I don’t think Nintendo’s going to jump that shark just yet. I’m think the Switch 2 will be backward compatible, even in the digital only version.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It’s worth noting that Nintendo was embracing backwards compatibility for home systems and handhelds until the Switch. It made sense why, the physical media were too different, the system was designed to be portable, and realistically there was more money in charging for Wii U ports.

For the next system it might be more practical to do backwards compatibility especially if stuff like the next Smash Bros is a long way off. Simply allowing people to play Ultimate on the Switch 2 saves Nintendo from likely having to renegotiate with a lot of third parties in regards to content in a port.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
OnThisDayInGaming has noticeably missed posting on the anniversary days of some of the older DK titles, like DKC1. Sure, there's similarly timed game anniversaries of Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda, but still, DKC's is just as important.

They get some points for posting TF's anniversay though, I suppose.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Yeah, but who is the real loser? It sure isn't the DK fans like me wasting time, energy, and money on this greedy mess.

I waste time at places like here. :shades:
At least there's one benefit to this current tour. You no longer have to SPEND MONEY to get Dixie Kong. She's now a regular High-End pull much like Funky Kong was made MONTHS ago.

All of these newcomers and returning drivers better not be wasted next Mario Kart. Especially characters like Dixie and Pauline who were among the MOST highly requested racers.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Good Vibes Gaming gave a nice shoutout to Dixie in their most recent Smash Discussion video, I think it's worth a listen. Dixie discussion starts at 6:44.
View attachment 314244
I like that segment a lot. They gave her a solid case and pushed back on a common tactic in a cool, open-minded way. Thanks.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
At least there's one benefit to this current tour. You no longer have to SPEND MONEY to get Dixie Kong. She's now a regular High-End pull much like Funky Kong was made MONTHS ago.

All of these newcomers and returning drivers better not be wasted next Mario Kart. Especially characters like Dixie and Pauline who were among the MOST highly requested racers.
also it is the last appearance of DK Jr.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Good Vibes Gaming gave a nice shoutout to Dixie in their most recent Smash Discussion video, I think it's worth a listen. Dixie discussion starts at 6:44.
View attachment 314244
Man, I get tired of others thinking Dixie as a Echo would suit best for her and nothing else. When will more people realize Dixie is more than just a girl Diddy?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Man, I get tired of others thinking Dixie as a Echo would suit best for her and nothing else. When will more people realize Dixie is more than just a girl Diddy?
Yeah, we gotta push back on that mindset. If it becomes the default opinion then that's a problem. She's got more going for her for that to be her only option.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah. It's a clear difference from looking at it as "just a possibility" and completely ignoring that she has multiple ways she can go. It's fine if people prefer one particular style over another, but she's clearly more than just a genderbent Diddy. She didn't start off as being super unique from him or anything, but a lot of other Player 2's didn't, and they still can be pretty damn unique(Ken isn't a good example, but look at Luigi. He stands out massively from Mario, ever since Melee alone). Echoes are awkward too, since they don't have clear information. We know same bodyshape(or barely inches apart) and the same weight(it's said all attributes, but only weight is actually clear to us).

I think it's clear that part of the reason why some are fine with Dixie being that is she doesn't lack these factors/go against the rules, so it's something people throw in. Some might also think it's her best chance(I think she'd be a semi, but I do think it's with a partner). Some people don't. Like with most characters, there's a clear set of opinions on how they'd work. At the very least, Pyra and Mythra do confirm that the idea of transformations isn't off the table. Either way, I hope she gets in soon, regardless of what they go with. She's one of the many missing all-stars, imo.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The guy who suggested that in the video also thought that Master Chief and Doomguy could be echos of each other, which.... uhh.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah. It's a clear difference from looking at it as "just a possibility" and completely ignoring that she has multiple ways she can go. It's fine if people prefer one particular style over another, but she's clearly more than just a genderbent Diddy. She didn't start off as being super unique from him or anything, but a lot of other Player 2's didn't, and they still can be pretty damn unique(Ken isn't a good example, but look at Luigi. He stands out massively from Mario, ever since Melee alone). Echoes are awkward too, since they don't have clear information. We know same bodyshape(or barely inches apart) and the same weight(it's said all attributes, but only weight is actually clear to us).

I think it's clear that part of the reason why some are fine with Dixie being that is she doesn't lack these factors/go against the rules, so it's something people throw in. Some might also think it's her best chance(I think she'd be a semi, but I do think it's with a partner). Some people don't. Like with most characters, there's a clear set of opinions on how they'd work. At the very least, Pyra and Mythra do confirm that the idea of transformations isn't off the table. Either way, I hope she gets in soon, regardless of what they go with. She's one of the many missing all-stars, imo.
Heyy I didn't think I'd see you here again! Not gonna lie, I'm pleasantly surprised to read this post; I checked out their sprite animations about a month back and they surprisingly have no overlaps. Even the basic stuff in the SNES DKCs are completely unique to each Kong, and to be honest, that's remarkable in an era where it made sense to just copy/paste frames and tweak the color a bit to call it a day. It's rare even nowadays.

Anyway, would you like to be added to the Support List? It's ok if you decline.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Heyy I didn't think I'd see you here again! Not gonna lie, I'm pleasantly surprised to read this post; I checked out their sprite animations about a month back and they surprisingly have no overlaps. Even the basic stuff in the SNES DKCs are completely unique to each Kong, and to be honest, that's remarkable in an era where it made sense to just copy/paste frames and tweak the color a bit to call it a day. It's rare even nowadays.

Anyway, would you like to be added to the Support List? It's ok if you decline.
Sure. Even if I support her differently for how she plays, I still want her in overall.

And huh. That's cool they did that. I can't say it'd apply to Smash in the same way, but this is a nice point to bring up too. :)

Top Bottom