• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie Kong will be the perfect Bonus Fighter to promote the new DKC Rumor if it does come true. And the DK Roster is not complete without Dixie Kong.
While we think that, I'm sure Nintendo doesn't. Plus we don't know for sure if bonus DLC fighters are happening after Fighter's Pass 2 is all wrapped up.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Been a while since the last moveset idea, and that's about to change now.

Once again we have the 5th Limb category for our latest move; stuff like swings, whips, grabs and throws...but with Dixie's hair as if it were an extra appendage. So without further ado, allow me to show the latest idea:

While having a seat, Dixie SWINGS her hair in a highly vertical arc. The swing packs a punch and affords Dixie an extended range as usual, but since this move starts on the ground, she creates a small gust of wind from the floor to push foes and items away. That aspect comes into play for those who just missed getting hit by the swing, and only applies to those on the ground. Her hair in this sense is performing an uppercut, meaning that this could be an Up Tilt or Up Smash depending on who you ask, and since she's sitting while performing it, perhaps we can call it a Sitting Uppercut? LOL, call it whatever you like!

Another move shared! Been showing off the versatility of her hair, and I'm far from done with what it can do. The next entry won't involve her hair at all if you can believe that, but it will be interesting nonetheless. Hope everyone likes this, and please put this on twitter when you get the chance! Always appreciated.

If anyone needs a rundown of potential moves for Dixie Kong or doubts her potential to stand out, you can check the OP for a dozen different sets as well as this google doc:
All the newer ideas are at the bottom under the Alternate moniker (Alternate jab, etc) so all you gotta do is click the table of contents to the left. Only caveat is that it looks better on desktop/laptop and maybe tablet than phone screens. If anyone knows how to fix that, LMK. The digital art have transparent backgrounds, and speaking of which here's the transparent version of this one:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Love it! When I read it this morning I could perfectly picture it. Unique and fun and yet another inventive and fresh way to use her hair. Great job! I already posted it!

I'm curious what the next Dixie ability you'll feature if it's not hair. Guitar? Bubblegum? Animal buddy? Kiddy? Maybe going the route Sakurai went with K. Rool's Down B and basing an attack off of the most popular search results on DeviantArt? I'm excited to see! Always nice to see your art.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Love it! When I read it this morning I could perfectly picture it. Unique and fun and yet another inventive and fresh way to use her hair. Great job! I already posted it!

I'm curious what the next Dixie ability you'll feature if it's not hair. Guitar? Bubblegum? Animal buddy? Kiddy? Maybe going the route Sakurai went with K. Rool's Down B and basing an attack off of the most popular search results on DeviantArt? I'm excited to see! Always nice to see your art.

Thanks! Glad you liked it, and you posted it fast! I can't say the ability yet but it's something that feels very in-character for Dixie lol. Also, I never noticed the banana bird before either.

the most popular search results on DeviantArt?

Oh no...

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Uh oh, this is how Donkey Kong-related misinformation spreads. Apparently because of me.

The banana bird is NOT in Mario Kart Tour. I just added it to a picture I took of Dixie since it looked like Dixie was holding something. The banana bird is actually a real life capsule toy from Japan.

Also, I hope this doesn't completely destroy your ability to trust other people, but the flowers directly behind Dixie and the banana bird are also fake. Added by me just to make the banana bird stand out.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Uh oh, this is how Donkey Kong-related misinformation spreads. Apparently because of me.

The banana bird is NOT in Mario Kart Tour. I just added it to a picture I took of Dixie since it looked like Dixie was holding something. The banana bird is actually a real life capsule toy from Japan.

Also, I hope this doesn't completely destroy your ability to trust other people, but the flowers directly behind Dixie and the banana bird are also fake. Added by me just to make the banana bird stand out.
Oh yeah, those flowers are from Animal Crossing...I think? Well, it's an amazing pic and I would love it if Nintendo incorporated these banana birds into the next DKC game.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

:deathstare:

Just as I randomly ran around town informing everybody around me about the grand implications this could have on our series and I see this.

And here I was thinking we could be getting some more Banana Bird lore in the next game. Now the people I came across will think I'm a psycho now for getting their hopes up.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

What if the banana bird is real but it's Dixie who is fake?

What can we trust?!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It is rather ironic:

During Brawl, K Rool was active and Dixie was in hibernation, but Brawl planned to add Dixie and skipped K Rool.

Then skip to Ultimate, where K Rool was inactive and Dixie came back in a main line game, and Ultimate adds K Rool and skips Dixie.

The moral here? K Rool and Dixie should have been in Smash before Ultimate.
Was she really? Because the DKC ports did really well on the GBA.

Diddy was only really "relevant" through this, and various appearances in Mario spinoffs. But they where kind of a big deal, like Mario Kart Double Dash, which was a very successful (and FUN!) Mario Kart title. To be honest I think that's the only Mario Kart title I felt that ever measured up to the fun that was Diddy Kong Racing.

But yeah it's weird Dixie was once considered and afterwards wasn't given even an afterthought for Smash 4 and Ultimate.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of the general issue is that DKC's biggest and most popular items/characters/stages often came from Western studios like Rare and Retro. Thus between the language barrier, inconsistent access to assets, and potential cultural contrasts, the Country elements have often not been the most relevant or important things to show up in crossovers, Smash included.

Its likely why DKC elements in SSB often feel a bit bog standard, with only arguably K Rool feeling like the one major aspect that feels wholly designed from games like the SNES trilogy and 64.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy was designed quite after DK64. And a bit of creative liberty, something not everyone can appropriate I've often read. I personally like Diddy simply for him being there, being a very strong character and extremely technical. Tweek, a professional player and currently the best Diddy player in Ultimate goes as far and calls Diddy the most technical character in Ultimate.

Edit: But I guess that wasn't the point huh..? I think the Rare elements where quite well incorporated into spinoff games honestly, until the moment we where expecting more than just DK and Diddy.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But yeah it's weird Dixie was once considered and afterwards wasn't given even an afterthought for Smash 4 and Ultimate.
It is bizarre. I remember someone on here had a theory that the reason Sakurai hasn't added Dixie yet is because he wants to revisit the Dixie/Kiddy idea or wants to go along with that for Dixie since she was with Diddy and Kiddy in DKC2 and 3. But I don't see that as the case.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It is bizarre. I remember someone on here had a theory that the reason Sakurai hasn't added Dixie yet is because he wants to revisit the Dixie/Kiddy idea or wants to go along with that for Dixie since she was with Diddy and Kiddy in DKC2 and 3. But I don't see that as the case.
I got a theory that she is saved for more... Low effort characters, as in semi clones, for a potential next game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I got a theory that she is saved for more... Low effort characters, as in semi clones, for a potential next game.
It's sad that's likely the case as Dixie deserves to be in Ultimate with DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie and all the veterans. If Dixie misses out in Ultimate, she will likely never be in a Smash game with all the veterans.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's sad that's likely the case as Dixie deserves to be in Ultimate with DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie and all the veterans. If Dixie misses out in Ultimate, she will likely never be in a Smash game with all the veterans.
I'm not sure. I really could see Ultimate being ported as the next generation Smash game, and add some low awaited newcomers from first party titles as Dixie, Bandana Dee, Impa, Tom Nook, and you name it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not sure. I really could see Ultimate being ported as the next generation Smash game, and add some low awaited newcomers from first party titles as Dixie, Bandana Dee, Impa, Tom Nook, and you name it.
Thing is, Ultimate has so much red tape behind it legally with it being the biggest gaming crossover in human history. Plus there are certain franchises that might be impossible to get back like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. I don't see a Ultimate port on the next gen console being likely.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
This was a list that was making the rounds on twitter a little while back.

In one regard, I can understand that "some" individuals may have been using this list for "waifu" material and I would understand if Dixie was excluded if that was the only purpose it was used for.

But at the same time, I look at the list and I see Isabelle, Rabbid Peach, Pokemon, Navi, Dark Samus, etc. Little weird that the dog, the rabbit, and the alien monster are OK but the ape is where you draw the line.

So clearly "waifu" wasn't the only purpose of the tier. Especially going off the creators comments that he also ranked for design.

I personally didn't care about "ranking" characters but making a "Nintendo girl" list without Dixie, well, just feels wrong.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Edit: But I guess that wasn't the point huh..? I think the Rare elements where quite well incorporated into spinoff games honestly, until the moment we where expecting more than just DK and Diddy.

In one regard, I can understand that "some" individuals may have been using this list for "waifu" material and I would understand if Dixie was excluded if that was the only purpose it was used for.

But at the same time, I look at the list and I see Isabelle, Rabbid Peach, Pokemon, Navi, Dark Samus, etc. Little weird that the dog, the rabbit, and the alien monster are OK but the ape is where you draw the line.

So clearly "waifu" wasn't the only purpose of the tier. Especially going off the creators comments that he also ranked for design.

I personally didn't care about "ranking" characters but making a "Nintendo girl" list without Dixie, well, just feels wrong.
This is what I specifically meant about the failure by Nintendo of Japan to really capitalize on the potential synergy of utilizing DK (& DKC elements) in crossover spin-off titles. If there's far more use of Dixie and the Country settings for stuff like Mario Kart, Party, or the sports titles in the years after the Rare buyout, then quite frankly we're looking at a much different level of brand awareness. Now granted this is hardly a problem limited to Donkey Kong, as the two major Wario series (Land & Ware) are grossly underrepresented in spin-offs. However it even more egregious with DK given the heights that series reached and strong presence it used to have as part of the broader Nintendo brand.

Not continuing that momentum in the aughts, even with the relative low cost of just having a Dixie in Mario Kart title once in a while, ended up being a creative and financial waste given what could have been. Whether that's because NoJ teams were uncomfortable using elements that Rare created or because there was just a lack of interest in them overall is irrelevant in the grand scheme because the result was the same; a potential A level franchise often feeling like a B level one to the general public.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do think various Mario spinoffs did well in representing DKC. I mean, there's Mario Power Tennis with the Kritters and Klap Traps on the DK court, Mario Party had DK themed areas before, some quite faithful to what DKC brought us. Errr.. well what else? Mario Strikers 2? DK and Diddy playable, and the Kritter goalie?

It's not much, but thematically, Dixie and K.Rool could've fit in there. If they wanted to. They didn't. Diddy just fitted there cause DK needed a partner at times, and who else is there really to choose from?

I do think it's quite possible we'll see more Kongs crossover into Mario games, but they need to be properly represented in their own franchise first.

A proper, actual crossover game between Mario and DK that ISN'T what Mario vs DK was is also a thing I'd like to see one day.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I will say if that the rumors are true and Nintendo EAD is in fact developing a DK (Country?) game, then we might very well see more use of the DK elements for those kind of spin-offs, if just because there's a greater likelihood of the same kind of teams working on them and/or easier use of DK assets for them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I will say one thing though, it makes me very giddy that Palutena is number 2 on that giant *** tier list as she's my favorite Smash girl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm liking Impa on place number 3, but I can't unsee Dixie being so obviously missing. Tiny is another quite relevant girl character that I feel is missing honestly. And why is Pyra a tier above the rest, but Mythra is nowhere to be found? It's flawed...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
To get away from the fairly depressing topic of Nintendo's mismanagement of the brand, let's shift to another matter. Assuming that the mainline DK game being worked on by NoJ is true, and that they're going for someone fairly close to home to do the music, which prominent composer (besides David Wise or Grant Kirkhope) would you want for the next DKC game?

Bit of an unorthodox choice, but I'd love to see what Yoko Shimomura could do in the context of Donkey Kong game. Her stuff in Mario RPG alone demonstrates her range, let alone her other work, and her skills in a DKC setting could be magic if done right.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
To get away from the fairly depressing topic of Nintendo's mismanagement of the brand, let's shift to another matter. Assuming that the mainline DK game being worked on by NoJ is true, and that they're going for someone fairly close to home to do the music, which prominent composer (besides David Wise or Grant Kirkhope) would you want for the next DKC game?

Bit of an unorthodox choice, but I'd love to see what Yoko Shimomura could do in the context of Donkey Kong game. Her stuff in Mario RPG alone demonstrates her range, let alone her other work, and her skills in a DKC setting could be magic if done right.
Koji Kando.

worked for Mario Maker.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I will say if that the rumors are true and Nintendo EAD is in fact developing a DK (Country?) game, then we might very well see more use of the DK elements for those kind of spin-offs, if just because there's a greater likelihood of the same kind of teams working on them and/or easier use of DK assets for them.
Yo so I've been giving this some thought and meditation, and I suddenly came to think, what if Nintendo actually filled adopts the DKC brand, and turns the 90s stereotypes of the Kongs which we had in the earlier games into Japanese typical stereotypes instead? Not going into extremes, but it would help the team with adding a deeper layer of character into the cast. DK can already fit quite well into this I feel, he's basically a similar sort of main hero as say, Goku, but more laid-back. There's quite some Japanese type of stereotypes for the hero's sidekick and his girlfriend for Diddy and Dixie, and Cranky also fits well into certain Japanese tropes for old cranky men. But what about the rest? Funky is literally as 90s as it gets, and I hope that won't change. But for other Kongs we haven't seen for a while, I think they could go for a bit of a overhaul. What do you guys think the effect on the presentation of the Kong family will be, once they be given in the hands of Japanese developers ?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Idk man Japanese developers from what we have seen haven't fully respected the Kongs personalities IMO.

Paon/Retro Cranky is so tame compared to Rare Cranky you would think someone gave Cranky a lobotomy or something.

K.Rool lost all his goofy menace IMO once Paon took him over in King of Swing/Jungle Climber he literally felt like the "Bowser knockoff" his detractors made him out to be. Luckily Sakurai actually got and understood the character and did him justice in Ultimate.

Nintendo Teenage Tiny is no where near the same Tiny Rare created. I get why they changed her to differentiate her from Dixie more but still...

Donkey Kong is just all over the place. In DKC 1 he was a standard gorilla, in DK64 he had the cool laidback guy personality who is ready to take on the world and not worry about anything in the slightest, then he became a jolly gorilla in Mario spin-offs with a **** eating grin and then in Jungle Beat hes a pissed off ape that's mad at the world and then in the Mario vs. DK series hes a jealous and envious gorilla and then in the Retro games hes back to being more of a DKC and DK64 hybrid..

Then theirs Chunky and Lanky who arguably had the most personality at of all the playable Kongs just sorta disappeared off the face of the planet...

Not to say all the Kongs have had drastic character changes though. Wrinkly, Candy, Funky, Diddy, and Dixie have mostly remained in tact.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yo so I've been giving this some thought and meditation, and I suddenly came to think, what if Nintendo actually filled adopts the DKC brand, and turns the 90s stereotypes of the Kongs which we had in the earlier games into Japanese typical stereotypes instead? Not going into extremes, but it would help the team with adding a deeper layer of character into the cast. DK can already fit quite well into this I feel, he's basically a similar sort of main hero as say, Goku, but more laid-back. There's quite some Japanese type of stereotypes for the hero's sidekick and his girlfriend for Diddy and Dixie, and Cranky also fits well into certain Japanese tropes for old cranky men. But what about the rest? Funky is literally as 90s as it gets, and I hope that won't change. But for other Kongs we haven't seen for a while, I think they could go for a bit of a overhaul. What do you guys think the effect on the presentation of the Kong family will be, once they be given in the hands of Japanese developers ?
This is a loaded question, and I wanted to give it some real thought before responding. While I'm not against the idea of updating the DKC cast to a degree, I there's two major things to consider; how much of the current titles' appeal lies in what they are and what could be gained vs. what could be lost by a shift in characterization.

Part of my reticence towards personality changes is that the franchise still feels like its attempting to get itself reestablished after coming back from the aughts, and that with Returns playing things fairly safe, its only really been Tropical Freeze as the game to really go big on the extended cast (Dixie, Funky, & Cranky included) and make the biggest evolutions in terms of the setting/lore. Between that and many only discovering TF via the Switch port, it seems a bit too early to go for a full blown evolution of the cast. One of the major issues with Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was that Rare perceived a staleness to the series that the fans didn't share. Thus N&B wasn't received as a breath of fresh air, but as a gimmicky experiment that fundamentally wasn't the Banjo Threeie people wanted. My sense is that DKC is in a similar place.

The other matter is a question if Nintendo EAD's general changes would be for the better. That's hard to say, even beyond not knowing what they'd specifically be. The move from the Western and Japanese canons in the Classic era of Sonic to the shared continuity of the latter did prove controversial, even though there were reasons it made sense given Sega's direction for the IP. I won't necessarily outright say that DKC is inherently Western, but its sensibilities did feel often feel a bit distinct from other Nintendo franchises, even if Rare and Retro's approaches differed from each other. A Donkey Kong changed to be a bit closer to NoJ's approach (however that can be defined) has its upsides and downsides. It would likely get that sector more invested in overall development, but it also risks losing the unique identity that the series has developed.

Can the same company that made a Mario game full of life in Odyssey while also flattening much of the quirky nature of Paper Mario be trusted to update DKC without losing its charm? I honestly don't know.

Top Bottom